• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we get some halo erotica in here pls?

asslands.jpg

No love for the arbitor or FRED?

Fred's got the biggest donk in all of Blue Team, just rewatch the midway-point cutscene on Genesis

E92 M3

Yeah the physics in this game for Spartans and vehicles and explosions are really weird. Someone made a video showing how in all the previous games, when a Warthog hit an explosion, it went flying, and when it exploded, it went flying again, then in Halo 5 the hog doesn't move at all when getting hit by an explosion.

Actually I searched for it and found it so you can watch it too https://youtu.be/cNeJe-eBK_s?t=87

Along with that, like the vehicles in this game are weird. Going off a jump in a warthog or mongoose, you like slowdown and loose your speed, and your vehicles will usually flip.

Yeah, it's actually rather sad. A proper physics engine was one of the most notable things in a Halo game. Miss the craziness.

I think Halo 5 ragdolls are the best in any Halo game. Reach probably has the worst; for some reason they added some shitty canned animations. I remember shooting someone with the shotgun looked identical every time.

I think Halo 5 ragdolls are the best in any Halo game. Reach probably has the worst; for some reason they added some shitty canned animations. I remember shooting someone with the shotgun looked identical every time.

Yeah, I love them. The best is when you get killed while boosting and your body just shoots off in a random direction all ragdolly. Can be pretty hilarious.

I love how if you die from small arms fire mid-run your body continues for a few paces before flopping over.

BraXzy

Just saw/heard a new medal in Activee's stream. Didn't know it existed.

He killed a guy that was about to kill a teammate when the enemy team were on 49 in Slayer, he got the Game Changer medal.

Trup1aya

I think Halo 5 combines canned animations with ragdoll physics in very satisfying ways.

I tried to use YouTube to showcase my claims, but it seems like many people see these animations differently...

When I see someone get sniped from an elevated platform, the transition from canned animation to rag doll appears instantaneously and convincing ... But a search for some supporting videos shows many instances of canned animation ending with the victim hovering in space, only to begin his motionless decent several seconds later. It looks terrible.

I wonder if connection has any effect on how these animations appear to play out.

aravuus

Okay, so the game handles very well. Aiming feels solid as FUCK - I've literally played 2 hours with the Xbone controller before, yet around 70% of my kills are from headshots.

That said, I'm not feeling it. I've only been playing for some hours now, but it feels like it's not gonna be any different 20 hours from now. BTB maps feel like shit and warzone doesn't seem very interesting either.

I'll play slayer for a while and then probably drop the game until they get something like a multi-team playlist out.

e: was planning on getting the console for this game - thank fucking god I didn't lol.

JackHerer

The rag dolls look great to me most of the time. Pretty funny when one of the limbs gets stuck in geometry and the body just dangles from the wall.

I have noticed that rockets barely do anything to vehicles. It's effective against a ghost usually but against everything else it feels like a waste of rockets most of the time.

Madness

Vehicles probably feel the worst for me in this game. Very light, just clipping some small random geometry makes them turn around or lights up the screen.

There's also something off with the ghost splatter. Sometimes, it'll be a full speed hit to an enemy and they'll lose shields but will just get pushed along with you before they jack you. Doesn't feel satisfying.

Thread was closed because it was massively off topic and most of the time had nothing to do with Halo lol.

No it wasn't. It went off topic for barely a page, and that off topic streak started with gifs/discussion of the dudebro poses and what else we would like. No warning, no nothing, was moved to off topic with no warning again, and some others thought it would be off topic in nature now, posted some unsavory gifs and instead got entire community thread closed. Whatever.

Trup1aya

Okay, so the game handles very well. Aiming feels solid as FUCK - I've literally played 2 hours with the Xbone controller before, yet around 70% of my kills are from headshots.

That said, I'm not feeling it. I've only been playing for some hours now, but it feels like it's not gonna be any different 20 hours from now. BTB maps feel like shit and warzone doesn't seem very interesting either.

I'll play slayer for a while and then probably drop the game until they get something like a multi-team playlist out.

e: was planning on getting the console for this game - thank fucking god I didn't lol.

Warzone had to grow on me, but once it clicked I fell in love... BTB maps have a ton of problems, but I think it's a fun experience. Arena is as good as its ever been IMO. Campaign is meh...

Custom Games offer unlimited opportunities for fun if you are into that sort of thing, especially since Forge is out. But yes, the game is hurting for content. I'd never recommend buying a console for any one game, but I wouldn't be surprise if this game is the only game I play heavily for the next 8 months...

I think Halo 5 combines canned animations with ragdoll physics in very satisfying ways.

I tried to use YouTube to showcase my claims, but it seems like many people see these animations differently...

When I see someone get sniped from an elevated platform, the transition from canned animation to rag doll appears instantaneously and convincing ... But a search for some supporting videos shows many instances of canned animation ending with the victim hovering in space, only to begin his motionless decent several seconds later. It looks terrible.

I wonder if connection has any effect on how these animations appear to play out.

I think above all, the animations are optimized such that your spartan (e.g. the one running on your network) looks great, even if other enemy animations (especially clambering) look a little off.

So, weird thing just happened in-game..was playing Big Team Battle on Entombed and when I spawned after dying, the spawn animation was looping endlessly for about 5 seconds then I got kicked out of the match. Not sure what that's all about.

aravuus

Warzone had to grow on me, but once it clicked I fell in love... BTB maps have a ton of problems, but I think it's a fun experience. Arena is as good as its ever been IMO. Campaign is meh...

Custom Games offer unlimited opportunities for fun if you are into that sort of thing, especially since Forge is out. But yes, the game is hurting for content. I'd never recommend buying a console for any one game, but I wouldn't be surprise if this game is the only game I play heavily for the next 8 months...

I'll have to give warzone some time, then, and hope it clicks with me too. I don't doubt that arena is great, though - the thing is, I've never really been into it. I've liked the chaotic Halo a lot more, stuff like BTB (on actually fun maps lol) and multi-team with all the crazy game modes, like king of the hill and kill-to-get-skulls-and-then-pick-those-fuckers-up. The latter was particularly fun in Reach, could spend dozens and dozens of hours on that playlist alone.

I've totally ignored custom games, though. I'll be sure to join in whenever y'all are doing some as long as someone mentions it in this thread and it's a good time for me.

Trup1aya

I'll have to give warzone some time, then, and hope it clicks with me too. I don't doubt that arena is great, though - the thing is, I've never really been into it. I've liked the chaotic Halo a lot more, stuff like BTB (on actually fun maps lol) and multi-team with all the crazy game modes, like king of the hill and kill-to-get-skulls-and-then-pick-those-fuckers-up. The latter was particularly fun in Reach, could spend dozens and dozens of hours on that playlist alone.

I've totally ignored custom games, though. I'll be sure to join in whenever y'all are doing some as long as someone mentions it in this thread and it's a good time for me.

Man, it's like 343i forgot that there were a lot of people who played halo for the experiences that you mentioned... Some people have a theory that they didn't even plan to have BTB at one point. And the absence of oddball and Koth and other classic gametypes is simply mind numbing (and the fact that there we still have no idea when they'll arrive doesn't make things any better).

But yeah, give Warzone a chance... You'll see some crazy shit from time to time and it becomes a blast once you get a grasp of how the matches flow.

Glass

Breakout matchmaking continues to be way off, in my experience. This isn't a one off for me, but is the most recent example.

Screenshot-Original.png

Breakout is the mode where I got put Silver 1 whilst getting Platinum for everything else. The top guy on the other team was Onyx in other playlists. I'm currently gold as were the others. Those poor guys getting 0 kills... this isn't the way you get people to like your new mode :p

That said there have been some great Breakout matches in the HCS, I hope its showing the potential of the mode to people. This weekends one had some good examples of close and exciting Breakouts. Ninja went got 15 kills in one match, the game where he hid from someone with camo was awesome.

Ramirez

Breakout matchmaking continues to be way off, in my experience. This isn't a one off for me, but is the most recent example.

[MG]http://screenshotscontent-t5002.xboxlive.com/0009000000df529c-a47cf308-1f21-4a1e-a898-4216fcc7bd48/Screenshot-Original.png?sv=2014-02-14&sr=c&sig=8pxKfGvK3yPYWFJsKGr9rrX8g%2FORweIC70X8tsRzLXo%3D&st=2016-01-12T18%3A20%3A01Z&se=2016-01-12T19%3A25%3A01Z&sp=r&__gda__=1452626701_6949144b2b624f6c508286e5c8130d7d[/IMG]

Breakout is the mode where I got put Silver 1 whilst getting Platinum for everything else. The top guy on the other team was Onyx in other playlists. I'm currently gold as were the others. Those poor guys getting 0 kills... this isn't the way you get people to like your new mode :p

That said there have been some great Breakout matches in the HCS, I hope its showing the potential of the mode to people. This weekends one had some good examples of close and exciting Breakouts. Ninja went got 15 kills in one match, the game where he hid from someone with camo was awesome.

Well, the only list lower than it was FFA, I doubt there's a population to support good matching.

Still can't believe they wasted time and resources on that shit.

I enjoy Breakout far more than I thought I would, and there's always going to be lower-played playlists. Guess this time it's Breakout.

And, presumably (if there is one) Team Objective, because people are silly and never played that enough before.

Fuchsdh

Well, the only list lower than it was FFA, I doubt there's a population to support good matching.

Still can't believe they wasted time and resources on that shit.

You launch stuff knowing it might not meet your expectations. I can see Breakout being a "waste" in that it has its own special arena and design, but plenty of stuff the devs spend time on never go anywhere—I have only met a few hardcore fans of things like Stockpile and Headhunter, for instance, and obviously Generator Defense was a total waste of time in hindsight.

i like breakout. a lot. i think its a lot of fun. im a big swat fan and its a pretty cool twist on that.

its the only thing that feels different in the whole game. im just dying for variety really

How you gonna git that sweet new armorz without 100?

For reals, I need new armor. In order to that, I need more members. Join Team Frankie and be abandoned by Frankie like the rest of us!

Man sometimes I get on and my aiming just feels completely off. I just have to sign out and try again later. Anyone else do this?

This happens occasionally when I haven't played for a few days. Normally I'll just play Warzone Assault for a couple hours heavily favoring the pistol and my aim will improve again.

Glass

i like breakout. a lot. i think its a lot of fun. im a big swat fan and its a pretty cool twist on that.

its the only thing that feels different in the whole game. im just dying for variety really

Yeah it's a big switch up from normal slayer modes and I think it achieves what it set out to do nicely. I also think there's even more potential for it. It made the switch over to normal Arena maps pretty well, I'd like to see more variation in the forge maps it's played on. Then, since it's kind of close to CS:GO already, go all out and see how it works with Assault/one bomb mode once more modes get introduced.

Karl2177

You launch stuff knowing it might not meet your expectations. I can see Breakout being a "waste" in that it has its own special arena and design, but plenty of stuff the devs spend time on never go anywhere—I have only met a few hardcore fans of things like Stockpile and Headhunter, for instance, and obviously Generator Defense was a total waste of time in hindsight.
I think Breakout would be cool if it just used the same health model as the rest of the game. Arena Breakout is neat, but I want to play on symmetric maps.

Yeah it's a big switch up from normal slayer modes and I think it achieves what it set out to do nicely. I also think there's even more potential for it. It made the switch over to normal Arena maps pretty well, I'd like to see more variation in the forge maps it's played on. Then, since it's kind of close to CS:GO already, go all out and see how it works with Assault/one bomb mode once more modes get introduced.

played with friends its kinda great, i really like it. it becomes like football-esque.

i play with my one friend a lot

people tend to stick to similar strategies round after round.

Like trench. First round you see what the other team does, we usually hang back and cover the br side and small tunnell side, see what our teammates do, and especially what the other team does. maybe the other team tries to get wise and we can be smart enough to anticipate a flank, or it works and we now have to be ready for it.

if they go full offensive and come into our spawn and we win, we know what "play" we are running. If they win, we adjust. Maybe stick to one side more, maybe head out into the middle, maybe go full offense on them.

and then as each round goes by the gameplan gets more and more developed. smaller details on how to approach enemies we can guess where theyll be because of the last rounds. ive gone up 3-0 and had the other team win 2 and we're like okay we need to adjust for how they adjusted to us. other maps have power weapons. so if we get smoked by invisi or a shotgun or hydra one or two times, we know thats a priority for them and if we get it we'll throw their strategy off. if one of us dies we basically become the coordinator for the remaining one. Telling him where other teammates are engaging, if we see the other team pop up on his screen but he doesnt, etc.

one thing we got really fond of doing is on one-on-one or two-on-ones, grabbing the flag, chilling with it for a second, then throwing it in the middle of the map before sprinting down a lane on the side. gave the guy enough time to go back to his spawn to protect his flag capture point, so we know where he is. he now thinks we are in the middle, so we just come up the side and pop em

obviously this is how any gametype can be approached but because its round based and so quick we can really experiment more. we literally run routes. it feels like downs.

the only thing i hate about it is the TKs. We got matched with a guy three times who if he didnt get the BR or DMR would kill us and take it, and i cant make this up, almost instantly get killed by the other team. so 10 seconds in its 2v4.

More than likely, yes. It's the only thing they've confirmed, which is why I don't understand people acting like FF has some sort of chance of being announced any day.

people are just desperate for more to do in the game. h5 was in the top 5 and actually moved UP from release on the most played game list in december. now its back at the bottom of that list.

BraXzy

I have only met a few hardcore fans of things like Stockpile and Headhunter, for instance, and obviously Generator Defense was a total waste of time in hindsight.

I loved Headhunter. A really fun twist on Slayer. I hope it makes a return in some form in the future.

You should double check your TV settings. Make sure you're in game mode, or that all the image processing is turned off.

My TV probably has a 10 ms delay. It isn't even full HD haha. One of the these days I'll try setting up my Xbox with my monitor and see if I can go pro.

Guys without a Spartan Company, Team Frankie could really use a few more members. We're only at like 71 right now.

I'd love to join if possible. The company I'm in now only has a few members and they don't seem to be active at all. Also, pretty busy til the weekend but if anyone needs someone to play with feel free to send me an invite. I started getting back into this the week after Crhistmas and really like it, but it's so hard to play solo.

GT: xxx shiv xxx

Ramirez

people are just desperate for more to do in the game

So, they just start making up expectations that have no basis to actually happen? lol

After 2 AWFUL Halo MP games, I've been more than content with what this one has brought to the table just because it plays so damn well. Different strokes, I suppose.

So, they just start making up expectations that have no basis to actually happen? lol

After 2 AWFUL Halo MP games, I've been more than content with what this one has brought to the table just because it plays so damn well. Different strokes, I suppose.

i think its just that actually.

like for me, i love the way it plays. love it. i think its the best shooter ive played in yearrrrs.

and i just cant help but think "but what if i could play oddball in this...." and it sounds so much fun. like so much potential its almost maddening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom