• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played me some wz tonight. We are around 900-600 ahead. We have 2 bases. Warden is up.

Guy on our team is shouting "they're taking the garage! They're taking the garage! Come defend".

Urm no, everyone to the warden, they can keep the garage... Remember folks it's victory points that count!

Also discovered I had privacy set to no voice chat with strangers. Ooops... Thought I just had been unlucky with REALLY antisocial groups the last couple of weeks.

I just want one squad to play as in Halo 6. That squad should be lead by Chief. I just don't want Arby, Buck, and Locke to go away. Actually, it would be cool if Osiris was a squad working alongside with you throughout the campaign but you only played as Blue Team so you only get Blue Team's perspective.

The thing I don't think 343 got quite right with Halo 5 is....

General spoilers for the campaign:

We should have mostly played as Chief with maybe 2 missions as Osiris. Osiris missions should have felt special but instead Blue Team missions felt special and we started the game wanting to play as Chief anyway. 343 needed to make the player want to like Locke and Osiris, but instead Locke and Osiris felt like a barrier to playing as Chief and Blue Team.

I actually thought it was a pretty good decision on 343's part.
Master Chief and Blue Team's missions were the real emotional glue of the story, more so than any other mission with Locke and Osiris, although Osiris missions definitely had their moments. Basically, Cortana's turn to a legitimate threat is so huge an event in the Halo universe, and also because the Chief was still holding out for the faint possibility that he could somehow either rescue or even get Cortana to see things his way, I do really feel as if 343i could only do this game justice by using it more as a setup for the radical change it will be for any and everything Halo going forward, especially the games.

It took incredible restraint not to force more Chief and Blue Team into this one, or not to push further into how the Chief will cope in a world where Cortana is the greatest threat to both humanity and the larger galaxy. There's especially that incredible feeling you got when the Chief finally after all these years, made direct face to face contact with Dr. Halsey. You just know that whatever it is they will end up coming up with, Chief and Halsey working together is going to be like the ultimate weapon of sorts against Cortana.

343i left us with the absolutely most perfect possible setup for Halo 6.

I haven't played in a few days but I'm one of the TWC customers that only lags playing this game. I feel kinda cheated since my experience hasn't been as smooth as the majority. I'll hop on tomorrow to see if anything has changed.

Zeta Oni

Honestly, I hope they don't.
If you looked at the games on paper, most people would probably think people must be burnt out on this Chief fella. And I'd have assumed that would kind of happen. But really, with Reach and more recently this with Osiris, it feels like we've not had an overdose of Chief anytime recently so I could happily take solo Chief.

But that's the thing, it probably has little to do with people feeling like there's been "too much chief".

It's more about the fact that the Chiefs iconic voice is done by Steve Downes.

Steve Downes is what? 54 or 55 now? and he just retired from his normal job as a radio host back in March. We can't expect him to voice the Chief for the rest of his life. We also really cant expect them to replace such an iconic voice and not experience a backlash. I legitimately believe (especially since the last sprint episode) that Halo 6 is it
(for the chief)
. And it's the best oppertunity since 3 to do it the "right" way.

BraXzy

But that's the thing, it probably has little to do with people feeling like there's been "too much chief".

Steve Downes is what? 54 or 55 now? and he just retired from his normal job as a radio host back in March. We can't expect him to voice the Chief for the rest of his life. We also really cant expect them to replace such an iconic voice and not experience a backlash. I legitimately believe (especially since the last sprint episode) that Halo 6 is it. And it's the best oppertunity since 3 to do it the "right" way.

I keep forgetting about that. Life :(

Outrun

Hear hear.

I bitch about parts I don't like but the overall package is stellar and I've had a lot of fun with it. Am still in love with the soundtrack, the campaign on legendary feels so damn right, and Warzone still calls to me, even with its RNG madness. But ultimately it comes down to this: Simply moving and shooting and clambering and boosting in this game is really satisfying. When put in the right environment against the right mix of enemies - players and AI alike - its solid gold.

I'd be playing this a lot more if my buddies had Xboxes though. Where are the cheap Halo 5 bundles? Am I missing the real deals or are they all $500 bundles?

Not that i want to get into a pissing match with Battlefront, but i have been trying to use clamber and thrusters in that game!

Well done 343i

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I actually thought it was a pretty good decision on 343's part.
Master Chief and Blue Team's missions were the real emotional glue of the story, more so than any other mission with Locke and Osiris, although Osiris missions definitely had their moments. Basically, Cortana's turn to a legitimate threat is so huge an event in the Halo universe, and also because the Chief was still holding out for the faint possibility that he could somehow either rescue or even get Cortana to see things his way, I do really feel as if 343i could only do this game justice by using it more as a setup for the radical change it will be for any and everything Halo going forward, especially the games.

It took incredible restraint not to force more Chief and Blue Team into this one, or not to push further into how the Chief will cope in a world where Cortana is the greatest threat to both humanity and the larger galaxy. There's especially that incredible feeling you got when the Chief finally after all these years, made direct face to face contact with Dr. Halsey. You just know that whatever it is they will end up coming up with, Chief and Halsey working together is going to be like the ultimate weapon of sorts against Cortana.

343i left us with the absolutely most perfect possible setup for Halo 6.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the set-up to Halo 6, but I think Halo 5 suffered to get there. I think it would have been better for
Osiris to start the game, for there to be a mission with them perhaps in the middle, and then they could cap off the game rescuing Blue Team from the Cryptum. I don't think Chief would have felt forced if we played as him for the majority -- I feel like Osiris should have been ordered to go after Chief aggressively based on what ONI set up through HtT, and we should have played Osiris some to get that feeling of going after Chief, but Halo 5 should have been Chief's perspective on the Hunt the Truth situation. It could have been interesting if Osiris was kept out of the loop regarding Cortana as well, but as Chief we knew about her. Granted, Halo 6 may end up being the greatest Halo story told yet, but I wanted to play a great Halo story now and I'm not so sure I did (narratively anyway).

RobNBanks

Banned

Steve Downes is what? 54 or 55 now? and he just retired from his normal job as a radio host back in March. We can't expect him to voice the Chief for the rest of his life. We also really cant expect them to replace such an iconic voice and not experience a backlash. I legitimately believe (especially since the last sprint episode) that Halo 6 is it
(for the chief)
. And it's the best oppertunity since 3 to do it the "right" way.
i was hoping 6 was the end of his story

seems fitting considering the post-credit scene

BraXzy

Not that i want to get into a pissing match with Battlefront, but i have been trying to use clamber and thrusters in that game!

Well done 343i

Hehe. I keep doing that myself in games too. I made my team wipe in Destiny's Hard Mode raid the first time we ran it because I missed a jump I casually made expecting a clamberoony. People were displeased :3

Zeta Oni

i was hoping 6 was the end of his story

seems fitting considering the post-credit scene

Oh its more than fitting imo.

I think they have been hinting at it since the day Halo 4 dropped. Halo 4 wasn't about simply continuing the story, it was about taking Halo and turning it into something more than just a simple video game series. It was about them realizing that the world of Halo is valuable, from toys and boardgames to cartoons and comics.

And then they realized, (something I would assume Bungie did after 3 and decided to move to Destiny) before any of us would admit it, that it only has one serious flaw stopping it from become a juggernaut of media on the level of Star Wars or Game of Thrones.

A high dependancy on just two characters:

The Chief and Cortana.

But, I know...Your saying something along the lines of "Well they didn't have to bring the Chief back. Look at Reach for example, a Halo without chief that did absolutely fine".

Yeah, but we both know the second 343 made a game taking place during the present, people would be begging for the Chief due to the nature of 3's ending.

So they plan a series of games to remove this issue stopping the franchise from reaching the next level.

And that issue is gonna get solved in 6 imo.

BraXzy

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the set-up to Halo 6, but I think Halo 5 suffered to get there. I think it would have been better for
Osiris to start the game, for there to be a mission with them perhaps in the middle, and then they could cap off the game rescuing Blue Team from the Cryptum. I don't think Chief would have felt forced if we played as him for the majority -- I feel like Osiris should have been ordered to go after Chief aggressively based on what ONI set up through HtT, and we should have played Osiris some to get that feeling of going after Chief, but Halo 5 should have been Chief's perspective on the Hunt the Truth situation. It could have been interesting if Osiris was kept out of the loop regarding Cortana as well, but as Chief we knew about her. Granted, Halo 6 may end up being the greatest Halo story told yet, but I wanted to play a great Halo story now and I'm not so sure I did (narratively anyway).

I think I would have preferred
a story more in line with all the HtT material too. Have the first part of the game Chief finding Cortana, tracking her down and then going AWOL to help her awaken the guardians because she convinces him it's important and the right thing to do yadayada. Over the course of the game you get tracked down by Osiris, partway through you realise Cortana isn't quite who you used to know and what you're doing is bad. Follow through to the end with the Cryptum and all that jazz.

I think I need to an easy mode campaign run sometime in the future. While I didn't rush my first play through as such, I think being excited and wanting to try and finish it in one sitting may have made me not quite take everything in and absorb it all.

Trup1aya

Oh its more than fitting imo.

I think they have been hinting at it since the day Halo 4 dropped. Halo 4 wasn't about simply continuing the story, it was about taking Halo and turning it into something more than just a simple video game series. It was about them realizing that the world of Halo is valuable, from toys and boardgames to cartoons and comics.

And then they realized, (something I would assume Bungie did after 3 and decided to move to Destiny) before any of us would admit it, that it only has one serious flaw stopping it from become a juggernaut of media on the level of Star Wars or Game of Thrones.

A high dependancy on just two characters:

The Chief and Cortana.

But, I know...Your saying something along the lines of "Well they didn't have to bring the Chief back. Look at Reach for example, a Halo without chief that did absolutely fine".

Yeah, but we both know the second 343 made a game taking place during the present, people would be begging for the Chief due to the nature of 3's ending.

So they plan a series of games to remove this issue stopping the franchise from reaching the next level.

And that issue is gonna get solved in 6 imo.

That intention is all fine an dandy, but they fall well short of that goal if they fail to create characters that people like.

Since, 343i took over we've got Didact, Thorne, Palmer, Locke, Vale, Tanaka, and Roland. No one gives a shit about any of them, because their characters were not built up within the games...

In fact, Buck, a carry over from Bungie's reign is the only interesting character to come out of 343i's games.

arimanius

I just can't play with the controller stick drift. Tried everything to fix it. So going to have to replace the controller. :(

So to stick it to MS I bought Star Wars Battlefront on The PS. So there!

I already miss Halo. I'll have to replace it before BTB drop

Zeta Oni

That intention is all fine an dandy, but they fall well short of that goal if they fail to create characters that people like.

Since, 343i took over we've got Didact, Thorne, Palmer, Locke, Vale, Tanaka, and Roland. No one gives a shit about any of them, because their characters were not built up within the games...

In fact, Buck, a carry over from Bungie's reign is the only interesting character to come out of 343i's games.

Personally

I really like Tanaka. I have several people irl who she reminds me of.

I like all of blue team, the chief is the only one I'm referring too. Fred is right there to take charge (like Last Light for example) in case what I'm guessing is true.

Buck is dope.

I'm ehhh with Locke and Vale. Right now, they needed some more depth besides "follow orders guy" and "speak alien girl". Yeah I know there was the stuff with Vales family towards the end but I didn't really care about that because I wasn't interested in her character. Edit: Locke was just.....well, locke

Palmer....I'm ok with. There's kinks but I don't have the issue many do, although recently I've come to understand some good reasons why others people might not like her.

Lasky is cool.

Idk. I don't think they have failed per say, I just think the rushed nature of Halo 5 campaign doesn't give them enough development. Which is a fault I agree with.

Trup1aya

Personally

I really like Tanaka. I have several people irl who she reminds me of.

I like all of blue team, the chief is the only one I'm referring too. Fred is right there to take charge (like Last Light for example) in case what I'm guessing is true.

Buck is dope.

I'm eh with Locke and Vale. They needed some more depth besides follow orders guy and speak alien girl. I ,Ean yeah I know there was the stuff with Vales family towards the end but I didn't really care about that because I wasn't interested in her character.

Palmer....I'm ok with. There's kinks but I don't have the issue many do, although recently I've come to understand some good reasons why others people might not like her.

Lasky is cool.

Idk. I don't think they have failed per say, I just think the rushed nature of Halo 5 campaign doesn't give them enough development. Which is a fault I agree with.

I don't feel like I know enough about any of these characters to feel any way about them. I can't even dislike them, because I don't know them.

I like Blue Team, but only because I know the books... The game gave us nothing on them.

At this point, they are all just names, not characters.

Edit: look at ODST and Reach. THAT'S how you get people to care about new characters... And they succeeded without needed extended media to flesh them out.

Madness

There's no question, in my opinion, some of the campaign was changed last minute. Think about episode 7 and then all the time that has elapsed until the end of episode 13. I truly think those episodes were in order. And that the E3 campaign sort of hinted at it. Chief was in Sunaion, it's why Arbiter knew he was hunting him, Locke got Osiris Team to use the Artemis to scan his fallen AR etc. Who knows.

It definitely didn't work for me.

I don't hate them or feel negative about Osiris like I did Palmer after Halo 4, but I'm not gonna buy the game if they're the stars again. I'm not buying Vale's book, or Tanaka toys etc. I don't even care about Buck as much. Jameson Locke is basically just a Chief, but not Chief character we have no attachment to. The fact they used nothing from Nightfall for his character... I personally loved Cortana insulting the hell out of every single one of them and if push comes to shove, I'd probably save Cortana over all of them. Even Blue Team a waste. Campaign was fun to play (aside from the overuse of Wardens, but the story and characters just junk).

Zeta Oni

I don't feel like I know enough about any of these characters to feel any way about them. I can't even dislike them, because I don't know them.

I like Blue Team, but only because I know the books... The game gave us nothing on them.

At this point, they are all just names, not characters.

I think the game did plenty in illustrating the bond of Blue team in the short time we had. That may be old news for people who read the books, but those who only play the games will undoubtedly know that Blue team will ride with chief to hell and back.

As for fleshing out the characters, theres quite a lot they talk about depending on what you do in the campaign. Certainly enough to get a general sense of who they are, and what they are willing to stand for. Still, its not really the fault of the player for not hearing those conversations though, especially when most people are the one and done type when it comes to campaign.

Trup1aya

I think the game did plenty in illustrating the bond of Blue team in the short time we had. That may be old news for people who read the books, but those who only play the games will undoubtedly know that Blue team will ride with chief to hell and back.

As for fleshing out the characters, theres quite a lot they talk about depending on what you do in the campaign. Certainly enough to get a general sense of who they are, and what they are willing to stand for. Still, its not really the fault of the player for not hearing those conversations though, especially when most people are the one and done type when it comes to campaign.

I think it's true that the game overtly stated that the members of blue team have a bond, forged throught they're years growing up as child solider. But there is a difference between showing and telling...

Also they did nothing to differentiate the characters. What makes Linda special? Kelly? If you don't know the lore, you don't know.

Game did a lot of info dumping instead of letting us witness things organically.

Well done 343i
I do that in almost every shooter I play now. I'll always try to thrust and clamber. I did it in destiny when trying the hard mode raid, and during the Halo 5 beta I played a Halo CE custom game and tried to thrust away from a grenade. That's how natural it feels.

Madness

I don't think I've yet to dash once in Halo 5 due to it being tough on Recon to press in the crouch while sprinting. I basically just use sprint sparingly since it's on X, thrust I've gotten to use more liberally, and spartan charge. Ground Pound non existent for me as a Recon user.

A pretty simple campaign mode they could add would be to make it truly single player and cut out the AI squad. Also could make the whole thing character selectable including your modified Spartan.

I don't think I've yet to dash once in Halo 5 due to it being tough on Recon to press in the crouch while sprinting. I basically just use sprint sparingly since it's on X, thrust I've gotten to use more liberally, and spartan charge. Ground Pound non existent for me as a Recon user.

WAT

I use dash all the time on Recon

I barely ground pound though

Madness

WAT

I use dash all the time on Recon

I barely ground pound though

Maybe I'm just too old/slow with the reflexes. It's just awkward to be in a firefight, sprint, and then crouch while sprinting. Maybe I should turn toggle crouch on or something? It's much easier for default users, I think they just have to press B.

I think with the Elite controller, when it's in Stock and I get it, I could map thrust, crouch, and all this stuff to paddles so it's much essier

Zeta Oni

Getting some terrible lag right now, had to hop off. Gives me time for some gifs.

Got a decent sniper 4-piece today:

LikableMessyDairycow.gif

Also got a new assassination:

CandidMadeupAnemone.gif

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND!

I'm pissed tonight. Not even having fun. I'm gonna shelve it for a while, I think. I got 21 - TWENTY ONE - stronghold captures. And we lost. 100 to like 60 something. How? Just... Ugh.

I mean, every single person seemed to want to do everything but the objective.

I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND!

I'm pissed tonight. Not even having fun. I'm gonna shelve it for a while, I think. I got 21 - TWENTY ONE - stronghold captures. And we lost. 100 to like 60 something. How? Just... Ugh.

I've had that problem. Had a Stronghold game last night where we had all 3 points and we're 50-0 and, for some inexplicable reason, someone on my team quit. The other two decided to shit the bed. Other team came back and won big time.

Almost chucked my controller at the wall.

Also got randomly kicked out of one today because my "Fireteam changed"? Even though I was playing solo. Wasted my rare XP card too.

Strider

I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND!

See I have the opposite experience. Most of the stronghold games I lose its because we have 2 control points but I'll have 1-2 players run across the map to attempt to cap the 3rd... Only to be left outnumbered trying to defend what we have.

Lots of caps are great but you are probably just too focused on offense and not enough on defending what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom