• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackHerer

Using myself as an example: I absolutely HATED playing Halo 5 until the controls patch came out with various adjustment and then it took me a week to get the perfect settings. Just imagine how many players said fuck it and never returned? The general public does not even go into the options settings let alone mess around with various settings.

I think 343 needs to patch the default to be better and allow everyone else to change it how they want.

The deadzone was always the biggest issue for me. It made the game.... uncomfortable... is the only way I can describe it. I always felt a little nervous because I was constantly battling the controls. The default deadzone makes the game feel like it has some weird input lag because of that tiny but noticeable fraction of a second where you're moving the stick and nothing happens. Now I can just concentrate on the game without thinking about my shot because it feels natural again.

They really should bring it down by at least half. I'm interested to see how my brothers (casual gamers) react when I show them how to tweak the settings.

People need to accept that Halo will never have the popularity that it used to.

I said this in another thread, but the reason Halo up to 3 was a juggernaut was because it appealed to core fans and casual shooter players.

When COD rose to popularity, casual fans migrated to that game with their friends.

Halo 4 didn't appeal to the either group in the mp side of things because the core didn't like the changed mechanics and the casual players just played COD.

Halo 5 is a step in the right direction because 343 realized they have to appeal to Halo fans. That's why this game has such a competitive focus and goes back to Halo roots (while adding new, balanced abilities). And that's completely fine. They're very receptive to fan feedback so I wouldn't be surprised if we end up getting a lot of the things we ask for somewhere down the line (maybe a proper fileshare or maybe a PVE horde-like mode if you're optimistic).

Point is, casual shooter fans won't come back to Halo. Keep in mind that Halo is losing mindshare among teenagers and kids because it's an Xbox exclusive, which isn't the lead platform, and it doesn't have a huge Twitch presense.

But it doesn't have to be a bad thing and we don't have to be worried about it.

Trup1aya

People need to accept that Halo will never have the popularity that it used to.

I said this in another thread, but the reason Halo up to 3 was a juggernaut was because it appealed to core fans and casual shooter players.

When COD rose to popularity, casual fans migrated to that game with their friends.

Halo 4 didn't appeal to the either group in the mp side of things because the core didn't like the changed mechanics and the casual players just played COD.

Halo 5 is a step in the right direction because 343 realized they have to appeal to Halo fans. That's why this game has such a competitive focus and goes back to Halo roots (while adding new, balanced abilities). And that's completely fine. They're very receptive to fan feedback so I wouldn't be surprised if we end up getting a lot of the things we ask for somewhere down the line (maybe a proper fileshare or maybe a PVE horde-like mode if you're optimistic).

Point is, casual shooter fans won't come back to Halo. Keep in mind that Halo is losing mindshare among teenagers and kids because it's an Xbox exclusive, which isn't the lead platform, and it doesn't have a huge Twitch presense.

But it doesn't have to be a bad thing and we don't have to be worried about it.

I don't think anyone here thinks halo will return to its former glory...

We really just want to be able to keep getting good matches for a while. And maybe for other folks to give it a try who would otherwise over look it

E92 M3

The deadzone was always the biggest issue for me. It made the game.... uncomfortable... is the only way I can describe it. I always felt a little nervous because I was constantly battling the controls. The default deadzone makes the game feel like it has some weird input lag because of that tiny but noticeable fraction of a second where you're moving the stick and nothing happens. Now I can just concentrate on the game without thinking about my shot because it feels natural again.

They really should bring it down by at least half. I'm interested to see how my brothers (casual gamers) react when I show them how to tweak the settings.

Let us know how it goes, would be great to hear other results.

We really just want to be able to keep getting good matches for a while. And maybe for other folks to give it a try who would otherwise over look it

Exactly. It's very disheartening to not be able to get a game in any given playlist.

Well, I mean, Jack the Nipper and Antitype seem to think that all it will take to get back to "the good ole' days" is good maps and cutting sprint.

LOL

Yeah I would love for new people to get into the series, but I don't see it happening.

I didn't realize there were issues with finding matches. It's been fine for me so maybe it's a regional thing.

Well, I mean, Jack the Nipper and Antitype seem to think that all it will take to get back to "the good ole' days" is good maps and cutting sprint.

LOL

Well some people are delusional and ignore the context I'm which the games were released. The difference in popularity for new vs old Halo is not attributable to the quality of the games, but rather the market

jem0208

I've found the matchmaking in this game to be quite odd.

I've had more close games (winning or losing by less than 2 or 3 kills) in H5 than probably the entirety of the rest of the series combined. However, it's not rare that I have to carry a team of thumbless idiots.

I quite like the matchmaking as it is. It can be frustrating at times but I'm constantly getting very close and exciting matches which is awesome.

Trup1aya

LOL

Yeah, some folks could use a lesson in cause and effect.

Of course I'd be willing to eat crow if, halo 6 came out sprint free, with a bunch of remade h2 and 3 maps, and it suddenly sold a bunch of Xboxes and dethrowned COD.

Haha

Exactly. It's very disheartening to not be able to get a game in any given playlist.

Luckily, we aren't anywhere near that (at least where I live). I'm still getting games in under a minute.

Fuchsdh

Plaza and Overgrowth made me want an ODST-ish successor where you explore and wander through a partially ruined city a la Rapture in Bioshock, but in SPAAAACCEE

Can't say I love the map but it's probably one of my GOAT picks for aesthetics.

Strider

My first gold pack gave me the ruptive magnum skin

I need all the magnum skins

Caja 117

Yes, towards that direction for sure. Maybe have waterfalls, grass, snow, trees, mountains and things of that sort. When I think of Halo MP, I think of those elements in the map design.

Speaking of aesthetic, Im not a fan of the colors used on foreruner structures in maps, I liked more the clasic look, it gave a feeling of something ancient, I loved that.

Yes, towards that direction for sure. Maybe have waterfalls, grass, snow, trees, mountains and things of that sort. When I think of Halo MP, I think of those elements in the map design.

Yeah, we've been spoiled by bungie when they had a very good mixture of maps. Even with UNSC themed, some have that great characterists and didn't feel like a copy/paste job.

although, some of the halo 4 maps were really cool, like abandon.

Speaking of aesthetic, Im not a fan of the colors used on foreruner structures in maps, I liked more the clasic look, it gave a feeling of something ancient, I loved that.

Yeah, the exploding pee ball turret is an eye sore.

Trup1aya

Short of a spectacular feature film I don't see it happening with the game as is.

Halo will be an industry stalwart that will always have a built in fan base.

I'm under the impression that folks equate 'new users' with 'a massive influx of new users' that's not what I'm getting at.

link1201

I've found the matchmaking in this game to be quite odd.

I've had more close games (winning or losing by less than 2 or 3 kills) in H5 than probably the entirety of the rest of the series combined. However, it's not rare that I have to carry a team of thumbless idiots.

I quite like the matchmaking as it is. It can be frustrating at times but I'm constantly getting very close and exciting matches which is awesome.
In my experience it's the best mm experience in a Halo game to date. I'm not overly concerned with my rank but I do like to try and rank up here and there. However, I'm mostly in winnable games playing against people I have a shot at killing. It's very refreshing. I feel bad for folks in the top ranks who can't find a game but I don't want to play against them and I'm sure they don't want to play against me unless they just want to pad their stats. Being in the middle of the bell curve generally gives me well balanced matches in seconds.

E92 M3

Indeed, I agree 100%.

Yeah, we've been spoiled by bungie when they had a very good mixture of maps. Even with UNSC themed, some have that great characterists and didn't feel like a copy/paste job.

although, some of the halo 4 maps were really cool, like abandon.

Yeah, the exploding pee ball turret is an eye sore.

I actually think Halo 4 had some really cool maps and I remember enjoying most of them. That's why it became a surprise to see the direction they went with in Halo 5.

I think I've hit the point where I need a break from Halo 5. Playing Slayer, CTF, and Strongholds every time has gotten boring. I was starting to get bored of these game modes prior to the Forge update and seeing only those game modes available with Forge is extremely disappointing. The January update needs to have some new game modes.

I think I've hit the point where I need a break from Halo 5. Playing Slayer, CTF, and Strongholds every time has gotten boring. I was starting to get bored of these game modes prior to the Forge update and seeing only those game modes available with Forge is extremely disappointing. The January update needs to have some new game modes.

I'd wager that if the January update doesn't include more varied game modes it will be the straw that broke the camel's back for a bunch of people. As much as I like Warzone I hate that the focus on it drew so many resources away from traditional Halo fare.

LOL

I never said that.

I have no problem with sprint.

I don't think Halo will ever ascend back to the top of the multiplayer shooter heap. However, the idea that because Call of Duty exists, Halo can never attract casual players again is madness. Halo always required skill, yet always managed to get casual players anyway. Why? An emphasis on player experience.

Casual players could play and enjoy Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo Reach because strong matchmaking ensured they were placed in matches that gave them a fair shot. Lobby systems that allowed players to party up easily. A wide range of social playlists. Content like Forge, File Sharing, and Firefight afforded the least competitive players alternative means of having fun exclusively with friends.

I don't think the esports angle is a particularly fruitful one. Esports follows the mass market audience, not the other way around. Games that are played by a wide and diverse audience will naturally drive more views and get more emphasis from the major esports programs. Trying to win over esports and hope that will elicit interest from the mass market is backwards thinking. I see no evidence of it working, nor has it ever really worked for any game. Esports interest followed mainstream enthusiasm and population growth.

The exclusive emphasis on 'pro's was a misstep. Halo succeeded when it put the player experience first.

A few questions: when do the basement front doors on deadlock open? Also, I'm not complaining but why would I get positive towards Gold 2 on FFA if I went -6.0 KDA and came in 4th?

pieface

So multiple games on Overgrowth, and its still absolutely shocking. Such an awful awful map. Not the type of map I attribute to Halo at all.

E92 M3

I never said that.

I don't think Halo will ever ascend back to the top of the multiplayer shooter heap. However, the idea that because Call of Duty exists, Halo can never attract casual players again is madness. Halo always required skill, yet always managed to get casual players anyway. Why? An emphasis on player experience.

Casual players could play and enjoy Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo Reach because strong matchmaking ensured they were placed in matches that gave them a fair shot. Lobby systems that allowed players to party up easily. A wide range of social playlists. Content like Forge, File Sharing, and Firefight afforded the least competitive players alternative means of having fun exclusively with friends.

I don't think the esports angle is a particularly fruitful one. Esports follows the mass market audience, not the other way around. Games that are played by a wide and diverse audience will naturally drive more views and get more emphasis from the major esports programs. Trying to win over esports and hope that will elicit interest from the mass market is backwards thinking. I see no evidence of it working, nor has it ever really worked for any game. Esports interest followed mainstream enthusiasm and population growth.

The exclusive emphasis on 'pro's was a misstep. Halo succeeded when it put the player first.

Yeah, I agree too much discussion about pros, tournaments and ranking systems. Casual players are very intimidated by this, I think. It's nice that 343 has a pro team to balance stuff and such, but they should not always be discussed.

Here's hope that 2016 makes Halo 5 feature rich just like the previous games.

The last three Warzone Assault games my buddy and I played last night were just absolute blowouts. The end of one match had us with no energy against a team of 2 Mantises, 1 Banshee,1 Wraith, multiple Ghosts, a Warthog with explosive rounds... fucking balls it was ridiculous and impenetrable.

belushy

Banned
So multiple games on Overgrowth, and its still absolutely shocking. Such an awful awful map. Not the type of map I attribute to Halo at all.

It feels kinda like a COD map to me. Tight corners all over the place for autos and shotguns to have a field day.

Yeah, I agree too much discussion about pros, tournaments and ranking systems. Casual players are very intimidated by this, I think. It's nice that 343 has a pro team to balance stuff and such, but they should not always be discussed.

Here's hope that 2016 makes Halo 5 feature rich just like the previous games.

It's the sum experience, from the moment you start the game.

Halo 2 and Halo 3 (which was an iteration) were purposely designed to make players feel like they were sitting on the couch with their friends or at a LAN party.

Halo 5 feels like it's designed to mimic the environment of a tournament.

You come into the lobby with a preset team. If you don't have one, too bad, you can't talk to anybody or even look at 'them' (their profiles/characters). After the game, everybody leaves, on to the next match. No funny medals, no killed most/killed most by. No chance to party up and move on to the next match together.

Nothing light. Nothing fun. Nothing social. Nothing accessible.

Sit down for your match, win/lose, get up and leave.

Cold. Anti-social. Intimidating.

All of which is exacerbated by a matchmaking system that is more than happy to place a team of strangers who can't talk until the match starts, against prebuilt teams, and is happy to ignore their own ranking system when throwing players together.

I never said that.

The exclusive emphasis on 'pro's was a misstep. Halo succeeded when it put the player experience first.

I argued that during the Halo 1-3 period, there wasn't much competition in the console shooter space. It didn't have to be COD. It could have been any other shooter thats easier to pick up, play, and be good at.

I agree that the esports thing won't work out as they hope, simply because no one cares about game tournaments for unpopular games.

I really do want all the social features and wacky fun gametypes that older Halo titles had, but would that really bring back the casual crowd?

People picking up gaming now (teens or kids) probably don't know Halo exists

Edit: where's my rocket race, 343!?

TCKaos

Halo 2 and Halo 3 (which was an iteration) were purposely designed to make players feel like they were sitting on the couch with their friends or at a LAN party.

You come into the lobby with a preset team. If you don't have one, too bad, you can't talk to anybody or even look at 'them' (their profiles/characters). After the game, everybody leaves, on to the next match. No funny medals, no killed most/killed most by. No chance to party up and move on to the next match together.

As much as we shit on you for some of the shit you post this is pretty spot on.

As much as we shit on you for some of the shit you post this is pretty spot on.
Yup, it's completely true.

I love the gameplay of this game, but it needs to be more social.

The thing that made Bungie great (even today) is building a sense of community.

I feel like that's one big thing Halo 5 missed

Sounds about right. Everything about the game screams "THIS IS SERIOUS" from the aesthetic of the armors and maps to the modes and UI. I just want a fun social game, not xXMLGXxPrOsNiPeS atmosphere oozing out of every design.

E92 M3

All of which is exacerbated by a matchmaking system that is more than happy to place a team of strangers who can't talk until the match starts, against prebuilt teams, and is happy to ignore their own ranking system when throwing players together.

Very well put. I agree that post-game needs a lot more information and incorporate a sense of community.

Cosign Antitype's post. Hoping the next couple of updates add more rich lobby features because the current one feels like a placeholder.

I just got the Rig 3 times in a row in Slayer. :/
I don't know what it is but game types and certain maps repeat time and time again and it needs fixed. I'm going to start hard resetting my xbox and see if that does anything.

arimanius

I agree with this. Everything is pretty bare bones pre and post match. I guess they tried to streamline it for esports.

link1201

I kinda wish they didn't drop Spartan Ops all together. It had a lot of unrealized potential. I'd love a reason to play campaign or campaign like missions in between mp. I hope they bring back firefight and or Spartan ops or better yet a WZ mashup of the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom