• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trup1aya

Campaign versus multiplayer assets. There's nothing happening really in those shots. Whereas you have to account for 8-24 players in multiplayer, a myriad of weapons and vehicles and maintaining 60fps.

Just imagine though, what campaign spaces could have looked like, had they said we should stick to 60fps for multiplayer, but do locked 30fps for campaign.

I do think the dev maps look really good though. I mean Overgrowth is definitely a looker, maps like Plaza definitely ooze visual appeal. The only issue is we haven't really gotten any dev created outdoors spaces aside from Forge or Warzone. I want a map using the colors and look of Reunion/Genesis etc. I need that water, that skybox, the visual art in an arena map.

It's not the mp graphics that people complain about ... It's the art direction...

There are scenes in the single player campaign that are every bit as chaotic as MP can be, but they take place in playspaces that are much more appealing to the eye...

link1201

I am probably in the minority but I wish they'd add the hidden ranks to WZ. The best/most fun WZ maps are when everyone has about the same number of kills imo. The games that have amazing players/Full parties aren't that fun. I don't think matching teams based on req packs is feasible nor does it work as well as the arena mm system. This is from my middle of the bell curve/solo player perspective. I'm happy for their Halo greatness but I don't want to play with or against them.

E92 M3

Yea they do :/

Social playlists need to just take out hidden ranks or at least have a much much bigger range of skill levels for matches. But I guess just hiding the ranks was the quickest way to get social playlists in... of course it may be intentional too.

To me connection should really be the only thing that matters for social though. If I want close and intense matches I'll go play ranked. *shrug*

Would explain why social is always sweaty lol. It seems counter-intuitive to have hidden ranks.

Trup1aya

Would explain why social is always sweaty lol. It seems counter-intuitive to have hidden ranks.

I really don't understand this 'sweaty' notion...

Does this mean too many people are actively trying to win? It seems to me that some people who try to win "social" games, lose them, then they complain that their opponents were sweaty try hards...

Isn't the complainer actually upset because he himself is a sweaty try hard?

Why is having hidden ranks counter intuitive? I don't think the silvers among us would have fun getting donged on by the champions...

jem0208

Does this mean too many people are actively trying to win? It seems to me that some people who try to win "social" games, lose them, then they complain that their opponents were sweaty try hards...

Why is having hidden ranks counter intuitive? I don't think the silvers among us would have fun getting donged on by the champions...
The thing I've noticed is that most of the people complaining about the social matchmaking are high ranking. Basically they want to dong.

The thing I've noticed is that most of the people complaining about the social matchmaking are high ranking. Basically they want to dong.

LOL, of course. I have no issues getting into Big Team and it's always a blast, win or lose. I'm in, I'm playing, no de-ranking to worry about. Of course, I still want to win and play to that end, but no big deal if not.

There was always a transparency to the cries for social playlists from certain segments

Madness

Social has (hidden) ranks and matchmaking matches people according to them? What the fuck. Any word from 343i on getting rid of them anytime soon?

Isn't having no ranks like literally the sole reason social exists.

You're always going to have some sort of skill matching. The point of social is that tons of people develop anxiety and don't want to play ranked for fear of getting a visible rank that they feel ashamed of. So they give you playlists where you won't be ranked, and where your stats aren't counted and displayed like they are for ranked matches.

Asking for no internal mmr/hidden ranks would lead to huge discrepancies and skills where you could have a team of diamond/onyx going up against bronze and silver and going like 100-10 or something. Why wouldn't you want people at least your skill level in the social ranks? Just so you can be paired against lower skilled and shit on them? Additionally, if you're a weaker player it also means you won't necessarily go up against pros.

Strider

I'm not good enough to dong on people like that...

I just want a playlist where I can sit back and have a chance to win sometimes without being all sweaty myself. If that means running in to players better than me sometimes I really don't care.

With Skill based MM it's literally bring your A game or lose which isn't really all that fun for a social playlist IMO. I just wanna kick back and shoot stuff with my pistol man.

I also think fast queue times should be very important in a social playlist. It's a shame some people can't/could'nt even find matches in BTB and the removed holiday social playlist. Save the longer queue times for ranked where creating balanced teams is much more important.

E92 M3

I like to mess around in social and try different jumps, weapons and strategies, but when the competition is serious business I have no choice but to play seriously to win. Social has always been about experimentation to me. So, the folks making assumptions about me are wrong ;)

Devil's advocate: Show me a person that doesn't love to destroy the competition?

aravuus

Asking for no internal mmr/hidden ranks would lead to huge discrepancies and skills where you could have a team of diamond/onyx going up against bronze and silver and going like 100-10 or something. Why wouldn't you want people at least your skill level in the social ranks? Just so you can be paired against lower skilled and shit on them? Additionally, if you're a weaker player it also means you won't necessarily go up against pros.

Honestly? I think finding lag-free matches fast is far more important to me on social than having super even-skilled teams. Mix up bronzes and diamonds and whatever, as long as they get evenly spread on both teams I'm fine with it. I'd honestly rather get my ass kicked and kick a lot of ass every now and then than have every match be a close call. Much more relaxing that way, which is what I'm looking for in online games.

That said, I don't have the game yet, so I suppose it's hard to say if it's going to be a problem. If I got the system right (10 first matches decide your rank depending on how well YOU personally do, after which rising or falling in ranks is entirely dependent on your team), I feel kinda inclined to purposefully fuck around for those first 10 matches.

most games that use MMR have a sort of 'soft' ranking for the unranked modes, I've played league of legends unranked (which still has an MMR value assigned to you) for a long time and while most games have been competitive, I never really felt the anxiety that playing a ranked game can give.

In practice, MMR/ELO systems in general need not only a large sample size (which we thankfully have) but also some time to fully tune and balance out (ie everyone getting into onyx SWAT at the start). Halo bolted on its social playlists after launching with all ranked stuff, so it wouldn't surprise me if there's still a good month or two of tuning to the ratings before it feels less competitive.

On the flip side, just be thankful these players don't have easy access to text chat in game....~

Glass

For those watching the UK qualifiers on Twitch atm, spotted this on Twitter

CYDY3LKUkAA8O_D.jpg

pieface

I'm sorry if it seems like I moan a lot in this thread. I really do love this game, but that's why I find so many aspects of it so frustrating!

Do any other diamond 1 players keep getting matched against Onyx all the time? I never seem to get matched against Platinum.

jem0208

I'm sorry if it seems like I moan a lot in this thread. I really do love this game, but that's why I find so many aspects of it so frustrating!

Do any other diamond 1 players keep getting matched against Onyx all the time? I never seem to get matched against Platinum.
Your MMR is probably higher than most platinum players.

I'm diamond 1 and usually get matched with Onyx players as well. I quite like it, implies I'm playing well.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I was Onyx in SWAT at the end of last season so I don't care when (I'm gold now) I get mismatched because I am inconsistent in positive and negative ways. So I can at least hang.Also when I stream on Twitch I play worse because people are watching. All four of them.

link1201

Honestly? I think finding lag-free matches fast is far more important to me on social than having super even-skilled teams. Mix up bronzes and diamonds and whatever, as long as they get evenly spread on both teams I'm fine with it. I'd honestly rather get my ass kicked and kick a lot of ass every now and then than have every match be a close call. Much more relaxing that way, which is what I'm looking for in online games.

That said, I don't have the game yet, so I suppose it's hard to say if it's going to be a problem. If I got the system right (10 first matches decide your rank depending on how well YOU personally do, after which rising or falling in ranks is entirely dependent on your team), I feel kinda inclined to purposefully fuck around for those first 10 matches.
I tried that in ffa and still ranked high gold. I tried messing around to de rank (for science) but still kept doing semi well so I'm platinum now. I guess I get bored too quickly to be able to derank on purpose.

E92 M3

I was Onyx in SWAT at the end of last season so I don't care when (I'm gold now) I get mismatched because I am inconsistent in positive and negative ways. So I can at least hang.Also when I stream on Twitch I play worse because people are watching. All four of them.

Do you actually stream lol?

If you told Team Frankie about your streaming, we would all join the chat and chant - ALL GLORY TO FRANKIE - with each headshot you performed.

GEEE! haha

im gold now too

Ont

So someone looked into the UK Halo 5 server situation and it pretty much confirms what many people have already suspected.

It is such a wonderful game, but this issue is game breaking to me.

Hello everyone,

I'm CTO at Netduma, a router company (hence the gamertag). This post is my personal opinion and does not reflect our company.

I've personally been a HUGE halo fan, I even got my level 50 in MLG in Halo 3. I'll be honest I haven't liked any of the Halos since Halo 3, but I absolutely love halo 5. My friend and Netduma CEO Luke clocked up loads of hours of the Doubles playlist over the holidays.

Anyway, to cut to the chase we are based in the UK and also noticed the gross (in my opinion) unfairness of the server locations and it is, I believe, the only major downside of the game (plus the recent removal of the amazing doubles playlist ;-) )

I'm posting here because I thought you guys might find the following photo useful. Here are all the dedicated servers used in Halo 5 (shown as circles or padlocks):
http://imgur.com/CbkU5ql

In our experience, based in the UK, we only get, at the very best of times, 1 out of 5 games on an EU server. So the rest have always been US, mostly in the central USA area (see the map) and sometimes in NY or Seattle. The lowest ping for UK to US for us is 90ms but with Seattle hosts its way beyond 120ms. If we do get the local Irish server we get 15ms ping. Very rarely we've had a South East Asian dedicated server and that is close to unplayable (but this has only happened once or twice).

As stated above, at best 1/5 games are local EU games in Team arena. In other playlists like FFA we've regularly seen beyond 20 games in row in the USA. I have no idea how the server selection works so it could be different for each player. I could speculate the location of other players and skill level could be a factor. If the former then time of day would influence the selection. Anyway hope that info helps.

LINK

Trup1aya

I like to mess around in social and try different jumps, weapons and strategies, but when the competition is serious business I have no choice but to play seriously to win. Social has always been about experimentation to me. So, the folks making assumptions about me are wrong ;)

Devil's advocate: Show me a person that doesn't love to destroy the competition?

I'm sorry that makes no sense...

You want to be able to fuck around all game... And still win.. And if you can't fuck around and win its because the matchmaking is bad?

Maybe people like shooting people they see fucking around... Maybe those people want to win just as bad as you, and their skill level has nothing to do with it...

Akai__

That's cool and stuff, but how many sleeps? Also, please check your PM's, if you have some free time.

So someone looked into the UK Halo 5 server situation and it pretty much confirms what many people have already suspected.

LINK

I'd like to know how they measured these stats and data, so I can do the same. Ping times and server connections would be pretty useful.

jem0208

Thinking about it, I don't think I've ever had a game where I personally had poor ping, it's always been playable.

The worst I've had is other people lagging and skipping around.

Madness

LINK

What does this confirm though? There is probably a reason why those guys are matching with the US servers for games. I mean the MS Azure servers for Europe are either Dublin or Amsterdam right? I thought for a lot of UK guys it was relatively stable games/matches.

Going by this picture, it seems the servers are California, Chicago, Virginia and another east coast city, Brazil, Dublin Ireland, Amsterdam, Singapore, Beijing, Osaka and Saitama Japan, Melbourne and Sydney for Australia.

E92 M3

I'm sorry that makes no sense...

You want to be able to fuck around all game... And still win.. And if you can't fuck around and win its because the matchmaking is bad?

Maybe people like shooting people they see fucking around... Maybe those people want to win just as bad as you, and their skill level has nothing to do with it...

No "fuck around" but experiment and not play super seriously. If the other team is playing super seriously, it's not fun to constantly be getting killed. I don't know why it's so hard to understand this concept, in all previous games social/BTB was a fun mode to just play and not be super serious. A way to relax from arena. Secondly, it's not always about winning in social.

C'mon man, you're taking my words and twisting them for another agenda. The whole purpose of social is to have a relaxing playlist. You're actively trying to pretend to not understand what social playlists have represented.

Ont

Thinking about it, I don't think I've ever had a game where I personally had poor ping, it's always been playable.

The worst I've had is other people lagging and skipping around.

It's all playable, most of the time that is not the issue. The problem with Arena mode is that you might be matched up against people with low pings of 15ms - 50ms whilst you are playing with a high ping which is over 100ms. It is not fair to you no matter how playable the game feels to you.

I hadn't played this game since the day after Xmas... played 5 games and had the other team quit out in 2 of them and my team quit out in 1 of them. People just up and quit when they get down by as much as 5 kills, makes sense if you reallt truly care abut rank
.. if there is no punishment (or bonus) for quitting why not quit out and save you the time because there is a good chance you've already lost. Even being on the winning end of it is not fun like at all (reminds me of old madden when an opponent disconnected and you had to finish the game against a cpu so you half assed or tried stupid things). Itso seriously at the point where I'm shocked to open the scores creed mid game and still see 8 players.

Even little 5 minute games like rocket league punish quitters, how come halo 5 does not? This more then anything is spoiling my enjoyment of this otherwise incredible gsme.

The disappointing part is we haven't heard a single thing from 343i on the issue... that leads me to believe that maybe they don't even see it as an issue.

Ont

What does this confirm though? There is probably a reason why those guys are matching with the US servers for games. I mean the MS Azure servers for Europe are either Dublin or Amsterdam right? I thought for a lot of UK guys it was relatively stable games/matches.

It confirms the well known fact that Halo 5 is the only competitive online shooter that places me on American servers which is beyond ridiculous. It's fine in games like Destiny in which your ping does not really matter, but it is not right when you are playing ranked matches with other people.

To me a business practise like this is much much worse than holding content for the paid DLC.

Tawpgun

Man that's almost near the top most streamers Juices gets.

Kinda embarrassing, stinkles.

that's the joke.jpg

It's counter intuitive because it takes me 30 minutes (or longer sometimes) to find a BTB game. People play social to chill and goof off, every social game is 49-49 with me needing to call out like im on mainstage to get a W.

Trup1aya

No "fuck around" but experiment and not play super seriously. If the other team is playing super seriously, it's not fun to constantly be getting killed. I don't know why it's so hard to understand this concept, in all previous games social/BTB was a fun mode to just play and not be super serious. A way to relax from arena. Secondly, it's not always about winning in social.

C'mon man, you're taking my words and twisting them for another agenda. The whole purpose of social is to have a relaxing playlist. You're actively trying to pretend to not understand what social playlists have represented.

What words am I twisting? You said that you want to be able to 'experiment' and still win... That's an unreasonable expectation...

The only way they could guaruntee you such an experience would be to 1) consistently match you against players who are much worse than you or 2) consistently match you with players who have no interest in winning

The first would deny your opponents of the very experience YOU are expecting. The second is impossible to determine...

If YOU actually care about winning, and get upset when you don't... Aren't YOU the try hard? I experiment (i.e. Fuck around) in BTB without issue... I also don't feel bad when then other team wins...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ladies and Gentlemen, I submit to you, the BEST kind of guy on Xbox:

Pre-game lobby -

"Anyone have a mic?"
"Let's play as a team, OK?"
"I'll take snipes, listen for my callouts"

In Game:

"DO ANY OF YOU HAVE MICS? COME ON?"
"On my X. One hit."
"Come on guys don't...fuck"
"My X... COME ON PLAY LIEK A TEAM."
"You guys are not ... AGH my X"
"FUCK JUST... PLAY AS A TEAM"
"I died because you...ugh my x"
"You guys are losing this game for... UGH my X"
"Come on we can still...FUUUUUUU... <no, mom, I'm nearly...AAAAGH> my X'
"We're going to lose because you guys suck....ugh my X"

End game lobby:

"crickets" - dude finished second or third on our losing team. And caused us to lose by irritating the shit out of everyone.

Trup1aya

that's the joke.jpg

It's counter intuitive because it takes me 30 minutes (or longer sometimes) to find a BTB game. People play social to chill and goof off, every social game is 49-49 with me needing to call out like im on mainstage to get a W.

Would it be better if every match was 49-10? I think the people on the 10 side would feel like they are up against 'try hards'

Are we oblivious to the fact that there are two teams involved?

It sounds like you just care too much about winning in a social playlist.

Would it be better if every match was 49-10? I think the people on the 10 side would feel like they are yo against 'try hards'

Are we oblivious to the fact that there are two teams involved?

So it's cool I cant find a BTB game before 1pm because I was a champion last season? and if I go in solo i'll probably get smashed by a to8 champions from last season? ok.

You act like every H3 social game ended 50-5 with the 5 team all snapping their discs and never coming back to halo.

DJ Gunner

Halo 2 Team Training and Halo 3 Social playlists all had trueskill in the background to some degree. The skill difference between bottom-middle-top tiers in this game is too severe not to have some type of equalization system in place. I have friends who literally cannot move and look at the same time, let alone move and shoot, but they like playing Halo and other online shooters. Putting them in a game against anyone here in any playlist would ensure they never put the game in again.

jem0208

Pre-game lobby -

"Anyone have a mic?"

In Game:

"On my X. One hit."

End game lobby:

"crickets" - dude finished second or third on our losing team. And caused us to lose by irritating the shit out of everyone.

I've found that more often than not people on mic who complain about the team are the ones playing badly.

The worst I ever had was a BTB CTF game on Deadlock. We were losing by 1 cap and this guy on our team would not shut the fuck up about how terrible we were (he was middle of the leaderboard on our team).

With a minute left I sneak the enemy flag out the back of their base and I see this guy flying up the hill towards me in an empty Warthog whilst complaining how he's losing because of the team.

I'm very clearly visible, holding the flag, jumping up and down and he drives straight past me. All whilst complaining that the team sucks. I then promptly get killed.

I put my mic on to tell him to shut up and explain how he just lost the game for us and he immediately starts shouting about how shit I am. I was on the MVP of the match with about 5 more kills than anyone and a flag cap.

E92 M3

What words am I twisting? You said that you want to be able to 'experiment' and still win... That's an unreasonable expectation...

The only way they could guaruntee you such an experience would be to 1) consistently match you agaubsr players who are much worse than you or 2) consistently match you with players who have no interest in winning

The first would deny your opponents of the very experience YOU are expecting. The second is impossible to determine...

If YOU actually care about winning, and get upset when you don't... Aren't YOU the try hard? I experiment (i.e. Fuck around) in BTB without issue... I also don't feel bad when then other team wins...

Yes, I enjoy winning, but it's not paramount like in Arena. That is an inherent truth of the social playlist overall. Lets keep this simple, what is the point of the social playlist if everyone plays exactly like it's the arena?

Pre-game lobby -

"Anyone have a mic?"

In Game:

"On my X. One hit."

End game lobby:

I don't get it, does his xbox ache!?

IHaveIce

Banned

LINK

Not one German server location :)
Everyone in Eastern Europe aswell has to hope to get amsterdam? Woah.

Trup1aya

So it's cool I cant find a BTB game before 1pm because I was a champion last season? and if I go in solo i'll probably get smashed by a to8 champions from last season? ok.

You act like every H3 social game ended 50-5 with the 5 team all snapping their discs and never coming back to halo.

The MM times and the final scores are 2 separate issues... 343i could widen the parameters and still have even teams... You'd get into matches quicker, but scores would still likely be close...

What is an acceptably social score to you? 10pt gap w/ Izeebruh on top? 30 in favor of you?

Your problem is that you care about winning... And are getting matched against other people who care about winning... That's why your MMR is high... That's why their MMR is high. The solution is for you to not care so much about winning.

Intentionally matching players who are good AND want to win against players who aren't and don't doesn't make for an enjoyable social experience... At least not for half of the group.

belushy

Banned

Pre-game lobby -

"Anyone have a mic?"

In Game:

"On my X. One hit."

End game lobby:

Ban him!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom