• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having all the forge remakes being put into the playlist without fully testing all the flaws they can have like for ex. Antifreeze isn't a good idea. Station 7 remake has that little lip on the side of the wall the forger mentioned that you can't clamber up because it isn't high enough for a normal jump to clamber yet what about using a vehicle to get to it he probably didn't thought of it yet. All the little areas ppl can reach thanks to clamber and ground pound getting outside of a map. Happened to Reach before.

If not a playlist atleast an in-game menu method to get these forge maps.

Make it easy. Make it smooth like butter.

Like how butter melts on a golden biscuit fresh from the oven. So good. Mmmm

Yeah make it. Hot. Steamy. In your face. Ready for an open mouth. Delicious food.

BraXzy

Having all the forge remakes being put into the playlist without fully testing all the flaws they can have like for ex. Antifreeze isn't a good idea. Station 7 remake has that little lip on the side of the wall the forger mentioned that you can't clamber up because it isn't high enough for a normal jump to clamber yet what about using a vehicle to get to it he probably didn't thought of it yet. All the little areas ppl can reach thanks to clamber and ground pound getting outside of a map. Happened to Reach before.

Make it social, put a big disclaimer when picking it saying they are in no way final and may have issues. People don't have to search it.

Then all those issues you're mentioning can be quickly found and brought up on the forums.

Hey Elzar where can I send you my request to join the HaloGAF company?
Same here.
Don't make excuses for them, it can't possibly take months to get these things going. It has now been over a month since Forge dropped, and within the first week of release we were already seeing outstanding maps, so it can't possibly be any worse than people currently breaking out of maps in Arena and tourney qualifiers lol. So we, all of us, the entire Halo community, already understands your point, but to be extra sure all they'd have to do is put that in the description.

It's really bizarre. Make the damn Forge playlist, pitch it to the community that it's a work in progress to get the BEST maps into other playlists, set up some polls, threads, tweets, etc. and get the community interacting on a positive level with each other. It would increase community engagement as we'd feel like we're a part of the process, but somehow it always ends up this way with Halo games.. all these little things to sour the experience, but maybe we're the problem, maybe I'm personally expecting too much.

Halo, the biggest franchise Microsoft has, a titan in the gaming industry, a pillar of shooter history for many people, still has these little things that sour an awesome experience.

We won't see a ground up original map before June if I had to guess. And depending on the req income (which is dependent on the population) we may not see any more maps past that point.

What sucks about this business Model is that it's dependent on having a high population and/or a few fans who don't mind spending a lot extra.

Well, 343i has been making decisions that hurt the population, which limits that amount of people they'll have buying Reqs... Which reduces their incentive to work hard in making good new content...

The poor map output and lack of content, simply begets more poor output.

Free maps supported by mtx helps keep a population over time and give players a reason to boot up the game after a time. A player hasn't played a mp game in a while, they can either (A) play it again because new content got added for free, or (B) make a fresh payment in order to play new content. Option A is the obvious answer, you don't sustain a mp game over time by requiring any potentially interested player to pay more for fresh content, you create a model in which players that are invested in the game want to and/or are willing to invest more money into the game that they are enjoying (usually for cosmetic items).

$60 is also a big barrier for multiplayer games, but for now it doesn't look like that's going to change for Halo.

Halo, the biggest franchise Microsoft has, a titan in the gaming industry, a pillar of shooter history for many people, still has these little things that sour an awesome experience.
Minecraft tho

rip halos

Ramirez

Make it social, put a big disclaimer when picking it saying they are in no way final and may have issues. People don't have to search it.

Then all those issues you're mentioning can be quickly found and brought up on the forums.

Or you could just wait the month and have a semi decently tested playlist. People's impatience is really staggering, because I know when people started getting out of those broke ass maps the same people would be in here crying about their MM experience.

Strider

There isn't a single game I play where the community doesn't complain about the speed of updates... It's almost like game development is hard and takes time or something idk.

Gamers are an impatient bunch.

Some of you haven't made a positive post in so long. Cheer up
smile.gif

Despite it's shortcomings Halo 5 is a good and fun game.

Trup1aya

Free maps supported by mtx helps keep a population over time and give players a reason to boot up the game after a time. A player hasn't played a mp game in a while, they can either (A) play it again because new content got added for free, or (B) make a fresh payment in order to play new content. Option A is the obvious answer, you don't sustain a mp game over time by requiring any potentially interested player to pay more for fresh content, you create a model in which players that are invested in the game want to and/or are willing to invest more money into the game that they are enjoying (usually for cosmetic items).

$60 is also a big barrier for multiplayer games, but for now it doesn't look like that's going to change for Halo.

Minecraft tho

rip halos

Don't get me wrong, option A is preferable to option B, which splinters the community by default. But in order for option A to work, the developer must 1) convince people to make the initial purchase 2) convince some people to spend a lot of extra money and/or convince a many people to spend a little extra money and 3) produce content that makes people want to continue to spend and play

In short, there's a need for solid EXECUTION. That's where 343i has failed. 1) the poor single player campaign, the lack of split screen, the initial lack of BTB and Forge, the lack of firefight and the skimpy MP content has dissuaded many Halo fans from making the initial purchase. 2) while req investment was initially high, the continued lack of content has been turning people away. People aren't going to invest more money in a game they aren't playing. 3) the content that 343i has produced so far has been lack luster... maps that reuse the same play spaces over and over is not the type of content that keeps people playing, or encourage people who left to return.

So while the business model has promise, 343i's poor execution will prevent the model from being successful, unless they show more effort and urgency with regards to providing FRESH, NEW, and VARIED experiences.

Seriously, had Halo5 MP launched with a fully featured MP suite AND given us quality DLC (instead of buggy forged maps, and copy and pasted dev maps), this business model would be the industry darling right now. Instead, we've got a mediocre proof of concept.

BraXzy

Or you could just wait the month and have a semi decently tested playlist. People's impatience is really staggering, because I know when people started getting out of those broke ass maps the same people would be in here crying about their MM experience.

Do you really think it's surprising people are desperate and impatient? If its taking 3+ months to get Orion game ready again, and 4/5+ months for basic gametypes to make it into the game, should we really expect something like that to happen within a month?

I'd take a disclaimer and broken maps to play on something fresh over waiting God knows how long for a lengthy internal test period.

Yeah some people are moaning a lot, and yes game development is an ongoing, challenging process but peoples concerns aren't entirely without merit.

Glass

FYI: I'm still in love with this soundtrack.

Yap. The montages/road to here/hype build up to HCS matches in the forthcoming broadcasts need to use tracks from the OST, like Crypt, Blue Team or Walk Softly. So good.

Hope they have some new videos lined up to play during the next qualifier and the insane number of breaks they take, the viewer number drops every single time they cut to one. It's still playing Christmas videos. Everyone in the chat has had to watch the same videos multiple times in one evening, across many weeks. Makes the whole thing seem rather bare bones in terms of production.

Ramirez

Do you really think it's surprising people are desperate and impatient? If its taking 3+ months to get Orion game ready again, and 4/5+ months for basic gametypes to make it into the game, should we really expect something like that to happen within a month?

I'd take a disclaimer and broken maps to play on something fresh over waiting God knows how long for a lengthy internal test period.

Yeah some people are moaning a lot, and yes game development is an ongoing, challenging process but peoples concerns aren't entirely without merit.

I really do find it surprising, past Halo's launched with roughly the same or less maps, and most of them were shit. The game needs a social slayer list, but other than that, I can't knock the way the game launched. Lacking modes, sure, but what's in the game is superb, and I can't say that about a single past Halo game in its launch state, gameplay wise.

Maybe you would take it, but first impressions matter a lot, and as I've said, I doubt 343 wants people to go into a Forge playlist, not look at a disclaimer, and have a shit experience, and never come back.

It is very likely that by the end of February, there will be a Forge playlist, and a lot of classic gametypes back, on top of 2 more free maps. I'm just curious where these expectations come from when in past Halo games, you had to wait forever for a damn fusion coil to get removed on Valhalla, like c'mon dudes.

BraXzy

Maybe you would take it, but first impressions matter a lot, and as I've said, I doubt 343 wants people to go into a Forge playlist, not look at a disclaimer, and have a shit experience, and never come back.

You're probably right, I just wish things weren't always "coming soon". I love the game too and don't want it to die as releases this year ramp up.

In other news, this was by far our fastest round of Breakout tonight: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/BraXzyy/video/14033693

Don't let funknown in. He wears dirty socks.
b-but.. ;'[
Impatience over the same dance with every game. We have no dates to look forward to, just "soon" and the same dodging we always see. Explain to me how they haven't had not enough time to throw a few maps together in a single social playlist that's promoted as a BONDING experience between dev/community. And if you can't reasonably explain that,
apologist confirmed.

EDIT: Mind you, it's not just unwarranted complaining that's going on here. There are opportunities that 343 has missed out on, and continue to pass up that could really improve Halo in general.
No where have I excused the lack of a social playlist, plz funk.
I was criticizing your point on how you think we'd get a playlist that's substantially improved by making us wait this long. They might as well have given us the playlist 3 weeks ago when we already had a good amount of solid maps that were being tested by the community.

Ramirez

b-but.. ;'[

Impatience over the same dance with every game. We have no dates to look forward to, just "soon" and the same dodging we always see. Explain to me how they haven't had not enough time to throw a few maps together in a single social playlist that's promoted as a BONDING experience between dev/community. And if you can't reasonably explain that,
apologist confirmed.

No where have I excused the lack of a social playlist, plz funk.

Strider

Impatience over the same dance with every game. We have no dates to look forward to, just "soon" and the same dodging we always see. Explain to me how they haven't had not enough time to throw a few maps together in a single social playlist that's promoted as a BONDING experience between dev/community. .

lack of a proper social playlist has been my #1 complaint and I've mentioned it multiple times in this thread... For example click here. Some of the complaining is warranted for sure. I've had my fair share...

I'm just saying it's not all doom and gloom like some posters here lead on either...

Don't get me wrong, option A is preferable to option B, which splinters the community by default. But in order for option A to work, the developer must 1) convince people to make the initial purchase 2) convince some people to spend a lot of extra money and/or convince a many people to spend a little extra money and 3) produce content that makes people want to continue to spend and play

In short, there's a need for solid EXECUTION. That's where 343i has failed. 1) the poor single player campaign, the lack of split screen, the initial lack of BTB and Forge, the lack of firefight and the skimpy MP content has dissuaded many Halo fans from making the initial purchase. 2) while req investment was initially high, the continued lack of content has been turning people away. People aren't going to invest more money in a game they aren't playing. 3) the content that 343i has produced so far has been lack luster... maps that reuse the same play spaces over and over is not the type of content that keeps people playing, or encourage people who left to return.

So while the business model has promise, 343i's poor execution will prevent the model from being successful, unless they show more effort and urgency with regards to providing FRESH, NEW, and VARIED experiences.

Seriously, had Halo5 MP launched with a fully featured MP suite AND given us quality DLC (instead of buggy forged maps, and copy and pasted dev maps), this business model would be the industry darling right now. Instead, we've got a mediocre proof of concept.

You have data and metric thresholds for what is a success vs a failure in terms of player retention, money spend of reqs, cadence and type of content required to sustain and satisfy a player base over various periods of time?

Poster#1

Great posts.

I think this game has the best gameplay since Halo 2, but man everything around it just sour the experience. The maps aren't good, new maps are just remixes, Game modes that are essential to a Halo game are absent and the list just goes on.

Despite forge maps being ugly, they play million times better than what 343 have produced. The whole situation is puzzling.

If you aren't strapped for cash, it isn't a rip off, and you think you will use it for a considerable amount of time. I say go for it. An amazing, quality piece of kit.

I can easily afford it for sure but I'm not sure how I can use it since I only play Halo on Xbox right now... But if everything on it works for PC, then maybe that'll be useful.

Ramirez

Great posts.

I think this game has the best gameplay since Halo 2, but man everything around it just sour the experience. The maps aren't good, new maps are just remixes, Game modes that are essential to a Halo game are absent and the list just goes on.

Despite forge maps being ugly, they play million times better than what 343 have produced. The whole situation is puzzling.

New maps being "just remixes" is a silly complaint when it's been well known that's what was coming and they all play nothing like the original.

No clue how this happened, but I'm ok with it.

http://xboxclips.com/TJ+Ram/71dba7f0-5e16-4caf-a448-ee1c5ccb658a

jfoul

I wish 343i didn't waste resources on Warzone Assault. The game-type was already pretty bad at release, now it's even worse because It's usually filled with REQ farmers. Either full groups against solo players, or people mostly idle to get the req points in a fast loss. In roughly 6 minutes you get 1200 req points in a loss, and 1300+ in a win that can also be 6 minutes or less. Hey, at least it's good for working on weapon commendations.

Trup1aya

You have data and metric thresholds for what is a success vs a failure in terms of player retention, money spend of reqs, cadence and type of content required to sustain and satisfy a player base over various periods of time?

I don't understand why I need any of that. It's common knowledge that success of microtransactions based model depends on a high population.

I can infer that their playerbase is shrinking because their are regions that can't even get matches in some gametypes due to population. And because it's possible to compare halo5's place on the most played list to games that have population counters.

I can infer that a shrinking population will lead to fewer people buying Reqs and/or fewer Reqs being sold. That's just basic statistics.

I know that Overgrowth is objectively bad, as are Orion and Pegasus, and I know that many of the Forge maps are easily exploitable, and that such exploits generally aren't fun to fall victim to.

I know that the Warzone assault maps, are just Warzone maps cut in half, and that the majority of the time spent in these modes is spent fighting for bases that are identical across all maps.

I can say with confidence that having more gamemodes, particularly those that have been a part of the franchise for a long time, but are STILL inexplicably from Halo 5 would have had a positive impact on the games adoption and sustainment...

So no I don't know just how EXACTLY unsuccessful 343is execution is. But I can say with confidence that the game didn't sell as well at launch as can be expected for a Halo titled, and that player count has been falling as of late, and that there is general displeasure with the quality content that has been released so far, which doesn't bode well for sustainment or Req profits.

IHaveIce

Banned
Another day, another day to mention how shit Overgrowth is.

When will this finally be fixed? Do we have to wait till the June update? I mean 343 doesn't seem like they are the fastest

Edit: Oh yeah I won't play on that map anymore, fuck quit bans, it is worth it

jem0208

Another day, another day to mention how shit Overgrowth is.

When will this finally be fixed? Do we have to wait till the June update? I mean 343 doesn't seem like they are the fastest

Edit: Oh yeah I won't play on that map anymore, fuck quit bans, it is worth it

If they were to remove shotgun, sword and camo it would actually be not terrible. It wouldn't be great but it wouldn't be that bad.

It's also surprisingly pretty good for SWAT.

Atomic and Funknown

Me and Hyper just did a purge two days ago, and filled back up straight away with active members.

I'll check again tonight, but you might have to wait a couple more months pending member activity.

Please direct your vitriol towards mod Tawpgun, he has trained to handle requests and issue PR statement on behalf of HGSC.

IHaveIce

Banned
If they were to remove shotgun, sword and camo it would actually be not terrible. It wouldn't be great but it wouldn't be that bad.

It's also surprisingly pretty good for SWAT.

Even then it would be nade spam on every counter and sprint spartan charge towards all. IDK I think I would like to try oddball on it.

edit: Is Tawpgun nowadays at least allowed to drink in the US? Don't want to be modded by some youngling

lack of a proper social playlist has been my #1 complaint and I've mentioned it multiple times in this thread... For example click here. Some of the complaining is warranted for sure. I've had my fair share...

I'm just saying it's not all doom and gloom like some posters here lead on either...

it's kind of a shame you feel forced to defend your position at all in the face of all this unwarranted pessimism.

funknown's tone seems to imply that unless you're constantly & consistently attacking 343, you're doing it wrong.

I, personally, would not want to make games for people like that.

jem0208

Even then it would be nade spam on every counter and sprint spartan charge towards all. IDK I think I would like to try oddball on it.

edit: Is Tawpgun nowadays at least allowed to drink in the US? Don't want to be modded by some youngling
Not saying it would be good, just that it wouldn't be that bad anymore.

Overgrowth is one of the worst map I've ever played in an Halo game

Well thats an overstatement. It's definitely bad but it doesn't get down to the lowest of the lows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom