• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol - you're just being difficult, not going to engage you any further.

you didn't understand what an outer deadzone was, I explained, you didn't listen.

whether it's relevant to how you play is impertinent.

*proceeds to immediately engage further*

At any rate, you're misusing outer deadzone and think it's something it's not, it's fine.

Trup1aya

*proceeds to immediately engage further*

At any rate, you're misusing outer deadzone and think it's something it's not, it's fine.

How is he misusing his deadzone?

I think you mentioned earlier that having an outer deadzone reduces the resolution of the joystick. But a more accurate metaphor would be that it increases the pixel density. You still have the same number of potential inputs, but they are confined to a smaller area.

The benefit is that he can reduce the travel time it takes to reach a pegged state. If he finds that useful, then it's useful. The downside is that fine adjustments would be a bit more difficult. Perhaps that's a trade off he's willing to make. Maybe he finds that aim-assists and bullet magnetism offset that downside.

At the end of the day, it's going to come down to individual preference. But saying 0% outer deadzone is inherently better in ever way is false...

Caja 117

Strongholds is great, I played a lot of BF3 and I loved Domination which is sort of like Strongholds, I do miss some assault and Koth.....Oddball was kind of fun when it was in FFA., in MLG it required good coordination and tactic on when to just let go of the Skull and team shoot.

Duji

I'm not really misunderstanding... you're leveraging outer deadzone to accomplish a weird, arguably unnecessary goal :p

The only time you should be in the pegged state is when the stick is actually against the edge; making the pegged state occur before the edge lowers your aiming resolution, i.e. if the outer deadzone at 100% you're essentially using a keyboard to aim instead of a stick.

You're welcome to do you, but I think it's bad advice for anyone with normal, working thumbs.

Nope.

I have perfectly working thumbs, and I prefer a generous outer deadzone, as a preference.

My brain works this way: if my thumbstick is deflected nearly all of the way, I'm wanting to achieve maximum velocity -- I'm wanting to turn instead of aim. Rarely ever do I ever stop near the edge; if I'm there (ie 85% deflected) then I'm probably going to fully pegged some milliseconds later. I notice that making a turn only register at the very, very edge (0% outer deadzone) takes a tad too long to switch from aiming to turning/accelerating.

How is he misusing his deadzone?

I think you mentioned earlier that having an outer deadzone reduces the resolution of the joystick. But a more accurate metaphor would be that it increases the pixel density.

I don't believe this is correct. You don't gain density; the software and hardware doesn't increase it's sensitivity over that smaller range. If you have a 99% outer deadzone, you're not going to have the ability to suss out that 99% over the 1% range with subtler stick movements, your stick is now arrow keys.

This argument has basically become "I am better with arrow keys." Which I can't argue against, that might be true, but it's not something anyone should be recommending to players looking for "good" settings.

BraXzy

One of my best typos I do believe. Hahaha.

Hey we had a lot of fun last night though, despite my lack of a mic.

Indeed, same time same place tonight? ;)

I'm gonna start going through my Warzone boosts.. I have a couple Legendaries, a nahdful of ultra rares and literally hundreds of rare and down.

Trup1aya

I don't believe this is correct. You don't gain density; the software and hardware doesn't increase it's sensitivity over that smaller range. If you have a 99% outer deadzone, you're not going to have the ability to suss out that 99% over the 1% range with subtler stick movements, your stick is now arrow keys.

This argument has basically become "I am better with arrow keys." Which I can't argue against, that might be true, but it's not something anyone should be recommending to players looking for "good" settings.

1) these ARE true analog sticks, right? Or at least there's an Extremely high sampling rate. After all, stick extensions DO provide noticeable improvements to one ability to make fine adjustments. If the sticks were as coarse as you imply, then extensions would make people's aim choppy.
2) he isn't giving himself 99% deadzone. It's likely that the software/hardware combo isn't sensitive enough to allows even the most dexterous person to operate with just 1% of the potential motion. But with 85%? Surely it's plenty sensitive
3) even if your resolution theory is right (which I'm sure it isn't, at least not this far away from the software/hardware limits) the existance of aim-assist and bullet magnetism undoubtedly negates the benefit of the marginally higher resolution (as evidenced by many players ability to perform at a high level before the custom settings were even available...which used even less of the maximum range than he is using)
4) how can you invalidate the value another player places on reducing the time it takes initiate a turn? If he chooses to place an emphasis on quick turns, because it suits his style and ability, so be it

Raide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN3rBYG4RFw

Quick video walkthrough.

h84XeYT.jpg

Still very much WIP

IHaveIce

Banned
The hills of stronghold need to be moved on many maps, Plaza and Rig are the biggest offenders.

There is no reason to hold the BR hill on The Rig at all, the hill is all for himself, excluded from the rest of the map by the structure.

If you hold attic and nest you have 2 hills that are close to each other and you can look and jump to the other really easily.

Same for Plaza Ground and Sniperspawn hill are the way to win.

BraXzy

wait, someone has their outer deadzones at 100?

It only goes up to 15%, physically impossible as far as I know.

I'm gonna try the extra long thumbstick on the right side of theelite, I forgot it was a thing. We will see how it feels. Oh and I just got 15k XP in one Warzone match :O

Trup1aya

The hills of stronghold need to be moved on many maps, Plaza and Rig are the biggest offenders.

There is no reason to hold the BR hill on The Rig at all, the hill is all for himself, excluded from the rest of the map by the structure.

If you hold attic and nest you have 2 hills that are close to each other and you can look and jump to the other really easily.

Same for Plaza Ground and Sniperspawn hill are the way to win.

I think that this is by design. The current layouts of thes asymmetrical maps encourage "rotation".

So if you take rig for example, red team is going to cap BR base out of convienience, then try for basement or Nest. If red team succeeds in taking a second base, blue team is going to have to make a decision. Do they temporarily take BR base to stop Red's current scoring, or do they try to regain control of one of the more desireable bases, which would allow Red to amass a lead (since they won't relinquish nest or basement easily)

Meanwhile, Red team is going to be looking to upgrade, since it's tough to hold BR with one of the other bases. They'll take advantage of blue teams new interest in BR base to Rotate to a basement+Nest combo.

Now the map has flipped... And Blue is going to attempt to rotate.

I find that these asymmetrical maps offer the better strongholds maps, because there's constant attempts to rotate.

I think that this is by design. The current layouts of thes asymmetrical maps encourage "rotation".

So if you take rig for example, red team is going to cap BR base out of convienience, then try for basement or Nest. If red team succeeds in taking a second base, blue team is going to have to make a decision. Do they temporarily take BR base to stop Red's current scoring, or do they try to regain control of one of the more desireable bases, which would allow Red to amass a lead.

Meanwhile, Red team is going to be looking to upgrade, since it's tough to hold BR with one of the other bases. They'll take advantage of blue teams new interest in BR base to Rotate to a basement+Nest combo.

Now the map has flipped... And Blue is going to attempt to rotate.

I find that these asymmetrical maps offer the better strongholds maps, because there's constant attempts to rotate.

Strongholds doesn't reward rotation, though. The best move is to secure 2 bases and hold them, only going for the third if you're truly dominating. By placing 2 bases too close to each other on Rig, it makes the BR base useless.

wait, someone has their outer deadzones at 100?

100% or 99% are extreme percentages to illustrate why a higher outer deadzone reduces your aiming resolution.

Players should seek to minimize their outer deadzone to maximize aiming resolution without accidentally disabling fast turn.

It's also possible, although unlikely, that if you think the Xbox One controller has too large of a thumbstick well and you're already precise enough with your aim, you may decide to increase the outer deadzone to enable fast turn without hitting the well's edge.

I do not believe this is desirable, but we're arguing in circles at this point.

BraXzy

The long thumbstick is really messing with my hands again. I'm only just getting to grips with the paddles and I've thrown them through a loop again, poor things.

Trup1aya

Strongholds doesn't reward rotation, though. The best move is to secure 2 bases and hold them, only going for the third if you're truly dominating. By placing 2 bases too close to each other on Rig, it makes the BR base useless.

You HAVE to rotate on Rig, if all you have is BR base... No one holds BR + Basement or Nest for long. They always look to upgrade. If they successfully upgrade, then the other team is now forced to upgrade.

Rotation isn't rewarded per se... Its not a goal. it's often a requirement for the team who is down to stop the other team scoring.

Sometime you'll just have to get BR, because you lost basement and are having a tough time getting it back. But you won't settle for BR, because it's tough to hold it AND either of the others... Then the map rotates.

You HAVE to rotate on Rig, if all you have is BR base... No one holds BR + Basement or Nest for long. They always look to upgrade. If they successfully upgrade, then the other team is now forced to upgrade.

Rotation isn't rewarded per se... Its not a goal. it's often a requirement for the team who is down to stop the other team scoring.

Yeah, but the thing is, there's no reason to EVER go for BR base if you have the other two. Rotation, against a skilled team, is a myth.

Trup1aya

Yeah, but the thing is, there's no reason to EVER go for BR base if you have the other two. Rotation, against a skilled team, is a myth.
And what do you do if you lose nest, and have surrendered 40pts trying to get it back?

Again, rotation isn't what you do if you already have the other two. It's what you do when you've lost one of the two, and are having trouble getting it back, but need to stop the other teams scoring.

It's a method of regaining control, or stopping the bleeding while you jockey for the two better options.

Even the best teams lose a base sometimes... BR base serves as a pivot point in those situations.

IHaveIce

Banned

Sometime you'll just have to get BR, because you lost basement and are having a tough time getting it back. But you won't settle for BR, because it's tough to hold it AND either of the others... Then the map rotates.

Well even if its by design if that hill is only for that, it is unfair that one team spawns at BR and the other at attic

Trup1aya

Well even if its by design if that hill is only for that, it is unfair that one team spawns at BR and the other at attic

I dunno if it's unfair. But it is an off balanced type situation. The burden IS on red team to rotate first... But they spawn with all of the power weapons, covered LoS on Nest, and the ability to easily nade basement off spawn.

I'd like to see the statistics one who wins more between Red and Blue team on Rig.

Not for another 45 minutes I'm afraid.

How many maps do ya'll reckon we're gonna get in January?

Watch it be just some REQs and a forge playlist now in the hopper.
before the content update they will announce that they will accept submissions for user created 4v4 and btb maps.
basically it'll be an update of maps from the forge community. 4-6 total probably.

The janurary maps would be done already, but considering the holidays i dont think they have dev made maps ready. Unless people think a week and a half is enough time to for them to make maps, or finish maps that could have been started before their break/move.

BraXzy

Watch it be just some REQs and a forge playlist now in the hopper.

Remember all those vehicles you know and love? Well now here's some new variants that totally aren't just a reskin ;)

As far as maps go I assume there have been some cooking gradually since launch. I just really want some new, fun, fresh maps that aren't remixes.

Ade

Right, I'm usually Mr Lone Wolf, but I'm able to team up and use my headset for a few hours. Anyone fancy some anything at all really?

GT is AdyCarter, and I'm not great

Can confirm that outer dead zone is best at 15%. Initially, I thought 0% was best based on how they worded it in that Waypoint article, but testing it results in the opposite, which is more in line with how it's described ingame.

It reaches max turn speed slightly sooner than at 0%, meaning you don't need to push the joystick all the way against the edge.

My settings:
10 sens
5 acc
0% inner
15% outer​

Can confirm that outer dead zone is best at 15%. Initially, I thought 0% was best based on how they worded it in that Waypoint article, but testing it results in the opposite, which is more in line with how the ingame settings describe it.

It reaches max turn speed slightly sooner than at 0%, meaning you don't need to push the joystick all the way against the edge.

My settings:
10 sens
5 acc
0% inner
15% outer​

You're all mad ...mad I tell you!

Is the Xbox One controller thumbstick well 15% too large for you? That's what this seeeeeeeeeeeems to say. Assuming you can fast turn without issue at 0%.

link1201

Can confirm that outer dead zone is best at 15%. Initially, I thought 0% was best based on how they worded it in that Waypoint article, but testing it results in the opposite, which is more in line with how the ingame settings describe it.

My settings:
10 sens
5 acc
0% inner
15% outer​
I'll have to try it when I get home. I know having the inner at 0% helped tremendously.

Madness

Some people say they aim better when they activate the 'game mode' on their televisions or play on monitors, so could it be external factors affecting people? I don't know, to me, I've been playing default, it feels like the beta did and if I change anything now, it just feels off.

Have any pros like snipedown and others said what they play on?

Trup1aya

Some people say they aim better when they activate the 'game mode' on their televisions or play on monitors, so could it be external factors affecting people? I don't know, to me, I've been playing default, it feels like the beta did and if I change anything now, it just feels off.

The mention it all the time. Seems like they've all gotten rid of the inner deadzone, have acceleration at 3 or higher, and have sensitivity between 3 and 5.

Well, using a monitor or "game mode" on a television typically reduces input-to-screen latency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom