• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akai__

People still spreading the "Warzone is pay 2 win" nonsense. Yeah, that must be why I have an average Win/Loss Ratio in that mode, because I never bought a single REQ pack nor do I plan to. You can literally win the game with 2 BR's which is all I'm doing anyways. We are steamrolling people with BR's only in our Warzone sessions.

Is there no way to turn off radar for Pros or tournaments when they play?

I seriously feel like the H5 radar provides even more camping then ever before. 343i and the pro team must think otherwise, because they said it's competetive and have no plans to remove it in HCS settings.

I have never seen so many Pro Players camping with a Scattershots than in this game. But Shotguns also weren't very present in older Halo games with competetive settings anyways.

can't believe naded's team won that.

and yeh, still need a radar option brought back. the 343 pro team have obviously gotten soft and just agree with that stupid decision to keep their jobs.

People still spreading the "Warzone is pay 2 win" nonsense. Yeah, that must be why I have an average Win/Loss Ratio in that mode, because I never bought a single REQ pack nor do I plan to. You can literally win the game with 2 BR's which is all I'm doing anyways. We are steamrolling people with BR's only in our Warzone sessions.

I seriously feel like the H5 radar provides even more camping then ever before. 343i and the pro team must think otherwise, because they said it's competetive and have no plans to remove it in HCS settings.

I have never seen so many Pro Players camping with a Scattershots than in this game. But Shotguns also weren't very present in older Halo games with competetive settings anyways.

Seriously, Arena is supposed to be competitive and esporty, why is radar in ANY playlist? Leave it in social/warzone.

tootsi666

Or maybe some people just have a different definition of Pay-2-Win :)

I think it's the radar+loud footsteps that make camping powerful. You can hear people outside of radar range easily. Which is also why radar is 100% useless and only makes the game worse. Good players should do just fine with sound only.

E92 M3

Camping is very minimal in Halo 5 because the radar has been nerfed from previous titles. It's not that intrusive compared to before. I think it all comes down to people being stuck in the ways of old - same thought process as BR starts. Halo 5 is a different beast and having radar doesn't make it any less competitive. In fact, some of the matches today were super tight.

Camping is very minimal in Halo 5 because the radar has been nerfed from previous titles. It's not that intrusive compared to before. I think it all comes down to people being stuck in the ways of old - same thought process as BR starts. Halo 5 is a different beast and having radar doesn't make it any less competitive. In fact, some of the matches today were super tight.

close range radar+fast ttk+strong automatics+bad map design=h5 camping/crouch walking everywhere.

E92 M3

close range radar+fast ttk+strong automatics+bad map design=h5 camping/crouch walking everywhere.

Yeah, it happens but not as prominent. I am with you on map design, though. It's no where close to being on par with the old games. Truth is the best map and it's a remake lol. That's very telling as I always say.

tootsi666

Showing accurate positions of running enemy players in near vicinity definitely lowers the skill cap. It's not as bad as it was in previous games, but Pro teams should do just fine with sound and communication. Game doesn't have to that do for them.

I also don't understand what tight matches have to with competitiveness. There can be tight coin-flipping matches.

Edit. I'm tired and bad

E92 M3

Showing accurate positions of running enemy players in near vicinity definitely lowers the skill cap. It's not as bad as it was in previous games, but Pro teams should do just fine with sound and communication. Game doesn't have to that for them.

I also don't understand what tight matches have to with competitiveness. There can be tight coin-flipping matches.

They "should do just fine" with any settings. The radar problem is highly overstated, that's all I meant to say. A pro team will be able to win in any circumstance and adapt appropriately. Halo 5 has radar starts and all of the good players have already learned how to handle it. The game is inherently super-competitive and having radar on doesn't make it as easier like you assume it does.

Who knows, though, 343 might patch in the option to turn it off.

Madness

I just mean especially for Pros. These people know routes, map areas, weapon spawns like the back of their hands. I definitely feel like radar for Pros increases camping and makes some of the game play stale at this high a level.

Trup1aya

Is there no way to turn off radar for Pros or tournaments when they play?

I just mean especially for Pros. These people know routes, map areas, weapon spawns like the back of their hands. I definitely feel like radar for Pros increases camping and makes some of the game play stale at this high a level.

They are just in regular custom games, so yeah, they can easily cut them off, but the game seems to play well even with it on, so I don't see the issue..

I saw no abundance of camping, probably because these guys have very high awareness anyway.... And hit markers have turned grenades into quasi sonar devices... In fact the only real aggregious example of camping I saw was in Breakout, which has no radar.

Showing accurate positions of running enemy players in near vicinity definitely lowers the skill cap. It's not as bad as it was in previous games, but Pro teams should do just fine with sound and communication. Game doesn't have to that do for them.

I think that's a one sided way to look at the equation. Sure the existance of radar makes it easier for people to defend themselves against people who are running nearby...

But it also makes it harder for people to use running as an offensive tactic. Forcing them to think more critically. I think that is important, especially with this new mechanics.

The existance of radar also allows skilled players to manipulate their opponents reliance of the radar.

Yeah, it happens but not as prominent. I am with you on map design, though. It's no where close to being on par with the old games. Truth is the best map and it's a remake lol. That's very telling as I always say.

The more I watch good people play on these maps, the more I appreciate them. Once you realize you have to play a bit differently than past games to get the most out of the maps, you can start to see the quality.

I actually enjoyed a game I played on Overgrowth today... Never thought I'd say that.

I don't think there are any maps that stand out as classics, but that may be more of an aesthetic issue than an actual issue with how the maps play.

Madness

They are just in regular custom games, so yeah, they can easily cut them off, but the game seems to play well even with it on, so I don't see the issue..

I saw so abundance of camping, probably because these guys have very high awareness anyway.... And hit markers have turned grenades into quasi sonar devices... In fact the only real aggregious example of camping I saw was in Breakout, which has no radar.

Camping occurs in breakout because of the much quicker TTK coupled with no objective besides kill in a sense (they added a flag). Why would they push when any misstep is death. Even regular slayer has less camping except when there is maybe just a few kills left and each death matters.

I mean if you agree they have high awareness, why give them a tool that practically tells them where enemies are or where they're coming from, even with the reduced H5 radius? These are Pros and this is the world championship.

Trup1aya

Camping occurs in breakout because of the much quicker TTK coupled with no objective besides kill in a sense (they added a flag). Why would they push when any misstep is death. Even regular slayer has less camping except when there is maybe just a few kills left and each death matters.

I mean if you agree they have high awareness, why give them a tool that practically tells them where enemies are or where they're coming fromeven with the reduced H5 radius? These are Pros and this is the world championship.

I understand why people camp in breakout... I'm just saying that's the only gametype where I saw any notable amount of camping.

As to the bold, I truly believe that it exists as a balance against the lethality that the Spartan abilities bring to CQC.

There's no issue with skill gap in this game...removing radar will just shift a particular situational advantage from the still player to the moving player. It won't actually increase the skill gap.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I'm starting to think grenades need to be nerfed just a tad bit, at least in BTB. Either that or strengthen shield impact against grenades. Basin Strongholds becomes a nade fest in Tower where it makes it almost impossible to hold even if you have shotgun plus invisibility.

Been hearing a lot of people say the same online.

Also there is a glitch, that has probably been mentioned, on Anti Freeze.

Don't know how it's done but someone grabs Binary Rifle and gets way up at the highest point in the map and can just pick off your team without you being able to do a damn thing about it.

JackHerer

I understand why people camp in breakout... I'm just saying that's the only gametype where I saw any notable amount of camping.

As to the bold, I truly believe that it exists as a balance against the lethality that the Spartan abilities bring to CQC.

There's no issue with skill gap in this game...removing radar will just shift a particular situational advantage from the still player to the moving player. It won't actually increase the skill gap.

A good point. Both spartan charge and thrust/slide would be more powerful in this game without radar. Plus the fact that players can move around the map so fast now it's much harder to be sure of where the enemy, is even with callouts. e.g. If someone calls out a players location that information is useful for a shorter amount of time in this game compared to past Halos. This makes it harder to predict where players are likely to be at any given time which could be part of why they decided to leave radar on in competitive game types.

I haven't found the presence of radar to break the game in any way except maybe in the case of shotgun/scattershot wielders. Even then a good team will call that person out and flank them (which is easy if the player is just crouching and staring at their radar).

All that said, I'd be open to them experimenting with the removal of radar. I don't feel super strongly either way.

I'm starting to think grenades need to be nerfed just a tad bit, at least in BTB. Either that or strengthen shield impact against grenades. Basin Strongholds becomes a nade fest in Tower where it makes it almost impossible to hold even if you have shotgun plus invisibility.

Been hearing a lot of people say the same online.

I don't really think they need to change the damage/radius as much as they need to reduce the amount/respawn rate of nades around the map. During an arena game I often find myself with all 3 grenade types without even thinking about it. The splinter grenade especially needs to be much rarer. It should almost be treated as a lower tier power weapon. There should never be two of these spawned together at the very least IMO.

Grenades should be something you have to conserve and use wisely. Right now it feels like I have a near limitless supply of grenades at times.

E92 M3

I saw no abundance of camping, probably because these guys have very high awareness anyway.... And hit markers have turned grenades into quasi sonar devices... In fact the only real aggregious example of camping I saw was in Breakout, which has no radar.

I think that's a one sided way to look at the equation. Sure the existance of radar makes it easier for people to defend themselves against people who are running nearby...

But it also makes it harder for people to use running as an offensive tactic. Forcing them to think more critically. I think that is important, especially with this new mechanics.

The existance of radar also allows skilled players to manipulate their opponents reliance of the radar.

The more I watch good people play on these maps, the more I appreciate them. Once you realize you have to play a bit differently than past games to get the most out of the maps, you can start to see the quality.

I actually enjoyed a game I played on Overgrowth today... Never thought I'd say that.

I don't think there are any maps that stand out as classics, but that may be more of an aesthetic issue than an actual issue with how the maps play.

Halo 5 is a ton of fun to play, don't get me wrongs. It's just the maps are not memorable compared to the past. They serve their purpose well, but that's about it - no character or soul.

Madness

It's a conscious decision to have HCS tournament play share the same settings that are in Team Arena in matchmaking.

Ah, I figured that would be the case. On the one hand it's smart because it lessens the gulf between MLG versus Vanilla Halo where the game play is so vastly different like in the past, but I just feel like radar should be off at this high level of play. It is what it is though.

Again, please lower weightings of Snipers.Shotty Snipers in Social. Its just terrible right now.

I feel like this has to be a bug and need confirmation it's being fixed.

Re: Radar, take it off for competitive settings, traditionally pros have used their map awareness and team communication to fill in for the radar instead of having it as a crutch. This led to a larger skill gap between casual and pro gameplay. It should be off for competitive settings however they are doing this bastardized HCS settings copying 343i's Team Arena settings for the tournament because reasons. So whatever, nobody can change this at this point its too far in.

Strider

Again, please lower weightings of Snipers.Shotty Snipers in Social. Its just terrible right now.

I feel like this has to be a bug and need confirmation it's being fixed.

They stated the current social playlist would be there until January 4th. It should be replaced in the next day or so...

IHaveIce

Banned
They stated the current social playlist would be there until January 4th. It's being replaced in the next day or so...
Shh juices thinks 343 works on a 'juices-posts' base, there were not even 24 hours since his last post about the very same thing.

Obviously it is gonna get fixed.
Hopefully in an upcoming update weapon placements will finally be looked at. Worst offender is the new map Overgrowth.

They stated the current social playlist would be there until January 4th. It's being replaced in the next day or so...

Oh damn, really? thought that was just Holiday Doubles. Now I see it does say it on that playlist as well. Well when they make a permanent Social playlist please dont make it 90% snipers cause thats just terrible.

Madness

Did they change some stuff for their servers? Have gotten so much lag the past few weeks. Didn't have that at all before.

Edit: Some asshole betrayed me at start of match for binary rifle in BTB, I spent the whole match griefing him then. I probably got him killed 7 times, he betrayed me three times total, final maybe 2 kills from our win and I booted him.

Unstable

Braxzy and I did some awesome CO-OP forging. then I proceeded to destroy, improve his Breakout map. GGs Brax

Grabbed a bite to eat and starting working on my Slayer map now. If anyone wants to join me for some CO-OP forging action GT is Unstable H2o

Stackboy

Still can't get onto Team Slayer games and I think it's because I live in Australia. Tried everything, port forwarding, router resets, console hard resets.

This shit sucks.

So I started at platinum at Slayer, and I've now solo'd my way up to Diamond 4.

DREAMS OF ONYX NEVER DIES

If you are playing solo, it is a tremendous feat!
Shh juices thinks 343 works on a 'juices-posts' base, there were not even 24 hours since his last post about the very same thing.

Obviously it is gonna get fixed.
Hopefully in an upcoming update weapon placements will finally be looked at. Worst offender is the new map Overgrowth.

They really need to either significantly change how power weapons work on Overgrowth or just straight replace it with a new map, plus some of the older maps could use a power weapon change, like why Plasma Caster is in arena? Or why they decide to put both Invis and word on Truth? Plus sword needs to be put into power weapon callouts.

Cranster

Banned
I disagree. Camping is still prominent and the low motion tracker range make's it worse. There are so many instances when I'll be rounding a corner and I will get jumped by someone from the side or behind me with no tie to defend myself as they are not in range on the motion tracker.

Loomba

So I started at platinum at Slayer, and I've now solo'd my way up to Diamond 4.

DREAMS OF ONYX NEVER DIES

If solo that's impressive.

I've went from Gold 1 to Platinum 2 solo this season and pretty happy with it. Get into Diamond and you just get team fucked.

Anyone else having matchmaking problems atm?

I just had a server error, then couldn't highlight anything in the playlist menu... Reset Xbox, tried again, same thing.

Ground pound is the Comic sans of this game.

Maybe only Halo players read this thread, but basically in Ground pound you hover in air, thrust towards the ground with high velocity and hit it forming "a bubble of damage" with a hefty sized damage radius. I'm almost certain the radius is on par or even bigger than basic rocket launcher explosion.

IMO nerfing this ability a bit would only work in favor of the game. Nerfing options could be:

- add a cooldown
- lock the aim (add a small waiting time between aiming and lunging)
- reduce damage radius
- remove "damage bubble"
- no shield recharge during the move (I think shields recharge during, but it's possible it works same way as with sprinting)

Im fine with ground pound, if you see/hear it coming you should have time to damage them as it charges then dash out of the way... Then you unload smg fire as they cool down.

If you don't see it coming... Well you would've been killed anyway.

Ade

There's a cool down inherent in the fact you have to jump and charge it again, I don't really think it needs a Nerf, you're a sitting duck while charging it and the charge is so bloody noisy most people move away when they hear it...

jem0208

Ground pound is the Comic sans of this game.

Maybe only Halo players read this thread, but basically in Ground pound you hover in air, thrust towards the ground with high velocity and hit it forming "a bubble of damage" with a hefty sized damage radius. I'm almost certain the radius is on par or even bigger than basic rocket launcher explosion.

IMO nerfing this ability a bit would only work in favor of the game. Nerfing options could be:

- add a cooldown
- lock the aim (add a small waiting time between aiming and lunging)
- reduce damage radius
- remove "damage bubble"
- no shield recharge during the move (I think shields recharge during, but it's possible it works same way as with sprinting)
Ground pound is fine as it is.

It's very easy to see/hear coming and so avoid and it requires the ground pounder to give up a stronger position by dropping down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom