• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
has there been, or are there any plans for, a single completely new and original map?

How insane is that?

overgrowth is a remix. the new map in the jan update is a remix. And to 343's credit they do play differently its not a new coat of paint exclusively not at all.

im like a lot of people here, i really want new gametypes and think its a complete failure on 343's post launch content (i think most of it is a failure but thats a different post).

But honestly, I cant think of any of the existing maps where infection would really play very well.
Maybe I'm just blanking, but what is Overgrowth a remix of?

Edit: Oh, Plaza. I guess I see it.

I have no issues with Forge so far.

Well there are a bunch. Glitches are the most obvious, of which there are plenty. Fortunately, they're aware of them and improvements seem to be on the way. So that, along with additional objects and features will push it towards its potential.

It is indeed incredible to see what people have already done though, and it'll only get better.

Akai__

Well there are a bunch. Glitches are the most obvious, of which there are plenty. Fortunately, they're aware of them and improvements seem to be on the way. So that, along with additional objects and features will push it towards its potential.

It is indeed incredible to see what people have already done though, and it'll only get better.

Sorry, what I meant was that I don't have issues with how Forge maps look.
Well, except maybe Guillotine to be honest. :p

I know about most of the glitches. Have encountered many of those already, while testing some scripting, grouping etc.

Sorry, what I meant was that I don't have issues with how Forge maps look.
Well, except maybe Guillotine to be honest. :p

I know about most of the glitches. Have encountered many of those already, while testing some scripting, grouping etc.

Oh yea there's some great looking stuff out there already, especially if you're using natural terrain. Textures will help push it a little further though, and hopefully they give us more vegetation to work with.

Tawpgun

There are nights where we lose half of our games. Then there is tonight, where me and ram almost end up at 1800 onyx.
Seems like 2 onyx 2 diamond is the sweet spot

Can I join the HaloGAF company please? I play Halo 5 every day and I have been playing Halo since the day the franchise was born ;)

Submit resume, cover letter and 3 references to Elzar.

ill see what space is looking like

Pass on Mantis breakout (I still think it's a real dumb vehicle) but I was IN on that World of Tanks inspired breakout variant. Uses the massive alpine or whatever that grassy canvas is. 8 v 8 tanks. 1 life.

Now that I'm thinking of it, gungoose breakout sounds kinda interesting too lol.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
They were trying to troll the HCS. Their goal was to get into the HCS and pull off their hiding tactics in a match so it can be shown on the official twitch stream for the HCS.I don't know why they decided to join the Asia Qualifiers.
And here's a video talking about what they did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNfFsksdgT8

i'm not sure if this makes the entire thing less funny or more funny. i do, however, want to change my gamertag to chi teng

Nowise10

Mantis Breakout reminds me of the mech only mode in Titanfall.

It pretty much is Last Titan Standing.

Which I am really surprised the Mantis in H5 got zero changes to it from H4. It really feels like it should be able to thrust or "sprint" in this game. It is way to easy to get hijacked from Spartans because of it.

Fuchsdh

It pretty much is Last Titan Standing.

Which I am really surprised the Mantis in H5 got zero changes to it from H4. It really feels like it should be able to thrust or "sprint" in this game. It is way to easy to get hijacked from Spartans because of it.

I mean, it just shifts its role to a support role. Same with most vehicles (and I think that's how it should be, really.) If you aren't running with some allies to spot you you're not going to do well.

Glass

I like all the spartan abilities apart from spartan charge. You have all these great mechanics to cut down on the amount of sprinting, then add this super powerful move which encourages it. I'd like to see it nerfed rather then taken out though.

Ramirez

I like all the spartan abilities apart from spartan charge. You have all these great mechanics to cut down on the amount of sprinting, then add this super powerful move which encourages it. I'd like to see it nerfed rather then taken out though.

Why does it need nerfed? If you pay attention it is a complete non factor, and usually detrimental for someone to do.

I check my surroundings with the sniper. Nobody around I can see or hear and nothing on the motion sensor. Then all of a sudden I get charged like a fucking nuke hitting me.

Why does it need nerfed? If you pay attention it is a complete non factor, and usually detrimental for someone to do.

I can thrust out of the way, jump up into the air and Spartan charge still ends up hitting me because of the auto aim lunge nonsense. The distance x time it takes to reach terminal velocity in order to do a spartan charge is also too short, people can start sprinting for what seems like 2 feet and perform a charge.

Plus sprinting into a fight should be discouraged rather than rewarded, you have your gun swinging around and it shows a complete lack of situational awareness, yet they have a get out of jail free card in form of spartan charge.

Glass

That's a big if though!

But seriously, most of the time I know it's coming and I feel like I can't do anything about it. In tight corridors like on Plaza or Warzone armouries, if you're sprinting you have the advantage. At least in the tiers I play at.

Karl2177

Eh. Maybe not nerfs, but definitely tweaks. I've thrusted out of the way but it still connected, even though I saw the other player's character whiff the air. Another issue I have is that inputs are queued during the knockback period, which means if you were about to melee someone and you get charged, it will melee once you are out of the knockback. The only action that will override the knockback is a thrust. The real killer is when you thrust out of the way, watch them miss, it still connects for some reason, and now you can't thrust to end the knockback.

I'm still surprised though, it's the only Spartan Ability that I have any issues with. Ground pound, slide, thrust, even sprint I'm fine with.

Glass

I will work on getting gud tho.

I love ground pound's balancing. It's super rare to see it during a HCS game, so when you do it's a genuine moment.

jem0208

It's not particularly powerful but it is a bit shit and encourages just sprinting at players. I'd like to see it removed completely.

Ramirez

They might as well kill you in one hit when it knocks you back, preventing you from shooting, it makes perfect sense in terms of the laws of the universe, but little sense in terms of game balance.

You can melee them during the SC and shoot way before they're able to though.

Spartan Charge is my least favorite thing with multiplayer. Just rewards people who sprint around.

My biggest problem with it is that the radar range is so tight compared to past Halo games that it gets super frustrating when you're killing by a spartan charge from behind when you have literally no time to react to it. Extending radar range (or removing radar entirely) would solve this issue.

E92 M3

It's rather saddening that they worked on Breakout instead of having the objectives from previous Halo games. It's not right that when Breakout games come on for tournaments I use it as a bathroom/food break. Way too random for tournament play.

My biggest problem with it is that the radar range is so tight compared to past Halo games that it gets super frustrating when you're killing by a spartan charge from behind when you have literally no time to react to it. Extending radar range (or removing radar entirely) would solve this issue.

There is actually a ton of time to react - I've ninja'd quite a few people. It's all about map awareness; you can't use the radar like you did before.

Glass

I enjoy watching Breakout on the tournament, it gets super tense. I think a good balance people are asking for is to start with no grenades. So one person on each team goes for the grenade pick up, thats it. That way the grenade guy is a coordinated play, rather then the current grenade spam at the start of every round hoping you don't die.

E92 M3

I enjoy watching Breakout on the tournament, it gets super tense. I think a good balance people are asking for is to start with no grenades. So one person on each team goes for the grenade pick up, thats it. That way the grenade guy is a coordinated play, rather then the current grenade spam at the start of every round hoping you don't die.

No grenades would be a great start

Glass

No grenades would be a great start

I think it could balance things nicely. A bunch of the players in the tournament have tweeted out recently their distain for Breakout, and a bunch of it seems to come from the randomness of the mode. Taking starting grenades out takes that random insta kill element out.
Assigning a player to go for the map grenades gives it that same risk/reward as any power up or weapon. It would be great if they could implement it quickly, inbetween qualifiers. It's taking something out rather then implementing something new, so maybe it wouldn't require the same amount of work and testing time from 343's end? Idk

IHaveIce

Banned
New gametypes late february huh?... Too late. Sorry but I say it like it is, you withheld this stuff on purpose to fill out future update months, this is at least the feeling I get.

I miss paid DLC already..

New gametypes late february huh?... Too late. Sorry but I say it like it is, you withheld this stuff on purpose to fill out future update months, this is at least the feeling I get.

You are not the only one. I can't get it wy it would take 2 months or more to put a gametype in the game.. Is only one person working on that? He's playtesting alone? Jesus

mo60

They probably focused a lot on making sure the other multiplayer modes played well per-launch to make sure another halo 4 did not happen in terms of population retention. I don't like they are doing this also.As for the two/three month delay for the gametypes they probably started focusing on them post launch after the game released, but the Christmas period plus moving into a new building probably made it a bit harder for them to work on creating more content for this game.

Strider

Taking starting grenades out of Breakout decreases the amount of tools you have to flush out campers.... I'm not seeing how that will benefit the mode

Ramirez

Miss paid DLC?? C'mon.

At least this way everyone gets it and you'll actually play it, unlike any of the DLC from recent Halo games.

IHaveIce

Banned
They probably focused a lot on making sure the other multiplayer modes played well per-launch to make sure another halo 4 did not happen in terms of population retention. I don't like they are doing this also.As for the two/three month delay for the gametypes they probably started focusing on them post launch after the game released, but the Christmas period plus moving into a new building probably made it a bit harder for them to work on creating more content for this game.

well the moving part was probably known for a while, best thing would have been delaying the game.

Forge would have been in at launch, more maps and maybe classic gametypes.

I mean they don't even have the manpower to monitor their actual matchmaking set ups, lots of maps and weapon placements need tweaking, I mean how did Overgrowth get into MM like this.

But they need manpower for: Monitor actual content, new forge maps for MM, new dev build maps, new weapon reqs they want to add, new gametypes etc.
How should they do that right now, they can't.

It just doesn't work out atm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom