• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't understand what makes these maps "bad"...

Colesium, truth, regret (this one had to grow on me), Eden, Fathom, Rig (strongholds only), Plaza... I think they are all, at worst, decent maps. Some are great even.

The only stinkers are Pegasus, Orion, and Overgrowth and Overgrowth really isn't bad for strong holds (the sword is gone.

The only real knock I have against the maps is the art direction. I wish they had some maps the look like Halo maps... there's a serious lack of the 'forerunner tech succumb to time' aesthetic .

The maps mostly play well...

Completely disagree. Only maps that play "well" are truth (which is a abomination of midship) fathom CTF and coliseum. So many little places to camp, so many close quarters situations, so many random obstacles/cover/walls to block sight lines. Playing Team Arena in Onyx makes me want to throw my head into the wall. It's like the map designers played CoD to get inspiration. Then more traditional Halo style maps in BTB are all forge, and warzone only has FOUR maps.

Trup1aya

Completely disagree. Only maps that play "well" are truth (which is a abomination of midship) fathom CTF and coliseum. So many little places to camp, so many close quarters situations, so many random obstacles/cover/walls to block sight lines. Playing Team Arena in Onyx makes me want to throw my head into the wall. It's like the map designers played CoD to get inspiration.

I agree with the obstacles issue on some maps... But none of the other stuff really...

"Little places to camp" can be found in the majority of all halo maps ever created... It less effective than ever in this game though, because grenades have hit markers.

"Close quarters situations" are, again, not exclusive to Halo 5. I don't feel like CQC is inherently an undesirable thing either. I don't feel like close quarters situations occur any more or less in this game than In Previous titles.

Also, some maps clearly favor specific games types... but that's not unique to halo either.

Laws00

I like maybe 2 maps out of all the maps i've played thus far on halo 5

like i said im not feeling it.

Everyone used to dog the maps of the past games, to me I didn't mind them. This games maps I don't know what it is I just don't like them that much.

jem0208

I don't see the problem with the maps.

Truth, Fathom, Colliseum, Plaza and Eden are all solid maps.

Empire and Regret are okay. Rig plays strongholds very well but slayer pretty poorly.

Pegasus is meh and Orion is just bad.

Overgrowth is currently pretty terrible but I think changing the weapons could fix that.

That's a pretty reasonable selection. My only issue is the lack of any really standout classic maps and the slight overuse of the soft white UNSC design.

Compare that to other Halo map selections at launch and its really not that bad. Halo 3 had 3 really good 4v4 maps, Guardian, Narrows and the Pit. Reach had 3 or 4 solid 4v4 maps, one of which was a straight up remake of Ivory Tower. Halo 4 had Haven and Adrift and that's about it.

5's map selection may not be as good as H2's for 4v4 but I'd say it's better than the others.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Man, getting to Gold 1 has really wrecked my KD, got it to just 7 kills from parity, but after gold I get matched against Platinum or even Diamond, lol

12U98nY.jpg

... but I accept matchmaking's sweet, sweet apology

It allowed me once in my life be THAT guy :D

I honestly think if they changed the weapon set on Overgrowth it would be okay.

Currently it's fucking bad though.

Aaaaand Overgrowth again...

They took out voting cause the same maps were being voted in all the time and guess what, no voting, same problem. What an improvement.

There hasn't been a map/gametype combo where I dread playing like I have with the other games. Overgrowth can be annoying because of radar and weapon placements, but it's not Halo 3 Isolation or Halo 2 Tombstone without host, etc.

That being said, I'd like to see Isolation in this game, Epitaph without shield doors or just about any other map people hated in previous games lol. They'd play a lot better in Halo 5, I'm sure.

EDIT:
So what's this Warzone thing, any good? I have put some 1d 23h into slayer, and finished campaign on heroic, but never wondered over to Warzone. Kinda only now realised it exists in the menu.
Warzone Assault is what you grind when you want to unlock Mk. IV, Mk. V and the CE Pistol.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So what's this Warzone thing, any good? I have put some 1d 23h into slayer, and finished campaign on heroic, but never wondered over to Warzone. Kinda only now realised it exists in the menu.

Strider

You'll hear mixed opinions since some people don't like the req system... I think it's pretty fuckin awesome though. I've seen some crazy shit in WZ plus it's fun having that many enemy spartans to shoot at...

Chittagong

Gold Member
You'll hear mixed opinions since some people don't like the req system... I think it's pretty fuckin awesome though. I've seen some crazy shit in WZ plus it's fun having that many enemy spartans to shoot at...

Interesting, reading the descriptions seems like a team based version of what I think Destiny is

Strider

Interesting, reading the descriptions seems like a team based version of what I think Destiny is

It's basically a bigger version of BTB. 12v12 on huge maps. There aren't power weapon pickups or anything on the map though... All weapons and vehicles are called in through req cards

Completely disagree. Only maps that play "well" are truth (which is a abomination of midship) fathom CTF and coliseum. So many little places to camp, so many close quarters situations, so many random obstacles/cover/walls to block sight lines. Playing Team Arena in Onyx makes me want to throw my head into the wall. It's like the map designers played CoD to get inspiration. Then more traditional Halo style maps in BTB are all forge, and warzone only has FOUR maps.

You seem quite impassioned, so I'm hesitant to pipe in at all - but I just don't get your complaints.

Loving the maps this time around, don't even understand the hate for overgrowth (but I only play team arena, so have only played strongholds on it so far).

(And yes, I've been playing halo since the original).

belushy

Banned
I do wonder why BTB isn't 12v12 this time around if Warzone is... couldn't possibly be a performance issue since Warzone maps are a lot bigger + has A.I, right?

Used a green rp boost.
Midway through arena match game disconnects and i get booted to main menu....

-_-

We were winning too :(((

Edit: my thoughts in the maps

Feel like they had to use a theme. System generated simulation. Everything is fabricated. No location is real. Everything is a lie.

Based ONI.

#huntthetruth

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'd put halo 5s maps overall better then 4 and reach. Despite the best halo 5 maps not being what I'd consider classic there are literally no stinkers, now that Orion is out.

OT, watching ninja do a crazy jump puzzle forge map. Looks cool, I'll have to see if I can find it in his fileshare and post it. First run looks like RAID level difficulty.

Ramirez

If H5 didn't have the worst maps in the halo franchise, it would most likely be my favorite halo.

Couldn't disagree more, this is the most solid set of Arena maps the series has ever seen, and with dev settings no less, it's not even close if we're going by that metric.

mo60

I do wonder why BTB isn't 12v12 this time around if Warzone is... couldn't possibly be a performance issue since Warzone maps are a lot bigger + has A.I, right?

There probably is not enough space on the BTB maps to support more than 16 players simultaneously.

shoreu

I'd put halo 5s maps overall better then 4 and reach. Despite the best halo 5 maps not being what I'd consider classic there are literally no stinkers, now that Orion is out.

OT, watching ninja do a crazy jump puzzle forge map. Looks cool, I'll have to see if I can find it in his fileshare and post it. First run looks like RAID level difficulty.

Pegasus is a stinker.

I don't mind the maps, yet there really isn't a map that I absolutely love. All the maps are passable, but there are no standout maps for me.

Madness

They're all moved into their new building right? At least now every team is in the same place. I wonder what will happen to 434 Kirkland. Just too small for any modern AAA studio. It's why Bungie left as well.

I just wish there were more maps.

When you narrow down to one playlist session it's clear there are only approx. 2-3 maps circulating with any weighting on them. It holds true for Arena, Warzone or BTB.

The one thing i hate the most about Halo 5 is the radar system, if i'm not wrong the previous Halo games had a 25 meter radar where Halo 5's is even shorter and i just hate when the enemy comes out of nowhere and back-smacks me even when I'm looking at the radar to be cautious. 343....please bring back the old radar system!!

As someone that loves the radar on by default and always has I completely agree. Maps like overgrowth really highlight what sprint+thrust+sword/charge does with a weak radar. Warzone vehicles can also be a real issue on foot with a small radius radar, sure they up the radar a bit in Warzone but not enough IMO. I hear similar sentiments pretty often from mates too.

Hunted

Neo Member
The one thing i hate the most about Halo 5 is the radar system, if i'm not wrong the previous Halo games had a 25 meter radar where Halo 5's is even shorter and i just hate when the enemy comes out of nowhere and back-smacks me even when I'm looking at the radar to be cautious. 343....please bring back the old radar system!!

And have everyone crouch camping? The radar is fine, I'd rather not have it. Learn to avoid spartan charge and ground pound from their distinctive sound effects.

Hunted

Neo Member
Or maybe produce a system where if you crouch for more than 5 seconds you would automatically become visible to the opponents? but anyways it just bothers me that i have to focus on the sound to catch the closer opponents.

Ramirez

Stop relying so heavily on radar.

This is why I love this game! This was so close at the end. It was a 4v3, but that teams were really weird. They had two Onyxes, a Diamond 4, and a Gold 5 (lol?). The Gold is the one that quit like three minutes in he was 0-7 and really the reason why they were losing at the start. Once he quit they started to make a comeback. But damn I love endings like this!

gAg CruSh3r

I'm leaving this here. I been working on this forge map since it launched. I am going into play testing mode this Friday to get a grasp of what stuff that might need to change.

Note: In the video at the end there is a slide that works in Forge but not in customs. I will be making sure it works by final release.

I hope you guys like what you see!

https://youtu.be/9jsKEIRRKTg

mo60

This is why I love this game! This was so close at the end. It was a 4v3, but that teams were really weird. They had two Onyxes, a Diamond 4, and a Gold 5 (lol?). The Gold is the one that quit like three minutes in he was 0-7 and really the reason why they were losing at the start. Once he quit they started to make a comeback. But damn I love endings like this!

The enemy team in a slayer match I played on Pegasus a day or so ago decided to stand in certain parts of the map to make it easier for us to kill them at the start of the map for some odd reason. We managed to get a lot more kills than the enemy team in the first couple of minutes of the match because of this. I killed multiple enemy players that were not moving with the sniper rifle at the start of the movement.I eventually went for another one of their teammates and failed to kill that teammate with the sniper rifle. The team then decided to start mounting a comeback after I died and we started dying a lot more. My team still won 50-44.I thought we were going to lose that match at one point because they were playing kinda aggressive sometimes.

Leyasu

Banned
Couldn't disagree more, this is the most solid set of Arena maps the series has ever seen, and with dev settings no less, it's not even close if we're going by that metric.

I agree with this. They are solid.

A real shame that the BTB offering is below sub par.

IHaveIce

Banned
True, other halo's maps where only close to be as good after 2 Title Updates.
I still think a lot of the maps need different weapons or placements around the map, but the maps themselves are really good.
Only no dev made BTB maps sucks and that there are only 4 maps fir their new node that was advertised so strongly.

I'm leaving this here. I been working on this forge map since it launched. I am going into play testing mode this Friday to get a grasp of what stuff that might need to change.

Note: In the video at the end there is a slide that works in Forge but not in customs. I will be making sure it works by final release.

I hope you guys like what you see!

https://youtu.be/9jsKEIRRKTg
That looks really good gag

Yeah, these don't even come close to being the worst lineup of maps, Reach is the worst, followed by Halo 4. Even Halo 3 has lower quality maps than 5 (Snowbound, Epitah, Construct and Isolation). That being said, I don't find any of the maps to be standouts. Hopefully such a thing is on the Horizon. I'd like to see developer made Haven and Lockout spiritual successors, lots of potential there.

Trup1aya

Pegasus is a stinker.

yes Pegasus is bad, but really it's down to that light rifle corner being impregnable and providing covered access to both power weapons...

It would be a decent map if they tweaked that area a bit...

I also no longer hate overgrowth... Because it plays strongholds pretty well... Not having a sword on the map goes a long way...

I know longer hate regret... My precious issue with it was the lack of visual queues to help orient myself after spawning... But over time, things started making sense to me. I like it now...

I actually like all the Warzone maps...

I've never really cared for BTB, so I'm not sure how these maps play compared to older halo titles, but I'm actually having fun this time around. I like basin, standoff, and guillotine... Recurve is weird... And i only played antifreeze once, and couldn't figure out the flow

pieface

I'd say the good maps are...

Plaza
Coliseum
Regret
Rig
Fathom

Everything else is pretty rubbish. Especially Overgrowth. Worst Halo map ever!

BTB is an embarrassment. The Valhalla map is decent, the Headlong map is decent, everything else is so poor. Standoff is just terrible.

And meh... Warzone is Warzone, i have no interest in that game type at all, seems that's where a lot of 343's focus went, which is a shame. Definitely wasn't worth completely neglecting BTB over.

Nutter

I'd say the good maps are...

Plaza
Coliseum
Regret
Rig
Fathom

Everything else is pretty rubbish. Especially Overgrowth. Worst Halo map ever!

BTB is an embarrassment. The Valhalla map is decent, the Headlong map is decent, everything else is so poor. Standoff is just terrible.

And meh... Warzone is Warzone, i have no interest in that game type at all, seems that's where a lot of 343's focus went, which is a shame. Definitely wasn't worth completely neglecting BTB over.

Where is truth?

The best map in the game!

yeah, (althouth connection issues here) I haven't felt the need to play the game anymore. maps arent good just doesn't feel right. I sort of like fathom and a couple more maps a bit but the game isn't worth playing waiting for those maps to show up.

Anyways, will wait and see how more forge maps turn out if my connection ever lets me play (in china) so probably not until I change my modem and internet or something.

Anyways, will see how halo 6 goes I guess.

The BTB maps are disappointing to me. Where are all the vehicles? One of the best parts of BTB is the variety of vehicles; the maps hardly have any at all. The sun on Standoff alone makes me hate that map, you can’t see anything.

tumblr_ly8lkcv0XF1qaxm50o1_500.gif

Leyasu

Banned
The BTB maps are disappointing to me. Where are all the vehicles? One of the best parts of BTB is the variety of vehicles; the maps hardly have any at all. The sun on Standoff alone makes me hate that map, you can’t see anything.

tumblr_ly8lkcv0XF1qaxm50o1_500.gif

Lol the lighting is terrible. BTB plays so fucking good in halo 5, yet is crushingly disappointing because of the map situation. I would be more than happy if they got a 3rd party to port over some halo 4 BTB maps.

Trup1aya

Lol the lighting is terrible. BTB plays so fucking good in halo 5, yet is crushingly disappointing because of the map situation. I would be more than happy if they got a 3rd party to port over some halo 4 BTB maps.

Yeah, makes me wonder how much content this game would have if the MCC fiasco never happened... Seems like All of 343i's go to contractors for maps had their hands in that mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom