• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ont

Why not just upload the clips when you think it's lag/latency.

I've yet to see a clip that proves to me it's actually a big issue of EU players on US servers. Like where shots are obviously just flat out not registering... The only interesting clip I've seen was someone posting a 6 shot "perfect" kill with a pistol but I noticed that happens to me sometimes too. The game registers the shot, the enemy flinches like they take damage, but yet they don't... It's weird. But it's not a "shit I'm a disadvantaged EU player" thing.

There are plenty of clips in this Halo Waypoint thread: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...eu/a65cf801-460d-49f5-abcc-4b172f736b3a/posts

Also this is not something that can be disputed or for which we need to submit evidence. It is a scientific fact.

If you are American and you play on Europeans servers, the European players on that server will have a ping advantage over you. If you are European playing on American servers, the American players will have a ping advantage because your signal has to cross the Atlantic ocean before it gets to the server.

jem0208

I think you mean many console shooters because only on consoles something like this would be acceptable. The main selling point of Xbox One, Titanfall and Halo 5 was the dedicated server support. This brings console gaming closer to the standards of PC gaming where the local dedicated servers have been a must since Quakeworld which was released in 1998.

When I am playing Halo 5 in my own region it works flawlessly, it is a very smooth experience and I have no complaints about the Halo 5 netcode.

For me the game is not unplayable or noticeably laggy when I am playing on American servers, there is probably a fair amount of lag compensation there which makes it less noticeable. But it is still unfair against the European players and the ping disadvantage is an actual issue in a higher level play. If you have two equally skilled players from two different regions, the player who gets to play on a local server will always win.
No, I've played many hours on PC as well. CS, Shootmania, I even had a short stint playing for a team in a competitive TF2 league. Recently been playing a lot of Dirty Bomb which is a lot of fun.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of my matches are on European servers.

The things you hate about halo are what halo fans actually want. So yeah, I don't think you'll ever get it...

That's fair. To each, their own. I still respect the series and enjoy playing its multiplayer from time to time. The campaigns as well, at times.

How many hours do I have left if I'm on the 9th mission?

Ont

No, I've played many hours on PC as well. CS, Shootmania, I even had a short stint playing for a team in a competitive TF2 league. Recently been playing a lot of Dirty Bomb which is a lot of fun.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of my matches are on European servers.

If you are playing CS all your games are on European servers unless you specifically choose to play on an American server. In fact, in CS you are likely playing on a server that is located in your home country.

jem0208

If you are playing CS all your games are on European servers unless you specifically choose to play on an American server. In fact, in CS you are likely playing on a server that is located in your home country.

I know, I'm talking specifically about H5.

On another note, I love the influx of Christmas noobs in Warzone:
AoELS00.png

I need to try some of the other modes. I've only played Slayer and Free For All so far, but those are my favourites in most games. Just basic TDM.

I'm actually not too bad at it, either, and was in first for a while last night, until someone racked off several quick kills in OT.

The rocket launcher was my bestest friend.

Trup1aya

I need to try some of the other modes. I've only played Slayer and Free For All so far, but those are my favourites in most games. Just basic TDM.

I'm actually not too bad at it, either, and was in first for a while last night, until someone racked off several quick kills in OT.

The rocket launcher was my bestest friend.

You should try swat to get your cod fix

You should try swat to get your cod fix

I will, thanks

Truth be told, I'm much more of a solo gamer than an online gamer. I prefer to beat story-based games/campaigns over jumping online every night with other people. But I do enjoy multiplayer from time to time.

I've been playing Halo off and on this Christmas.

Strider

Also this is not something that can be disputed or for which we need to submit evidence. It is a scientific fact.

If you are American and you play on Europeans servers, the European players on that server will have a ping advantage over you. If you are European playing on American servers, the American players will have a ping advantage because your signal has to cross the Atlantic ocean before it gets to the server.

Well yea I'm not disputing that... I'm disputing the frequency at which this actually occurs. People talk as if this is literally an every game thing at times... There are plenty of reasons you or other players could be laggy besides the fact that "the servers are throwing me in games on a different region."

I mean we literally have a post on the previous page, here, that is stating if the game isn't populated enough in your area the MM literally won't put you in a match at all...

It doesn't add up.

The State of Halo 5 in Australia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5QFA1eit4U

Mind you guys that this isn't exclusive to Australia/Oceania. South America and Asia are facing the same issues for more than 2 months now.

I'm torn with this one, I mean those BTB games on mcc and reach would be p2p, and host would probably be on the other side of the planet.

At least in H5 us aussies are playing on a good server for once... Getting a game is an issue sometimes as a result, can be hard to find anything earlier in the day.

The best solution would be to throw us into pool when the population is too low.

Ont

Well yea I'm not disputing that... I'm disputing the frequency at which this actually occurs. People talk as if this is literally an every game thing at times... There are plenty of reasons you or other players could be laggy besides the fact that "the servers are throwing me in games on a different region." [...] It doesn't add up.

This not about the lag, this more about the unfairness of the matchmaking system that is mixing US and EU players together, always giving some players advantage over the other players. Because of the lag compensation the game is always smooth even if I play on the US servers, but I know when I have a higher latency because the lag compensation does not fully hide it. In a game that takes competition seriously, US and EU players should not be mixed together (unless they want to play together).

From London UK I have pretty good connection to the east coast servers in the US, which probably makes it easy for the matcmaking system to match me with American players. This varies a lot, but many of my ranked Arena matches are with American players on the American servers. I know this because I talk with the other players and I can see the signs of a higher latency.

It seems to happen other way around too, I have heard players with US accents complaining about not hitting anything when they are clearly playing with us Europeans on an European server.

Regarding the Halo 5 player population, the Western Europe should have enough Halo 5 players, although the shenanigans like forcing people to play on US servers is only hurting the player population. If we are not given an option to choose our dedicated server region like we could in Titanfall, I will think that the ranked system in Halo 5 is a joke and move on back to PC shooters.

Strider

You are hanging on to when I mention the word lag too much. I know it's not about "lag" ... I'm asking what's your evidence for being on servers outside your region...

So basically this:

but many of my ranked Arena matches are with American players on the American servers. I know this because I talk with the other players

So yea. If you are literally talking to people and asking where there from then ok... But I'd still like to know just how often this actually happens and I'd still bet it happens far less frequently than what some people put on.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I've had more disconnects mid match today than all the other days combined since launch. I think it's on my end, but it sucks.

Detective

You are hanging on to when I mention the word lag too much. I know it's not about "lag" ... I'm asking what's your evidence for being on servers outside your region...

So basically this:

So yea. If you are literally talking to people and asking where there from then ok... But I'd still like to know just how often this actually happens and I'd still bet it happens far less frequently than what some people put on.

It happens a lot to me and my friends here in Norway. And some also from US and others territeries.

Looky here: just started a match

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/XeQutor/video/13568937

And I have lag almost every match everyday.

I've kickass internet connection, tried also at my family, friends. Same story.

If. Am gonna post every lag or latency I get believe me I will spam this thread. Am posting from time to time here because you know , am a big halo fan and it's killing me.

TCKaos

How does the HaloGAF company have the Combat Evolved commendation leveled so highly? Do you guys just coordinate that shit all the time or what?

I wonder how Activision's MLG purchase will change Halo's competitive scene.

Kinda depends, I guess. If they're just acquiring it as a revenue stream, then nothing. If they're acquiring it as a marketing tool, with all that entails, Halo's probably going to drop MLG, as will most other non-ActiBlizz games.

Madness

I wonder how Activision's MLG purchase will change Halo's competitive scene.

Damn, it's huge. Activision was starting a CoD world league in 2016 similar to HCS and so this purchase is really going to help them, CoD is #1 on both consoles, pretty much going to dominate from here on out.

Ont

Well its really easy to tell, throw a grenade and you can see a slight delay in it if you are on the US server. There are other telltales too. I have played online shooters for 18 years and I can tell when I am not playing on a local server.

But I'd still like to know just how often this actually happens and I'd still bet it happens far less frequently than what some people put on.

I don't think that the Halo Waypoint thread would have 1946 posts if this not happening frequently. It was a well known issue with the Neogaf group I have played with. Without having access to any statistics (which would be nice to see), I would estimate that 20% - 40% of my matches are on the US servers. A single match on a US server would already be too much.

Also the fact that American and European players are playing together in the first place means that this is very frequent. This is not some random thing that happens once in a day. To me mixing American and European players in a ranked Arena matchmaking is fundamentally wrong.

Damn, it's huge. Activision was starting a CoD world league in 2016 similar to HCS and so this purchase is really going to help them, CoD is #1 on both consoles, pretty much going to dominate from here on out.

I just cant understand what skill there is required for cod. Idk man. I couldnt watch more than 5 mins of that cod twitch tourny a while back.

But a lot of the mediocre products do well....
Sigh

Madness

Ont, what do you expect? There is probably just a few hundred players in certain countries outside US/Canada/UK.

Xbox One has not sold well at all outside of UK in Europe, virtually nonexistent in East Asia and is even losing out on the territories it was dominant in last gen (US, UK, Canada, Australia).

Coupled with the fact that Halo is 10th in terms of playerbase, split amongst 3 modes (Warzone, campaign, Arena). You're either going to get super long wait times, or you're going to get thrown into more US servers. East Coast US is always the dominant area. If I play late at night west coast, I get paired up with people in Europe, especially in Warzone.

Really high skill ceiling is not required for an eSports game. If it was, we all would still be playing Quake and Brood War

I know that. But all the years ive played cod, I cant see how balanced it can be for an esports....

Anyway i dont wanna derail.
Its almost 2016 (denver) and the jan update is around the corner!!

^_^

Madness

I just cant understand what skill there is required for cod. Idk man. I couldnt watch more than 5 mins of that cod twitch tourny a while back.

But a lot of the mediocre products do well....
Sigh

Same. It's not even fun to play with all the randomness and just unfair mechanics. But I'm outside the target demographic now. This is what the kids want. Reward mediocrity, have zero consequences for shit behavior like quitting etc.

Ont

Ont, what do you expect? There is probably just a few hundred players in certain countries outside US/Canada/UK.

Xbox One has not sold well at all outside of UK in Europe, virtually nonexistent in East Asia and is even losing out on the territories it was dominant in last gen (US, UK, Canada, Australia).

Coupled with the fact that Halo is 10th in terms of playerbase, split amongst 3 modes (Warzone, campaign, Arena). You're either going to get super long wait times, or you're going to get thrown into more US servers. East Coast US is always the dominant area. If I play late at night west coast, I get paired up with people in Europe, especially in Warzone.

All we are asking for is an option to choose your dedicated server region. Not finding any matches in the EU region? Switch to US. It is really that simple. Titanfall had this feature, Rainbow Six: Siege automatically places you to EU region and tells you where you are playing.

I have played some niche PC shooters that actually had less than 50 active players in Europe. Halo 5 is not doing that badly in Europe, it is still a major title here. It will however lose players here if this is not addressed.

Madness

All we are asking for is an option to choose your dedicated server region. Not finding any matches in the EU region? Switch to US. It is really that simple. Titanfall had this feature, Rainbow Six: Siege automatically places you to EU region and tells you where you are playing.

I have played some niche PC shooters that actually had less than 50 active players in Europe. Halo 5 is not doing that badly in Europe, it is still a major title here. It will however lose players here if this is not addressed.

I get what you mean. I don't know the intricacies, but the bolded, I wouldn't really want that. I mean, the last thing I'd want is people from Australia, Europe making matches laggy again. That sounds selfish I know, but I've probably had the most lag free matches of any Halo title ever. Only recently, when I think they've started to match more EU guys with US have some matches gotten lag for me.

I'd be okay with server selection the way you want, if there was some limiter, something like sorry, your ping is too high or you'd have an adverse effect on the rest and can't join. Who knows though, maybe you could be right. Doesn't Rainbow Six Siege have the same issues right now though? Long wait times, tons of lag for outside US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom