• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

That's an interesting point. I dunno if gamers would buy into that, though; while lots of tech industries are all for dogfooding I can see the angry Reddit threads of "selling us a $60 game with stuff we could make ourselves". Some of that might be mitigated if we got more objects and textures and more options to avoid the bare-bones H1/H2-esque looks that badly-made or mediocre Forge maps have at this point. But I don't think even better tools would change the antipathy some have had with Forge ever since the beginning.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Just don't understand why I end up in a game of pure high golds and high platinums when I'm a high silver myself. Is it that the player base is too small?

so ive been playing halo 5 for a couple of weeks now, really like it, gameplay is sweet, but the online seems kinda off, im from europe but it seems im mostly paired with americans. is there any update from 343 regarding this? im not really feeling it, seems like i have to put in twice the effort to kill someone while he/she kills me much easier. i dunno. (talking about arena btw, warzone seems to be OK seeing as there aren't many 1v1 situations there)

maybe its just a case of me needing too "git gud" i dunno. think ill stick with warzone for now, hope they fix it and put me in some eu servers tho,

Chittagong

Gold Member
so ive been playing halo 5 for a couple of weeks now, really like it, gameplay is sweet, but the online seems kinda off, im from europe but it seems im mostly paired with americans. is there any update from 343 regarding this? im not really feeling it, seems like i have to put in twice the effort to kill someone while he/she kills me much easier. i dunno. (talking about arena btw, warzone seems to be OK seeing as there aren't many 1v1 situations there)

maybe its just a case of me needing too "git gud" i dunno. think ill stick with warzone for now, hope they fix it and put me in some eu servers tho,

It's hit and miss. I have had tens of good games, but just now had an insanely laggy game where none of my direct hits seemed to land and I got pinned from around the corner. Still managed to put up a fight and get most kills even if we lost as people quit. I'm not sure the lag favours any particular party though. I'm in uk fwiw

Sometimes I wonder who makes these teams... lol

Screenshot-Original.png

Another funny story, I go do some btb, and this guy's gamertag is HALO 5 TRASH. He starts by grabbing the sniper and betrays me and someone else. He instantly gets kicked. I go look at his game history he only finished four games out of his last 20. I just don't understand why people do this. You really have nothing better to do then joining games just to betray people? Whatever, he'll get banned. I just don't understand some people in this community

Strider

Well I guess no update on the status of social playlists today :(

Before today I definitely wasn't expecting them to just take out the current social playlists and not replace them with anything immediately... I had high hopes we'd get a new one today :/

Well I guess no update on the status of social playlists today :(

Before today I definitely wasn't expecting them to just take out the current social playlists and not replace them with anything immediately... I had high hopes we'd get a new one today :/

Seriously...like what 343.

Trup1aya

Just don't understand why I end up in a game of pure high golds and high platinums when I'm a high silver myself. Is it that the player base is too small?

There aren't many people in the bronze and silver divisions relative to the gold, platinum, and low diamond tiers, Infact, I posted a while back just how many people had rankings in each playlist.

http://m.imgur.com/a/0UCx1

2ZU1U3cl.jpg
here's the slayer distribution...

So in the interest of fast matchmaking, I can understand why you'd get golds. Especially if you live somewhere outside of the US...

As a high plat myself, I can't say I've EVER been matched against a silver... That's kind of crazy.

Chittagong

Gold Member
There aren't many people in the bronze and silver divisions relative to the gold, platinum, and low diamond tiers, Infact, I posted a while back just how many people had rankings in each playlist.

2ZU1U3cl.jpg

So in the interest of fast matchmaking, I can understand why you'd get golds. Especially if you live somewhere outside of the US...

As a high plat myself, I can't say I've EVER been matched against a silver... That's kind of crazy.

Thanks, that's an awesome chart and certainly explains it. And I am outside USA. Really neat to understand the skill system. My life goal is to get to high golds. I have played 1d 19h so far on Arena, so I need practice.

link1201

Combat opportunist medal mystery continues, Cluster Luck doesn't count either, lol.

Nor does Hard Target, RIP.

I'm not sure if Halo 5 follows Halo 4 exactly but in Halo 4 you had to get one of the following medals to fulfill the Combat Opportunity commendation.

• Killjoy
• Headcase
• From The Grave
• Reload This
• Show Stopper

Trup1aya

Thanks, that's an awesome chart and certainly explains it. And I am outside USA. Really neat to understand the skill system. My life goal is to get to high golds. I have played 1d 19h so far on Arena, so I need practice.

Nice! Is this your first time getting into Halo multiplayer?

Glass

2ZU1U3cl.jpg

Seriously perplexed how I got put in Silver 1 after seeing these numbers, despite topping my team in every placement match.

Trup1aya

Seriously perplexed how I got put in Silver 1 after seeing these numbers, despite topping my team in every placement match.

It also depends on who you played your matches against... Which depends in part, on where you were ranked at the end of preseason...

Glass

It also depends on who you played your matches against... Which depends in Paarl, on where you were ranked at the end of preseason...

Oh for sure, I realise I'm not going to get Onyx if I go 10-0 against some Bronze kids, but it literally put me against people I ran circles around for all the placement games rather then trying me against higher people. It was the only placement I felt was way off out of this season.

Trup1aya

It also depends on who you played your matches against... Which depends in part, on where you were ranked at the end of preseason...

Oh for sure, I realise I'm not going to get Onyx if I go 10-0 against some Bronze kids, but it literally put me against people I ran circles around for all the placement games rather then trying me against higher people. It was the only placement I felt was way off out of this season.

Oh I c. That is strange... I noticed that during my placement matches, my competition generally got tougher after each win, then plateaued when my performance did.

I played a bit of Halo 2 MP, and Halo 3, probably some 100h each in MP. Just broke through to Gold here, we'll see if it can last

You'll do fine. The last Halo game I loved was Halo2. Countless hours. I feel like the series got progressively worse from there. Anyway, I started out Gold 1 during preseason and grinded my way to plat4. Spent the early days just trying to get acclimated to FPS controls again... It wasn't until i started recalling the halo meta game that I could actually start moving up. I'm hovering around plat 5 now, with aspirations of reaching diamond

singhr1

I played a bit of Halo 2 MP, and Halo 3, probably some 100h each in MP. Just broke through to Gold here, we'll see if it can last

I love how 100h in each is just "a bit" for some people :)

But for real, unless you already knew, the system is set-up so you can't drop back down to silver. Once you're gold, you stay gold (or higher) for this season. Only way now is up :)

I saw this when it first got uploaded, yet soooo much funnier now for some reason

Madness

Probably a combination of population and difference in skill. For all you know, maybe you're as good as the gold and platinums but they've grinded with a team to get higher etc.

I think high Diamond, Onyx and Champion is the difference in skill, and high silver, gold, platinum are somewhat of a wash.

clav

Warzone needs to remove increased shields on start without powerups.

I feel like I'm playing COD4 MW with Juggernaut on.

Or it's lag? I feel like every player has hardened shield at some point in the matches and my bullets stop registering.

This game makes me angry.

edit: "Upgraded Shields" armor mod. So game breaking. What the fuck was 343i thinking?

JackHerer

yeah their launch map count was also disingenuous, so I wouldn't be surprised if you are right...

Even though they were made in studio, members of the community made them, and in just a weeks time with unfinished tools. While I think they did a great job, they obviously aren't of a quality that people would expect from a premium peice of content. If their argument is that the req system is justified by the free content it funds, and they give us content that would have typically been free... It just doesn't jibe well with me...

Yeah it kind of feels like they haven't clarified that issue purposely so that they can have some wiggle room in what they actually create in that time period. Only thing we know is we can expect 5 more Warzone maps.

Sometimes I wonder who makes these teams... lol

Another funny story, I go do some btb, and this guy's gamertag is HALO 5 TRASH. He starts by grabbing the sniper and betrays me and someone else. He instantly gets kicked. I go look at his game history he only finished four games out of his last 20. I just don't understand why people do this. You really have nothing better to do then joining games just to betray people? Whatever, he'll get banned. I just don't understand some people in this community

Yeah... last night there was a guy on our team who went -2 (2 suicides with 0 kills) and 19 deaths... we lost the game with a score something like 50 - 35. The guy was throwing nades to himself facing a wall for Christ's sake...
Is deranking still a thing in Halo 5?

Yeah... last night there was a guy on our team who went -2 (2 suicides with 0 kills) and 19 deaths... we lost the game with a score something like 50 - 35. The guy was throwing nades to himself facing a wall for Christ's sake...
Is deranking still a thing in Halo 5?

Maybe it was anti.

Lulzzzzzz

Ramirez

I'm not sure if Halo 5 follows Halo 4 exactly but in Halo 4 you had to get one of the following medals to fulfill the Combat Opportunity commendation.

• Killjoy
• Headcase
• From The Grave
• Reload This
• Show Stopper

I think you're right. FtG and SS are the only two I've seen gain a tick in the commendation. Do the other 3 even exist anymore? I can't recall getting any of them and I've played a shit load.

According to that chart, I'm in the top 1500 roughly in Slayer? Shiiiiiet.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I love how 100h in each is just "a bit" for some people :)

But for real, unless you already knew, the system is set-up so you can't drop back down to silver. Once you're gold, you stay gold (or higher) for this season. Only way now is up :)

Oh phew, didn't know that. I'd have a fair few of my recent matches look like this, I'd be pissed if I dropped a level:

I just want to take this time to give a shout out to the homie nilla and all the others who struggle in the journey to Mk. IV and soon Mk. V. May you all get lucky and feel once again what it is to play Halo with the Spartan armor.

343 should be showering people with REQ points in my opinion. What downside is there to doubling the payout we receive now? It's not like having 10 Needlers is anything different than having 89 of them lol. I think that could be more of an incentive to keep people in matches instead of making harsher quit penalties, which don't seem to be working.

I just want to take this time to give a shout out to the homie nilla and all the others who struggle in the journey to Mk. IV and soon Mk. V. May you all get lucky and feel once again what it is to play Halo with the Spartan armor.

343 should be showering people with REQ points in my opinion. What downside is there to doubling the payout we receive now? It's not like having 10 Needlers is anything different than having 89 of them lol. I think that could be more of an incentive to keep people in matches instead of making harsher quit penalties, which don't seem to be working.

I tried gold packs for a bit after the Mk. IV release with no luck, went back to filling out silver tier reqs. I have around 86 reqs until I finish silver packs and then I'll move onto gold in hopes of Mk IV.

Fuchsdh

I mean, you get free REQ packs with wins now, and each of those has probably been boosting my payouts by 20-50% depending on the RP/XP boosts I've been getting. If you care about cosmetics only you can easily farm up enough credits from selling packs to get two or three silver packs in a sitting.

Their goal is probably to keep X% of people away from maxing out their REQs before they can add more. Unless that shifts I don't see them changing it much.

I have continued to play this game because I want to like it.

But believe me when I say that playing solo in this game is a worse experience than counter strike go soloqueuing.

There are so many tryhard groups and stupidly skilled players ruining matches and so many people eager to quit after the first 5 minutes if they aren't winning or on top of the leaderboard. And nobody communicates or plays objective.

Microsoft/343 made a huge mistake catering to these wannabe pro players and the esports scene. It's going to continue to erode away at the player base because playing this game casually is not a fun experience.

I'm better than average, I think. I like the movement abilities and I love the feel of the pistol. But man does this game frustrate me more than any other shooter.

Also the lag has been pretty bad lately. Players just completely disappear and reappear in a different spot. It's awful.

Madness

Even worse is the fact they have done 3-4 versions of the same armor. So that you can end up getting a copy of the same armor, helmet before you get a different one. All random too.

Not a fan of how limited customization is, forcing you to piecemeal unlock things you don't even want to get what you eventually will, especially emblems. I've yet to unlock the DMR for Warzone, but have so many BR, SMG, Assault rifles. Just finally got the Banshee last week, and yet have 5 different scout warthogs, several different mongoose, something I've never used once in almost 100+ matches.

Is the plasma castor a shitty power weapon or am I just crap?

Im lucky to get a kill with it, I only pick it up in the hope i'll add to the commendations target but im still way off.

I hear the click of enemy damage, rarely get the kill.

nahlakhai

I have continued to play this game because I want to like it.

But believe me when I say that playing solo in this game is a worse experience than counter strike go soloqueuing.

There are so many tryhard groups and stupidly skilled players ruining matches and so many people eager to quit after the first 5 minutes if they aren't winning or on top of the leaderboard. And nobody communicates or plays objective.

Microsoft/343 made a huge mistake catering to these wannabe pro players and the esports scene. It's going to continue to erode away at the player base because playing this game casually is not a fun experience.

I'm better than average, I think. I like the movement abilities and I love the feel of the pistol. But man does this game frustrate me more than any other shooter.

Also the lag has been pretty bad lately. Players just completely disappear and reappear in a different spot. It's awful.

I agree with your thoughts on the quitting, and I've been saying over and over quitting needs a harsher penalty. But you should be playing BTB or Warzone if you're looking for a social experience. 4v4 Arena and Slayer have always been about the competition and the quitting is what will ruin it, not the try-hard or esport mentality of it.

clav

So when's armor lock coming back since Warzone is never supposed to be balanced?

Replace sprint button with Reach's other Spartan features.

Im lucky to get a kill with it, I only pick it up in the hope i'll add to the commendations target but im still way off.

It's bad. Only really works if the enemy is in an enclosed space or sits still for you.

They should have cut it from the game and replaced it with that awesome sticky launcher from halo 4.

I agree with your thoughts on the quitting, and I've been saying over and over quitting needs a harsher penalty. But you should be playing BTB or Warzone if you're looking for a social experience. 4v4 Arena and Slayer have always been about the competition and the quitting is what will ruin it, not the try-hard or esport mentality of it.

I don't mind try hard its the games where you never run into an enemy by themselves, always get flanked whenever you try to attack a player, all the power weapons are taken, etc.

Why is there no join in progress? Makes no sense.

Black ops 3 does a really good thing where if you join in progress you don't get credit for the loss if the team loses.

Ramirez

I don't mind try hard its the games where you never run into an enemy by themselves, always get flanked whenever you try to attack a player, all the power weapons are taken, etc.

Why is there no join in progress? Makes no sense.

Black ops 3 does a really good thing where if you join in progress you don't get credit for the loss if the team loses.

Because JIP is shit.

Try hard is also the dumbest FPS term ever invented. Don't try and win guys!!

I'm pretty good with it, and I use the primary semi auto fire most of the time. In a hallway aim down so it hits the ground first and just start firing off shots and strafing. It's not always that simple, but basically use the bounciness to your advantage.

I like it because it has interesting properties unlike weapons like the rocket launcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom