• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Fascinating to see how pros play Halo 5 Slayer in the semifinals. Pretty much anyone they follow would seem to mostly use pistol or AR, very little power weapon runs or overshields. They seem stingy with even those orange greanade things.

Hmm, Theater's acting up today, or maybe it always has problems, I wouldn't know for sure. Reset my game 7 times (for science!) and it still won't work. Can't rewind more than a few times without the screen turning completely black, limiting me from seeing the menus too.

Strider

snakebite just got kicked too.

what a tournament 343.

Sucks. A pause and reconnect feature really is needed if they plan on doing all the events on servers. They are even planning on doing the lans on the servers right? so casters will have access to the spectate feature...?

Glass

I don't watch other sports/E-Sports, so I don't know how it compares, but this stuff is intense. Twitch chat reactions makes it all the more entertaining at fun parts.

Chittagong

Gold Member
For the first time, slideover is useful:

A0oZlmR.jpg

Out of interest, what are the logistics like in this tournament? Are the players home or in a standard location? Are the using Live like everyone else, or LAN? Are the commentators using the standard theatre viewer?

IHaveIce

Banned
For the first time, slideover is useful:

Out of interest, what are the logistics like in this tournament? Are the players home or in a standard location? Are the using Live like everyone else, or LAN? Are the commentators using the standard theatre viewer?
For the qualifiers most are at home, use live and yes casters use the spectate mode.

Later bigger tournament will be in a shared location.
Don't know how casting will work there since the delay in the cast mode is super big.

There are also a lot of games played that were not on stream

Chittagong

Gold Member
For the qualifiers most are at home, use live and yes casters use the spectate mode.

Later bigger tournament will be in a shared location.
Don't know how casting will work there since the delay in the cast mode is super big.

There are also a lot of games played that were not on stream

Thanks! Really interesting.

That last Evil Geniuses vs Leftovers match was amazing, such great last few minutes

IHaveIce

Banned
There has been some major upsets at each event... People want this $!!!!

This is great stuff really!!!
Yeah upsets are amazing. Kimda wished Overdrive would also be still in the tournament.
I want more teams and new faces in the Halo pro scene.

Or older ones coming back, wish Kampy would finally join a team and do 4v4s

Glass

I do love the lore videos being played during the qualifiers. Get some lore/campaign goodness down ya, multiplayer kids!

tootsi666

So the Halo scene is maybe becoming interesting again?
Or not because it was just an online tournament.

Looking at the stats of the final on Halotracker (assuming I am watching correct games) it seems like 50% of kills are with magnum and most players use autos. Not a huge fan of autos being that viable (at least the AR) and would prefer if upgraded weapons (BR, DMR, LR etc.) and Power Weapons had a bigger role. Seems pretty decent though. Hopefully the finals won't be the only LANs and we see organisations like ESL pick H5 up for other tournaments.

tootsi666

Wait so are there no actual MLG events?
MLG is done and has been slowly dying for a while now. I think MLG does the NA regional finals though

Edit. Didn't EG win like all H2A events? They can't keep winning forever when more teams go full time and start to take the game seriosly. It's a lot harder to stay at the top than win a single tournament.

Ramirez

Does anyone know exactly what medals fall under the "Combat Opportunist" commendation? From the Grave is the only one I know for sure, maybe Clusterluck.

Man, played some doubles today, Overgrowth seemed like a perfect 2v2 map size.

Is this really a 4v4 map? Cause that would be atrocious.

Currently unbeaten in doubles, may retire.

Ramirez

Feel like I'm the only person in the world who likes Overgrowth. It needs a change up on weapon spawns, but the map is no where close to being the series worst.

belushy

Banned
Yeah starting to not give much of a shit about Breakout now, too. Give me Oddball, King of the Hill, and Extraction in my comp Halo, please.

Strider

Adding an obj was a good first step but ultimately there's still no real reason to go for it... You would need to have an attacking side and a defending side to force more action. No tied rounds basically and in all of those 2v2 scenarios one team would've been forced to go for the flag

Feel like I'm the only person in the world who likes Overgrowth. It needs a change up on weapon spawns, but the map is no where close to being the series worst.

Don't worry, I've loved it since my first play on it.

If I like it you should probably worry.

jem0208

I'm not watching the current map so I don't know exactly what people are complaining about but I've really enjoyed watching Breakout.

EG had a match against Karma Police which was awesome to watch.

Strider

I'm not watching the current map so I don't know exactly what people are complaining about but I've really enjoyed watching Breakout.

3-4 rounds ended in a tie because both teams sat back and camped once they lost a couple players. No movement. no action.

Madness

Breakout is such a snooze fest. so many tied rounds :/

This is always the problem with Pros, the ultimate goal becomes win and it's why certain maps or gametypes like slayer in the past became snoozefests because hardly anyone at the top level wants to engage and risk dying. Breakout should be removed from pro play. I love Breakout but it's not fun watching the pros play it.

I think this is why Strongholds works so well, you need to press or challenge in order to get points or catch up, and so you'll get intense fights. I can't wait till more objective game types are added and we get a few more maps for the pros to play on.

Yeah breakout one of my favourite game types, but watching these pros is painful... I guess because the stakes are so high.
It just becomes a stalemate, if one or 2 players press it opens things right up but they mostly sit back and take pot shots at each other from cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom