• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
I professed my love for Ranger yesterday but I just got it today and I'm not feeling it as much. It's my first Ultra Rare helmet so I like it for that reason, but what I really want is the Venator helm, or the Wetwork helm, or maybe even the Gungnir helm if luck smiles upon me. Venator would be especially cool because I have had the Venator body for weeks and if I could get the helmet to complete the set, my guy would look awesome... Hopefully BTB matches give at least 1,000 RP per match so I can get some Gold packs while I'm playing the crap out of it once the update drops.

Playing Lock Out in H5 and Trials of Osiris in Destiny is making me better at multiplayer in general. I've always been solid but I'm noticing serious differences in the last 2 weeks or so.

The real question is what Halo game will we get in 2017. Maybe a RPG?

Isn't that the 10 year H3 anniversary. Of course that game would feel odd now the way the narrative is. I don't want to wait 3 years for a proper numbered Halo game though.

Plus
I dont see how MS has branded everything Cortana and she is going to be the sole villain in the Halo universe. Thats pretty shitty marketing. I think she is either being controlled or a duplicate. Maybe 2 of her survived. One went bad, the other is somewhere else.

Played for a couple hours with this elite controller. Feels so good. After a learning period I was mopping up in team arena.

I had multiple 20+ kill games and a buttload of perfect kills. Feels good.

Obscured

There are actually a lot of the helmets and armor that I really like. I'm actually having trouble settling on one and I still have a ton to unlock.

Just finished watching the new Sprint episodes. Makes me feel like people shouldn't be so quick to write off forge maps this time around. Hope for additional traditional dev maps, but forge is looking really good.

Edit: I said it before, but can't wait to play as Cortana in Halo 6, now that she has armor.

I finally got Vanilla Warthog certification from a bronze pack. Probably could have gotten it sooner if I didn't exclusively buy gold packs for the first week.

Other then the rare case of getting the boot from severs, I'm having a blast with this game. Can't stop playing! More maps now!

MaGlock

So I saw in that sprint episode and I've seen a streamer with one(his was purple like the champion logo instead of blue) but where can I buy the hat with blue teams insignia on it? Google yields nothing!!! Halp

I would like to get through this campaign but I keep having audio bugs. The character dialog isn't playing.

It's so annoying this is the second time.

The first time I had to go back two missions and it worked there. So I replayed those two levels and got to mission 8. Now it's happened again and I don't feel like going back and replaying stuff just to get the audio to work.

Whyyyyy

Nowise10

How do you guys have your Elite Controller setup?

Trying to find the sweet spot between BJ and Default

I just have the default layout for the controller, but have this for my paddles:

Top Left - Jump
Bottom left - Sprint
Top right - Crouch
Bottom right - Thruster

With that, I get all my core movement options their at my fingertips, and it helps a lot and feels amazing.

Sai

I think with the Elite controller, when it's in Stock and I get it, I could map thrust, crouch, and all this stuff to paddles so it's much essier
It's what I had to do(well, map the face buttons to the paddles with the default control scheme). My reflexes ain't what they used to be either.

Also switched around the analog stick buttons, 'cause I just couldn't accept having crouch(and zoom, or at least part of it) switched around.

BraXzy

So I saw in that sprint episode and I've seen a streamer with one(his was purple like the champion logo instead of blue) but where can I buy the hat with blue teams insignia on it? Google yields nothing!!! Halp

Can you screencap it so I can see?

But that's the thing, it probably has little to do with people feeling like there's been "too much chief".

It's more about the fact that the Chiefs iconic voice is done by Steve Downes.

Steve Downes is what? 54 or 55 now? and he just retired from his normal job as a radio host back in March. We can't expect him to voice the Chief for the rest of his life. We also really cant expect them to replace such an iconic voice and not experience a backlash. I legitimately believe (especially since the last sprint episode) that Halo 6 is it
(for the chief)
. And it's the best oppertunity since 3 to do it the "right" way.
I don't think a single Halo fan would be angry if Steve Downes retired, or heaven forbid passed away, and 343 found someone with a similar voice to replace him. Master Chief is now a iconic character, and the character is more iconic than the voice.

I would completely lose my interest in Halo if 343 wrote off the Master Chief. Chief is Halo to me, and always will be.

Breh you were bouncing all over the place with your sniper. Too bad my team sucked otherwise that game would have been a bit more fun.

You were in the game on the other team? Good thing there was lag or i would have been owned. :p

But yeah.. Tried to snipe. Maybe got like a few kills before someone clambered in front of me and killed me softly. So sooft with his word. Killing meee... Sofffttyyyyyyy. With his wooooord..

Madness

I don't think a single Halo fan would be angry if Steve Downes retired, or heaven forbid passed away, and 343 found someone with a similar voice to replace him. Master Chief is now a iconic character, and the character is more iconic than the voice.

I would completely lose my interest in Halo if 343 wrote off the Master Chief. Chief is Halo to me, and always will be.

What a morbid thought. As we can see with Ike Amadi, it's easy to get professional voice actors to mimic voices, but Steve Downes is the Master Chief. If the above scenario happens, just retire the character.

You know me. How much I love Chief and always want to play as him. But I'd rather play as someone else, than a non-Steve Downes Master Chief. It's just not the same, so why the affinity?

Besides, the Mark V, Mark VI is gone. As is the green color. Everything about old Halo is gone. Might as well go full speed ahead with what they want. The recruit spartan-IV look is the future. I mean if changing his armor doesn't effect people, changing his voice wouldn't either. But why even have that 'husk' of Master Chief anymore?

No to killing off the chief.

Like above said. Halo is master chief.

The only reason why reach worked is because it was riding on the coat tail success of 3. Anything bungie threw out would be gobbled up. And still is because their damn geniuses.

Plus it looked pretty and all the fans of the book were so excited to see it become a game. Usually i hear people say the best book of the series might be fall of reach. Or atleast the top 3 of all halo lit.

When chief dies. The halo franchise dies. That's my 2 cents.

Thats like saying mario will die and some new young character will replace him.
Not gonna work.

The only next game i see working without chief and has a narrative would be a mmo type where youre a new recruit wanting to become a spartan. Starting the game looking up to a statue of the chief. The plaque says
ALL GLORY TO FRANKIE

Mario doesn't have a linear narrative.

343 can absolutely retire the Master Chief. The problem is they have yet to introduce characters worthy of permanently taking his place, and I don't feel as though they have earned the right to do it based on how they have handled Master Chief's story thus far.

Jen Taylor is irreplaceable too. In as much as I dislike where Cortana went this game, it never feels the same without her. I got chills from her first words on Genesis, as she was sorely missing from the beginning of the game. (Halo 3 felt the same, but Johnson and Arbiter were there.)

If Palmer was written more strongly, I would have been fine with her taking the mantle. I'm probably the only Spartan Assault fanboy on GAF - the visuals and soundtrack from that game established a unique thematic aura around her that I'd really appreciate were it not for the sour taste those hard boiled eggheads left in my mouth.

Madness

Holy F U C K, I hate Breakout.

What's the reason? I actually like some of the tense moments. I hate the 3v1 moments and you're shitting it because one wrong move and it's over.

What I don't like is the stupid jump in at the start. Such a time waste. I think the revive mechanic should be in effect as well. Additionally, they should have a reverse motion tracker in effect. I hate people who turtle. I played a lot of Breakout yesterday, still think it should be moved from Team Arena, but it's a nice addition to the Halo mode lore no?

Madness

implying anyone is playing this game solo

queud into two Slayer matches the other day. both games were me and randoms against full teams. both games two of my teammates quit after we were down more than 6 kills.

never again.

Last night, I literally did like 40+ matches solo queuing to do placements on zero sleep. Who knows how many parties but I did have a few quitters ruin it for me. Wasn't so bad. I'll probably solo queue from here on out. My cousin and real friends have moved onto CoD and Battlefront or gone back to Destiny. Don't see them coming back.

Earlier today I got absolutely destroyed by Ghostayame in a FFA game

qhQjr7B.jpg

I don't think I killed him once. Felt bad man.

I did land a pretty mean/lucky ninja on some random a couple of games later though so that felt good! :D

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/FATstronaut/video/12789763

BraXzy

implying anyone is playing this game solo

queud into two Slayer matches the other day. both games were me and randoms against full teams. both games two of my teammates quit after we were down more than 6 kills.

never again.

I'd say 75% of my games have been solo :'(

Madness

All these solo players in here.... Spartan companies my arse!

They ended up being nothing more than a little blip under your emblem. I added some people who are really nice and helpful at times. I thought H5 and the rejuvenated HaloGAF spartan company would rejuvenate the community here, but just doesn't seem like it.

Would've been better if all your Spartan Company was viewable in game, could join at any time, other features etc.

They ended up being nothing more than a little blip under your emblem. I added some people who are really nice and helpful at times. I thought H5 and the rejuvenated HaloGAF spartan company would rejuvenate the community here, but just doesn't seem like it.

Would've been better if all your Spartan Company was viewable in game, could join at any time, other features etc.

Yeah were pretty dead quiet over at team frankie. However i did get a lot of friend requests. Maybe soon. When btb comes. Ill jump in with them.

Ramirez

What's the reason? I actually like some of the tense moments. I hate the 3v1 moments and you're shitting it because one wrong move and it's over.

What I don't like is the stupid jump in at the start. Such a time waste. I think the revive mechanic should be in effect as well. Additionally, they should have a reverse motion tracker in effect. I hate people who turtle. I played a lot of Breakout yesterday, still think it should be moved from Team Arena, but it's a nice addition to the Halo mode lore no?

It's not Halo to me.

get a group of coordinated teammates and it turns into the best mode

I mean if you hate normal Halo gameplay, sure?

Madness

It's not Halo to me.

I mean if you hate normal Halo gameplay, sure?

Neither is ADS :) :) :) :) :) (I'm kidding here).

Haha, I get what you're saying. I tend to think of it like what SWAT/Grifball are. I don't consider it like Ricochet because the properties of the game are the same, but the objective is just different.

Breakout just needs to be removed from Team Arena and kept in its own Playlist. I know some people who like Gears or are more twitch based shooter players like it. My only REAL issue playing it so much is the scoreboard and the jump in. Just too long. Round over, quickly start it again. Otherwise it's just a chore when games go like 7-8 rounds.

Ramirez

The game doesn't have ADS tho.

I'm fine with Breakout existing, but don't force me to play niche gametypes in the core Halo playlist.

CeeSaw

Man just completed the campaign with a buddy and I gotta say I am disappointed with it. My buddy who has beaten every Halo with me was baffled at the story and I also have my questions about it. A lot of stuff seemed to come from left field and we both found ourselves having to try and recap every couple missions to keep up. I loved the gameplay but I am kind of longing for a simpler Halo campaign. Not sure if it is the Prometheans that turn me off or the expanded cast, I just have a hard time connecting with the characters. Maybe it is on me for not being more into the EU, but I was hoping for more.

P.S.
Legendary Ending Scene was doo doo

jfoul

But that's the thing, it probably has little to do with people feeling like there's been "too much chief".

It's more about the fact that the Chiefs iconic voice is done by Steve Downes.

Steve Downes is what? 54 or 55 now? and he just retired from his normal job as a radio host back in March. We can't expect him to voice the Chief for the rest of his life. We also really cant expect them to replace such an iconic voice and not experience a backlash. I legitimately believe (especially since the last sprint episode) that Halo 6 is it
(for the chief)
. And it's the best oppertunity since 3 to do it the "right" way.

I think if Chief is ever retired, 343i should replace John with a female spartan lead.

Velcoro

Neither is ADS :) :) :) :) :) (I'm kidding here).

Haha, I get what you're saying. I tend to think of it like what SWAT/Grifball are. I don't consider it like Ricochet because the properties of the game are the same, but the objective is just different.

Breakout just needs to be removed from Team Arena and kept in its own Playlist. I know some people who like Gears or are more twitch based shooter players like it. My only REAL issue playing it so much is the scoreboard and the jump in. Just too long. Round over, quickly start it again. Otherwise it's just a chore when games go like 7-8 rounds.

I love Breakout. This game just needs more maps, more playlists. Definitely feels like it fell short in the slightest but it's a game I'll still continue to play till the next Halo. h0lmb0m's review really nailed it.

CeeSaw

I'm not worried about Chief as his voice isn't that difficult to emulate. Jeff Steitzer sounds a bit like Chief even... but I guess he's old too.

Who the fuck is going to replace Keith David though?
Am I the only one who thought the Arbiter sounded a lot different? I could have sworn it was a new voice actor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom