• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trup1aya

Taking starting grenades out of Breakout decreases the amount of tools you have to flush out campers.... I'm not seeing how that will benefit the mode

No one really uses them to flush out campers... They nade routes for random kills or to cut off routes during the breakout....

Limiting grenades to map pickups would still allow for flushing out campers... Which really isn't a problem at the beginning of rounds anyway.

Strider

In the end it doesn't matter what changes you make anyway tbh. Pros won't like playing it. Most people won't like watching it.

Get rid of the mode for HCS season 2.

Edit: I am mixed on grenades in Breakout. I like that they are mini power weapons, and there is skill in getting them at the right spots at range. But i can see why people don't like the rain at the start.

Ramirez

Breakout has been shoehorned into the game from the first time we saw it. It was clear in that vidoc when the pros that were invited to first play it really didn't see the vision or think it would work. Full steam ahead anyways, lol.

IHaveIce

Banned
well the moving part was probably known for a while, best thing would have been delaying the game.

Forge would have been in at launch, more maps and maybe classic gametypes.

I mean they don't even have the manpower to monitor their actual matchmaking set ups, lots of maps and weapon placements need tweaking, I mean how did Overgrowth get into MM like this.

But they need manpower for: Monitor actual content, new forge maps for MM, new dev build maps, new weapon reqs they want to add, new gametypes etc.
How should they do that right now, they can't.

It just doesn't work out atm

Miss paid DLC?? C'mon.

At least this way everyone gets it and you'll actually play it, unlike any of the DLC from recent Halo games.

This. We're choosing between evils here folks, and I'd rather a lite, but unified community versus a stratified one.

Miss DLC was hyperbole of course, but I'm not really happy with how it is. I also don't see an unified community

E92 M3

Breakout has been shoehorned into the game from the first time we saw it. It was clear in that vidoc when the pros that were invited to first play it really didn't see the vision or think it would work. Full steam ahead anyways, lol.

Yes, it just seemed like 343 wanted something unique no matter how well it plays. By golly they will force it on us haha.

Well there is a unified community in that sense, because there is no DLC split. That is a simple fact. I also reiterate my point from the last page about previous Halos and their DLC. The way people act it's like H5 is a) broken and b) we've been waiting for six months.

The community is, however, not unified in opinion, but that is never the case...

IHaveIce

Banned
Well there is a unified community in that sense, because there is no DLC split. That is a simple fact. I also reiterate my point from the last page about previous Halos and their DLC. The way people act it's like H5 is a) broken and b) we've been waiting for six months.

The community is, however, not unified in opinion, but that is never the case...

No DLC split but since there are no real social lists people who just want to have fun play warzone.
I still think that is a big split

E92 M3

I figured that the map quality will remain consistent as in the previous games, but BTB was seriously dissed. BTB used to have some fantastic original maps, now it's a massive disappointment with subpar forge maps.

mo60

well the moving part was probably known for a while, best thing would have been delaying the game.

Forge would have been in at launch, more maps and maybe classic gametypes.

I mean they don't even have the manpower to monitor their actual matchmaking set ups, lots of maps and weapon placements need tweaking, I mean how did Overgrowth get into MM like this.

But they need manpower for: Monitor actual content, new forge maps for MM, new dev build maps, new weapon reqs they want to add, new gametypes etc.
How should they do that right now, they can't.

It just doesn't work out atm

I think they need to plug some of the weak spots in some of the dev maps like overgrowth and coliseum so people stop getting out of them. They are probably working with the forge team to fix the weak spots in those forge maps right now.I do agree with you on overgrowth. That map can get a bit chaotic at times because of the power weapons on the map.

Trup1aya

This. We're choosing between evils here folks, and I'd rather a lite, but unified community versus a stratified one.

The thing is, the current system didn't have to be evil at all... Had halo 5 launched with a complete suite of maps and game modes, AND had quality monthly content we'd be looking at the one business model to rule them all...

Instead they released an unfinished game and are claiming that microtransactions are funding new content, when really they are finishing content that is woefully late and reusing old assets in disappointing fashion.

Madness

I want to know why Orion was removed so early and why it's taken 3+ months for it to come back? I didn't really like the map at all, but it didn't warrant taking it out and not bringing it back. It's a forge map. Fix what you needed to and put it back into the rotation already.

Welfare

I figured that the map quality will remain consistent as in the previous games, but BTB was seriously dissed. BTB used to have some fantastic original maps, now it's a massive disappointment with subpar forge maps.

It's pretty funny (and sad) because Halo 4 was basically Halo BTB edition.

mo60

I want to know why Orion was removed so early and why it's taken 3+ months for it to come back? I didn't really like the map at all, but it didn't warrant taking it out and not bringing it back. It's a forge map. Fix what you needed to and put it back into the rotation already.

Did they ever say they would bring back that map?

Ramirez

It was a bad map, it doesn't need to come back when there's plenty of new Forge maps that could take its place.

Strider

No one really uses them to flush out campers... They nade routes for random kills or to cut off routes during the breakout....

No they don't nade for random kills. They nade for information. Random kills are just a lucky bonus.

You throw a nade at the start of the round to determine the location of the enemy team . You through a nade at a particular route and get a hitmarker... An enemy is there and you can potentially be aggressive and kill him by utilizing your health advantage. If you can't get into position for akill then you know where they are located and can predict their movements based on their current location. Throw a nade and no hitmarker? Well you eliminated a possible position of an enemy player and can look elsewhere.

You take away starting nades you take away a major tool that players have in getting information about the whereabouts of the enemy team. This in turn makes the game type more random and play even slower because pro players would have to play the guessing game on the location of the enemy players.

And as we've seen many times as games come to a stalemate (long after that initial barrage of nades)... pro players are more than happy to sit back and get a tie then risk moving around the map when they don't know where the enemy is.

Madness

Did they ever say they would bring back that map?

November 5, 2015:

"To start, we’re removing Orion, in its current form, from all playlists so that we can take some time to remove and patch map exploits as well as make additional improvements to the map before re-adding it where appropriate."

Spartan Charge is my least favorite thing with multiplayer. Just rewards people who sprint around.
I like the Spartan Charge because I find it to be a nerf to the sprint/melee nonsense that players formed habits out of. Now when someone wants to SC, they need to think about their surroundings or else they'll be punished by being stuck in that animation.
removing radar entirely would solve this issue.

Ramirez

I feel like no radar would increase the amount of SC you see, I use it all the time in SWAT for that very reason, lol.

But yes, #noradar.

Nah, no radar would cause people to be more alert and less dependent on a limited-range motion tracker. Awareness rises, critical thought strengthens, skills improve. And I find it funny how there isn't radar in a playlist with instant kill times, but there is in everything else. Feels backwards to me.

Vote no motion tracker for Halo 6! Or at least sound-based radar.. I might even be fine with going back to a slightly larger range if they made it sound-based.

Miss paid DLC?? C'mon.

At least this way everyone gets it and you'll actually play it, unlike any of the DLC from recent Halo games.
Yep. Halo 4 was a mess in that regard and personally I didn't care for most of the dlc in Halo 4. I'd rather get free slightly crappier maps that keep the player base together over slightly better quality (paid for) maps that end up doing more harm than good to the player population.

Trup1aya

No they don't nade for random kills. They nade for information. Random kills are just a lucky bonus.

You throw a nade at the start of the round to determine the location of the enemy team . You through a nade at a particular route and get a hitmarker... An enemy is there and you can potentially be aggressive and kill him by utilizing your health advantage. If you can't get into position for akill then you know where they are located and can predict their movements based on their current location. Throw a nade and no hitmarker? Well you eliminated a possible position of an enemy player and can look elsewhere.

You take away starting nades you take away a major tool that players have in getting information about the whereabouts of the enemy team. This in turn makes the game type more random and play even slower because pro players would have to play the guessing game on the location of the enemy players.

And as we've seen many times as games come to a stalemate (long after that initial barrage of nades)... pro players are more than happy to sit back and get a tie then risk moving around the map when they don't know where the enemy is.

there are plenty of random kills from grenades. I'm not saying they are thrown at random. They are thrown at routes that players are known to take. But whether or not a player is killed has nothing to do with skill at that point.

Starting grenades don't really speed up the match either. You notice that many players hesitate before taking key routes, because they expect grenades. I'm HCS many of the matches didn't really start until after the flurry of grenades was over.

The game is already a random gametype and really doesn't work for competitive play. Often the outcome doesn't boil down to who is the best mechanically or have the best strategy. Often, It boils down to wether or not a player happened to be where your grenade landed. Other times it boils down to the 'play' your team ran compared to the 'play' your opponent ran. But there is no way for either to to predict how the other will breakout, thusly, no way to ensure that win/loss comes down to execution instead of the the luck of choosing the positioning that provides an advantage over the opponents chosen position.

There's nothing wrong with relying on good old fashioned eyesight and communication to figure out where the opponent is. That's actually preferable to encouraging people to throw grenades and cross there fingers in hopes for a hit marker...

Strider

They're not used to flush out campers though. They're spammed at the start.

Worded poorly. Read my post after that... Without starting nades whats the point of pushing up at all at the start?

--

Basically by random you guys are trying to say the skill gap in Breakout is far less than other game types but really you have no proof of that. The top teams are dominating that mode just as much as they are the other game types. It's not like clearly inferior teams are taking Breakout matches from better teams....

The top teams dominate Breakout because they are very good at determining the location of the enemy team and communicating and coordinating appropriately based off that info.

Trup1aya

Worded poorly. Read my post after that... Without starting nades whats the point of pushing up at all at the start?

--

Basically by random you guys are trying to say the skill gap in Breakout is far less than other game types but really you have no proof of that. The top teams are dominating that mode just as much as they are the other game types. It's not like clearly inferior teams are taking Breakout matches from better teams....

The top teams dominate Breakout because they are very good at determining the location of the enemy team and communicating and coordinating appropriately based off that info.

Top teams don't really dominate though. If you look at everything from the round of 16 and look at each series, You'll see that if the better teams ever lost a round, it was breakout.

Even if they win a the game of breakout, it's potentially much closer than any other gametype.

Go onto team beyond and you'll see pros of all skill levels saying the same.

Strider

Top teams don't really dominate though. If you look at everything from the round of 16 and look at each series? You'll see that if the better teams ever lost a round, it was breakout.

If so then I'd be proven wrong but I haven't noticed that from watching myself...

Anyway this went off to a different subject. Still don't feel nades being removed would fix anything. Mode is not good period lol

--

Slayer Rig 3 times in a row 343 whyyy

Seems like 2 onyx 2 diamond is the sweet spot

Submit resume, cover letter and 3 references to Elzar.

ill see what space is looking like

Pass on Mantis breakout (I still think it's a real dumb vehicle) but I was IN on that World of Tanks inspired breakout variant. Uses the massive alpine or whatever that grassy canvas is. 8 v 8 tanks. 1 life.

Now that I'm thinking of it, gungoose breakout sounds kinda interesting too lol.

Ok thank you!

mo60

If so then I'd be proven wrong but I haven't noticed that from watching myself...

Anyway this went off to a different subject. Still don't feel nades being removed would fix anything. Mode is not good period lol

--

Slayer Rig 3 times in a row 343 whyyy

Wait until you play Escape from ARC like 5+ times.

November 5, 2015:

"To start, we’re removing Orion, in its current form, from all playlists so that we can take some time to remove and patch map exploits as well as make additional improvements to the map before re-adding it where appropriate."

It'll never be appropriate to add it back no matter what is changed. Map is a travesty.

belushy

Banned
I don't see why people want Orion back. Forge is already in the hands of everybody and we've already seen more than enough maps that are better than Orion was. It would be different if it was still in matchmaking but its been out of the lineup for awhile now.

Madness

It'll never be appropriate to add it back no matter what is changed. Map is a travesty.

Well I mean, the only issue I remembered from beta was the sun lighting that was blinding. They fixed that for launch. It didn't really play well in SWAT and in slayer, some of the map geometry was rife for exploits. Was it a bad map, maybe in the overall scheme of things yes, but enough to completely scrap it? I don't know. I mean it would break up the monotony of Rig Slayer 3x in a row as above no? We never really got a chance to see how pro team plays it, what they liked about it.

I wonder if maybe Forgers could tackle the map, add their own remix or spins to what the design was, fix any complaints people had.

Trup1aya

Well I mean, the only issue I remembered from beta was the sun lighting that was blinding. They fixed that for launch. It didn't really play well in SWAT and in slayer, some of the map geometry was rife for exploits. Was it a bad map, maybe in the overall scheme of things yes, but enough to completely scrap it? I don't know. I mean it would break up the monotony of Rig Slayer 3x in a row as above no? We never really got a chance to see how pro team plays it, what they liked about it.

I wonder if maybe Forgers could tackle the map, add their own remix or spins to what the design was, fix any complaints people had.

It really has no redeeming qualities worth preserving...

There are already dozens of forge maps that are better looking and play better. Let's get them in MM and forget Orion ever existed.

BraXzy

New gametypes late february huh?... Too late. Sorry but I say it like it is, you withheld this stuff on purpose to fill out future update months, this is at least the feeling I get.

I miss paid DLC already..

I feel like it will be too little too late as the big releases of this year start to drop, especially as we head into March.

Even if you did, you were playing BO, so you still lost. :(

BFront, BO...you done fell off, Elzar. Premium quality, indeed.

giphy.gif

Madness

Did I win the breakout match you spectated?

No, you guys went up early but then lost the later rounds, with Fatstronaut being the last guy standing most of the time. Only issue was every death/every round, it kept reverting to the other teams viewpoint. I think you did have the best K/D that match, think it may have been the last one?

BizzyBum

I haven't played in a bit, I know Forge is out but are there playlists utilizing a rotation of top ones yet?

The game is great but I feel the current maps are just bad and too few to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom