• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magwik

Banned
Lol the lighting is terrible. BTB plays so fucking good in halo 5, yet is crushingly disappointing because of the map situation. I would be more than happy if they got a 3rd party to port over some halo 4 BTB maps.
I highly doubt they had planned to put BTB into the game until people spoke up a bit

Yeah, makes me wonder how much content this game would have if the MCC fiasco never happened... Seems like All of 343i's go to contractors for maps had their hands in that mess.
I also doubt that the game was ready to launch last year and a lot of things had to be cut which is galrringly obvious via the content updates.

It's confirmed now that the file limit for Forge is 40 saved and 100 bookmarked. MCC was 50 saved (dunno how much bookmarked/fileshared). It's worth noting that since MCC, maps have been stored through the Cloud as opposed to locally.

And I have no idea why. Does the map itself load faster? We have bigass storage drives, so why not use them?

I remember having 700+ files in Reach (most of them backups because save gltiching was and still is a thing) and at least half of that in Halo 4. Granted, I don't miss waiting 5 minutes for my library to load, but I'd prefer the ability to save whenever over constantly worrying about having enough free space whenever I save a copy of a file. Very disappointing to see this limit still in effect, and it's worse now that people can more or less steal maps from each other. So there are like twenty copies of maps with different modifications done to them - none of which the original author is given credit for if another person saves it.

Akai__

343i's silence... Still not a fan of it.

Even a tweet like "Happy new year guys. More H5 news this/next week." would be more than enough. Removing Playlists and not saying anything is just not the way you should do this... :(

It's confirmed now that the file limit for Forge is 40 saved and 100 bookmarked. MCC was 50 saved (dunno how much bookmarked/fileshared). It's worth noting that since MCC, maps have been stored through the Cloud as opposed to locally.

And I have no idea why. Does the map itself load faster? We have bigass storage drives, so why not use them?

I remember having 700+ files in Reach (most of them backups because save gltiching was and still is a thing) and at least half of that in Halo 4. Granted, I don't miss waiting 5 minutes for my library to load, but I'd prefer the ability to save whenever over constantly worrying about having enough free space whenever I save a copy of a file. Very disappointing to see this limit still in effect, and it's worse now that people can more or less steal maps from each other. So there are like twenty copies of maps with different modifications done to them - none of which the original author is given credit for if another person saves it.

I hope all of this changes with the File Browser update. Otherwise, people will probably have to Forge with secret accounts, so that people can't steal their stuff.

Leyasu

Banned
Yeah, makes me wonder how much content this game would have if the MCC fiasco never happened... Seems like All of 343i's go to contractors for maps had their hands in that mess.

It's a shame. And when you say that, it makes me wonder why they haven't contracted anyone else to work on maps. Whatever the they are planning, they need to beef up their staff for sure.

@Static jam. Yeah I wonder if BTB was not planned at all?

@ anybody, how do you quote more than one person???

jem0208

It's a shame. And when you say that, it makes me wonder why they haven't contracted anyone else to work on maps. Whatever the they are planning, they need to beef up their staff for sure.

@Static jam. Yeah I wonder if BTB was not planned at all?

@ anybody, how do you quote more than one person???
Click the little + button besides each post you want to quote then click post reply, it'll auto quote them for you.

Detective

Certain affinity worked on some maps before, aren't they good?

I really dont think 343i worked on any BTB maps or PvE modes.

They bet everything on WZ. Which is great only if it had more maps and modes.

Some really needs BTB and BTB modes, like Strongholds, CTF and so on.

Whats also more annoying is there servers issue, Latency and lag.

Its really killing my and many's momentum and love for Halo. Sometimes it works like it should be, Which is not much. And most of the time, I swear to god its a living hell. When you shotgun someone closeup to you and you end up dying from a BR its not funny. Or two sniper shots in the head. Grenades and what not. Nothing seems to do the trick.

Its sad because, I really love Halo, And love Halo 5 MP. Even with all the problems I have I still support it and play it. Am rarely playing other games because Gaming is Halo to me and Halo is gaming. Been that since day one Halo CE.

I really hope, For the sake of Halo and many who experience my issue 343 will fix this.
I still got my first Halo CE,2 3 reach Wars Copies.
it did hurt when I got refunded for Halo MCC. I hate to even think about getting a refund for Halo 5. With the little gaming time we have in our lifes, I would like to use that in Halo.

And when it works, It feels so amazing. magic feeling.

Fun custom games yesterday Halo GAF. Really enjoyed my time with ya guys.
Never thought one could make so much in FORGE, I was simply amazed.

Thanks again Spartans for inviting me , looking forward for more :p
You are the BEST :D

Akai__

1. Certain affinity worked on some maps before, aren't they good?

2. I really dont think 343i worked on any BTB maps or PvE modes.

3. They bet everything on WZ. Which is great only if it had more maps and modes.

I numbered the things, so it's easier to read.

1. Certain Affinity should stay where they are and that's doing the Doom MP. Only their Reach maps where truly good and after that the quality dropped significantly. Just look at their H2A maps... Stupid lighting, overuse of color filters and basically 2 colors for a map.

2. They worked on BTB maps, but that was with well known Forgers. Now, I don't remember what date it said on The Sprint episodes, but it was after Gamescom when they said that BTB will come after launch. By that time, nobody expected it to be only Forge maps, though.

As for PvE modes. They never mentioned these, so it probably was never in development or they cut it in an early prototype stage. Some people still have hopes for a Firefight Content Update, where you can use REQ's, but good luck with that.

3. Warzone is pretty okay in it's concept, but 12v12 seems really small for maps like Battle of Noctus and sometimes even on the other maps like Raid on Apex 7. I think the biggest misstep was Breakout. There seems to be only a smart percentage of the population that really likes it.

E92 M3

I really enjoyed the Halo 4 maps. And it's funny you guys are hating on Pegasus, it's actually one of my favorites because it plays more similarly to older Halo maps. When it comes to FFA, I'd say Fathom is below Pegasus. Playing Fathom on FFA is shit.

jem0208

I really enjoyed the Halo 4 maps. And it's funny you guys are hating on Pegasus, it's actually one of my favorites because it plays more similarly to older Halo maps. When it comes to FFA, I'd say Fathom is below Pegasus. Playing Fathom on FFA is shit.
Halo 4 has two of my favourite Halo maps: Haven and Monolith.

Other than that I found they were all pretty meh.

E92 M3

Halo 4 has two of my favourite Halo maps: Haven and Monolith.

Other than that I found they were all pretty meh.

Yes, both great playing maps. Adrift was a personal favorite of mine as well. As mentioned earlier, the key aspect of Halo 5 maps that I don't like is the lack of proper art direction and personality.

Detective

I numbered the things, so it's easier to read.

1. Certain Affinity should stay where they are and that's doing the Doom MP. Only their Reach maps where truly good and after that the quality dropped significantly. Just look at their H2A maps... Stupid lighting, overuse of color filters and basically 2 colors for a map.

2. They worked on BTB maps, but that was with well known Forgers. Now, I don't remember what date it said on The Sprint episodes, but it was after Gamescom when they said that BTB will come after launch. By that time, nobody expected it to be only Forge maps, though.

As for PvE modes. They never mentioned these, so it probably was never in development or they cut it in an early prototype stage. Some people still have hopes for a Firefight Content Update, where you can use REQ's, but good luck with that.

3. Warzone is pretty okay in it's concept, but 12v12 seems really small for maps like Battle of Noctus and sometimes even on the other maps like Raid on Apex 7. I think the biggest misstep was Breakout. There seems to be only a smart percentage of the population that really likes it.

Yeah, I thought of those reach Maps. Sad, I really think they were talented.

Exactly, Forge maps. Not real maps if you know what I mean. Which got me thinking that they placed every bet on WZ to capture the fans.

You dont think we will get some sort of PvE modes? * heartbroken * : (

I mean these modes are crucial to Halo. Every Halo iteration ads more contents, not taking out. It should be like that IMO.

Real BTB Maps, Slayer and objective
PvE ( Firefight at night )
king of the hill
Infection
Assault
Territories
Headhunter

Thats my dream. Really hope they can pull that off. They got the the people, Resources and talent.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...oryMatchIndex=0&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=All

eIOLA8Z.png

Could matchmaking be more shit than this?

I'm leaving this here. I been working on this forge map since it launched. I am going into play testing mode this Friday to get a grasp of what stuff that might need to change.

Note: In the video at the end there is a slide that works in Forge but not in customs. I will be making sure it works by final release.

I hope you guys like what you see!

https://youtu.be/9jsKEIRRKTg

Wow, that map looks like it would be REALLY fun to play on. Each section has great characteristics. High and low.

To me, each mp map in Halo had a backstory. Even in Halo 4. With halo 5, it's all about Spartans on the Infinity competing against eachother. Sure it's cool to have some maps created around a competitive layout, but not every damn map.

We need some fun maps that reflect these artist's creativity. That theme of every map needs to be perfect for arena competitive play is hogwash. We don't need all the arena maps to be competitive. Just a few. 343i plz?

maybe it's all ONI propoganda and were all effed.

Where my voice-over announcer customization though?

I highly doubt they had planned to put BTB into the game until people spoke up a bit

I also doubt that the game was ready to launch last year and a lot of things had to be cut which is galrringly obvious via the content updates.

Well they need to look at what Disney is doing with SW. Theyre not trying to be creative with it or putting their spin on it, theyre giving the people exactly what they want which is what Lucas wasnt doing. Look how it payed off.

We dont want 343s vision of Halo, we want what Halo has always been. Its not fucking complicated. Stop removing shit thats always been there and is expected in every game. Wheres assault, wheres juggernaut etc..

As for the content updates, i feel like this was their way of keeping people interested in the game long term. It gives people a reason to log in every month to check out the new content.

zarggat

Banned
anyone feel thqt forge is super complicated??

i cant for the life of me stand that you cant preview the objects before you place them and then deleting them takes too long.

That's the reason why I haven't bothered with it.

I had an idea for a map but the lack of any kind of preview was enough to make me quit right away... There is no way I'm going to build a map like that, it would take way too long to almost blindly open and delete items over and over.

Plus the controls are strange, should mirror the actual game as much as possible.

Karl2177

This is a disappointing aspect of Halo as a Service. A lot of this comes from using dedicated servers as its base. I'm in the same boat of wanting more. I'd be fine with a Bungie Pro system where I pay for a year of extra space.

Tawpgun

Yes, both great playing maps. Adrift was a personal favorite of mine as well. As mentioned earlier, the key aspect of Halo 5 maps that I don't like is the lack of proper art direction and personality.
What am I reading?

Haven was alright, for a halo 4 map. It looked pretty but suffered from poor gameplay art. You could never tell what side you were on or call out a side. Same thing with adrift, which was also too much narrow hallways. The flow of adrift was terrible. It's like overgrowth meets the rig.

Fuchsdh

Yeah I like Skyline, but playing 5v5 in MCC on it (and probably all the Halo 4 maps) isn't the most pleasant experience.

Yeah it's probably akin to a lot of CE maps in that doubles is its core experience, and then 4v4 CTF.

Honestly when it comes to maps the only antipathy I have is to Reach. Every other game I've liked the maps fine, although when it comes to porting the maps out of their original games you can run into some serious problems (with CEA showing the weaknesses of CE's maps, for example. Crazy power weapon placements aside CA's updated versions were superior to the originals.)

E92 M3

What am I reading?

Haven was alright, for a halo 4 map. It looked pretty but suffered from poor gameplay art. You could never tell what side you were on or call out a side. Same thing with adrift, which was also too much narrow hallways. The flow of adrift was terrible. It's like overgrowth meets the rig.

I am a sucker for interesting aesthetics. Adrift was fun in FFA. It's not like Halo 4 was super competitive anyways.

link1201

Remake The Pit for Halo 5.

Remake The Pit for every subsequent Halo game ever. It's the best map in existence. I need it in Halo 5.
It'd be nice if they started having a core amount of legacy maps. They might have to be spiritual successors due to changes in movement but I'd love to see the best maps from the past be present day one in new games.

jem0208

I honestly think H5 has my favourite art direction in the series when it comes to the environmental art:

oQ93CZDh.jpg

tIdG1h9h.jpg

WGjWBWqh.jpg

8awaHF6h.jpg

It's so damn gorgeous.

Glass

It really looks great. If campaign had theatre, half my play time would probably be spent in there. Would love some multiplayer maps on Sanghelios and Genesis. My only complaint is as always, the helmet as a non-toggleable part of the hud. Feels so damn claustrophobic, doesn't immerse me in the slightest.

Glass

And yet, the MP maps are so boring. How is the SP so fucking beautiful, and the MP maps so blah...

Yeah, I can't work it out either. To me it seems like the spartan abilities have to work seemlessly with maps, with clean edges to clamber onto etc, so the easiest thing is to make loads of sharp, straight edges, so we end up with the damn human metal aesthetic for way too many maps. That and they've done a bad job working individual aesthetics into the maps. What little there is, is on the outside of maps where you're never looking. Case in point, The Rig. The only reason it looks different from Empire or Eden is because the lightning palette is orange, not blue. And this only applies to Arena. Warzone maps are great and totally different from one another.

Yeah, I can't work it out either. To me it seems like the spartan abilities have to work seemlessly with maps, with clean edges to clamber onto etc, so the easiest thing is to make loads of sharp, straight edges, so we end up with the damn human metal aesthetic for way too many maps. That and they've done a bad job working individual aesthetics into the maps. What little there is, is on the outside of maps where you're never looking. Case in point, The Rig. The only reason it looks different from Empire or Eden is because the lightning palette is orange, not blue. And this only applies to Arena. Warzone maps are great and totally different from one another.

But those bases in WZ though...... =/

Trup1aya

Nah, they always planned to have BTB... It just appears that they'd planned launch it with Forge maps for sometime. We see that in the vidocs...

Whether or not that was a direct result of not having time, or whether it was always their plan we'll never no...

Detective

I honestly think H5 has my favourite art direction in the series when it comes to the environmental art:

oQ93CZDh.jpg

tIdG1h9h.jpg

WGjWBWqh.jpg

8awaHF6h.jpg

It's so damn gorgeous.

Simply amazing.
Just hoped we could have explored them more.
Like with the arbiter world. Instead of just firefighting throu it , we could have had something like the silent cartographer.

Or Genesis. Great art.

Trup1aya

anyone feel thqt forge is super complicated??

i cant for the life of me stand that you cant preview the objects before you place them and then deleting them takes too long.

I feel the exact opposite... I feel like this is the most easy to use forge in the series... Works just like a Windows program, really...

Glass

But those bases in WZ though...... =/

Hah yeah, I hope going forward they find ways to implement the maps into becoming the bases, rather then copy and pasting more metal rooms. Way too much of the action happens in those same rooms, negating whatever map you happen to be on.

Strider

Hidden ranks are preventing matchmaking?

Yea they do :/

Social playlists need to just take out hidden ranks or at least have a much much bigger range of skill levels for matches. But I guess just hiding the ranks was the quickest way to get social playlists in... of course it may be intentional too.

To me connection should really be the only thing that matters for social though. If I want close and intense matches I'll go play ranked. *shrug*

Hah yeah, I hope going forward they find ways to implement the maps into becoming the bases, rather then copy and pasting more metal rooms. Way too much of the action happens in those same rooms, negating whatever map you happen to be on.

Yeah, so much potentail to have covie, forerunner or even flood themed bases!

343i plz

gimmie those farting gas gyser bases. all hail the overmind.

Madness

And yet, the MP maps are so boring. How is the SP so fucking beautiful, and the MP maps so blah...

Campaign versus multiplayer assets. There's nothing happening really in those shots. Whereas you have to account for 8-24 players in multiplayer, a myriad of weapons and vehicles and maintaining 60fps.

Just imagine though, what campaign spaces could have looked like, had they said we should stick to 60fps for multiplayer, but do locked 30fps for campaign.

I do think the dev maps look really good though. I mean Overgrowth is definitely a looker, maps like Plaza definitely ooze visual appeal. The only issue is we haven't really gotten any dev created outdoors spaces aside from Forge or Warzone. I want a map using the colors and look of Reunion/Genesis etc. I need that water, that skybox, the visual art in an arena map.

aravuus

Social has (hidden) ranks and matchmaking matches people according to them? What the fuck. Any word from 343i on getting rid of them anytime soon?

Isn't having no ranks like literally the sole reason social exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom