• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

You're not alone. Don't know who greenlighted Osiris Team being the focus, but what a mistake. We're supposed to care about a bunch of randoms that you cannot even properly introduce. Even Blue Team, I only cared about because of Chief. Whatever, maybe they can sell more toys, novels, and comics to the miniscule lore buyers, as opposed to the game buyers. I mean this time, they made a decent and fun campaign with a variety of levels, but a story that got even more criticism than Halo 4. The primary consumers and drivers of the Halo series and universe will always be the game players, the ever shrinking game players.

Madness

I think if Chief is ever retired, 343i should replace John with a female spartan lead.

They've already started. I picked up on it. Halsey, Palmer,
that female Elite who actually gets more lines of dialogue than even Arbiter did this game, Exhuberant Witness is a female monitor, two members of Fireteam Osiris are women, and the villain Cortana is a woman
. If Palmer wasn't so hated and a bust in Halo 4, that's definitely what they were going for by making her the next main lead character, she's now Commander of all Spartan-IV's on Infinity.

I love Breakout. This game just needs more maps, more playlists. Definitely feels like it fell short in the slightest but it's a game I'll still continue to play till the next Halo. h0lmb0m's review really nailed it.

I'm okay with it too. It'll stick around, I just don't want it in team Arena. The only objective Halo Playlist. I probably play more Breakout in team Arena than ctf or strongholds.

implying anyone is playing this game solo

queud into two Slayer matches the other day. both games were me and randoms against full teams. both games two of my teammates quit after we were down more than 6 kills.

never again.

yep that's always been a problem with every installment, though it could be remedied with JIP but you know how everyone doesn't want it :p

I mean if you hate normal Halo gameplay, sure?

Whoa then I guess I hate Swat, team snipers/s

Nutter

Can all you solo players come play with me and Ram.. we are pretty much tired of randoms. You pretty much need a team at onyx, its a bit hard to coordinate a over-shield grab or power weapon grab with just 2 people. I also just had my bad night of Halo today. The aiming felt very off tonight to the point that I kept going between 5 and 4 on the sensitivity scale and did not like either. Usually I get used to it and aim just fine, but tonight the game was having none of it.

rrc1594

Can all you solo players come play with me and Ram.. we are pretty much tired of randoms. You pretty much need a team at onyx, its a bit hard to coordinate a over-shield grab or power weapon grab with just 2 people. I also just had my bad night of Halo today. The aiming felt very off tonight to the point that I kept going between 5 and 4 on the sensitivity scale and did not like either. Usually I get used to it and aim just fine, but tonight the game was having none of it.[/QUOTE]

Me 2 I kept switching between 5&6 it was driving me nuts. I kept hitting just below the head

Madness

Can all you solo players come play with me and Ram.. we are pretty much tired of randoms. You pretty much need a team at onyx, its a bit hard to coordinate a over-shield grab or power weapon grab with just 2 people. I also just had my bad night of Halo today. The aiming felt very off tonight to the point that I kept going between 5 and 4 on the sensitivity scale and did not like either. Usually I get used to it and aim just fine, but tonight the game was having none of it.

I think you guys are too good for me. I'm really terrible at callouts/mic play right now. I can't explain it, but it's like I've become a singular player hard to multi-task. Before I could do a million things but now, it's tough. Like I'm finding it hard to 4sk or 5sk, pay attention to what the other team has, where they are, power weapon and power up times and also like read quickly what the callouts for the map are. Plus, I'm only really Platinum in everything. Maybe if I can reach Diamond solo queuing, I'd want to play with Onyx level or higher.

I can't call out in this game worth a damn. Blame it on nothing standing out and literally everything having the same texture, the same layout, and everything being so symmetrical.

Like, Lower Blue and Lower Blue 2? What the heck.

I can't call out in this game worth a damn. Blame it on nothing standing out and literally everything having the same texture, the same layout, and everything being so symmetrical.

It's a big difference for me too, going from knowing where someone will spawn to knowing when and where they will be running to just sort of not knowing any of that.

I can call out watch gold 2 jump from blue to... um he is bottom mid? for halo 5

Madness

Same. All I can basically say in this game is top middle, bottom middle, he's off to the sides, he's near plasma caster spawn etc. Like for Regret, all I could really say is fuel rod spawn, top mid, bottom overshield. And even then, I'm too slow and it just doesn't occur to me quick enough, even more because only 1 other person has a mic or I don't even know if they have a mic so I don't even care.

From what I could feel in past halo games there were at least 50 percent or more in certain games had mics nightly.

For most other mp games today it seems maybe one guy is talking every 10 games or so. So 9 games without a word said, an I am often fighting for power weapons alone.

i can't imagine why I am on the team that doesn't try for them 90 percent of the time.

Still need one?

The tag is SomeOneInaHat

Kalentan

Man just completed the campaign with a buddy and I gotta say I am disappointed with it. My buddy who has beaten every Halo with me was baffled at the story and I also have my questions about it. A lot of stuff seemed to come from left field and we both found ourselves having to try and recap every couple missions to keep up. I loved the gameplay but I am kind of longing for a simpler Halo campaign. Not sure if it is the Prometheans that turn me off or the expanded cast, I just have a hard time connecting with the characters. Maybe it is on me for not being more into the EU, but I was hoping for more.

P.S.
Legendary Ending Scene was doo doo

You know I can understand complaints that the story isn't told the best way...

But I'm constantly baffled at people who couldn't follow it. This has had one of the most simplest and easiest to follow Halo stories thus far.

that female Elite who actually gets more lines of dialogue than even Arbiter did this game, Exhuberant Witness is a female monitor, two members of Fireteam Osiris are women, and the villain Cortana is a woman
. If Palmer wasn't so hated and a bust in Halo 4, that's definitely what they were going for by making her the next main lead character, she's now Commander of all Spartan-IV's on Infinity.

I'm okay with it too. It'll stick around, I just don't want it in team Arena. The only objective Halo Playlist. I probably play more Breakout in team Arena than ctf or strongholds.
I like Palmer. I even like her in Halo 4. I've never understood the hate. She can call me egghead all night long.

Cranster

Banned
I like Palmer. I even like her in Halo 4. I've never understood the hate. She can call me egghead all night long.
I didn't hate her in Halo 4, but they did a real poor job and she did get annoying from time to time in Spartan ops, especially with her blind hate of Dr. Halsey.

From what I could feel in past halo games there were at least 50 percent or more in certain games had mics nightly.

For most other mp games today it seems maybe one guy is talking every 10 games or so. So 9 games without a word said, an I am often fighting for power weapons alone.

i can't imagine why I am on the team that doesn't try for them 90 percent of the time.

Blame that on the racist, sexist, bigots of the XBL online community..I didn't go a day while on open mic without being called a Nword, because I trashed a whole team, picked up power weapons before teammates, "stole" someones kill, etc...I do miss the babies crying in the background though, I would always ask If it was a girl/boy lol

Leyasu

Banned
London. Maybe I got over confident and that's it, I had some phenomenal games, was very often MVP and saved games. Poor team mates, I am on a 7 game lose streak, one player can tip arena like that

EDIT - Rebooted and now I am doing double kills and 3.0 ratio again. Weird!

Don't bother analysing it, that sounds like a typical case of out of region server.

It is really hard to tell where you are playing on this game if you don't know what you are looking for. Make sure you you watch what happens when you throw your first grenade. If after the animation you instantly see the grenade, then you are on an EU server. If there is a delay between the end of the animation and when you see the grenade, then you are on an American server, and can expect to get fucked.

I didn't hate her in Halo 4, but they did a real poor job and she did get annoying from time to time in Spartan ops, especially with her blind hate of Dr. Halsey.
I didn't like her hate on Halsey either. I'd like to see more Palmer on the battlefield rather than being up in the Infinity most the time. It may get more people to like her...or hate.

Bsigg12

Blame that on the racist, sexist, bigots of the XBL online community..I didn't go a day while on open mic without being called a Nword, because I trashed a whole team, picked up power weapons before teammates, "stole" someones kill, etc...I do miss the babies crying in the background though, I would always ask If it was a girl/boy lol

Had a guy earlier being everyrhing you listed and just proceeded to mute all. Just can't stand hearing that stuff. People blasting music in the background is crazy annoying as well.

Added a few people! I play solo a fair bit and it can be a pretty crap experience with some of the randoms I get

As for call outs - I generally stick with weapon spawns - halo 5 is awful for distinct areas on a map. Halo 3 colour coded it's maps and red/ blue/ gold/ green etc made for simple call outs.

I have no idea what the 343 designated call outs are - but they are terrible

jfoul

Any added in game benefit by signing up for a Spartan Company? I'm seeing NeoGAF, NeoGAF B Team, HaloGAF LAAG ANZ Company and HaloGAF.

I haven't gotten a reply from B-Team. They have a rad T-Rex icon!

jem0208

Added a few people! I play solo a fair bit and it can be a pretty crap experience with some of the randoms I get

As for call outs - I generally stick with weapon spawns - halo 5 is awful for distinct areas on a map. Halo 3 colour coded it's maps and red/ blue/ gold/ green etc made for simple call outs.

I have no idea what the 343 designated call outs are - but they are terrible

Not sure what you're telling about... The maps are colour coded in 5 and the official call outs are actually pretty good.

http://m.imgur.com/a/nDM1l

Not sure what you're telling about... The maps are colour coded in 5 and the official call outs are actually pretty good.

http://m.imgur.com/a/nDM1l

You know - in game I never even noticed that one side had red highlights and one had blue highlights. Is it just me? I think it should be more obvious personally.

Also 'sneaky' isn't the best callout, seeing a picture of it I can see what they mean but in game hearing the Spartans shout sneaky just never made me envisage that spot.

And that's one of the more symmetrical maps

Trup1aya

Just watched some pro level player with 11 friends win 2 Warzone assault (offense) matches in under 3 minutes. One match was barely over 2 minutes. Unreal.

You know - in game I never even noticed that one side had red highlights and one had blue highlights. Is it just me? I think it should be more obvious personally.

Also 'sneaky' isn't the best callout, seeing a picture of it I can see what they mean but in game hearing the Spartans shout sneaky just never made me envisage that spot.

What's wrong with sneaky? Seems like a clear, quick way to describe an inconspicuous entrance...

It's not as in-your-face as Halo 3 was, that's for sure. Would be a lot easier to see with brighter lighting.

Most Halo 5 are more dense than "classic" Halo maps due to the heavy utilisation of vertical space so it will always be difficult to come up with good callouts that are specific enough to be useful without having so many that it gets confusing I think.

So spent a lot of time yesterday evening on the montage - cool little intro being made with some assistance from Fuchsdh (thanks in advance dude!)

I've had so many submissions, and wanted to be as inclusive as possible - to that end, ANYONE who submitted a clip will be in the montage - even if your clip wasn't that good. (Believe me, there were some duds!) ;)

But this is a community montage, not a pro player tage, and I have opted to reflect that in the editing.

However, due to the huge number of submissions, it's a LOT longer than previously thought. I've still got enough clips for 1 more song - so at this point, despite saying I wouldn't accept any more - I will - drop through your very best if you haven't yet submitted either via pm or email to halogafmontage@gmail.com and I'll make it happen.

Aiming to release later this week, time permitting.

:)

I really want a Vale-led title, or just more of her character in general.
It'll be the Metroid that we'll never get from Nintendo lol

343 is setting up a lot of strong female characters for the future. I wouldn't be surprised if Chief's eventual replacement was one of them. Heck, even if Locke was the replacement, that'd be fine. Halo is about more than just Chief, and once he completes his Reclaimer arc, that'll be a good time to bring in a new lead, if that's what they are wanting to do.

I don't think they've chosen this replacement yet or anything... I think they are waiting to see which character fans resonate the most with as we move from Halo 5 to 6.

Palmer was seemingly going to be a playable character until the backlash happened after halo 4. To avoid that happening again they've created a roster of new faces and backgrounds and letting fans grow with them instead of being given just one face and name.

It'll be interesting to see what they do in Halo 6, and beyond.

BokehKing

Banned
You're not alone. Don't know who greenlighted Osiris Team being the focus, but what a mistake. We're supposed to care about a bunch of randoms that you cannot even properly introduce. Even Blue Team, I only cared about because of Chief. Whatever, maybe they can sell more toys, novels, and comics to the miniscule lore buyers, as opposed to the game buyers. I mean this time, they made a decent and fun campaign with a variety of levels, but a story that got even more criticism than Halo 4. The primary consumers and drivers of the Halo series and universe will always be the game players, the ever shrinking game players.
Not sure if sarcasm post
(But if not)

But wanted to share my opinion on blue team. Before the game came out, people where hooping and hollering about them to the point where I broke down and used a free audible token for "fall of reach" novel. Highly recommend even if you only read just one book in the whole entry.

With that said they dropped the ball, after reading that book they survive hell and back together, so to just start the game off on their mission together left me like "wtf?!?! I missed the reunion of how they got back together??" That bothered me a lot.

The animated fall of reach, I guess it could portray the tight nit bond better but it was more or less an abridged version of what goes down. Again, highly recommend the first book.

With that said, that's the one and only book I read, I want to believe there is a lot more people who play the game than read the books , so when they cater to those people more...it sucks.

That AI, in the begining of the game that mouthed off in defense of Cortana...felt like I was supposed to know who that was, probably someone from the comics? Probably made that comic reader be like "oh cool" but made me feel like "what did I miss??"

The only defense I have with so little chief is...it makes those chapters have that much more weight to them, the problem with that though was I found myself counting down how many I had left, and the realization that I would be stuck with Osiris.

As far as females, or a female lead
cortana, after they do whatever they do, maybe kill off chief protecting her, fix her, put her in some cyborg body and make her a spartan.....I know crazy but great voice actor and don't want her to leave the series

Even crazier, and hunt the truth season 2 spoilery
screw it, make 117 Cortanas AI after he perishes

Ramirez

Whoa then I guess I hate Swat, team snipers/s

If they were in Team Arena, I would loathe them just as much. Shit like that needs to be in its own list, when I want to play Arena Halo, I don't want to worry about fringe gametypes. I want Slayer and Objective with normal shields and weapon spawns.

And now I'm reading the game is too hard to call out? Wut? Every map has very distinctive areas that are easy to call out, especially coming off of 4, which didn't even bother color coding stuff.

Montresor

devilsadvocat, the AI that mouthed off in defense of Cortana is Roland. He's from Spartan Ops cutscenes which I believe came with Halo 4 on 360. They come with Halo 4 on MCC.

Personally I love Osiris + Blue Team.

General point: Osiris is not a bunch of nobodies: Buck is a main character from ODST. The others are new, sure, but I liked them either way. And with Blue Team, it was not difficult to glean that this was a tight-knit group that are like family to each other. I'm pretty sure Palmer or someone from Osiris even says this in a damn cutscene after the first Blue Team mission.

Personally it feels like people need everything spelled out. What's wrong with piecing together the mysteries yourself?

Halo 1 had 343 Guilty Spark use the word Reclaimer two or three times. Very intriguing and mysterious. It wasn't until Halo 2 that I finally understood its meaning. I don't see an issue with that at all.

Osiris > Blue Team

I liked seeing Blue Team (and playing as Chief) obviously, but Osiris was a great addition to the franchise and carried the bulk of the game really well.

Nice clips. One thing though, try and make sure your shields start recharging before sprinting off. The 15 second was cool but you want to heal up wherever possible :p

That was a crazy game and in the extended clip I had many close calls. The idea was to get as far away from the action as possible and regroup. Lucky for me, the guy who shot me had made his way to that side of the map also!

Trup1aya

devilsadvocat, the AI that mouthed off in defense of Cortana is Roland. He's from Spartan Ops cutscenes which I believe came with Halo 4 on 360. They come with Halo 4 on MCC.

Personally I love Osiris + Blue Team.

General point: Osiris is not a bunch of nobodies: Buck is a main character from ODST. The others are new, sure, but I liked them either way. And with Blue Team, it was not difficult to glean that this was a tight-knit group that are like family to each other. I'm pretty sure Palmer or someone from Osiris even says this in a damn cutscene after the first Blue Team mission.

Personally it feels like people need everything spelled out. What's wrong with piecing together the mysteries yourself?

Halo 1 had 343 Guilty Spark use the word Reclaimer two or three times. Very intriguing and mysterious. It wasn't until Halo 2 that I finally understood its meaning. I don't see an issue with that at all.

It's not that people want everything spelled out for them, but it's hard to care about characters when the game does absolutely no character building.

I really wish they had gone the Mass Effect 2 route and given each character a chance to shine and show what makes them unique, what makes them important.

Instead they are just empty bodies to give context to the appearance of co-op partners. They might as well have been clone Spartans like in the previous games.

That said, I had a blast playing the campaign, and it was probably the easiest halo to follow...

You know I can understand complaints that the story isn't told the best way...

But I'm constantly baffled at people who couldn't follow it. This has had one of the most simplest and easiest to follow Halo stories thus far.

Very true, knew everyone's motives and character backgrounds in one sitting. Can't wait for Legendary playthrough. #Sanghilios is ours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom