• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraXzy

Surely not that much.... Lol

Man what the fuck. That sucks.

I mean I'm probably overreacting (but it is an expensive but of kit. It just doesn't feel as snappy and clicky as the other side. If you sit the flat bit of the paddle flush to the controller and then press it, the good side feels like a loose tooth that is slightly wobbly, whereas the other side feels like a tooth about to come out :L

Hopefully it doesn't get away worse.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
79d84a6f-1b77-47ee-b044-8f11c61657ce.jpg

• Elite Controller (finally!)
  • Copy of Halo 5 (Free with Elite Controller, not sure what to do with it)
  • Controller-shaped soap (Mountain Dew scented, from fiance)
  • BoomCo Needler (going to paint to be a Hailstorm Needler, from fiance)

Needler is huge!

What does the soap taste like though?

BraXzy

I just went 55-12-15 in BTB lmao. That was insane, kept managing to grab sniper and just doing work :D

Feels nice after doing not so well in Team Arena.

jfoul

Man, I hope we get firefight eventually. Sometimes I just want to chill and play Firefight/Horde against AI in a non competitive mode.These Warzone maps could work well with the game-type. Spawn and defend at Spire, Fortress, Garage and Monument. Maybe wall some stuff off, like the assault variant. I would even be okay with assault being removed completely and replaced by Firefight.

Man, I hope we get firefight eventually. Sometimes I just want to chill and play Firefight/Horde against AI in a non competitive mode.These Warzone maps could work well with the game-type. Spawn and defend at Spire, Fortress, Garage and Monument. Maybe wall some stuff off, like the assault variant. I would even be okay with assault being removed completely and replaced by Firefight.

Pah, don't count on it. 343i has some kind of aversion against Invasion and Firefight with no clear idea why best you are going to get is Warzone Assault.

At least Microsoft is trying to fix Reach on XBO atm.

I'm not really misunderstanding... you're leveraging outer deadzone to accomplish a weird, arguably unnecessary goal :p

The only time you should be in the pegged state is when the stick is actually against the edge; making the pegged state occur before the edge lowers your aiming resolution, i.e. if the outer deadzone at 100% you're essentially using a keyboard to aim instead of a stick.

You're welcome to do you, but I think it's bad advice for anyone with normal, working thumbs.

Lol - you're just being difficult, not going to engage you any further.

you didn't understand what an outer deadzone was, I explained, you didn't listen.

whether it's relevant to how you play is impertinent.

IHaveIce

Banned
Do we know what is replacing holiday social/dubs on monday? Better be a 4v4 slayer/flag/strongholds social playlist.

No like most of the time with playlist management we know it either when it just happened or weeks in advance but got no date attached to it.

It is all for the suspense

Trup1aya

Got to plat 4 and have been getting matched with a lot of diamonds lately...

I absolutely love it!!! My k/d has dipped a bit, but I feel like I learn something every match. Im noticing that second route I should have been keeping an eye on, the best spots to bank grenades and I'm getting much better at anticipating spawns.

I legit helped my team comeback from a pretty large deficit (after starting off extremely poorly) to win 50-49 and it felt great.

Now I just gotta improve my aim. Many of my deaths should have been trades, at worst, but I just can't seem to land that 5th shot under pressure.

Best buy mear me had some elites instock. Found out by walking through the isle but when checking online its says its not in store.

Gotta wait for this bb gift card to come through and then i can join the higherranks lol

The psychological aspect of playing good opponents is probably the biggest differentiator at the end of the day. Crazy how much keeping cool and not panicking helps.
Oh I agree. When I get up with Damnboxes and other Diamonds/Onyx players and have to play on that level of competition compared to Plats/Golds, I get nervous and choke so hard. If I don't get the jump on someone at that level I have no confidence I can finish the kill. :(

singhr1

The polygon article about Halo 5 kind of inspired me to ask what control scheme everyone here uses.

My main question is: For smart-link do you have it mapped to LT, right stick, or a paddle if you use the elite controller?

E92 M3

Oh I agree. When I get up with Damnboxes and other Diamonds/Onyx players and have to play on that level of competition compared to Plats/Golds, I get nervous and choke so hard. If I don't get the jump on someone at that level I have no confidence I can finish the kill. :(

I can't tell you how many times I choked when leading a super competitive FFA match (which is actually normal now lol). Keeping cool is probably the hardest Halo skill to master for me, but I've come a long way now and barely rage at all.

This is great news, Reach was unplayable when I tried it. Not too sure where Microsoft's Q&A was on that one.

I bet it got pushed through even though they were aware of the issues. People would probably be complaining more if they had delayed it since it's one of the most high profile BC titles and was advertised as a flagship title for the feature.

The polygon article about Halo 5 kind of inspired me to ask what control scheme everyone here uses.

My main question is: For smart-link do you have it mapped to LT, right stick, or a paddle if you use the elite controller?

Right stick (on an elite controller). I can't really stand aiming with the left trigger (in any game) but might consider moving it to a paddle if I add more paddles.

Trup1aya

The psychological aspect of playing good opponents is probably the biggest differentiator at the end of the day. Crazy how much keeping cool and not panicking helps.

Yeah, I could tell pretty early on in the match that I wasn't playing against Plats any more. So I stopped chasing, Anticipating spawns, and spent more time just landing shots for assists instead of trying to be the slayer. Started playing my roll and the kills started coming in.

Landing that last head shot was still tough for me though, probably because I realized the stakes. But calming down really helped.

E92 M3

Yeah, I could tell pretty early on in the match that I wasn't playing against Plats any more. So I stopped chasing, Anticipating spawns, and spent more time just landing shots for assists instead of trying to be the slayer. Started playing my roll and the kills started coming in.

Landing that last head shot was still tough for me though, probably because I realized the stakes. But calming down really helped.

Creating the desire to chase is one of the best tools lol. Conversely, so is not chasing in high level play haha.

tesqui

Just got the game and really loving the campaign so far. Only thing that really disappoints me is the dynamic resolution thing. It ruins the otherwise beautiful art design. It kind of takes me out of the experience when I enter a mission that's super fuzzy.

blakep267

Pah, don't count on it. 343i has some kind of aversion against Invasion and Firefight with no clear idea why best you are going to get is Warzone Assault.

At least Microsoft is trying to fix Reach on XBO atm.
Eh I think they'll implement a firefight type mode into war zone eventually. Like they have 6 more months of content to put out. It makes sense to just reuse the war zone maps and have 4 players with reqs against enemy waves

jem0208

Finally got around to doing my placement matches for Team Arena. Got placed into Diamond 1 on solo so I'm pretty happy considering I placed Plat 1 in pre-season.

Just got the game and really loving the campaign so far. Only thing that really disappoints me is the dynamic resolution thing. It ruins the otherwise beautiful art design. It kind of takes me out of the experience when I enter a mission that's super fuzzy.

I never noticed the dynamic res. Honestly I would have had no idea it was implemented if I hadn't read about it.

Trup1aya

I never noticed the dynamic res. Honestly I would have had no idea it was implemented if I hadn't read about it.

I only noticed it in the Sunaion level. On paper that should have been beautiful, but it ended up being hideous... Overall I thought the game looked really good.

BraXzy

So long as its not anything else, we good.

You did really well last night, I'm pretty sure some games you did much better than me. We all choke every now and then.

E92 M3

I dislike Strongholds a lot, but would ecstatic for King of the Hill or Oddball to be in team arena. Oddball was so much fun.

jem0208

I dislike Strongholds a lot, but would ecstatic for King of the Hill or Oddball to be in team arena. Oddball was so much fun.

Whut?

Strongholds is one of the best Halo modes we've ever had, probably my favourite actually.

You can get extremely fun and competitive games with reasonably well matched teams. I played a game where we 75-96 down and managed to pull it back to win 100-96. Another game was 99-80 for us and they pulled it back to win, was pretty fun even though I lost. Massive nailbiters though.

Some of the maps could do with some hill adjustment though. Move the pit hill in Empire to turbine, make bottom middle on Plaza a bit smaller.

Tawpgun

I think Strongholds is tough on a lot of maps because of questionable stronghold placements.

Other than that its an amazing game mode. Probably the best gamemode for ridiculous comebacks.

E92 M3

Whut?

Strongholds is one of the best Halo modes we've ever had, probably my favourite actually.

You can get extremely fun and competitive games with reasonably well matched teams. I played a game where we 75-96 down and managed to pull it back to win 100-96. Another game was 99-80 for us and they pulled it back to win, was pretty fun even though I lost. Massive nailbiters in strongholds.

I think Strongholds is tough on a lot of maps because of questionable stronghold placements.

Other than that its an amazing game mode. Probably the best gamemode for ridiculous comebacks.

I agree that comebacks can be nice and all, but there is just nothing better than Oddball for fun and entertaining matches - especially when it's for spectating. Strongholds isn't bad, but just doesn't jive with me like the aforementioned modes.

At the very least, I'd like them to add more modes to play.

jem0208

I agree that comebacks can be nice and all, but there is just nothing better than Oddball for fun and entertaining matches - especially when it's for spectating. Strongholds isn't bad, but just doesn't jive with me like the aforementioned modes.

At the very least, I'd like them to add more modes to play.

I agree we need more modes but Strongholds >>>>>>>>> Oddball.

I never really saw the appeal of Oddball, especially for spectating. Forcing one team to be effectively a man down to score is not a good thing IMO. It makes for fairly campy gameplay with not enough map movement.

I dislked strongholds in the beta because of the stronghold placement. LOATHED the gametype and would just get kills and not care at all for getting the stronghold. Eff you EMPIRE STRONGHOLDS IN BETA.

Once they fixed them in Retail, i enjoy them a lot more. And like TAWP mentioned. The comebacks are ridic.

right now they are only in...
eden
overgrowth
the rig

and the btb maps right?

that's all i can remember right now...

jem0208

I dislked strongholds in the beta because of the stronghold placement. LOATHED the gametype and would just get kills and not care at all for getting the stronghold. Eff you EMPIRE STRONGHOLDS IN BETA.

Once they fixed them in Retail, i enjoy them a lot more. And like TAWP mentioned. The comebacks are ridic.

right now they are only in...
eden
overgrowth
the rig

and the btb maps right?

that's all i can remember right now...
Empire and plaza also has strongholds.

Someone help!

I just bought a cloud 2 hyper x headset with chat adapter but need settings help.

All my teammates are muting me because of all the noise coming from my headset and i don't know what the problem is.

I have tv volume up along with headset volume so that may be the issue but what else could be wrong?

Someone help!

I just bought a cloud 2 hyper x headset with chat adapter but need settings help.

All my teammates are muting me because of all the noise coming from my headset and i don't know what the problem is.

I have tv volume up along with headset volume so that may be the issue but what else could be wrong?

Did you update your controller with the headset plugged in?
Might also be the feedback volume beign too high in the chat mixer settings.

other than those two things idk =/

Glass

Time to load up Halo for the first time in a week. 5 hours of warming up in warzone assault should just about have me ready for Arena again.

Trup1aya

Whut?

You can get extremely fun and competitive games with reasonably well matched teams. I played a game where we 75-96 down and managed to pull it back to win 100-96. Another game was 99-80 for us and they pulled it back to win, was pretty fun even though I lost. Massive nailbiters though.

Some of the maps could do with some hill adjustment though. Move the pit hill in Empire to turbine, make bottom middle on Plaza a bit smaller.

Yeah strongholds is amazing...

I think it's an improvement on the King Of the Hill formula. The knowledge that a comeback is (usually) just one capture away is exhilarating.

E92 M3

I am going to try to get Champion this season in FFA, but don't think there will be enough time.

I agree we need more modes but Strongholds >>>>>>>>> Oddball.

I never really saw the appeal of Oddball, especially for spectating. Forcing one team to be effectively a man down to score is not a good thing IMO. It makes for fairly campy gameplay with not enough map movement.

To each their own, I guess :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom