• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crv756

Banned
Winy post incoming.

I am still pissed at the Halo 5 Campaign and the Halo 5 ads. So much lost potential.

I love how in Halo 4, they ruin the gameplay, but the story is godlike.
In Halo 5, its reversed, the gameplay is godlike but they ruined the story.

Something, just HAS to be ruined... Well... Someone up for some Halo 5 customs tonight?

jfoul

Winy post incoming.

I am still pissed at the Halo 5 Campaign and the Halo 5 ads. So much lost potential.

Something, just HAS to be ruined... Well... Someone up for some Halo 5 customs tonight?

zoC6Aum.gif

I thought the story was
alright
in H4. I liked the story, and the playability of the campaign more in H5. I was also fine with the shake up, "twist" ending.

Crv756

Banned

zoC6Aum.gif

I thought the story was
alright
in H4. I liked the story, and the playability of the campaign more in H5. I was also fine with the shake up, "twist" ending.
The Halo 4 story gave MC a personality, something that Bungie failed or choose not to. The relationship between curtana and MC in Halo 4 was something new, they were alone, did not have orders from a higher authority and they wander around themselves trying to figure out how the f* they would get back to earth. Im not saying the story in Halo 4 was the best in the series, but it was tied with Halo CE.

The Halo storyline has gotten too hard for me to keep track so I don't pay attention to it. But the gameplay in H5 was amazing. I'm surprised how much I enjoyed playing it. H4 I remember from bullet sponge enemies. The back end in H5 was rather stretched and I didn't fancy
the boss battles
, but in my gameplay oriented books H5 is close to being a masterpiece.
Sanghelios
was a thing of beauty.

H1 IMO had it all: story, gameplay, mystic. It's still the king even tho I realised half of it is backtracking.

Trup1aya

Seems like there will be qualifiers again next Sunday. Hopefully EG will seal the win.

Here's the North American schedule along with the champion ship schedule... There's plenty of pro-scene goodness just about every weekend for the next few months

Dec. 6 - Online Ladders Begin
Dec. 20 – Online Qualifier
Jan. 3 - Online Qualifier
Jan. 10 – Online Qualifier
Jan. 16 - Online Ladders End
Jan. 17 – Online Qualifier
Jan. 24 – Online Qualifier
Jan. 31 – Online Qualifier
Feb. 19-21 – North America Regional Finals
Mar. 15-17 – Halo World Championship Prelims
Mar. 19-20 - Halo World Championship Finals

I never pegged you as the type to be interested in this sort of thing...

E92 M3

Here's the North American schedule along with the champion ship schedule... There's plenty of pro-scene goodness just about every weekend for the next few months

So drawn out lol. Hahaha, funny you mention that - I've been watching MLG since inception and even bought the video on demand back then, and have always been a very competitive Halo player for every title released. When Halo 5 came out, I was super bitter about the controls and how the game played. It created a cascade effect, if you will. Now I am very happy playing FFA, learning new strats and perfecting my aim.

The Halo 4 story gave MC a personality, something that Bungie failed or choose not to. The relationship between curtana and MC in Halo 4 was something new, they were alone, did not have orders from a higher authority and they wander around themselves trying to figure out how the f* they would get back to earth. Im not saying the story in Halo 4 was the best in the series, but it was tied with Halo CE.

Agreed, really liked the isolation of the beginning chapters of Halo 4 and how it highlighted Chief's genuine concern in that still stunted, military way that he has. Story falters a bit when the infinity shows up and with the stupid librarian thing, but the central plot with Chief and Cortana is great.

It's second to Halo 2's campaign to me, which I guess makes me an outlier fan of the series. I enjoyed Halo 5's campaign as well but none of it was particularly memorable for me.

BraXzy

Ground pound is the Comic sans of this game.

Maybe only Halo players read this thread, but basically in Ground pound you hover in air, thrust towards the ground with high velocity and hit it forming "a bubble of damage" with a hefty sized damage radius. I'm almost certain the radius is on par or even bigger than basic rocket launcher explosion.

IMO nerfing this ability a bit would only work in favor of the game. Nerfing options could be:

- add a cooldown
- lock the aim (add a small waiting time between aiming and lunging)
- reduce damage radius
- remove "damage bubble"
- no shield recharge during the move (I think shields recharge during, but it's possible it works same way as with sprinting)

Personally I feel like its perfectly balanced. It requires you to have the drop on someone. You need the height. For it to be an instant kill you have to have considerable height and charge it for a while. If you're against a competent team chances are you're gonna get shot at and potentially killed. Its essentially you dropping down and melee'ing but in a more risk reward kind of way. It has a pretty loud audio cue.

TL;DR It's fine. Lurn two dodge.

Trup1aya

So drawn out lol. Hahaha, funny you mention that - I've been watching MLG since inception and even bought the video on demand back then, and have always been a very competitive Halo player for every title released. When Halo 5 came out, I was super bitter about the controls and how the game played. It created a cascade effect, if you will. Now I am very happy playing FFA, learning new strats and perfecting my aim.

Lol I just assumed you hated pro gaming and everything it stood for haha... I guess that's why I shouldn't assume things.

I'm glad the controller update allowed you to enjoy this game...

E92 M3

sick.gif

But really I don't dislike EG by any means but them winning everything was getting so boring to me... I was happy to see Spartan's team beat them.

I actually love it when a team dominates completely. Always rooted for Michael Schumacher to win as well lol. Seeing a Dynasty form is pure entertainment. Secondly, it's fun watching the EG streams and their teamwork is like no other.

Lol I just assumed you hated pro gaming and everything it stood for haha... I guess that's why I shouldn't assume things.

I'm glad the controller update allowed you to enjoy this game...

Yeah, that is why I am so passionate about 343 lowering the default deadzone and what not. It truly changed my view on the game.

Trup1aya

Ground pound is the Comic sans of this game.

Maybe only Halo players read this thread, but basically in Ground pound you hover in air, thrust towards the ground with high velocity and hit it forming "a bubble of damage" with a hefty sized damage radius. I'm almost certain the radius is on par or even bigger than basic rocket launcher explosion.

IMO nerfing this ability a bit would only work in favor of the game. Nerfing options could be:

- add a cooldown
- lock the aim (add a small waiting time between aiming and lunging)
- reduce damage radius
- remove "damage bubble"
- no shield recharge during the move (I think shields recharge during, but it's possible it works same way as with sprinting)

I think you are grossly exaggerating the effectiveness of the Ground Pound.

It certainly doesn't have a comparable splash damage to a rocket launcher... Not even the fuel rod cannon. And the maximum damage is dependent on the height from which it was initiated (which makes it balanced by the GPers exposure). Only direct hits are 1 hit kills.

I don't understand why anyone would think it needs a nerf... It's usually not a preferable alternative to just shooting your opponent, it's easy to dodge, and hangs the user out to dry before and after its executed.

Many players really only use it as a means to quickly cross sightlines (great for CTF), and to "stall" mid-air to fake out opponents.

Offensively, you see it used less and less the higher the competition

Fuchsdh

I've seen a grand total of three successful ground pounds in Arena, and I myself really only use it to get to other parts of the map where you can't necessarily thrust to it. I doubt it's much more prevalent at higher skillsets than mine.

I've seen a grand total of three successful ground pounds in Arena, and I myself really only use it to get to other parts of the map where you can't necessarily thrust to it. I doubt it's much more prevalent at higher skillsets than mine.

Oh, I've used it plenty, and have definitely seen it used plenty. I one hit kill may be sorta rare but wiping out someones shields with it hasn't been that difficult. (I've also used it to cap a flag, which is cool)

Ground pound is not nearly as OP as spartan charge, and I still don't have a problem with spartan charge. If anything, it's the power weapons, not the abilities, that piss me off in this game. Rocket launcher is more powerful than ever, sniper has a fuck ton of magnetism, fuel rod cannon has potential for like 5-10 kills, shotgun still has crazy range compared to non 343 Halo games, and all of the power weapons have too short of a timer, in my opinion. Some games I'll win almost every normal weapon encounter but still get a <1.0 k/d because of all the power weapon deaths.

E92 M3

Ground pound is not nearly as OP as spartan charge, and I still don't have a problem with spartan charge. If anything, it's the power weapons, not the abilities, that piss me off in this game. Rocket launcher is more powerful than ever, sniper has a fuck ton of magnetism, fuel rod cannon has potential for like 5-10 kills, shotgun still has crazy range compared to non 343 Halo games, and all of the power weapons have too short of a timer, in my opinion. Some games I'll win almost every normal weapon encounter but still get a >1.0 k/d because of all the power weapon deaths.

I feel that the rocket is weaker and has a slower RoF and with the fuel rod people miss a shit ton. I juke them all the time lol. Now the shotgun, that shit is very inconsistent and that's what I don't like.

Magwik

Banned
I feel that the rocket is weaker and has a slower RoF and with the fuel rod people miss a shit ton. I juke them all the time lol. Now the shotgun, that shit is very inconsistent and that's what I don't like.
The fuel rod will get better use if people use it to take out shields instead of spamming it

Trup1aya

Ground pound is not nearly as OP as spartan charge, and I still don't have a problem with spartan charge. If anything, it's the power weapons, not the abilities, that piss me off in this game. Rocket launcher is more powerful than ever, sniper has a fuck ton of magnetism, fuel rod cannon has potential for like 5-10 kills, shotgun still has crazy range compared to non 343 Halo games, and all of the power weapons have too short of a timer, in my opinion. Some games I'll win almost every normal weapon encounter but still get a <1.0 k/d because of all the power weapon deaths.

I feel like the rockets suck in this game. Feels like they travel slower and fire slower. I like that the fuel rod is a legit power weapon now... The shotgun is good, but has hardly any ammo in it.

Power weapon management and awareness is the key ingredient to halo's arena gameplay. I love that 343 out a huge emphasis on it this time around. That said, the sniper magnetism is rediculous...

E92 M3

I don't know, while the sniper has magnetism, it's no where close to being a noob gun. People still miss a ton with it.

Trup1aya

I don't know, while the sniper has magnetism, it's no where close to being a noob gun. People still miss a ton with it.

True noobs will have issues with it, but I find that I'm getting noscopes way more frequently in this game than I did in halo 2, and I was MUCH better then, than I am now.

Sometimes the cursor wasn't even on the guy's head As far as I can tell... When I get multi kills with it in rapid succession, i'm like "no way". It's like there is no recoil, and my cursor just heads directly to the next enemies skull...

Magwik

Banned
True noobs will have issues with it, but I find that I'm getting noscopes way more frequently in this game than I did in halo 2, and I was MUCH better then, than I am now.

Sometimes the cursor wasn't even on the guy's head As far as I can tell... When I get multi kills with it in rapid succession, i'm like "no way"
I don't mind really. The Sniper isn't that common on maps anyways. In BTB you have DMRs and BR spawns to counter it

IHaveIce

Banned

yep and since I'm also interested in the European scene I have always Halo to watch. Fantastic

Strider

Loaded up the game and Holiday doubles and social are gone...

Giff new social playlist with Slayer, Strongholds, and CTF only please.

Trup1aya

I don't mind really. The Sniper isn't that common on maps anyways. In BTB you have DMRs and BR spawns to counter it

That's fine for countering people who are scoping, but it's incredibly easy to get snapshots with too...

I guess it's not a huge deal... It still is the most difficult powerweapon to use. But I notice it's much easier than previous iterations...

E92 M3

I just get double shot by it constantly because it shoots so damn fast.

I feel so dirty when I have to double shoot lol.

Sometimes the cursor wasn't even on the guy's head As far as I can tell... When I get multi kills with it in rapid succession, i'm like "no way". It's like there is no recoil, and my cursor just heads directly to the next enemies skull...

Halo 5 is the hardest Halo ever, so it all balances out ;)

Trup1aya

How come no one ever told me that smart-link increases the plasma pistol's homing range?

Are there any more smart-link perks that I need to know about?

I'm thoroughly impressed with how 343i approached weapon balancing in this game.

I don't get it how you guys succeed dodging GP. I think I have maybe once been able to avoid being hit by a GP directed at me. I still feel the splash damage seems too large to be avoided.

This made me go thru my stats. I have 7800 kills but only one GP kill. Maybe it's something I don't understand since I don't use it and I'm just being "racist".

About medals. How do you get Sayonara medal? "Damage an enemy before they fall to their death." Every time I do this I just get a kill. Or does this game have fall damage and Sayonara only comes from an enemy fallen to the ground (not pit)?

Trup1aya

I don't get it how you guys succeed dodging GP. I think I have maybe once been able to avoid being hit by a GP directed at me. I still feel the splash damage seems too large to be avoided.

This made me go thru my stats. I have 7800 kills but only one GP kill. Maybe it's something I don't understand since I don't use it and I'm just being "racist".

About medals. How do you get Sayonara medal? "Damage an enemy before they fall to their death." Every time I do this I just get a kill. Or does this game have fall damage and Sayonara only comes from an enemy fallen to the ground (not pit)?

The guy aiming the ground pound has to guess where you'll be at the end of the charging/animation process... Since they have to lead you, When you see/hear someone prepping a GP, simply changing direction with thrusters makes them whiff completely.

Even if I do get caught by the splash damage, the GPer is stunned for a moment, and I've already laid shots into him... So I just finish the kill...

Not yet. I'm sure there will be soon though. Hopefully today...

Yeah I hope so as well, that 5v5 Social list was all I played over the past week.

The extra people make the small maps that much more chaotic and not having to worry about quitters made it that much better.

The guy aiming the ground pound has to guess where you'll be at the end of the charging/animation process... Since they have to lead you, When you see/hear someone prepping a GP, simply changing direction with thrusters makes them whiff completely.

Even if I do get caught by the splash damage, the GPer is stunned for a moment, and I've already laid shots into him... So I just finish the kill...

^Exactly.

I don't know how many times i've dodge a ground pound, followed up by laughin and watching them die since they are stuck in that animation for a little bit before reacting.

Love how thrust is really a great counter to gp.

BraXzy

The playlist list feels really short now with no doubles or social.

Did it say they would be replaced today, or just removed?

Strider

Did it say they would be replaced today, or just removed?

No specifics. Just that social playlists would be permanent but would change over time. So idk if by permanent they meant replaced on the same day as removed or what... I hope we don't have to wait for the weekly update to know what's next (those are usually later inthe week right?)

DamnBoxes

Ground pounds, spartan charges... all a bunch of nonsense if you ask me. 343 ruined Halo with these modern mechanics. What happened to fighting with GUNS like MEN? Someone ought to ' #MakeHaloGreatAgain.

eYnBdhQ.png

No specifics. Just that social playlists would be permanent but would change over time. So idk if by permanent they meant replaced on the same day as removed or what... I hope we don't have to wait for the weekly update to know what's next (those are usually later inthe week right?)

Yeah i hope they post a quick update today. Hopefully. I also hope we get a Vidoc about their new building. They could tie in their new chapter of 343i and tease what we should see in 2016.

JackHerer

So I started at platinum at Slayer, and I've now solo'd my way up to Diamond 4.

DREAMS OF ONYX NEVER DIES

Ground from platinum to Onyx in the first two weeks solo. I think I just got kind of lucky with decent teammates though. Now they are just placing me in Onyx off the bat since the reset.

I'm curious about what we get in the January update. If they've all been on vacation I'm not sure what we can expect unless they have a few things saved (which seems likely). I bet we get the Rig remix and I really hope we get the game types. It has to be this month. Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom