• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysteryM

What were you thinking, 343?!?!?!? You should have consulted MysteryM first and foremost. Sheesh! Always dropping the ball, 343.

No. 6b is a large patch, whereas they can't control when the patch is to be deployed logistically due to it being rolled out based on a schedule, communicating earlier that it is to be rolled out would have meant that I could have downloaded it.

My fibre connection runs at 4MB per sec, however at around 7pm GMT last night the xbox live patch download speeds dropped to less than 0.5MB per sec, only picking back up again after 8:30pm.

I had finally download the patch by 9pm. Now, if I knew the patch was going to land a little earlier I could have switched my console on and kicked it off, rather than trying so at 7pm.

So yes, I lost a nights worth of halo gaming because of a large patch that I didn't know was coming.

Akai__

I think there is. I'm not "good" enough to aim consistently at ten sensitivity.

It's something you can get used to. I did the switch in late 2009 and it took me a campaign playthrough plus several custom games. My skill didn't suddenly drop, like the poster I quoted indicated. His statement is just wrong.

I would argue that a player who can control a high sensitivity has an advantage in that he can turn around quicker etc

So a player who can control sensitivity 10 should do better than a player who is just as good but only using sensitivity 3.

In something like snipes a high sensitivity helps a lot - but take what I say with a pinch of salt - I tend to play on maybe just slightly above default - not for an advantage but only because halo 5's default feels extremely sluggish and unresponsive to me

That is absolutely correct. I don't get assassinated or backsmacked as much and I also can get more than shot off, when I turn arround. I wouldn't count that as your own skill, though. The game is giving you the means to turn arround quicker, which doesn't mean that people will take advantage of that. Skill, in this case would be player awareness.

My problem is that he basically said that people who play on 10 are Gold-Platinum players which isn't even true in the slightest. Sensitivity is personal preference and players of all kind can be equally good (or bad) on any sensitivity level.

My problem is that he basically said that people who play on 10 are Gold-Platinum players which isn't even true in the slightest. Sensitivity is personal preference and players of all kind can be equally good (or bad) on any sensitivity level.

True. The majority of the best Halo players in the world play between 3-6.

I stuck with aim speed 3 but I still over aim because of the dramatic aim acceleration, the cursor shoots off in a direction the moment you touch the stick it's really hard to make small adjustments, it really makes me want to change the stick profile but I have no pro controller, nor can I afford one.

Sorry to change the subject, and I know it has been said before, but the map and playlist rotation are terrible in this game. It's my only complaint but I've yet to play slayer and I've played basin 6 out of 8 games either strongholds or CTF.

Only had time for one BTB match so far, got Slayer on Headlong and we slaughtered the other team. It's quite incredible how accurate the geometry is considering it was made in Forge (and how well it plays with spartan abilities) but I hope NOKYARD is right about texture packs because that's the main problem holding this thing back at the moment. Doesn't have to be fancy textures, just something to give the building interiors and exteriors a bit more character. I actually really like the Halo 5 graphics in general but it's hard to defend this.

It's pretty cool that Recurve is built entirely on custom ground (as evident from that video exploring the Tundra canvas), it seems like this iteration of Forge will finally surpass the Far Cry level editor completely. Like pretty much everything else in Halo 5, this is super impressive stuff that is unfortunately slightly hampered by a lack of polish and content in some areas. Again I hope they continue to make meaningful updates for quite a while after release, because this game with the content, features and polish of Reach would consume my life for a long time.

Still, I am very impressed with what 343i have done so far regardless. They've clearly spent a lot of time on refining the core gameplay and systems, and even if Halo 5 never reaches feature parity with Reach it is already a better game IMO, and should set them up for creating something amazing with Halo 6.

Sorry to change the subject, and I know it has been said before, but the map and playlist rotation are terrible in this game. It's my only complaint but I've yet to play slayer and I've played basin 6 out of 8 games either strongholds or CTF.
I've yet to play Recurve, which really cheeses me off, as it seems like the best one of the bunch to me just in terms of tooting around in a private lobby. Vast majority of games are Basin. Played Guillotine all of once, Deadlock twice. Vast majority of the games have been Slayer, which is unfortunate.

Sidebar: I really don't get the hate for Deadlock in this thread. Standoff was one of my favorite BTB maps from Halo 3. To see it recreated so faithfully is really cool. Of the bunch it definitely looks the most like a map that 343 could've actually designed. The designer masked it's forge-ness really well. The only real issue is the spawning, but that can be fixed. Beyond that I honestly don't see the problem.

Akai__

True. The majority of the best Halo players in the world play between 3-6.

Pro Players are not good because of their aim sensitivity. They are good, because their map/player awareness and tactical decisions is through the roof. Their communication is also better than 90% of all players arround the world. Pro players can also drop -10 from time to time and still win the game, because they did the onjective part or had 22 assists. It's a completely different level of playing.

I've yet to play Recurve, which really cheeses me off, as it seems like the best one of the bunch to me just in terms of tooting around in a private lobby. Vast majority of games are Basin. Played Guillotine all of once, Deadlock twice. Vast majority of the games have been Slayer, which is unfortunate.

Sidebar: I really don't get the hate for Deadlock in this thread. Standoff was one of my favorite BTB maps from Halo 3. To see it recreated so faithfully is really cool. Of the bunch it definitely looks the most like a map that 343 could've actually designed. The designer masked it's forge-ness really well. The only real issue is the spawning, but that can be fixed. Beyond that I honestly don't see the problem.

Recurve is absolutely the worst.

343 why not put a Killzone in any base (except the home base) that an opposing team tries to take over before the first initial base in Warzone Assault? Once the first base is captured the Killzone lifts..

I like Warzone so long as I have a good party of friends to play with but if not that chance of winning is so much lower and it's a grinding and cringing experience until your team loses. Assault is the opposite, imo.

Pro Players are not good because of their aim sensitivity. They are good, because their map/player awareness and tactical decisions is through the roof. Their communication is also better than 90% of all players arround the world. Pro players can also drop -10 from time to time and still win the game, because they did the onjective part or had 22 assists. It's a completely different level of playing.

Oh i agree... but they are also better than the vast majority of online players when it comes to accuracy, precision and right stick control. They play at what suits them and the game the best... just so happens to be middle of the road the most time.

Trup1aya

They also land a high percentage of their shots. They can do that adequately without bumping up there sensitivities.

I was able to get a game of BTB in before work this morning, Definitely felt good. While this has been said by others these forge maps (and the ones in arena), when compared to purpose built maps by the 343i team, are not attractive. I love that the update and maps were free, I just hope that most of the free maps we'll be getting are "real" maps and not "forge" maps. For reasons not solely based on aesthetics, Pegasus is the only arena map I dislike.

Naked Lunch

BTB CTF is still the best thing about Halo, and one of the best things about multiplayer gaming period. They did a damn good job with it on H5. The core flag rules are just perfect (not showing the flag carrier until spotted, only able to cap when your flag is returned to base being the main changes from 4). 343 redeemed themselves here because the flag rules in H4 were my most despised feature of that game.

The BTB maps are generally butt ugly but in this case it is all about the gameplay - which is the best this series has ever seen, making the graphics pretty much irrelevant. The look of the maps remind me of playing on custom maps on some old Half life engine game, like team Fortress. Once mappers get the tools we should have quite a lineup in the future.

I love that BTB has JiP because every single game i played yesterday had multiple quitters and the spot was refilled instantly - every single game. If it didnt have JiP, the games would have been lopsided wastes of time. I also love that there is no map voting. Every map will get played eventually rather than the community picking the same damn thing over and over. 343 really listened to reason with these decisions and not the crazed loud Halo forum crowd who are against a lot of this stuff.

So, double exp in black ops 3 this weekend and it runs from Thursday - monday.

I know special weekends are rarer in Cod but all the same I think the extra days are great as it gives those of us in the uk more time to get games in And those of us who may have busy weekends more days to try modes out

Totally wish 343 would go back to what bungie did - im pretty sure their double exp weekends where Thursday to monday too

Fuchsdh

I can't help but think it looks like something from team fortress 2 and that makes me like it even more haha. Headlong was GOAT for me for the longest, and playing on Guillotine is a great reminder as to why.

Yeah while it'd be awesome if the Forge maps were more polished/shiny in regards to things like LoD and shadows, I honestly love the aesthetic. Looking forward to the awesome-looking stuff we're going to get once Forge launches. Got a lot of maps I want to rework.

Hopefully the Forge update comes with some of the missing game types, though. Kinda' weird they didn't include Ricochet even though it was undoubtably the best game mode in 4.

I have to say, i was pretty critical about forge only maps being in BTB and i still feel that way but i will say, (even though ive only managed to play 2 of em in about 2 hours) those community members did a good job on them. Kutos.

BTB CTF is still the best thing about Halo, and one of the best things about multiplayer gaming period. They did a damn good job with it on H5. The core flag rules are just perfect (not showing the flag carrier until spotted, only able to cap when your flag is returned to base being the main changes from 4). 343 redeemed themselves here because the flag rules in H4 were my most despised feature of that game.

The BTB maps are generally butt ugly but in this case it is all about the gameplay - which is the best this series has ever seen, making the graphics pretty much irrelevant. The look of the maps remind me of playing on custom maps on some old Half life engine game, like team Fortress. Once mappers get the tools we should have quite a lineup in the future.

I love that BTB has JiP because every single game i played yesterday had multiple quitters and the spot was refilled instantly - every single game. If it didnt have JiP, the games would have been lopsided wastes of time. I also love that there is no map voting. Every map will get played eventually rather than the community picking the same damn thing over and over. 343 really listened to reason with these decisions and not the crazed loud Halo forum crowd who are against a lot of this stuff.

BTB CTF is handled so well in H5. Had a damn blast last night. I even changed my mind on how I feel about Strongholds also... Works really well in a BTB playlist.

JiP and BR starts are both a very welcome thing also. Quitters are always going to quit so having the spots refilled (and quite quickly) is great.

as much as i love BTB, the lack of gametypes is still just a huge sour point for me.

oddball, ricochet, so much more....i just hope they are coming sooner rather than later.

I really have to add that if they want the community to 'sustain', they have to think outside the box and provide more than what the previous halo's have. Sure we got Warzone, but we may require more. As in playlists, gametypes, and other forms of community interactment. Especially Firefight 2.0. There is great potential for this game to really have it all with iciing on top and icecream on the side. mmmmmmmm iceream cake. mmmmmmm. now i really want some icecream cake from DQ. idk which flavor, but i want some.

:p
Wait, am i acting spoiled?

I don't know how you launch a Headlong map and don't get 1 Flag ready as well, really dropped the ball on that.

Aye, it's a bit odd. I've not checked the CTF settings, can you create a 1 Flag deal with the current toggles and that?

If Forge comes with proper Game Mode expansion, then hollaaaaa. You'd think this would be an obvious win-win...

as much as i love BTB, the lack of gametypes is still just a huge sour point for me.

oddball, ricochet, so much more....i just hope they are coming sooner rather than later.

Assault, Juggernaut, whyd they remove them?? I dont like these decisions. Whoever is making them i feel like maybe he shouldnt be the guy/girl making them.

Assault, Juggernaut, whyd they remove them?? I dont like these decisions. Whoever is making them i feel like maybe he shouldnt be the guy/girl making them.

idk if it cause they just focused on getting the core experience perfect before release or ran out of time.

I love their post launch support right now I really do, but I wish it was more "we're adding new things" instead of "we're adding things you expected to be there in the first place"

im hoping really, really, really hard that its cause of forge, and when forge launches we'll get our gametypes and an awesome in game fileshare. something tells me ill be disappointed.

idk if it cause they just focused on getting the core experience perfect before release or ran out of time.

I love their post launch support right now I really do, but I wish it was more "we're adding new things" instead of "we're adding things you expected to be there in the first place"

im hoping really, really, really hard that its cause of forge, and when forge launches we'll get our gametypes and an awesome in game fileshare. something tells me ill be disappointed.

Boom. Exactly. Shit the Halo players have come to expect on day one are not "acceptable" because they're going to be added sometime in the first year presumably. C'mon 343i.

Bungie always managed to give us all that and still gave us more after launch. How is 343 still not able on their second official game? How complicated it is to create an assault gametype, or juggernaut? The community manage to create some in hours in forge and 343 somehow cant find the time? I dont get it.

To be quite frank, the only ones I am missing are KOTH and possibly Oddball, and even then I'd rather play CTF. Juggernaut only works in FFA, which I never play, and Richochet was alright I guess.

But still, options are good. Moar options please.

Oh, and Assault should come back.

Bungie always managed to give us all that and still gave us more after launch. How is 343 still not able on their second official game? How complicated it is to create an assault gametype, or juggernaut? The community manage to create some in hours in forge and 343 somehow cant find the time? I dont get it.

They launched H4 with many, many more game types. This isn't a 'still', it's a weird regression.

Welfare

Current HCS prize pool is now $1.7m plus some more info on the event in the link.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/halo-championship-series

Sweet asf HCS skins

hcs_comp-red-chop-628b71941cbd4de3ae68b10aebceba65.png

Frankly I'm extremely disappointed by the lack of game modes. Slayer is literally perfect and I enjoy CTF and Strongholds... But cycling between the three gets extremely boring. We need more and the fact that they weren't present at launch and still aren't present irks me.

Caja 117

Only got to play 2 BTB matches, so far it was good fun, hope i can repeat tonight.

Does anyone knows when the rank reset are supposse to happen?

Haines

Banned
I reallly like btb, but i wish i could pick say ctf or something.

Right stick as the long one on elite controller feels amazing so far. Just normal sensitivity at 3 and the elite setting at normal as well. Maybe bump it to 4 in the future.

Anyways this controller feels built for halo. I have jump/reload on lef paddles now and melee and boost on the right ones, only thing i gotta move fingers for is nades and weapon switch which is totally fine with me i think.

Haines

Banned
Frankly I'm extremely disappointed by the lack of game modes. Slayer is literally perfect and I enjoy CTF and Strongholds... But cycling between the three gets extremely boring. We need more and the fact that they weren't present and launch and still aren't present irks me.

Ive seen this a lot. I find way more than enough modes in the game. What mode is it that they would add to make you happy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom