• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly I'm extremely disappointed by the lack of game modes. Slayer is literally perfect and I enjoy CTF and Strongholds... But cycling between the three gets extremely boring. We need more and the fact that they weren't present and launch and still aren't present irks me.

I think 343 need to realize just like disney will with star wars, is that they dont have a 100% carte blanche just because they get to work on it now. I understand that 343 want to bring their "vision" to halo but they also need to understand once and for all that there's an expectation that doesnt just go away just because theyre not bungie. They dont get to just change shit weve been used to for 15 years and expect it to go over well. Like removing stuff that was there before like the deep customization options and gametypes.

I think 343 need to realize just like disney will with star wars, is that they dont have a 100% carte blanche just because they get to work on it now. I understand that 343 want to bring their "vision" to halo but they also need to understand once and for all that there's an expectation that doesnt just go away just because theyre not bungie. They dont get to just change shit weve been used to for 15 years and expect it to go over well. Like removing stuff that was there before like the deep customization options and gametypes.

well its not like they replaced oddball with their vision of oddball or something.

theres like, 3 gametypes.

thats not putting their vision into halo thats just missing content

Current HCS prize pool is now $1.7m plus some more info on the event in the link.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/halo-championship-series

Sweet asf HCS skins

I love the weapon skins, but I do wish that they'd picked a set other than Athlon.

EDIT: And yeah, now that BTB is in, the need for new gametypes has to come to the front. Oddball, Assault, Infection, Ricochet (not exactly a classic, I know, but a ton of fun), Griffball, KOTH, Juggernaut... all musts, all missing. Hopefully part of the Forge update.

Well I was never a very big fan of gametypes koth and oddball it does feel like a piece of halo is missing without these. Same goes for 4v4 1 flag CTF on Zanzibar...

They should consider forging some traditional maps and including some traditional modes and locking it away in a traditional Playlist.

Glass

Oof that prizepool increase. Thanks Speedy Blue Dude!

Wonder how we get those skins. Would be great if the main teams competing (or the overall winner) gets their team colours/look made into a skin which they automatically get and others can open randomly in REQ packs.

Oof that prizepool increase. Thanks Speedy Blue Dude!

Wonder how we get those skins. Would be great if the main teams competing (or the overall winner) gets their team colours/look made into a skin which they automatically get and others can open randomly in REQ packs.

im guessing they'll have a promotional HCS req pack for purchase to up the prize pool

Well, i am. Thats why i asked.

Is there any promise of that content coming?

No. No communication at all. It's fucking awful.

Well I was never a very big fan of gametypes koth and oddball it does feel like a piece of halo is missing without these. Same goes for 4v4 1 flag CTF on Zanzibar...

They should consider forging some traditional maps and including some traditional modes and locking it away in a traditional Playlist.

Ooh someone better make a faithful Zanzibar remake! Maybe an upscale to account for new movement.

No explicit promise, I don't think. But I haven't exactly been trawling the 'net for 343 posts. Anybody seen anything? Even something super vague like "we hear you, and we're considering options?"

No explicit promise, I don't think. But I haven't exactly been trawling the 'net for 343 posts. Anybody seen anything? Even something super vague like "we hear you, and we're considering options?"

Not that ive seen. Which is weird. Some issues they are extremely communicative about.

except game modes. which terrifies me.

Here's what I'd like to see from 343:

More transparency.

I know that all the Halo classic gametypes are coming. People shouldn't be concerned, but when 343 don't mention they ARE coming, concern is warranted.

I would love for Brav to mention that yes, classic modes are coming. I'd like to hear that yes, BTB in-house maps that aren't Forge are coming. I'd like to know that sure, we are working on creating custom Warzone variants that support BTB.

Halo 3 and Reach had something for every type of player out there. Halo 5 needs to be like that. I'm not going anywhere, because Arena is my jam, but if it wants a big community of players, offer that community more things to do.

I'm presuming that the Forge update in December will come with a fileshare, because Forge is DOA without it.

Fuchsdh

Here's what I'd like to see from 343:

More transparency.

I know that all the Halo classic gametypes are coming. People shouldn't be concerned, but when 343 don't mention they ARE coming, concern is warranted.

I would love for Brav to mention that yes, classic modes are coming. I'd like to hear that yes, BTB in-house maps that aren't Forge are coming. I'd like to know that sure, we are working on creating custom Warzone variants that support BTB.

Halo 3 and Reach had something for every type of player out there. Halo 5 needs to be like that. I'm not going anywhere, because Arena is my jam, but if it wants a big community of players, offer that community more things to do.

I'm presuming that the Forge update in December will come with a fileshare, because Forge is DOA without it.

Well we've all been banging that drum, and I'm sure that the Forgers who went to 343 did as well, so there's no doubt that the message has been broadcast. What they actually come up with is certainly up in the air.

Zeta Oni

343i: Fileshare? What's that now? Of course!!!

*Available on Waypoint only

The fact that such a defining feature has skipped two mainline titles launches now is a minor gripe of mine with this game.

Edit: Campaign theatre as well. Firefight too.

Well we've all been banging that drum, and I'm sure that the Forgers who went to 343 did as well, so there's no doubt that the message has been broadcast. What they actually come up with is certainly up in the air.

343i: Fileshare? What's that now? Of course!!!

*Available on Waypoint only

The fact that such a defining feature has skipped two mainline titles launches now is a minor gripe of mine with this game.

It's GOT to be there, right?

I mean surely?

Please?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Any chance we'll get single flag CTF? I much, much prefer it to the two-flag system they currently use. Four rounds was best, ala Halo 2 (though, they could end game at three if the first team wins two, but the second team lost their first game).

Played a few games of BTB last night. Hated Slayer just like always. But honestly, the gameplay was MUCH closer to the type of Halo I like. I felt the maps were all the wrong size... new abilities makes closing the gap way too fast, IMO.

Forge is ugly; but it is pretty amazing what they've done with the tools. The community might make some really great stuff.

Loved CTF with vehicles - was the Halo I miss.

Lost five games in a row, though, lol.

JackHerer

After playing maybe 20 games of BTB I am starting to agree with the people asking for pistol starts. The team shot from BRs is insane on some of these maps. To the point of stifling movement excessively.

My only concern is that it would make the sniper even more dominant than it already is.

matthieuC

After playing maybe 20 games of BTB I am starting to agree with the people asking for pistol starts. The team shot from BRs is insane on some of these maps. To the point of stifling movement excessively.

My only concern is that it would make the sniper even more dominant than it already is.
Yup it should be pistol starts IMO. BR is too strong.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

If they tidy up and remove the excessive and abundant power weapon spawns then that would be a lesser issue.

Really get the feeling they don't appreciate the difference between BTB and BTB Heavies.

No direct promise that i've seen; however, there have been mentions on various 343i twitter accounts of updates to Arena modes incoming that it's not as easy as flipping a switch etc. They're working on them thank god... just a huge bummer H5 launched with easily the most barren Arena (i dont could warzone - it's not "core halo") Multiplayer experience of any Halo to date.

BR starts in BTB is a weird decision, especially after the community has gotten used to the new amazing pistol. I hope it is only an experiment.

idk if it cause they just focused on getting the core experience perfect before release or ran out of time.

I love their post launch support right now I really do, but I wish it was more "we're adding new things" instead of "we're adding things you expected to be there in the first place"

im hoping really, really, really hard that its cause of forge, and when forge launches we'll get our gametypes and an awesome in game fileshare. something tells me ill be disappointed.

I share your concerns almost to a T. 343i certainly seems like they have their heads screwed on tight this time. And it's incredible what they've done to the combat sandbox. From all the impressions it sounds fantastic.

That being said, the lack of development resources applied to BTB map development sure is a punch to the gut. I know deep down its because Warzone was a priority and this cycle was also an engine rewrite so we shouldn't see this for Halo 6's launch, but that doesn't change the reality of the present.

I'm hoping they can get Certain Affinity on board for some map development.

BraXzy

Frankie can we please get SOMETHING regarding classic game modes? Any word?

I do wish 343 were a bit more communicative but in a big studio things take time, Bravo posted late yesterday that they'd been in all day meetings discussing stuff so I hope we hear something soon.

As great as the community updates and stuff are, it'd be nice to have smaller, more regular posts that just let us know concerns are heard and things are moving along. Transparency is always going to be a problem with game development though. Promise too much or get a date wrong and people will be more pissed than if you were quiet. But then again, Gief Diretide.

BraXzy

I'm happy with all the modes in the game, but if they made Headhunter on halo 5 It would be perfect to me.

Yessss. I loved headhunter.

I get the reservations 343 have had with initial playlist stuff, if it was overloaded and populations weren't getting people quick matches it'd be bad for the game. But right now the limited modes are doing more harm than good, in Halo 3, I always had something to do regardless of my mood. Now, it's kinda like do I want to try hard in one of three modes, or do I want to maybe kick back in Warzone?

Doesn't excuse the fact the missing modes weren't in custom games though. That I don't get.

I do wish 343 were a bit more communicative but in a big studio things take time, Bravo posted late yesterday that they'd been in all day meetings discussing stuff so I hope we hear something soon.

As great as the community updates and stuff are, it'd be nice to have smaller, more regular posts that just let us know concerns are heard and things are moving along. Transparency is always going to be a problem with game development though. Promise too much or get a date wrong and people will be more pissed than if you were quiet. But then again, Gief Diretide.

Where did he post this? This is good news to me that they are being consistent and actually are listening to feedback. I'm used to companies saying they are listening, but only with one ear, cupped half way while watching baywatch.

BraXzy

Where did he post this? This is good news to me that they are being consistent and actually are listening to feedback. I'm used to companies saying they are listening, but only with one ear, cupped half way while watching baywatch.

"Just wanted to stop by and confirm that we're indeed reviewing your feedback and will be sure to communicate any changes or future plans regarding the BTB playlist in a timely fashion.
p.s. been in all day meetings and cannot wait to jump in with you this evening."

I guess it could be meetings about what colour they are gonna paint the wall in the new studio, but it sounds like they launched it and then had meetings based on feedback and where they're going next.

It'd be cool if Bravo had a GAF account but all the hate threads would probably scare him away, and I wouldn't blame him :L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom