• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawpgun

I found the campaign to be utterly forgettable, and I'm not really sure why either.

Probably because the story is probably the weakest of the franchise, and there weren't any WOW gameplay moments. The Kraken was a bit of a letdown and there weren't any really huge vehicle sequences. Nothing hit Halo 3's gameplay highs or Halo 2's story highs.

3 warzone games in a row where nobody can access REQs. 343i, it sure would be nice if core mechanics of your game functioned properly.

Take solace in it hurting 343 more than the players due to them losing potential revenue on it while it is down. 343 more than anyone wants the REQ servers up all the time.

TCKaos

Probably because the story is probably the weakest of the franchise, and there weren't any WOW gameplay moments. The Kraken was a bit of a letdown and there weren't any really huge vehicle sequences. Nothing hit Halo 3's gameplay highs or Halo 2's story highs.

Pretty much this. The plot is incredibly weak overall and no character has any real agency to speak of. No character actually accomplishes anything.

Osiris kills Jul and helps the Arbiter raid the Covenant holdouts on Sunaion. Chief and Blue Team get taken on a short holiday on a Forerunner planet and meet Cortana and confirm that she's gone batshit because of the Domain.

Had Blue Team done nothing, the events that occurred would not have changed. They could have stayed home after Osiris rescues Halsey and the following would happen:

• Meridian City is destroyed by a Guardian
  • Roland locates Genesis
  • Sunaion is destroyed by a Guardian
  • Cortana appears aboard the Infinity, confirming that she is the one behind all of these shenanigans.
What would change if everyone stayed home?
  • Blue Team wouldn't have gone to Meridian or Genesis
  • Osiris wouldn't have gone to Meridian, Sanghelios or Genesis
Have Chief be on the bridge of the Infinity when Cortana shows up so they can have their moment. Blue Team and Osiris are acquainted because they're operator as fuck and occasionally operate together. The Arbiter pushes the Covenant back to Sunaion, which is promptly destroyed by the Guardian, ending the Covenant war.

I also wrote a huge write-up with a level by level breakdown of the campaign and why they didn't work for me in brief but decided to not post it, because this post is already too long.

Akai__

8 people clan in Lobby -> "Oh please no..."

*They are on our team* -> "Oh yes!"

*6 of them leave the game* -> "Thanks..."

Tryhard clans...

Yeah, I probably agree with you.

The Kraken was terrible, 343 still can't get their vehicle sections right.

But their on foot sections were off the hook.

A few of the campaign moments were cool, but in general I just don't think Halo is a great fit for the 'squad' approach to design. That telepad segment probably could've been gameplay if they didn't need to worry about the fact that your AI buddies will probably leap to their death constantly.

I actually really really liked H4's campaign though so what do I know 8)

TCKaos

¡HarlequinPanic!;190968677 said:
A few of the campaign moments were cool, but in general I just don't think Halo is a great fit for the 'squad' approach to design. That telepad segment probably could've been gameplay if they didn't need to worry about the fact that your AI buddies will probably leap to their death constantly.

I actually really really liked H4's campaign though so what do I know 8)

I still don't understand how Jul 'Mdama wasn't a boss. Regret was a boss. Even the Heretic Leader and Guilty Spark were bosses. Make him a souped up Halo 1 sword Elite with a shield from the earlier builds of CE:

elite_shield.jpg

On top of that give him Active Camo and the Soldier and/or Halo 4 Knight teleporting ability. When you do a certain amount of damage he pisses off and sends in a new wave of enemies to fight you.

Later down the line enemies that act like him show up, but have less health and fewer to no gimmicks.

Glass

Starting to get excited for January's update and it's reveal. Hope it's not too much of a small one after the holidays.

Detective

I think the best level was reunion. Genesis world . I think it captures the Halo feel . Mystery, New alien world . minus the horror dark feel that CE had.

The rest is just forgettable.

Trup1aya

I think the best level was reunion. Genesis world . I think it captures the Halo feel . Mystery, New alien world . minus the horror dark feel that CE had.

Reunion ALMOST captured that Halo feel. It was beautiful and mysterious, but it felt like you landed into a buch of corridors, instead of onto an alien planet.

Theorry

From Reddit.

"I was frustrated at the amount of data available in game from the post match carnage report. I wanted medal counts most of all. So I decided to put my skills to the test and whipped up a quick app. It's free, it has no advertising, I don't want anything from you.
Check it out below and let me know what you think. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ilickpandas.spartanstats"

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/3z09o3/i_made_a_halo_5_stats_tracking_app_android_only/

.la1n

3 warzone games in a row where nobody can access REQs. 343i, it sure would be nice if core mechanics of your game functioned properly.

I had no idea what was going on when that happened to me. To be honest it was actually pretty fun, wouldn't mind it as an option.

Tawpgun

Yeah, I probably agree with you.

The Kraken was terrible, 343 still can't get their vehicle sections right.

But their on foot sections were off the hook.

Yup. They advertised the Kraken as the biggest enemy in a Halo game but it didn't really do anything. It wasn't an AI scarab like Halo 3. It was more like the Halo 2 one. You land on it and take it out.

With the new Xbox one I was expecting something like the Halo 3 scarab but more mobile.

Their on foot gameplay was good though. Nothing really stood out but it was very good.

IHaveIce

Banned
Mate of me and I doing Breakout placement matches, we share all games, both of us are always positive.

I get Gold he gets Diamond. Placement matches work fantastically

singhr1

It's not just GOTY though, it's that Halo 5 is often left out of Best Multiplayer discussions as well. It gets acknowledgement is some places like Polygon or the occasional nomination but because of how novel and fresh Splatoon and Rocket League are, Halo gets left behind. All 3 of these games are amazing, but novelty > known quantity here.

The Warzone no reqs glitch is getting so annoying. I've had it in the 3 of the 4 matches I played today so far.

Also why isn't there a Warzone Assault variant for the new Warzone map?

#hirejuices

mo60

It's not just GOTY though, it's that Halo 5 is often left out of Best Multiplayer discussions as well. It gets acknowledgement is some places like Polygon or the occasional nomination but because of how novel and fresh Splatoon and Rocket League are, Halo gets left behind. All 3 of these games are amazing, but novelty > known quantity here.

It's not like halo 5 is the only FPS or TPS that has not been mentioned a lot in GOTY discussion this year. Some of it's competition from what I have seen have also struggled to get nominations this year(i.e BO3, Battlefront 3 and a few other games).

Wow, just had a FFA go to the last few seconds of the match. Terrible. They either need to try 7 or put it back to 8 because it's a serious snoozefest, especially with quitters (happens frequently).

What would change if everyone stayed home?
  • Blue Team wouldn't have gone to Meridian or Genesis
  • Osiris wouldn't have gone to Meridian, Sanghelios or Genesis
I think that was the point. Halo games have always revolved around the main characters being cut off from the rest of humanity. At the start of halo 5 that was not the case and 343 made the game and story lead to a point where the world is at that point again.

Halo 5's story problems mostly come from the fact that not much happens until the end. But if you look at it as a start of a new story, it does a very good job at completely turning the world on its head and introducing new characters.

Trup1aya

I think that was the point. Halo games have always revolved around the main characters being cut off from the rest of humanity. At the start of halo 5 that was not the case and 343 made the game and story lead to a point where the world is at that point again.

Halo 5's story problems mostly come from the fact that not much happens until the end. But if you look at it as a start of a new story, it does a very good job at completely turning the world on its head and introducing new characters.

There are already plenty of good character in this universe that could have been explored without adding 3 new Spartans no one cares about, and without rushing into the AI cliche plot.

The world was already on it's head since the events of Halo3, and 343i had a golden opportunity to get gamers and extended lore fans up to same page. That's where I thought they were headed after listening to the excellent HTT campaign.... But they just opted to scrap everything and create a blank slate using a sloppy deus ex Machina...

Welp, I guess we're all on the same page now...

singhr1

It's not like halo 5 is the only FPS or TPS that has not been mentioned a lot in GOTY discussion this year. Some of it's competition from what I have seen have also struggled to get nominations this year(i.e BO3, Battlefront 3 and a few other games).

Yeah, BO3 suffers from this same issue.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

I LOVED every single covenant level. Each and every one has such interesting level design and combat spaces. The forerunner levels usually lacked the same environment complexity, or perhaps it just felt that way since engagements against prometheans are such garbage. Also, forerunner levels suck in general because, as mentioned, the prometheans still just aren't nearly as fun to battle.

But again, blue team, tsunaion, sanghelios, and any other covie battle, kicked all kinds of ass and are easily among the best stages in halo history.

I so admit though that 343 still has yet to figure out how to make a solid warthog level.

jem0208

I really enjoyed fighting the Prometheans this time around. More so than the Covenant actually.

Soldiers were basically just more challenging elites, Crawlers have the most satisfying headshot explosion and Knights were actually a lot of fun to fight. If you could aim well you could take a knight down in only a few shots, made them far less annoying.

E92 M3

Wow, just had a FFA go to the last few seconds of the match. Terrible. They either need to try 7 or put it back to 8 because it's a serious snoozefest, especially with quitters (happens frequently).

With 8 it was too chaotic and there was never breathing room after a kill.

RSB

Banned
I LOVED every single covenant level. Each and every one has such interesting level design and combat spaces. The forerunner levels usually lacked the same environment complexity, or perhaps it just felt that way since engagements against prometheans are such garbage. Also, forerunner levels suck in general because, as mentioned, the prometheans still just aren't nearly as fun to battle.

But again, blue team, tsunaion, sanghelios, and any other covie battle, kicked all kinds of ass and are easily among the best stages in halo history.

I so admit though that 343 still has yet to figure out how to make a solid warthog level.
Agreed. Even with the disappointing lack of vehicle battles, the levels on Sanghelios are amazing. Some of the best infantry combat in a Halo game yet (dat verticality...)

I would love an ODST style expansion with the Arbiter leading a group of elites on Sanghelios during the civil war. No prometheans (they are better than in Halo 4, but still nowhere near as fun as the Covenant) and more of that sweet combat and level design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom