• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trup1aya

I'd like a slight nerf to the SR and a nerf to Sniper AA/magnetism...

How many times I'm just pegging a sniper with pistol shots only to be killed anyway is insane... You'd swear descope didn't even exist.

Other than that I've no complaints. They nailed it overall.

Yeah, the magnetism is crazy. I remember how long I had to train to get noscopes with the SR in halo2. And I'm a much worse player now than I was then...so when I pick up a sniper and get snaps shots easily, I know something is really off...

This might be the only weapons I'd nerf. And I'd buff the plasma caster to make it actually useful.

jem0208

A word about the pistol: I use it over the BR and perform much better. I love the pistol so much - a fantastic starting weapon.

In terms of the autos: Yes, they are strong, but that's ok. Every weapon can be used to kill and I am very happy with it. Autos aren't a huge issue in super competitive play - they complement the precision weapons well. I am very happy to play a Halo game where all of the weapons are good in their own way.
Like I said, I don't think the pistol is too bad, the main issue really is that the other rifles are too easy to use. I'd rather have the bullet magnetism on the BR dropped but I think that's far less likely than the pistol fire rate being increased.

And auto spam is definitely very prevalent. I don't want the AR nerfed so hard that it's useless, however I would definitely like to see the range decreased.

Not my clip (took it from a post on Beyond) but watch the end of this: http://xboxclips.com/Batchford/c0ef4e08-2fbc-464d-aff5-509e271d93f1
If fine with the autos the way they are. But I wouldn't cry if the storm rifle was tier 2.

ARs 'perfect' kill time is already longer than the pistol. The pistol is already beastly, it certainly doesn't need a fire rate increase. It's behind only to the light rifle and sniper in precision TTK..

The balancing, as he said, is already perfect, essentially...
Not true at all.

The pistol's perfect time to kill (TTK) (i.e.: hitting 4 shots then a head shot and firing as fast as possible) is 1.2 seconds and 1.8 seconds if you only hit body shots at max fire rate. Obviously this is rarely going to be the actual kill time, missed shots and not firing at max speed increase this by a lot. The pistol's also easily the most difficult weapon to use so at close quarters you're even more likely to be missing shots.

The AR has a perfect kill time of 1.1 seconds with headshots and 1.4 seconds with no headshots. Due to the random nature of spread the kill time is usually going to lie somewhere in that range. However the AR is extremely easy to use, is obviously always firing at the max rate and has a large amount of bullet magnetism, so it's far easier to get close to the perfect kill time.

Also forgot to mention the straight up broken bullet magnetism on the sniper. That gun is ridiculously easy to use.

jem0208

I can't kill shit with snipers so I don't really understand why it is OP lol.

This is why:
1e74b3f779c912ecbe1621da4dcbe484.gif

Again, stolen from Beyond.

And countless over examples to be honest...

Strider

I can't kill shit with snipers so I don't really understand why it is OP lol.

I was pretty bad with it tbh before the aiming settings update... Now it's even easier to snipe than it was in Destiny... And that's saying a hell of a lot given the extreme AA in that game.

Trup1aya

Like I said, I don't think the pistol is too bad, the main issue really is that the other rifles are too easy to use. I'd rather have the bullet magnetism on the BR dropped but I think that's far less likely than the pistol fire rate being increased.

And auto spam is definitely very prevalent. I don't want the AR nerfed so hard that it's useless, however I would definitely like to see the range decreased.

Not my clip (took it from a post on Beyond) but watch the end of this: http://xboxclips.com/Batchford/c0ef4e08-2fbc-464d-aff5-509e271d93f1

Not true at all.

The pistol's perfect time to kill (TTK) (i.e.: hitting 4 shots then a head shot and firing as fast as possible) is 1.2 seconds and 1.8 seconds if you only hit body shots at max fire rate. Obviously this is rarely going to be the actual kill time, missed shots and not firing at max speed increase this by a lot. The pistol's also easily the most difficult weapon to use so at close quarters you're even more likely to be missing shots.

The AR has a perfect kill time of 1.1 seconds with headshots and 1.4 seconds with no headshots. Due to the random nature of spread the kill time is usually going to lie somewhere in that range. However the AR is extremely easy to use, is obviously always firing at the max rate and has a large amount of bullet magnetism, so it's far easier to get close to the perfect kill time.

Also forgot to mention the straight up broken bullet magnetism on the sniper. That gun is ridiculously easy to use.

I'm pretty sure that the headshot modifier on the AR has been removed.

http://m.imgur.com/D7lVbGQ

The current balance rewards using weapons skillfully and situationally. Yes the AR is easier to use at close range, but if you are skilled enough with the pistol, you can take out the AR user at any range...

The solution isn't to make auto's less useful at their intended ranges, the solution is to get better with the weapon you are using or use a weapon that is more suitable for your current situation...

I don't have simpathy for what took place at the end of that clip. Since the Carbine fires at a high rate, it requires a lot of shots to get a kill, it's tougher to use at close range... He blew his opportunity when he initially overlooked the crouching enemy, then failed to land his shots. His opponent had the more reliable weapon at that range, saw his enemy first and took advantage. Also, carbine could should have strafed away from the AR to properly leverage his weapons advantages, against the ARs disadvantages, he stepped towards him...

E92 M3

Overall, I am not a fan of nerfs. For once, the Halo sandbox is as good as it will ever be - let us leave that alone for a change. In high level play the AR can be beastly, but by no means is it OP or too strong.

Sometimes I feel that folks get frustrated getting killed by an AR (we've been trained to think it's shit over the years) and get mad and call for nerfs. 343 has more important things to address than weapon balance.

Finally, sniper has on a higher end of AA, but if a person sucks with it, they will continue to suck. I don't even use it in FFA - 1 or 2 kills max.

He started shooting the AR before he Batch guy even saw him.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Weapon balance talk got me interested in how true it is that the sandbox is in fact all much more useful AND that that means a variety of guns are actually used.

My stats:

Halo 5 kills
Rifles, 63.6%
Automatics, 17.4%
Pistols, 19.1%

Halo 4 kills
Rifles, 90.5%
Automatics, 2.9%
Pistols, 6.6%

Halo Reach kills
Rifles, 74.4%
Automatics, 7.5%
Pistols, 18.1%

A few notes... I decided to group weapons by category since not all games have the same weapons but the series has, for the most part, stuck to the rifle, auto, pistol types (halo 2 and 3s dual weilding complicates this, so they are not included). Halo 4s results are clearly skewed towards rifles due probably in large part by loadouts. Halo 5s results for autos may be inflated based on the inclusion of "tier II" weapons like the smg. I have no idea why my reach pistol use was so high, was it actually decent in that game?

m23

I didn't find a single skull during my play through. Are they well hidden?

A few of them are very well hidden, some not so much. I think some of them require you to be on legendary difficulty and also require you to complete certain tasks before they even show.

A few of them are very well hidden, some not so much. I think some of them require you to be on legendary difficulty and also require you to complete certain tasks before they even show.

Ah, okay. I just played on normal.

I don't care to find them all, just one maybe.

Weapon balance talk got me interested in how true it is that the sandbox is in fact all much more useful AND that that means a variety of guns are actually used.

My stats:

Halo 5 kills
Rifles, 63.6%
Automatics, 17.4%
Pistols, 19.1%

Halo 4 kills
Rifles, 90.5%
Automatics, 2.9%
Pistols, 6.6%

Halo Reach kills
Rifles, 74.4%
Automatics, 7.5%
Pistols, 18.1%

A few notes... I decided to group weapons by category since not all games have the same weapons but the series has, for the most part, stuck to the rifle, auto, pistol types (halo 2 and 3s dual weilding complicates this, so they are not included). Halo 4s results are clearly skewed towards rifles due probably in large part by loadouts. Halo 5s results for autos may be inflated based on the inclusion of "tier II" weapons like the smg. I have no idea why my reach pistol use was so high, was it actually decent in that game?
Did you play a lot of the anniversary mode in reach? It was 3sk there.

Tawpgun

I think the balance is overall solid. I'd maybe turn down the magnetism WAY down on the autos but thats about it. Getting killed by autos is always frustrating because I'd rather be killed by a precision weapon than someone spraying my center mass. But whatever. Game is hardocre enough as it is.

jem0208

I think the balance is overall solid. I'd maybe turn down the magnetism WAY down on the autos but thats about it. Getting killed by autos is always frustrating because I'd rather be killed by a precision weapon than someone spraying my center mass. But whatever. Game is hardocre enough as it is.
That could work to improve the autos.

Trup1aya

I just watched some Brazian quarterfinal HCS Match... It was brutal...

I think they were ranked diamond, but I'm sure I could take them easily...

Agree with bolded.

tootsi666

Yep

I really hope they eventually change how autos work in Halo. Give them actual recoil but less inaccuracy etc

Regarding auto balance:

For "common" power weapons:
Just give stuff like the Storm Rifle the Halo 2 Plasma Pistol treatment and make it so that they tear through shields, but do next to no damage against armor (unless you're scoring headshots with the automatic), forcing you to backpack a headshot-capable weapon (or put yourself in danger by entering melee range) to actually require some aiming to get that kill. Hell, just make the excuse that Spartan armor's become strong enough that it can shrug off most small arms fire, but the visor remains a weak point. Shields are a good supplementary layer of defense (especially in preventing headshots), but are only meant as a temporary solution.

For actual power weapons:
Basically do the same thing, though still don't make it near-instant on popped shields. I'm honestly mostly okay with how they've handled the SMG, the Suppressor tracks such that it aims for the head anyway, and the Needler doesn't count. SAWs are rare enough that I don't think they're as much of a problem.

I'd say something like:

"common" power weapons
Damage, shielded: 100%
Damage, unshielded: 25%
Damage, unshielded - headshot: 200%

actual power weapons
Damage, shielded: 100%
Damage, unshielded: 50%
Damage, unshielded - headshot: 300%

I'm not as well versed in these games as you guys are. My only issue is really with the assault rifle being just slightly too move up+right trigger (w+m1 for tf2 people)

Finally managed to find an elite controller in stock at a Best Buy and picked one up. Cancelled my Amazon order that has been open for a month now.

1. Back to wired gaming which is awesome.
2. Quality is superb
3. Weird playing with paddles. I'm only using upper right and left paddles as having four is too much. Basically have them mapped as subs for the bumpers. Left bumper/paddle is melee and right bumper/paddle is grenade.
Sort of a mix of default and boxer layout.

The hair trigger switches in the back fooled me at first as I switched them to short press and the game felt weird so I am back to long press.

Overall a great controller but I now have to dial in my aiming again as my long range pistol aim is off and much more sensitive.

Fuchsdh

The walkabout levels seem like such a missed opportunity in retrospect.

Should have been full on NPC hubs with people dropping tons of lore/backstory/discussing the current state of the universe..... not having the player just hunt down hidden intel :/

It's like 343i got cold feet or higher ups told them to dumb it down cause players just wanna shoot some more shit...

I definitely loved the non-combat elements, and hope that in future games we get a deeper riff on them. It might also just be a matter of not dividing the shooty stuff so much from the non-shooty areas. In general Halo level design has been linear in nature, and it could be cool to switch it up with areas you have to return to or sort of fold back on.

E92 M3

Like you said, game is already too hard for most and salt shouldn't determine what gets nerfed or not. I get salty getting killed by ARs as well sometimes, but it comes down to making a bad play more often then not.

Detective

Its really getting annoying.
Connection lost in the middle of the games .
Lag
Latency
Retrieving data

Really hope 343 sort this out. Such an amazing game when everything works.

lol. I went from level 84 or something to 101 in 5-6 days I think :D

Ramirez

They can't retire this awful social playlist fast enough. Put snipers in its own damn list, and give me basic Halo gametypes, sheesh.

BraXzy

God Breakout can be sooooo good. Just played one of the most tense matches ever. My heart beat was going and everything.

Nothing quite like being last man standing against two when you are facing elimination. Tied it out though to eventually win :D

Funny story HaloGAF.

So I was shopping at Wal-Mart today and saw 1 of those Christmas AXE gift packs in the clearance section for $4 (out of $27! damn it was a steal) I figured 'wtf why not free reconz and I can send the AXE crap to my brother'.

So I get home and was about to enter the code when nature hit, I guess in that meantime my cat (who I call "the orange goat") decided to hop on my bed and...tell me his thoughts on Agent Locke:

hHqWOYUl.jpg

HKsn0qgl.jpg

(Note the fact that he didn't destroy the code)

I'm getting him special cat food tonight :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom