• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

E92 M3

As much as I am loving Halo 5 right now, map design needs a serious reworking. I only truly love 2 maps: Truth and Empire. Everything else is serviceable. I hope future DEV maps (not forge) are more artistic and creative like the previous Halo games.

No point in mercenaries playlist as solo's would just stick to that and pre-mades would search each other in the main list. Just do it the way Bungie happily operates literally very ranked section of MM in H2, 3 and Reach and match parties v parties and solo's and 2's against each other. So simple. Blaming 343 for latency and BK's on your team is silly but they are to blame for their parties v randoms policy.

BraXzy

Jehrhfnocuaodkgnxisoentheo!!!%%#

Nothing frustrates me more about solo queue in Team playlists than calling out and having zero people even hear never mind respond. So many missed kills because people are too busy chatting to their buddy on Fifa instead of trying to communicate and win the game they're playing...

arimanius

Jehrhfnocuaodkgnxisoentheo!!!%%#

Nothing frustrates me more about solo queue in Team playlists than calling out and having zero people even hear never mind respond. So many missed kills because people are too busy chatting to their buddy on Fifa instead of trying to communicate and win the game they're playing...

I'm one of those horrible people. I actually have my voice chat setting set to friends only.

JackHerer

Bonus for streaks and challenges etc have been suggested quite a lot. I definitely agree that more positive reinforcement will probably work better. People quit out and then get pissed later when they're banned, that doesn't really stop the initial quit. Maybe it stops future quits.

So a reason to suffer through even a terrible match would be a double whammy. Fingers crossed they take the feedback on board and implement something sooner rather than later.

I would love to see them implement something like what Destiny has for its strike playlists (and maybe Crucible too?): streak bonuses. As long as you don't exit the queue, you have a higher chance of legendaries dropping after playing consecutive strikes. In Halo 5 they could have REQ and XP rewards increased by 1.5x as long as you stay in matchmaking (i.e. don't quit and re-renter).

Just one idea. It really might help to give some kind of extra incentive to stay in and continue playing instead of just rage quitting if a match doesn't go their way.

I'm just really glad they are implementing updates monthly. Even some hotfixes in between on the server side.

Sure it's been out for almost 2 months, but we've seen great involvement from 343i. let us not forget that, yeah?

yeah? guys? where you going?. .. guys!?

Glass

I'm just really glad they are implementing updates monthly. Even some hotfixes in between on the server side.

Sure it's been out for almost 2 months, but we've seen great involvement from 343i. let us not forget that, yeah?

yeah? guys? where you going?. .. guys!?

i r not going anywhere

They've tapped into a good thing with the monthly stuff. Something always to look forward to, whilst having fun in the meantime. And I don't think Forge's late release was part of the monthly sustain policy. It's got a few bugs and kinks that need working out, and the forge team seems pretty small. I'm pretty sure the extra time on it was needed etc.

Going forward new things being implemented into the game in a timely manner (e.g file browser and good community creations in a specific playlist) will be just as important as new dev maps to look forward to.

Sullichin

Had a free for all match I didn't think was anything special.. 25k/27d, but did manage to get first place. Then I check the carnage report and all 25 of my kills were headshots. :D I am a huge fan of Arena in this game but feel its lacking severely in progression/reward system for those who just prefer arena. These are my standing complaints with arena mode...

- My rank means nothing. It resets, and it's very difficult to get out of the bracket you are placed in after your first 10 matches. I find it's not an accurate representation of my skills. I have higher rank in playlists I do worse in.

- The game is great at acknowledging cool stuff with medals, but they don't show medals after the end of the match. The commendations (like get 50 kills with a weapon or whatever) are buried in menus.

- Weapon skins are stupidly rare, and only affect loadout weapons. You won't see your SMG skin in Arena unless there happens to be a mode that spawns you with an SMG.

- I know the cards are mostly for Warzone.. but it's the reward system for Arena too, and the rewards don't make any sense there. I have hundreds of weapon cards I will never use. And adding an option to buy $100 worth of these cards is disgusting. I can't believe anyone would spend $100 on so much nothing!

- People sure are against join in progress, but I wish it was there. Doubles when someone on the other team quits is boring. I wouldn't mind joining a match in progress every once in a while if it means empty games I'm stuck in will get filled up.

- Oddball, Assault, etc are still missing in action

Halo 5 is one of my GOTYs because of arena gameplay alone. But even if I don't use them, all of this requisition card bullshit feels gross.

Jebron

Had a free for all match I didn't think was anything special.. 25k/27d, but did manage to get first place. Then I check the carnage report and all 25 of my kills were headshots. :D I am a huge fan of Arena in this game but feel its lacking severely in progression/reward system for those who just prefer arena. These are my standing complaints with arena mode...

- My rank means nothing. It resets, and it's very difficult to get out of the bracket you are placed in after your first 10 matches. I find it's not an accurate representation of my skills. I have higher rank in playlists I do worse in.

- The game is great at acknowledging cool stuff with medals, but they don't show medals after the end of the match. The commendations (like get 50 kills with a weapon or whatever) are buried in menus.

- Weapon skins are stupidly rare, and only affect loadout weapons. You won't see your SMG skin in Arena unless there happens to be a mode that spawns you with an SMG.

- I know the cards are mostly for Warzone.. but it's the reward system for Arena too, and the rewards don't make any sense there. I have hundreds of weapon cards I will never use. And adding an option to buy $100 worth of these cards is disgusting. I can't believe anyone would spend $100 on so much nothing!

- People sure are against join in progress, but I wish it was there. Doubles when someone on the other team quits is boring. I wouldn't mind joining a match in progress every once in a while if it means empty games I'm stuck in will get filled up.

- Oddball, Assault, etc are still missing in action

Halo 5 is one of my GOTYs because of arena gameplay alone. But even if I don't use them, all of this requisition card bullshit feels gross.

A couple things to keep in mind:

- Treat your rank as a long-term measurement of progression. With a game like Halo, month-to-month progress is not shown very well, but if you set goals and targets long-term (like 6-8 months away), I think it will be a little more useful for you.

- The after match medal showcase would be fantastic.

- Weapon skins are supposed to be rare, it's one of the coolest customization options in the game so I think the intention was to have them be harder to obtain.

- Let people spend their money on the micro-transactions. No one is forcing you to spend you money on them, so let the other people fund future development on Halo 5 and other 343i games with their money instead of yours. I don't see why people that don't buy these complain, it's irrelevant to you so just forget about it and move on. Arena needs to stay balanced so 343i has taken the "safe" approach there.

- Join in progress is a double edged sword, people will complain if it's implemented and complain if it's absent.

Trup1aya

Yeah, that's logical. Ultimately, my apprehension arises from the fact that at a glance my win % looks absolutely horrendous without further digging in.

Btw, seasons are 1 month right? I am really excited to start next season, until recently I have been suffering with controls and now that I have everything set it will be great to start season 2 with a bang.

Yup, 1 month per reset. It is pretty exciting I must admit.

Eh. Other titles don't count a 3rd place out of 6 a loss. Since I'm at work, I can't elaborate too much, but a 3rd place finish is still placing better than half of the competition. I'm a fan of the 1st place winner, 2nd and 3rd place neutral, 4th and lower loss.

But 3rd place out of 6 is losing...

The current system does recognize that you beat some of your competition (that's what your "place" represents). But winning, by definition, means beating all of your completion. Not half.

The ranking system however, takes into account the players you placed ahead of and those you've placed behind.

So if you come in 2nd place out of six, your CSR will reflect you losing to one person, but beating 4 others. So all is not lost simply because you didn't finish at the very top.

No it didnt, bloom had a spread were the max bloom made the bullet land in random spot within the bloom, this made the results on 1 v 1 a roll of the dice, you wanted to pace your shot while someone was spaming and he would win the DMR battle, and thats was people problem with bloom, spamers had a chance to win out someone pacing.

When the Bloom was taken out it wasnt a instant 5 sk weapon as many tought, it improved the kill times while keeping it hard to do a 5sk given how hard was to land a 5th shot in the head.

I think Reach DMR is perfect right now..It's fun and satisfying to use and it's not as effective as H4/5 DMR at long range.

Strider

I have every single rare, uncommon, and common req except for the emblems... Which means I still have a lot of silvers left to open lol 40 left I think...

Ryde3

why on earth do I not get an assist for driving a warthog?! I get a medal, cool, but I want those assists!!! How this isn't included baffles me.

JackHerer

My biggest pet peeve in this game right now is Onyx level players who don't communicate at all. It's absolutely terrible and causes me to lose so many matches IMO.

Most have mics but barely use them and then there's the jerks in party chat who match in groups of twos or threes and don't send you a party invite. That's the worst because you know they can't even hear you at all.

I don't understand how people at that level who obviously are trying to play competitively decide not to use their mic. The advantage calling out gives is huge AND it makes games much more fun!

I'd like to see party chat banned in ranked play if that's even possible. I know it won't happen but I can dream.

link1201

I'm not a grifball player but even I am really missing the hammer. Would love to see what they could do with the assassination animation while holding it.

Ramirez

My biggest pet peeve in this game right now is Onyx level players who don't communicate at all. It's absolutely terrible and causes me to lose so many matches IMO.

Most have mics but barely use them and then there's the jerks in party chat who match in groups of twos or threes and don't send you a party invite. That's the worst because you know they can't even hear you at all.

I don't understand how people at that level who obviously are trying to play competitively decide not to use their mic. The advantage calling out gives is huge AND it makes games much more fun!

I'd like to see party chat banned in ranked play if that's even possible. I know it won't happen but I can dream.

Even if they banned party chat, I still wouldn't talk to you. (you, being any random in general)

I've had my fill of music blaring, ragers, and screaming from randoms over the years, pass.

Im not onyx, but i have some reasons why i dont use my mic...

Sorry guys, for being the pain in your enjoyment.

1 - my voice travels too much in our house that i will wake up my toddler and infant in the next room/same room as they nap.
2 - my play session is usually 1 to 2 games at a time. I just want to pick up, play for about 15 minutes then do what i need to do. finding my mic in some box wastes my time. time i don't have.
3 - I don't like chatting with randoms because they usually are just kids who yell prophanity and only use my mic when i group with friends, in a party.
4 - spartan chatter takes care of all the necessary call-outs i would do. They tell me what weapon they have, if they have no sheilds, if they are engaging an enemy, if i should take cover, etc.

Well, after going over that. im not that sorry. Randoms gun do what a randoms gun do.

Haruko

I have every single rare, uncommon, and common req except for the emblems... Which means I still have a lot of silvers left to open lol 40 left I think...

A lot of the emblems are tied to commendations so you may not be that far off.

Yep, over 100 of the Rare emblems are not found in standard packs (they are Commendation or other special rewards).

I have 1 uncommon (new Cone'd emblem) and 2 rares (new assassination and the Rare SPNKr variant) left to unlock from the Forge update, and then I'll be back on the Gold Pack diet.

BraXzy

A lot of emblems are to do with commendation packs so its not quite as bad as you think. I suddenly got a fair amount of certs towards the end though.

As happy as I am to be done with Golds, cba with the even longer wait between packs :'(

Magwik

Banned
Probably should have asked a long time ago but are there any SWAT regulars here? If there are I definitely need others to team up with.

Strider

I don't understand how people at that level who obviously are trying to play competitively

How do you figure that? I'd glady play social but the current social offering sucks given it's snipers over and over. I don't consider myself a competitive player at all.

I'd like to see party chat banned in ranked play if that's even possible.

Then I'd just hit mute all right when the game started. Still accomplishing nothing...

Even if they banned party chat, I still wouldn't talk to you. (you, being any random in general)

I've had my fill of music blaring, ragers, and screaming from randoms over the years, pass.

and it's for reasons like this... I don't care to talk to randoms.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
My sons birthday is today, he loves it. My daughter, who is 5, has been running around the house shooting it for the past hour though. She said "dad, I guess I like halo after all"

E92 M3

If I only care about skins, should I bother exhausting all of the bronze req packs?

Also, please 343, add a sell all or bulk option.

My sons birthday is today, he loves it. My daughter, who is 5, has been running around the house shooting it for the past hour though. She said "dad, I guess I like halo after all"

Happy birthday to your son! that's awesome. haah when i put on the game, my 3yr old daughter says.. "you watch halo?" lol

JackHerer

Damn you guys are really exaggerating. That happens once and a while and you mute them instantly. I definitely can deal with the occasional twat in exchange for meeting the rare cool person who isn't asocial and likes to communicate with their teammates.

4v4 is way more fun when people work together and talk. I know you can't force people to do so and I know that's not realistic and would not be appreciated by people like Ramirez who feel they need their safe space from the riffraff. Communicating to me is just part of being a good teammate once you are in the higher ranks, because not doing so can and will cause you to lose games and just generally get stomped.

My 3yo boy says that he wants to watch robots (halo), my gf won't allow it though.

she isn't the mom so eff her opinion! JK haha

Or maybe... when palying halo while he is watching, just making a bunch of kid friendly sound effects so they laugh?
like when you die.. you .. uhh.. fart?

o_O... maybe im just too extreme

Damn you guys are really exaggerating. That happens once and a while and you mute them instantly. I definitely can deal with the occasional twat in exchange for meeting the rare cool person who isn't asocial and likes to communicate with their teammates.

4v4 is way more fun when people work together and talk. I know you can't force people to do so and I know that's not realistic and would not be appreciated by people like Ramirez who feel they need their safe space from the riffraff. Communicating to me is just part of being a good teammate once you are in the higher ranks, because not doing so can and will cause you to lose games and just generally get stomped.

Time to start recruiting a fireteam jack :p

I think those higher end players who don't use a mic probably worked their way up there solo so they don't see the need now. idk just guessing really. sorry some of your games have been lack luster :(

I am a huge fan of Arena in this game but feel its lacking severely in progression/reward system for those who just prefer arena. These are my standing complaints with arena mode...
Yeah, I think they should shower us with RP because that'll incentivize people to keep playing, and Warzone would be more fun for it too. Currently it takes too long to unlock things, especially if you enjoy Arena more.

Spasm

Yup. The most pressing thing H5 needs ASAP is the ability to mute in the pregame lobby. Nothing sends me into a rage quicker than pregame noise.

JackHerer

Time to start recruiting a fireteam jack :p

I think those higher end players who don't use a mic probably worked their way up there solo so they don't see the need now. idk just guessing really. sorry some of your games have been lack luster :(

I think you're right :) Only realistic solution.

That's actually a sensible explanation for the mindset of some of these players. I do think the addition of more social playlists would also help this little issue. Right now there aren't many choices for people who don't want to play a serious match.

I've been enjoying the game a ton anyway, especially since the aiming update.

To play Halo MM consistently you need to be a player with a thick skin when it comes to what are you getting in a game and the BS that might happen, stuff like Shotguns shot not killing someone, people surviving nades, you getting killed by one nade even tough you had what it looked like full shield, maps that you don't like, bad teammates, quitters, a team of pro in the other team, lag, your shot not registering the last headshot, nade spam, campers, lousy spawns...not every Match need to be an easy win with nothing bad happening, if you cant stomach stuff like this to happen, then Halo (not just Halo 5) isnt for you.

The bolded was mentioning stuff that happened to me on Halo Reach.

This is true about any game that does not support server selection in my experience. It might be a bit more obvious in Halo because of the TTK but in general you will always have a less-than-perfect experience when playing with higher latency than the other players in the match. Things were much worse with P2P but even still getting put on a US server is not fun right now.

I'm going home over Christmas and won't be able to play any Halo until January but just wanted to say I am really impressed by the December update and am excited to see what's coming up in January once I'm back. If we could just get a couple of classic game modes and some of the best Forge maps added into playlists that would be enough for me...

arimanius

Pre-Season is over Spartans! Season 1 kicks off with Cartographers Gift in ranked Arena playlists. Finish all of your placement matches in a playlist to unlock a one-time only Season 1 REQ Pack at the end of the Season.

So does the special req package at the end of the season go for doubles as well or just the standard arena modes?

E92 M3

I watched the exorcist at 4 or 5. Lol I say to my gf all the time no one gave a fuck back in the day

Yeah, we can't always be coddling our kids all the time. I've been watching horror movies and playing violent games my whole life and have no inherent violent tendencies. It comes down to the parents.

You should let him, he is your son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom