• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

I feel he is rarely on point with his Halo critics, he does make a good pun here and there, but he somewhat not as funny as before. He did admit in Halo 3 critic review that he never played any Halo before and He doesn't care about Multiplayer.

It's more weird because he gave Halo 4 an uncharacteristically good review with its focus on Chief and Cortana, but then goes back to calling them historically nonentities in this one.

Zeta Oni

Care little about how they look, anybody mind sharing how they actually play?

Just want the maps to function well, and make use of the newer mobility options. Thats all I need.

Trup1aya

I'm glad this BTB maps seem to play well, but launching this beloved new mode exclusively with forge maps seems rather unceremonious.

Would have made more sense IMO to launch with awesome dev made maps, then coincide the launch of these 4 maps with the launch of Forge.

Obscured

Most of my BTB matches have been objective which is cool. I just wish more people knew how to play the objective.

Mentioned in the other thread but looks like that one dropped off, but I like the look of these maps, very clean. It gives me a Halo CE vibe.

Memories of spawning outside on Standoff came back to me quickly as well.

Caja 117

It's more weird because he gave Halo 4 an uncharacteristically good review with its focus on Chief and Cortana, but then goes back to calling them historically nonentities in this one.

He is somewhat like a John Oliver of video game, a less funny John Oliver, he has some good point about the problems of the industry in general, but when it comes to the games, a lot of times is just full of puns, is like one of his most funny reviews, the Demon Souls one, he killed that game, but then He made a Dark Souls one were he praised it.

Zeta Oni

2 of 4 suck so far in my opinion

Yes, but why?

Terrible spawns?
Lack of routes?
Shitty chokepoints?
Side advantage?
Vehicle balance?
Lack of ability options?
BR Starts?

And the ones you do like, why do you like them?

If I was with some other chick and someone happened to see
And when you asked me about it I said it wasn't me
Would you believe me or up and leave me?

shoreu

Yes, but why?

Terrible spawns?
Lack of routes?
Shitty chokepoints?
Side advantage?
Vehicle balance?
Lack of ability options?
BR Starts?

And the ones you do like, why do you like them?

If I was with some other chick and someone happened to see
And when you asked me about it I said it wasn't me
Would you believe me or up and leave me?

Strongholds makes them not fun to play I enjoy ?CTF and Slayer on all of them.

poor spawns is a really big issue though.

Damn its like Halo 5 is a whole new game! I think Ill be spending a lot more time in BTB than Arena slayer..I feel like I'm having way more fun, and the pressure is off even though its still ranked. While they do look kinda plain, the forge maps play very well..Hydra+BTB is the perfect match for hilarious lock on kills.

pieface

Just had my first game on the Headlong remake. Had absolutely no idea where I was most of the time. Partly due to not playing that match for ages and partly due to the horrible textures. Is a good remake though, plays well, just looks terrible.

I thought 1 was original. Plus successors to Headlong, Standoff, and Longbow.
the other one seems to be inspired by Valhalla. It has a building in the middle and some other notable differences but it's definitely similar to Valhalla. I think 343 even said it was during an episode of the sprint.

After playing BTB for a few hours, playing a match of assault is super quick it's rather upsetting, just as you get into a rythem it's all over.

Sai

So, I'm in the middle of a Slayer match in BTB, and juices sends me an invite. I die moments after and take the opportunity during the respawn to send him a message to let him know I'm willing to join up after this game, and the dashboard just freezes up on me right in the middle of me.complain' it. Halo 5 is still running in the background, but I can't seem to get back to it.

Gotta hard reset, I guess. Weird glitch...

Oh, and about the forge maps: I appreciate the work that the cartographers went through to recreate these classic maps, but I'm still underwhelmed by how they look. It's a bit jarring, honestly. I do look forward to seeing some smaller, more polished, and original arena-sized content once Forge launches proper next month.

Madness

Fucking kiss my ass putting Join in Progress for a ranked gametype. Was put into a 16 Vs 40 big team battle match my first match.

Why the FUCK can I not pick an option to wait an extra ten minutes finding a match if it means I find a match that I can play from the start and not one where half the team has quit and we're losing badly and the other team has all the vehicles on the shitty standoff Forge map? Fuck man. Always one step forward, two steps back.

Glass

Just played on Headlong, map looks great imo. Also I think Guillotine would look good with the darker base colour seen on the Valhalla remake, that's a sexy shade.

But are we gonna get 343 made BTB maps in the future?

Realistically, yes. I only think they used forge as the first maps is because of the forge update incoming in december. I'm judging from how they wanted to show the fans tthey cared about forge community when they invited those popular forge map creators to build the bas maps of the 4 we have today.

Then used those set peices and spiced them up a bit to work in the halo 5 sandbox. Like weapon placement, spawning, art, etc. I doubt they will onlycontinue to use forge, the tool they aren't most familiar with, to create new 'map pack' content. Sure they can use it, but it really is a tool for the community, not for dev's to strictly use when expected to sustain an audience.

From day one, everyone has kind of agreed that they don't want forge as the main provider for new dlc maps. 343i hawk this thread and i bet they are reading this comment and eating a cookie thinking, this Samurai guy has no fucking idea what he is talking about.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

Realistically, yes. I only think they used forge as the first maps is because of the forge update incoming in december. I'm judging from how they wanted to show the fans tthey cared about forge community when they invited those popular forge map creators to build the bas maps of the 4 we have today.

Then used those set peices and spiced them up a bit to work in the halo 5 sandbox. Like weapon placement, spawning, art, etc. I doubt they will onlycontinue to use forge, the tool they aren't most familiar with, to create new 'map pack' content. Sure they can use it, but it really is a tool for the community, not for dev's to strictly use when expected to sustain an audience.

From day one, everyone has kind of agreed that they don't want forge as the main provider for new dlc maps. 343i hawk this thread and i bet they are reading this comment and eating a cookie thinking, this Samurai guy has no fucking idea what he is talking about.

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

Forge is considered DLC maps now? How does that even make any sense? We would have gotten those maps one way or another by those community members once forge releases. So they go to 343 for a few days to create maps and suddenly this is considered DLC? Man, this really upsets me. 343 shouldnt call this "free DLC" when its forge maps that weve always gotten for free to begin with!! Jesus fuck...

matthieuC

Okay we are dealing with crazy people now

I'm out
....Reach forge had really nice pieces if you knew how to coordinate. I'm definitely not crazy. I've been an avid forger for 7 years and have built many popular maps, namely in Reach.

I'm not saying the tools in reach were better as they were not.

Madness

Joining into progress for my first match in a ranked gametype, being so far down and such a shitshow match, I just turned off console. Don't have time to deal with this stupidity. If you're going to add JiP because you still haven't found a meaningful way to penalize or prevent quitters, give me the toggle option to prioritize fair start matches or join in Progress fast matches. Especially for a fucking ranked game type. Why even have ranks for BTB if you're doing this?

It pains me to hear that Headlong, the greatest map in the history of Halo, looks awful visually :(
It doesn't look bad at all. It's a forge map, but it's pretty impressive jist how good it looks for a forge map. In any other Halo game it would look like a grey box, but it actually has some character in Halo 5. Maybe I'm just crazy, but I think the more minimalistic pieces in Halo 5's forge are better than the ones used in Halo Reach and Halo 4, especially for recreating a map like Headlong.

It plays good though. It's probably the best map in the playlist. That's the important part.

Joining into progress for my first match in a ranked gametype, being so far down and such a shitshow match, I just turned off console. Don't have time to deal with this stupidity. If you're going to add JiP because you still haven't found a meaningful way to penalize or prevent quitters, give me the toggle option to prioritize fair start matches or join in Progress fast matches. Especially for a fucking ranked game type. Why even have ranks for BTB if you're doing this?
Halo is dead again. Madness confirmed.

Forge is considered DLC maps now? How does that even make any sense? We would have gotten those maps one way or another by those community members once forge releases. So they go to 343 for a few days to create maps and suddenly this is considered DLC? Man, this really upsets me. 343 shouldnt call this "free DLC" when its forge maps that weve always gotten for free to begin with!! Jesus fuck...

I'm mainly assuming since they are hum about this being part of the count for the 18+ maps they are going to include for free. I could be totally wrong, hence my last sentence shitting on my guestimation.

I'm mainly assuming since they are hum about this being part of the count for the 18+ maps they are going to include for free. I could be totally wrong, hence my last sentence shitting on my guestimation.

And i totally agree with you, they havent said shit about this which means exactly what you said. This is part of the "free dlc" bullshit. What a crock of shit. Its as if they wanna drive people away to other games.

Sai

Okay! Reset the Xbox and tried to send another message only to be met with the same glitch! Is this an NXE thing? Anybody else experiencing lock-ups when sending text messages?

Jesus, I won't be able to have fun in BTB will I? I'll be too distracted by everyone complaining about how ugly the maps are. Goddamnit. Fucking ugly Forge fucking maps fuck. I'm depressed already.

And you know we're just gonna get more full art Warzone maps to push REQs instead of BTB maps we can be excited about.

Looking forward to Halo 6!

I am really dissapointed they are all Forge maps. I probably would be less dissapointed if Forge maps weren't in Arena already. It's to soon for that. I don't mind the microtransaction model and think the free maps are great but there have to be a lot more than have been announced.

Sephzilla

It doesn't look bad at all. It's a forge map, but it's pretty impressive jist how good it looks for a forge map. In any other Halo game it would look like a grey box, but it actually has some character in Halo 5. Maybe I'm just crazy, but I think the more minimalistic pieces in Halo 5's forge are better than the ones used in Halo Reach and Halo 4, especially for recreating a map like Headlong.

It plays good though. It's probably the best map in the playlist. That's the important part.

Well if it didn't play good it wouldn't be Headlong :p

(I basically have a nerd boner for that map. IMHO it's the most perfect map Bungie ever made. It's a map that works for almost everything)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom