• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh it's definitely happening, so it's just a matter of when. I'm really hoping it's close in function to what it originally was, with projectile bullets and a 3sk.

Oh god it'll be soo bloody broken they will restrict it to just warzone. but then again I would love to 3 shot a Warden or any other boss...

Sorry to link to Halofollower but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln54pQMUdm0

This really happened in an HCS match?! what were they trying to do make a statement or protest or something or just breaking the map for lels? love to know the full story behind this.

where can I view the full match?

Oh god it'll be soo bloody broken they will restrict it to just warzone. but then again I would love to 3 shot a Warden or any other boss...

This really happened in an HCS match?! what were they trying to do make a statement or protest or something or just breaking the map for lels? love to know the full story behind this.

They did it to troll

Team Mi Seng (Missing) Chi Teng (Cheating) Hai Deng (Hiding) Ai Chel Ji (HLG: Hidden Leage Gamers) and bluepants5

Here

For Urban, we had a tough time trying to figure out what we could do to make this area really feel like it was a connected part of Noctus as well as change it enough where it would feel like a different map. One of the things I talked over with our lighting artist, Kevin Daziel, was the intense lighting we had for Battle of Noctus. We decided we should go just as extreme, so we made this level a night level. It may not seem like much on paper but going with that decision has many perils.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/infinitys-armory-preview-2

Tawpgun

Tuned in to Ramirez's stream and saw him open a pack that contained Vale's helmet and lawn dart assassination.

Thanks for the mod to HaloGAF company Elzar, because I think I'm gonna make my first spite ban.

Defect

Lol that's awesome.

..okay.. Elite controller owners

I need some tips. Im trying to get used to this.

Any tips on stick curves and what was best for smoother control? I still get squirrly.

Lost so many recent games.. Sigh

Tuned in to Ramirez's stream and saw him open a pack that contained Vale's helmet and lawn dart assassination.

Thanks for the mod to HaloGAF company Elzar, because I think I'm gonna make my first spite ban.
Next to the Noble armor set which I just gotten last night the Vale set the my favorite and most wanted.

BraXzy

I added most people on that list. Feel free to add me GT: AB x Killer

I don't think you caught my GT :'(

BraXzyy (if you still want it)

..okay.. Elite controller owners

I need some tips. Im trying to get used to this.

Any tips on stick curves and what was best for smoother control? I still get squirrly.

Lost so many recent games.. Sigh

I've still not messed with the curves or anything. But the controller is indeed godlike. I'd be very interested to hear from someone who has really gone to town with all the customisable settings.
Also, obligatory git gud.

Glass

Halo twitch channel just went live playing CoD lol

yja0h8V.jpg

I don't think you caught my GT :'(

BraXzyy (if you still want it)

I've still not messed with the curves or anything. But the controller is indeed godlike. I'd be very interested to hear from someone who has really gone to town with all the customisable settings.
Also, obligatory git gud.

Yeah i do need to.get good. Idk why im getting my ass handed to me lately.

Plz understand

I know this has been asked a thousand times, but what do you guys have your controller settings at? I put my dead zones to zero and I think my aim acceleration is really low, like a 1 or 2 with a sensitivity of 4. Should I up the acceleration? I think my bigger issues are just getting familiar with the maps and controls. Several things I'm still trying to get more used to like sliding, thrust melee, hover and ground pound. On the other hand, thrusting in general and clamber finally feel natural to me. For real, that's how little of Halo 5 I've played.

mo60

They were trying to troll the HCS. Their goal was to get into the HCS and pull off their hiding tactics in a match so it can be shown on the official twitch stream for the HCS.I don't know why they decided to join the Asia Qualifiers.
And here's a video talking about what they did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNfFsksdgT8

CeeSaw

I know this has been asked a thousand times, but what do you guys have your controller settings at? I put my dead zones to zero and I think my aim acceleration is really low, like a 1 or 2 with a sensitivity of 4. Should I up the acceleration? I think my bigger issues are just getting familiar with the maps and controls. Several things I'm still trying to get more used to like sliding, thrust melee, hover and ground pound. On the other hand, thrusting in general and clamber finally feel natural to me. For real, that's how little of Halo 5 I've played.

I use 5 sensitivity with accel at 1. I also have both the deadzones at zero and I feel like the settings are right for me. My biggest advice is learn to thrust all the time it is up. I use it all the time and getting in that mentality right away seems to help newer players. I see too many players who don't even use it during fights and are creating a huge disadvantage just from that.

On another note just got done with a 2 hour session of arena with 3 of my buddies. I have to say that playing in a full squad with communication is by far the best way to play. There is something about everyone making callouts and coordinating on objectives that just scratches an itch for me that no other shooter does. I have played Halo since I was 8 and all thru my years growing up but really started with 5 to use communication to our full potential. Watching top level players has helped in that regard. I love this game.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I use 5 sensitivity with accel at 1. I also have both the deadzones at zero and I feel like the settings are right for me. My biggest advice is learn to thrust all the time it is up. I use it all the time and getting in that mentality right away seems to help newer players. I see too many players who don't even use it during fights and are creating a huge disadvantage just from that.

On another note just got done with a 2 hour session of arena with 3 of my buddies. I have to say that playing in a full squad with communication is by far the best way to play. There is something about everyone making callouts and coordinating on objectives that just scratches an itch for me that no other shooter does. I have played Halo since I was 8 and all thru my years growing up but really started with 5 to use communication to our full potential. Watching top level players has helped in that regard. I love this game.

I wish I could play consistently with a full squad. Usually it is just me and my brother and we are at different time zones which makes it tricky.

So close to getting Platinum, cant get out of Gold 6.

I love the game too. Already played more 5, than 4 and Reach combined.

Yes. Definitely using thrust regularly and trying to force myself to stick with teammates. I've played solo so often in previous halo games that it's second nature to do my own thing.

Yes. Definitely using thrust regularly and trying to force myself to stick with teammates. I've played solo so often in previous halo games that it's second nature to do my own thing.

Right? Im still in my " back in halo 2 " days i would carry the team...

Now i need the carry lol. Played so horrible.. 6 losses in a row.

Right? Im still in my " back in halo 2 " days i would carry the team...

Now i need the carry lol. Played so horrible.. 6 losses in a row.
Haha yes. It's tough. I used to be at least average or a hair above average. Now when I play Halo 5, my instincts still work, but the hand eye coordination and the new abilities are just not there yet. Might as well have my hand and controller covered in tar.

KmbwJgv.gif

Switch "car crash" with the word, "losses."

jfoul

Looks like Warzone Assault has turned into full on REQ farm mode. Most of the games I get into are against full groups, or the team I'm on lays down to get a quick 900-1200 req points.

I need to learn the combat evolved nade spots.

Funny enough, that's the closest commendation we have to master for our HaloGAF commendations.
Can I join the HaloGAF company please? I play Halo 5 every day and I have been playing Halo since the day the franchise was born ;)

Trup1aya

The Battle of Noctus Assault variant. They removed the monument, made a smaller structure and it's sort of set at nighttime now.

They didn't really "make" a smaller structure... Just threw in the same armory that's been in every other Warzone map except Noctus.

jfoul

They didn't really "make" a smaller structure... Just threw in the same armory that's been in every other Warzone map except Noctus.

Imo, the map output has been a disappointment so far. If this is what the map quality is going to be like with micro-transactions, I would rather pay for map packs.

Madness

It's the armory? It looked somewhat different, like a mix of the garage/monument. I want to see how it plays though, especially for assault because a vehicle favored area could have like 2-3 oni warthog running roughshod.

Akai__

Imo, the map output has been a disappointment so far. If this is what the map quality is going to be like with micro-transactions, I would rather pay for map packs.

I'd rather not pay for map packs, because it always splits the userbase. I agree that the map output and quality post launch has been pretty underwhelming, though.

I repeat myself over and over again, but it needs to be June already. I hope when all the confirmed DLC is released, it will make Halo 5 a much better game and maybe bring back more people.

Has anyone else had the game crash between games when doing shit in the menus?

Happens quite a bit to me, the music glitches then im kicked to the dash

I'd rather not pay for map packs, because it always splits the userbase. I agree that the map output and quality post launch has been pretty underwhelming, though.

I repeat myself over and over again, but it needs to be June already. I hope when all the confirmed DLC is released, it will make Halo 5 a much better game and maybe bring back more people.

There's 5 months between now and then and going by the previous release schedule, we'd only be getting 5 more Arena maps and maybe a couple more Warzone maps. Even if all 5 of those maps are good, that's still a paltry offering of maps.

Forge will probably be perfect by then though. More objects and canvases will be added, more features are in the works and we may even see textures. I don't mean to be a parrot, but if all 343 is going to do is remix their original maps, I'd rather they stop making maps altogether and put more resources into Forge. We still don't even know if they're going to give us real BTB maps, but with a better Forge it wouldn't even matter.

has there been, or are there any plans for, a single completely new and original map?

How insane is that?

overgrowth is a remix. the new map in the jan update is a remix. And to 343's credit they do play differently its not a new coat of paint exclusively not at all.

im like a lot of people here, i really want new gametypes and think its a complete failure on 343's post launch content (i think most of it is a failure but thats a different post).

But honestly, I cant think of any of the existing maps where infection would really play very well.

I was almost certain that January would be the big gametype update. I just don't get how they're not here yet.

Halo 5 in terms of gameplay is the best it's ever been. Just need this last push to get everything as it should be.

By the end of this month we'd have have 1 Warzone map + its Assault variant, 2 Arena maps, and a bunch of BTB stuff.

If we then have 5 more Arena maps and 2 more Warzone maps (say), that's 10 maps in 8 months. With those 5 Arena maps we'd have 14. Is that paltry? Some are poor/currently set-up badly (Overgrowth Slayer, etc), some are great, some might be shit, some might be great. Same with every FPS, hell game, ever. Yeah, many of these are remixes, but they do play significantly differently. I'd rather they were all 'original' maps, but the way they're discounted by some is silly.

Halo 2 had 11 extra maps over its whole life, Halo 3 13, Reach 12, Halo 4 also 12, I think? None of those games released that much stuff in 8 months. My numbers might be a little wrong, but the point is there.

That's ignoring the 6 Forged BTB maps which have/had 343 input, and the other stuff.

I realise I frequently 'defend' Halo 5 in this thread, but sometimes I think it's very easy to focus only on the problems we have with it.

I was almost certain that January would be the big gametype update. I just don't get how they're not here yet.

Halo 5 in terms of gameplay is the best it's ever been. Just need this last push to get everything as it should be.

Not exactly.

We need better options for static weapon timers. The only way to do it currently is with a weapon pad, but you can't adjust the ammo count on a weapon pad and you can't disable the waypoint. I believe there's also a way to stack items from a weapon pad, which means if the first copy isn't picked up, another will spawn on top of it. The workaround with drop spawns requires scripting and a bunch of other shenanigans. It's messy.

The sandbox also needs an update.
-Railgun magnetism needs to go down. It's a taboo item on 2-8 player maps because it's too easy to use.
-Storm Rifle health damage needs to go down. Storm Rifle is basically treated as a power weapon.
-Plasma Caster explosion should trigger faster and/or have an increased radius. Needs to be more like the Grenade Launcher.
-Hydra projectile speed should increase. It's very easy to dodge.

Those simple things alone would improve the gameplay at the micro level tremendously. We're missing good substitutes for the Plasma RIfle,Sentinel Beam/Focus Rifle and Grenade Launcher, so these changes would be aimed at doing that.

Give Hydra to someone who can use it, and it needs no buff. The amount of people I see misusing it is ridiculous. Offensive, even. The Hydra is my baby.

It's a great weapon if you're shooting someone who isn't looking or isn't moving.

Give Hydra to someone who can use it, and it needs no buff. The amount of people I see misusing it is ridiculous. Offensive, even. The Hydra is my baby.

By the end of this month we'd have have 1 Warzone map + its Assault variant, 2 Arena maps, and a bunch of BTB stuff.

If we then have 5 more Arena maps and 2 more Warzone maps (say), that's 10 maps in 8 months. With those 5 Arena maps we'd have 14. Is that paltry? Some are poor/currently set-up badly (Overgrowth Slayer, etc), some are great, some might be shit, some might be great. Same with every FPS, hell game, ever. Yeah, many of these are remixes, but they do play significantly differently. I'd rather they were all 'original' maps, but the way they're discounted by some is silly.

Halo 2 had 11 extra maps over its whole life, Halo 3 13, Reach 12, Halo 4 also 12, I think? None of those games released that much stuff in 8 months. My numbers might be a little wrong, but the point is there.

That's ignoring the 6 Forged BTB maps which have/had 343 input, and the other stuff.

I realise I frequently 'defend' Halo 5 in this thread, but sometimes I think it's very easy to focus only on the problems we have with it.

no i think your right, my complaints with h5 are hardly ever with the maps. Hell i like overgrowth, it plays great for swat.

Im also sure like theyve said they are going to be rolling community forge maps into arena. thatll be fantastic, and probably, wayyyyyyy better designed and looking than anything 343 has put out.

My only real complaints with h5 is how unfinished it feels. I thought id be getting Halo 5 and then monthly updates that add to the game. what we really got was an unfinished halo 5 and monthly updates to complete it. gametypes, file browser, social playlists, UI elements like medal count even, an obscene amount of stuff is just straight up missing.

and to add to how weird it is, you get josh holmes saying adding social playlists isnt as simple as flipping a switch. WTF? Why isnt it? Social has always been a part of halo. How do they launch the game just having nothing in place for that?

Trup1aya

Yeah I really thought we'd be getting our cake and eating it too. I'd never pay an extra red cent, AND I'd get a bunch of quality maps.

Instead that cake goes to 343i, who is obviously managed to squeeze a ton of money out of this release through MTs... While completely falling short of expectations regarding map output.

They had an opportunity to prove that this business model could be an everyone wins situation. Instead they just look greedy and lazy. And lazy is a term I HATE to use for developers... But concerning their effort with the map quality and quantity so far, I just can't explain it in any other way.

Too be clear, I actually like most of the Arena maps. But they tried to pass The Breakout maps, and Orion and Pegasus as devs maps. And Orion and Pegasus are simply not good. And the Warzone maps share way too many key assets.

Yeah I really thought we'd be getting our cake and eating it too. I'd never pay an extra red cent, AND I'd get a bunch of quality maps.

Instead that cake goes to 343i, who is obviously managed to squeeze a ton of money out of this release through MTs... While completely falling short of expectations regarding map output.

They had an opportunity to prove that this business model could be an everyone wins situation. Instead they just look greedy and lazy. And lazy is a term I HATE to use for developers... But concerning their effort with the map quality and quantity so far, I just can't explain it in any other way.

Too be clear, I actually like most of the Arena maps. But they tried to pass The Breakout maps, and Orion and Pegasus as devs maps. And Orion and Pegasus are simply not good. And the Warzone maps share way too many key assets.

Pegasus needs to be taken out back. The community has produced FAR better 4v4 maps than that.

My session was ended last night by the malaise of having to play Anti-Freeze FOUR times in a row. So when is the forum whining campaign for map selection voting gonna start gaining steam cause I'm getting sick of playing the same trash consecutively over and over again. Played four hours last night, didn't play guillotine once, instead got treated to hours of the aforementioned 'freeze and being gauss farmed on Recurve.

Akai__

There's 5 months between now and then and going by the previous release schedule, we'd only be getting 5 more Arena maps and maybe a couple more Warzone maps. Even if all 5 of those maps are good, that's still a paltry offering of maps.

They said 18+ map after launch, 6 of which were confirmed to be Warzone maps. So far, we have the following post launch:

- Battle of Noctus (Warzone)
- Overgrowth (Arena | Plaza remix)
- Urban (Warzone Assault)
- Riptide (Arena | Fathom remix)

This means, we either have 14 maps left or, if you count

- Basin (Forge | BTB)
- Deadlock (Forge | BTB)
- Guillotine (Forge | BTB)
- Recurve (Forge | BTB)
- Anitfreeze (Forge | BTB)
- Entombed (Forge | BTB)

towards the map count, we have 8 maps left minimum.

343i should do a better job at communicating that stuff with us, but going by the launch it will probably be 8 more maps plus whatever the "18+" means. I'm not gonna hype myself up for the possibility of 14 more maps. 343i doesn't derserve the benefit of the doubt after inflating the total map count with Forge maps and counting Warzone map duplicates, in my eyes.

Forge will probably be perfect by then though. More objects and canvases will be added, more features are in the works and we may even see textures. I don't mean to be a parrot, but if all 343 is going to do is remix their original maps, I'd rather they stop making maps altogether and put more resources into Forge. We still don't even know if they're going to give us real BTB maps, but with a better Forge it wouldn't even matter.

I have no issues with Forge so far. I open the Forge thread every day and also help testing maps from time to time and I'm really blown away by the stuff that people come up with. Some of the maps I've seen are easily better than the abomination that The Rig or Overgrowth is. 343i having a dedicated Forge Team is also a huge plus this time arround. Excited to see what Forgers will be able to create with continued support.

Trup1aya

It's the armory? It looked somewhat different, like a mix of the garage/monument. I want to see how it plays though, especially for assault because a vehicle favored area could have like 2-3 oni warthog running roughshod.

I thought it was a different building at first to... But upon closer inspection, it's the armory that we already know and love.

Pegasus needs to be taken out back. The community has produced FAR better 4v4 maps than that.

It amazes me that the public has produced so many maps that adhere to basic principles of map design in under a month, yet 343i puts out 2 god awful forge maps, and pretend that they have any business in the main playlists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom