• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like Roy and Snip3down - two really chill dudes.

Bungie are the masters of UI and attention to detail.

Yes they were good but at the same time, how hard was it to put a "search for user" feature in Halo5 so i don't have to add 100 people to my Friends list to get maps? Its common fucking sense.

Fuchsdh

Yes they were good but at the same time, how hard was it to put a "search for user" feature in Halo5 so i don't have to add 100 people to my Friends list to get maps? Its common fucking sense.

I highly doubt they are going to be leaving the current map sharing featureset as is. The question is, do you prefer having to follow people to add their maps, or not be able to access them at all in the interim?

I highly doubt they are going to be leaving the current map sharing featureset as is. The question is, do you prefer having to follow people to add their maps, or not be able to access them at all in the interim?

I prefer they took more time and did it right the first time. But this goes back to exactly what i was saying before, If this is a big studio, what exactly are they all doing right now considering a lot of the content we're getting now is armor with some forge maps and one ACTUAL new map. Whats everyone doing?

Glass

Just had a great Warzone on Noctus, enemy spawned multiple warthogs and scorpions for Warden right at the end, and I spawned my winter scorpion from red base, took them all so long to find me firing from up there. Took out most of their players and got the warden kill after being far behind in the match.

That satisfaction of getting a boss kill and catching up or even taking over the enemy would still be there with separate team health bars for bosses, since I'd just taken out all their big guns there boss kill progression would have taken that hit.

Akai__

Halo 4: No File Browser at launch. Has been added later.
Halo MCC: You had to add people and wait for them to be online in order to access their File Share. A search for player was added later.
Halo 5: No File Share on launch. You have once again to add people to access their File Share. You are actually not downloading the map, but bookmarking them, which doesn't work from time to time. And the worst thing is that people can access your "Work in Progress" stuff.

I mean... How many times does 343i plan to start from 0 for such a feature? With every new Halo game, they essentially waste ressources on a feature that has seen several iterations and improvements.

Halo MCC: You had to add people and wait for them to be online in order to access their File Share. A search for player was added later.
Halo 5: No File Share on launch. You have once again to add people to access their File Share. You are actually not downloading the map, but bookmarking them, which doesn't work from time to time. And the worst thing is that people can access your "Work in Progress" stuff.

I mean... How many times does 343i plan to start from 0 for such a feature? With every new Halo game, they essentially waste ressources on a feature that has seen several iterations and improvements.

And this is exactly what aggravates me about them. After everything they do launches, im like "theyll hopefully get it right the next time". But every single time its the same story. Im really really getting fed up.

Now that I could get Mk IV on any Gold pack I feel as though the game is torturing me, giving me garbage like Scanner, the polar opposite of the beautiful Mk IV. One day...

jem0208

I prefer they took more time and did it right the first time. But this goes back to exactly what i was saying before, If this is a big studio, what exactly are they all doing right now considering a lot of the content we're getting now is armor with some forge maps and one ACTUAL new map. Whats everyone doing?

You'd rather have Forge with no file share at all or delay Forge even further? Really?

We'd still likely have to wait the same amount of time before a good file share launched but we'd either have a completely borked forge or no forge at all. This seems like a fairly good solution in the interim.

They have confirmed they're working on a better file share by the way.

Also they're probably coming back from Christmas holidays and moving offices.

Ramirez

gametypes? custom game options? forge file browser thats equivalent to 2-3 games ago? Major UI updates?

They had said right before the last update that the gametypes weren't ready, to expect them to hit in the next one when you had Christmas/New Year/Studio moving was foolish, TBH.

You'd rather have Forge with no file share at all or delay Forge even further? Really?

We'd still likely have to wait the same amount of time before a good file share launched but we'd either have a completely borked forge or no forge at all. This seems like a fairly good solution in the interim.

They have confirmed they're working on a better file share by the way.

Also they're probably coming back from Christmas holidays and moving offices.

Thats all fine, i get that, but they had 4 years to do this. Halo4 was out in 2012. COD games are out in 3 year intervals (by studio) and they rarely ship with features missing.

Well you can count the Forge team on one hand. Dunno if they're the ones doing the file browser but I don't think we had a Forge team for H4 or MCC. Should be seeing updated file browsing in a few weeks.

Trup1aya

Well you can count the Forge team on one hand. Dunno if they're the ones doing the file browser but I don't think we had a Forge team for H4 or MCC. Should be seeing updated file browsing in a few weeks.

This is why I can't help but see it as a management issue. They were handed the reigns to this franchise while Reach was doing its thing. They were created in 2009! Why haven't they figured out how to properly launch a halo game...

I mean, they coexisted with Bungie... They should have an idea what the bare minimum necessities are... Why does it always seem like they are starting from scratch?

Halo 3 and Reach's file sharing systems were pretty advanced in that you could search online and in game for files and they'd download almost instantly. I'd hazard a guess that Bungie uses similar networking behind their real time updates for Destiny.

I wouldn't say file browsing is next level coding shit, but given that we're three games in now and 343 hasn't produced even a prototype of the original, let alone enabled online downloading, perhaps it's really not as simple as connecting cables between servers.

The current system is serviceable however. I don't remember what Halo 4's was, but MCC's file browsing was an absolute disaster not unlike the rest of the game. We're in a decent spot comparatively and the community seems to be growing a bit because of it.

jem0208

Thats all fine, i get that, but they had 4 years to do this. Halo4 was out in 2012. COD games are out in 3 year intervals (by studio) and they rarely ship with features missing.

I agree they should have shipped with a proper file share.

That said it's been 3 years, not 4.

Bookmarking is actually an improvement. Means you constantly get the most up to date version of the map apparently, any changes are automatically downloaded.

^ i think its a nail on the head with management/ project leads thinking their way is better instead of using what isn't broken.

i think every business has teams of project leads that relay orders of what they think is best. this is a case of a team that isn't in touch with the halo community.

there are multiple people responsible for these decisions, not just 1 or 2 public figures.

^ i think its a nail on the head with management/ project leads thinking their way is better instead of using what isn't broken.

i think every business has teams of project leads that relay orders of what they think is best. this is a case of a team that isn't in touch with the halo community.

there are multiple people responsible for these decisions, not just 1 or 2 public figures.

Well bookmarking is a significant improvement to the file sharing, so whoever pushed that made a smart change. Just hope we don't have to wait too long for in game and online searching, because that's when file sharing really takes off.

outBRd

Well bookmarking is a significant improvement to the file sharing, so whoever pushed that made a smart change. Just hope we don't have to wait too long for in game and online searching, because that's when file sharing really takes off.

outBRd

I really hope they implement a decent, user friendly file sharing menu. I want to view all these cool maps, but like people echo in the halo forge thread, im not adding 100 people to bookmark files. This creates so many limitations down the road.

I also wonder how much of bungie's tech can they use from past halo games. Might be proprietary.

Trup1aya

I really hope they implement a decent, user friendly file sharing menu. I want to view all these cool maps, but like people echo in the halo forge thread, im not adding 100 people to bookmark files. This creates so many limitations down the road.

I also wonder how much of bungie's tech can they use from past halo games. Might be proprietary.

We need a playlist that has forge mini games... And this needs to be in it.

http://youtu.be/e7eoxHUS5vU

E92 M3

Does anyone else have the "forgot how to aim" effect after taking a few days break. It seems like taking a breaking is comparable to killing your mother when playing Halo lol. All skill flies out the window and it takes me hours to warm up.

How do you guys combat this? Doesn't happen in any game besides Halo.

jem0208

Does anyone else have the "forgot how to aim" effect after taking a few days break. It seems like taking a breaking is comparable to killing your mother when playing Halo lol. All skill flies out the window and it takes me hours to warm up.

Play a game of Warzone and only use the pistol. Warms you up pretty fast.

E92 M3

7 a match in Arena? Do your opponents not strafe?

I don't like to brag, but I've become very attuned to Halo 5 aiming and only use the pistol most of the time. That's why it's so frustrating when I take a break for a few days and aim like a toddler.

This is for FFA - encounters are a bit more hectic (everyone always thinking about their next battle) so easier to get perfects.

I average 4-5 a game, though.

Trup1aya

I fluctuate massively... I'll be just about to crack into diamond take a break for a few days, come back and drop to a plat 3...

I should warm up first. But the lack for Warzone Assualt maps is wearing me down...

Not saying game development is easy, but what 343 has been doing is kind of... mysterious. Mysteriously slow.

Rarely do I get perfect kills in game unless the enemy is running in the opposite direction...too many crouchers or strafers throw me off.

Perfect isn't supposed to be easy to get though, even in Gold I've already seen people using crouch strafe and efficient jumping to throw off my aim.

Madness

Only thing I don't get is, why cut doubles and holiday social when you don't replace it with anything? Even if they weren't played a lot, you're just regressing playlists for a few weeks. Should have heavily reduced snipers weighting and just have 5v5 social Slayer no ranks, or make it like Social Arena. That way people could play on the smaller maps without the ranks/skill issues of going solo into Team Arena.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Not saying game development is easy, but what 343 has been doing is kind of... mysterious. Mysteriously slow.

I think 343 is doing a pretty good job of consistent updates; HOWEVER, I think they REALLY need to embrace the Forge community. The very fact that all Halo: CE maps have been remade in Forge (with variations here and there) and the other Halo maps are also getting working remakes means that there needs to be a team at 343 whose job is to approve with quality control community made maps to greatly expand the map count. Some Forge maps are extremely insane, and the community should be rewarded for it. Even the unique maps are really awesome (Andy's Dorm, for instance).

I can't imagine a Halo 5 where Duck Hunt, Team Sumo, Infection, Griffball, and other wacky game types are present. That would be too much awesome for me to handle, so why isn't it happening? Some of those the community can take on (Duck Hunt and Team Sumo have already been done).

Ramirez

I think 343 is doing a pretty good job of consistent updates; HOWEVER, I think they REALLY need to embrace the Forge community. The very fact that all Halo: CE maps have been remade in Forge (with variations here and there) and the other Halo maps are also getting working remakes means that there needs to be a team at 343 whose job is to approve with quality control community made maps to greatly expand the map count. Some Forge maps are extremely insane, and the community should be rewarded for it. Even the unique maps are really awesome (Andy's Dorm, for instance).

I can't imagine a Halo 5 where Duck Hunt, Team Sumo, Infection, Griffball, and other wacky game types are present. That would be too much awesome for me to handle, so why isn't it happening? Some of those the community can take on (Duck Hunt and Team Sumo have already been done).

Bravo has already said we may see a Forge list as soon as this month. But hell, they have to test the maps out and make sure the spawns and stuff work. People bitch about spawns as it is, you can't just go and throw a bunch of of untested maps in a playlist and call it a day, shit takes time.

Madness

Bravo has already said we may see a Forge list as soon as this month. But hell, they have to test the maps out and make sure the spawns and stuff work. People bitch about spawns as it is, you can't just go and throw a bunch of of untested maps in a playlist and call it a day, shit takes time.

Why not though? I mean most Forgers and people who would play a Forge playlist understand its a testing ground of sorts. It literally takes me a second to download someone's Forge map to test. Obviously it's not as simple as that getting it into playlists and whatnot, things like frame rate need to be accounted for etc.

Also, maps like Deadlock already have pretty poor spawn issues, I mean when it launched, you had someone from the other team spawn behind the other base at the start. And this was a map that was officially made by the 343 devs after Nokyard handoff and tested. Just yesterday, someone broke out of Antifreeze and was shooting us from 300 feet above our base.

So what's the issue by having 4-5 Forge maps every week as a test to just screw around in? Provide valuable testing and feedback? I would love to be able to play 4v4 Slayer on that Pit remake and then talk about spawn issues, weapon issues. Sometimes the umbilical cord needs to be cut and hand holding needs to stop no?

Testing ain't easy but I continue to believe that 343i has been largely squandering the potential to basically crowdsource making their game better and more fun. SWAT and Infection were community gametypes once upon a time...

I mean, just move the person in charge of adding snags to every wall in the developer maps to checking over forge maps, at least.

I really love halo and i only voice my rants because i see the potential of being something very well rounded.

Like a donut. Fresh, hot, soft donut. Something from Voodoo Donuts* to be exact.

I should stop posting so much though. About to beat braxxzy in #1 top poster. Lol i didnt think i posted that much. >_<

Google voodoo donuts denver

Ramirez

Why not though? I mean most Forgers and people who would play a Forge playlist understand its a testing ground of sorts. It literally takes me a second to download someone's Forge map to test. Obviously it's not as simple as that getting it into playlists and whatnot, things like frame rate need to be accounted for etc.

Also, maps like Deadlock already have pretty poor spawn issues, I mean when it launched, you had someone from the other team spawn behind the other base at the start. And this was a map that was officially made by the 343 devs after Nokyard handoff and tested. Just yesterday, someone broke out of Antifreeze and was shooting us from 300 feet above our base.

So what's the issue by having 4-5 Forge maps every week as a test to just screw around in? Provide valuable testing and feedback? I would love to be able to play 4v4 Slayer on that Pit remake and then talk about spawn issues, weapon issues. Sometimes the umbilical cord needs to be cut and hand holding needs to stop no?

You're insane if you think they want to throw a test bed playlist out there. Want someone's first and last impression to be an untested Forge map? Hand holding, good grief, it's called controlling the quality of your matchmaking environment.

If stuff like that snuck in WITH testing, can you imagine what would happen if they didn't test them at all?

And I mean damn, the end of this month is when they're shooting for a playlist. This game has been updated more and quicker than any Halo before it. Some of you act like they're doing absolutely nothing, Forge is weeks old, have some pantience.

Juanfp

I really want more modes. I don't know how much time is needed to balance the mode, but I think they are taking a lot of time. Maybe they are slow because the are working on Warzone Firefight?

Madness

You're insane if you think they want to throw a test bed playlist out there. Want someone's first and last impression to be an untested Forge map? Hand holding, good grief, it's called controlling the quality of your matchmaking environment.

If stuff like that snuck in WITH testing, can you imagine what would happen if they didn't test them at all?

And I mean damn, the end of this month is when they're shooting for a playlist. This game has been updated more and quicker than any Halo before it. Some of you act like they're doing absolutely nothing, Forge is weeks old, have some pantience.

Not what they'd want, what a lot of fans and forgers want. Have you seen some of the stuff people have already created? I get the 'controlling the matchmaking experience', but like Prinz also said, Halo shines when the community gets its hands on it. Infection, Grifball, even something like the new Duck Hunt thing etc.

I mean my point is, having a playlist clearly stating these maps are works in progress, not having ranks, stating they are just for testing purposes, could go a long way. Maybe Funknown is right, we forget the game is a business after all. I'm not acting like they're going slow. I get that the game is still only 2ish months from launch, they they had thanksgiving, Christmas and a move to a new building. I don't know, maybe just shows how a customs games browser is probably the next major step for multi-player in the Halo series. Separate from Arena/Warzone would be the ability to host customs games etc.

Juanfp

Why do people keep bringing up firefight? Is this a thing?

Personally, firefight with the req system is something that I could play a lot.
Also we don't have another pve mode beside the campaign. On odst and reach we had firefight and in 4 we had spartan ops, so I can see them adding a mode like that.

Madness

Lot of people no longer visit or post here. Don't blame them after the closing thread shenanigans. So many other posters permanently banned too.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

A game from 2007 with better content sharing tools than a game from 2015. Let that sink in. Heck, Halo 3 even had it's system in at launch. :p

Credit where credit is due, but playing post release catch up with the feature set from an 8 year old game is hardly going to garner any sympathy from the players. Forge, proper file sharing, bookmarking, et al, should have been launch features.

Jumping through hoops, months after a game's release, to try to share content is fucking outright embarrassing in this generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom