• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caayn

Any chance that the update this week will fix the connection issues?

Not being able to complete matches due to being kicked is extremely annoying. Not touching multiplayer again untill that's fixed.

Pachimari

On the ring.
Thanks!

IF you follow the vista.. you can see it go into the ring. all around you. you're this little spec on this halo ring.

*Que monk chant

Also i cant wait for you to see what's next >=D .. assuming you have no idea what Halo is about :p
I actually completed the original game on Xbox when I were a kid, but I remember absolutely nothing from it.

New halo fan? Prepare to be amazed and overwhelmed by me and poodles knowledge of the lore.
I wouldn't call myself a fan but I can't wait to explore the lore and story. Hopefully it's great and worth it!

RIP OG GOAT horizon

KzlXQ8C.png
I like the vista on the left the most.

Thats one of the best scify aspect of the game, the fact that everything happens on a artificial planet, and looking at the sky and looking at the ring going up to the horizon, is just a nice scenery.

Thats what im talking about.
Sounds cool yeah. I'm gonna pay attention to my surroundings.

Thanks!

I actually completed the original game on Xbox when I were a kid, but I remember absolutely nothing from it.

I wouldn't call myself a fan but I can't wait to explore the lore and story. Hopefully it's great and worth it!

I like the vista on the left the most.

Sounds cool yeah. I'm gonna pay attention to my surroundings.

Totally understandable. Well, seems like you're paying a lot of attention to detail now. sweet. When you beat 1-4, take a listen to the Hunt The Truth audio podcast. probably to soon to even mention it

Depends on which issue he's referring too. The slow turn bug fix is supposed to hit this week is it not? That's the one I'm waiting for.

Yeah you're right. It seems there should be two updates. One for the 'pegged' state and another with controller options. I was thinking it was all coming at the same time. my bad!

Halo 5 Aiming & Controllers

Hey everyone – Chris King (Halo 5 - Lead Sandbox Designer) and Scott Sims (Halo 5 – Lead Sandbox Engineer) here. Thank you all for your passionate feedback on Halo 5, the team has been actively following as much as we can and have identified one issue we really wanted to respond to.

First things first, in the grand scheme of things, this is happening to a small number of people. Most folks are having a good experience and the last thing we want to do is inject either placebo effect or confirmation bias into your gameplay feel, so bear that in mind if you’re having no issues, and just enjoy the dry but interesting technical data. But this is good news for those who are suffering.

Aiming is the core of any first person shooter experience, and the way Halo controls is key to making Halo, Halo. Weapon aiming is a complex subject and something that the sandbox team obsesses over every day. There are a huge number of factors that feed into the feel of aiming, be it controller hardware, acceleration curves, turn speeds, player movement speeds, aim assist, or weapon fire rates.

When we started development on Halo 5 we had some very specific goals with regards to aiming. We wanted to provide a best in class 60fps shooter experience, embracing competitive play, with an increased skill gap, while still retaining the essence of Halo.

To preserve that Halo feel we chose not to re-write any of our base control systems, but instead to perform targeted retunes to balance for the higher framerate and myriad of other changes made to our movement and weapon systems.

Throughout the project we have worked hand in hand with the 343 Pro team, Microsoft User Research, and test teams and of course absorbed the awesome feedback from the Halo 5 Beta to tune and validate our control systems to what we believe to be the sweet spot for fine control with fast turn speed across all aiming ranges, on all weapon types.

Players have identified that, by design, the game is a shade “harder” than it used to be, but we are seeing players adjusting to the new speed and precision pretty quickly.

Unfortunately, some players have identified an issue that occurs due to variance in controller hardware, commonly referred to as “slow turn” bug. This can cause players to become unable to, or inconsistently reach what we call a “pegged” state.

The “pegged” state is a region in the outermost range of the analog aim stick in which we blend the players turn speed to a much faster rate. This issue is compounded as the control input fluctuates depending on multiple factors - if you are applying even the slightest bit of downward pressure (clenching), moving the stick around the edges a bit (which is why it’s even more problematic when aiming diagonally), or torqueing the stick on the edge a bit more than normal on some controllers.

The good news is we have a fix for this issue that introduces no perceivable change to the current feel of the game. This change is going through test and pro team validation now and we will have it out to you soon.

One thing that has become clear in absorbing all your feedback is that Halo players want choice when it comes to controls. And with that in mind, we are also working on another little pet project that will allow even more precise tuning. This update will offer more custom fine-tuned control over controller settings (hint: independent vertical/horizontal sensitivities, the ability to calibrate your own dead zones, more granularity in sensitivity, and more). We hope to have that out for you in December and we will follow up with more details later.

Thanks for all the passionate feedback, know that the team is reading as much as we can. See you on the battlefield.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Can't believe I'm more excited to get pissed off at Halo tonight than I am to buy Battlefront.

/showerthoughts

utpijKyl.jpg

I was trying to figure out if it would be possible to make a open world Halo game without going insane with production costs but simultaneously getting the scope and scale across.

This image shows what a 2km across by 180km around ring would be like (which is way smaller than what a Halo Ring is supposed to be).

This creates 360sq km of space. That is about 4x GTA V but 1/3rd Just Cause 3.

Seeing as though most of it is terrain it probably would be somewhat straightforward to do. If the ring was 180 segments around, the artists would take a 2km X 2km section of the world and build that out at a time knowing that the next section their buddy is working on switches by 2 degrees on them. There would also be some pretty sizable pieces of ocean to make the whole task a little easier.

The big technical challenge would be to maintain a ground plane by making the ring move around you instead of you around it. Draw distance and clever LOD systems would be the other challenge, but probably not that difficult to overcome.

You can sort of see how big a person would be if you notice the red pixels against the sky just on that hill side to the left.

BraXzy

I just want to say, and it's probably not said enough... Thank you 343 for creating a really fun game for us fans and for continuing to take on the challenge that is maintaining this massive universe.

The Halo itch is back for me, and it's gladly welcomed. (Besides the fact there's a fair few single player games I want to play and it is making me want to dong peeps instead :3)

I just want to say, and it's probably not said enough... Thank you 343 for creating a really fun game for us fans and for continuing to take on the challenge that is maintaining this massive universe.

The Halo itch is back for me, and it's gladly welcomed. (Besides the fact there's a fair few single player games I want to play and it is making me want to dong peeps instead :3)
All of this.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So, I have hit that weird binary line again, where I get matched against insanely good people. Went from a steady 1-2KD to a consistent 0.5KD. And it's not even overnight, but during the same session. Now I'm set against players who do scores like 26/4 in Slayer. Suddenly enemies come out of nowhere, I lose every duel, I never get the weapons.

It's funny, I have hit the same thing in every Halo, and it always results in me dumping the game and moving on. Has anyone any explanation for the phenomena?

So, I have hit that weird binary line again, where I get matched against insanely good people. Went from a steady 1-2KD to a consistent 0.5KD. And it's not even overnight, but during the same session. Now I'm set against players who do scores like 26/4 in Slayer. Suddenly enemies come out of nowhere, I lose every duel, I never get the weapons.

It's funny, I have hit the same thing in every Halo, and it always results in me dumping the game and moving on. Has anyone any explanation for the phenomena?

Do you play with people in your fireteam?

RobNBanks

Banned
i dont even know how i have wins in warzone

i dont think my team has ever gotten a legendary boss kill. im surprised if a teammate even shows up in the area

BraXzy

Nah just alone in Arena matchmaking.

It's such a bizarre phenomena, I wonder whether it is the skill ranking kicking in, or some crazy lag in what I see on my screen suddenly killing me.

Where abouts are you based? It could be a connection issue. Or maybe you're getting tired.

I sometimes get like that and I think it's a combination of getting overconfident after a win or two in a row, getting put against people who are above my level and just having a bad game.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Where abouts are you based? It could be a connection issue. Or maybe you're getting tired.

I sometimes get like that and I think it's a combination of getting overconfident after a win or two in a row, getting put against people who are above my level and just having a bad game.

London. Maybe I got over confident and that's it, I had some phenomenal games, was very often MVP and saved games. Poor team mates, I am on a 7 game lose streak, one player can tip arena like that

EDIT - Rebooted and now I am doing double kills and 3.0 ratio again. Weird!

BraXzy

London. Maybe I got over confident and that's it, I had some phenomenal games, was very often MVP and saved games. Poor team mates, I am on a 7 game lose streak, one player can tip arena like that

I'm in the UK too and sometimes I feel like I'm maybe at a slight disadvantage with connection but without knowing what I'm connecting to/my ping I could be imagining things.

I totally get what you mean though. I think it happens in anything that requires a bit more skill, awareness and concentration than your average game. It sometimes happens to me in Dota 2. One game I won't die and carry my team, the next I'm feeding and feel like its my first time playing. It's possibly as simple as your brain getting tired, when you think about it you've constantly got to be super focused, making sure you land you shots, pay attention to where your team is, assess where the enemy might be, keep one eye on power weapon timers etc etc.

But again, it could simply be an anomaly in the matchmaking. Git gud ;)

what were the questions?

From a quick Google search:

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/3t7byw/did_anyone_else_get_a_survey_about_xbox_live_and/

Someone posted:
I was in the middle of filling it out when for whatever reason it said it was complete and the data has been collected so I can't finish it. Was there anything notable mentioned? I did answer the one about co-op and affecting enjoyment.

Someone else replied with:

they ask about new features and what you want to see from future games. Splitscreen was mentioned several times, as were REQ cards and game mode variety.
A lot of it is satisfaction of current stuff, and the rest was focused on what you'd like to see. They give you a chance to also put in your own suggestions for what you'd like to see.

Any of you who get the survey are morally obliged to push for the following:
Social playlist
Co-op playlist (Warzone Firefight)
Voice Packs
Falcon, Needle Rifle & Grenade Launcher from Reach
Remakes of some of the larger BTB and Invasion Maps from Reach
Unlimited Ammo Skull (save progress doesn't count towards heroic / legendary completion)
A way to earn some stuff without having to rely entirely on RNG

BraXzy

Did they give a file size for this update?!

I doubt we will get a filesize before a solid date. Things might not be set in stone but I'll take a guess at close to 1 GB? It's adding new maps, new Req stuff, probably a bunch of behind the scene tweaks and stuff as well as the BTB mode itself. That number is entirely out of my Spartan behind, though.

Hear hear.

I bitch about parts I don't like but the overall package is stellar and I've had a lot of fun with it. Am still in love with the soundtrack, the campaign on legendary feels so damn right, and Warzone still calls to me, even with its RNG madness. But ultimately it comes down to this: Simply moving and shooting and clambering and boosting in this game is really satisfying. When put in the right environment against the right mix of enemies - players and AI alike - its solid gold.

I'd be playing this a lot more if my buddies had Xboxes though. Where are the cheap Halo 5 bundles? Am I missing the real deals or are they all $500 bundles?

Finally beat the game. Although it started off pretty rocky overall I really enjoyed the last few missions of the game and was satisfied with the ending. Graphics were phenomenal and the music was great. Will definitely attempt to solo it Legendary at some point.

arimanius

Ugh the left stick on my controller has started to drift upwards occasionally. :(

This is MS evil scheme to temp me into buying an elite controller isn't it.

Edit. I lied. It's my right stick. Which is worse. Lol

For the next Halo, I just want [somewhat spoliery]
more Master Chief. Also more levels like that last open area. But mainly more Chief.

Trup1aya

Ugh the left stick on my controller has started to drift upwards occasionally. :(

This is MS evil scheme to temp me into buying an elite controller isn't it.

Edit. I lied. It's my right stick. Which is worse. Lol

One of mine just started doing the same. Coincidence? I think not!

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
For the next Halo, I just want [somewhat spoliery]
more Master Chief. Also more levels like that last open area. But mainly more Chief.

I just want [more somewhat spoilerly spoils]
Only one squad featuring Blue Team with Master Chief leading and also featuring Buck, Arbiter, and Locke as NPCs who are also there fighting alongside you.

BraXzy

I just want [more somewhat spoilerly spoils]
Only one squad featuring Blue Team with Master Chief leading and also featuring Buck, Arbiter, and Locke as NPCs who are also there fighting alongside you.

As much as I appreciated what they attempted with Halo 5. I think
I'd much rather prefer at most just Chief + Blue team for co-op.

Zeta Oni

I'm sure many people would prefer that.

Won't be happening though. The inclusion of Osiris wasn't simply to tell this story, it's to start introducing people who will be picking up things once the Chief is done.

And calling it now:

The Chief is gonna be done by the end of Halo 6. Don't know if that means dead or floating off in space again, but it's happening in 6.

The best solution for Halo 6 is to let us pick our squad. Chief as default, pick 3 from:

-Linda
-Kelly
-Fred
-Arby
-Buck
-Locke
-Vale
-Tanaka
-Palmer
-Storytime grunt

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment

I just want one squad to play as in Halo 6. That squad should be lead by Chief. I just don't want Arby, Buck, and Locke to go away. Actually, it would be cool if Osiris was a squad working alongside with you throughout the campaign but you only played as Blue Team so you only get Blue Team's perspective.

The thing I don't think 343 got quite right with Halo 5 is....

General spoilers for the campaign:

We should have mostly played as Chief with maybe 2 missions as Osiris. Osiris missions should have felt special but instead Blue Team missions felt special and we started the game wanting to play as Chief anyway. 343 needed to make the player want to like Locke and Osiris, but instead Locke and Osiris felt like a barrier to playing as Chief and Blue Team.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I completed the campaign on Heroic, but my service record just shows stats for the two first missions for some reason, and the total time seems to be based on them. I got the achievements however. Is this a known bug?

BraXzy

I'm sure many people would prefer that.

Won't be happening though. The inclusion of Osiris wasn't simply to tell this story, it's to start introducing people who will be picking up things once the Chief is done.

And calling it now:

The Chief is gonna be done by the end of Halo 6. Don't know if that means dead or floating off in space again, but it's happening in 6.

Honestly, I hope they don't.
If you looked at the games on paper, most people would probably think people must be burnt out on this Chief fella. And I'd have assumed that would kind of happen. But really, with Reach and more recently this with Osiris, it feels like we've not had an overdose of Chief anytime recently so I could happily take solo Chief.

The best solution for Halo 6 is to let us pick our squad. Chief as default, pick 3 from:

-Storytime grunt

That could be really cool, if there was sometimes an RPG-esque pre mission hub area where you pick starting gear and your commanding officer tells you to put together a team to go after whatever threat that mission is. Or something along those lines.

It'd be hard to pick which blue team member to drop for storytime grunt though ;)

Mass Halo

Halo Effect

Lmao. In the back of my head I was like, this is super similar to something. Couldn't think of what. Ding ding.

BraXzy

Yeah you would think so, but games like the witcher want to install like 20 gigs every damn patch.

It depends on so much. The game is already set up with the ability to play Forge maps though since two were included at launch so the assets used are probably mainly or partly in the files already. So no idea how big the maps might be. I can't imagine the Req stuff is too big.

We'll see, we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom