• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glass

I do wonder what the turn around time is for implementing new modes. Are they all in Custom games already? Can you create Infection there already? Did we have weekend playlist voting this week?

Herbs

Banned
"Just wanted to stop by and confirm that we're indeed reviewing your feedback and will be sure to communicate any changes or future plans regarding the BTB playlist in a timely fashion.
p.s. been in all day meetings and cannot wait to jump in with you this evening."

I guess it could be meetings about what colour they are gonna paint the wall in the new studio, but it sounds like they launched it and then had meetings based on feedback and where they're going next.

It'd be cool if Bravo had a GAF account but all the hate threads would probably scare him away, and I wouldn't blame him :L

sweet

Caja 117

Have to agree as well, Halo 5 is really missing those clasic gametypes of Oddball, KoTH and Assault, hopefully we get to see them soon.

BraXzy

I do wonder what the turn around time is for implementing new modes. Are they all in Custom games already? Can you create Infection there already? Did we have weekend playlist voting this week?

I think any mode you can play online is available in customs, nothing more. So there is Shotty Snipes, but not Oddball etc. Need to have a proper look though.

Not seen a vote yet, perhaps BTB will be the double xp playlist this week? Who knows.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
It'd be cool if Bravo had a GAF account but all the hate threads would probably scare him away, and I wouldn't blame him :L

Have you seen the negative poop mountains on Beyond's forums at times? The community minded folks have thick skins thankfully. Anyways, we already have a lot of coverage from 343 folks on GAF.

Would hate it if folks got into their heads that they had to come to GAF and post to try to get a better chance of getting 343's attention or something.

Ryde3

Nope, but CTF, Breakout and Strongholds are.

Ah man, that's a major mis-step imo, KOH, 1-Flag CTF and Assault are Halo staples! Hopefully they're added later.

Is there a GAF Custom Game community yet? Or maybe it will pop up when there's Forge maps to play on?

Sephzilla

KOH has been a thing since Halo 1, a variation of assault was as well. One Flag has been a thing since Halo 2. Why are these not in 5?

Sephzilla

Biggest issue with 1 flag in 2015 is that if the first attacking team captures the flag, the other team quits.

One way I would suggest as a possible fix for this would be to change how one flag scoring goes. Make it "first team to 3 captures" wins instead of "best out of 3 full rounds". That way going down 1-0 after your first defensive round doesn't seem like such a death blow to some. Yeah, this runs the risk of making one flag games longer but I kind of think it kills the incentive for first round quitters.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Have you seen the negative poop mountains on Beyond's forums at times? The community minded folks have thick skins thankfully. Anyways, we already have a lot of coverage from 343 folks on GAF.

Would hate it if folks got into their heads that they had to come to GAF and post to try to get a better chance of getting 343's attention or something.

Brav has a GAF account but he's more of a Reddit guy. You're stuck with me and Frank
un
fortunately.

Welfare

KOH has been a thing since Halo 1, a variation of assault was as well. One Flag has been a thing since Halo 2. Why are these not in 5?

There is no good reason for these gametypes being in the game. Shit this game feels so barebones in gametypes because it is barebones. You can't deny that.

Even Halo 4 had more modes than this game at launch.

Slayer
BTB
Regicide
Oddball
Capture the Flag
Flood
Dominion
Extraction
King of the Hill
SWAT
Grifball
FFA

Halo 5 has

Slayer
BTB*
Capture the Flag
Strongholds
Breakout
SWAT
FFA
Warzone
Warzone Assault

*Post launch

It's inexcusable, and this doesn't include the fact that Halo 4 had Forge and Spartan Ops at launch as well.

There is no good reason for these gametypes being in the game. Shit this game feels so barebones in gametypes because it is barebones. You can't deny that.

It is because they are doing coordinated content drops to maintain interest in the game. If every two weeks something new is added you'll come back week after week. If everything was there day 1 you probably would have steamrolled through all of the content by now.

Welfare

It is because they are doing coordinated content drops to maintain interest in the game. If every two weeks something new is added you'll come back week after week. If everything was there day 1 you probably would have steamrolled through all of the content by now.

Game should be interesting to begin with. This is artificial "interest".

"Oh boy, King of the Hill! Good thing I get to play this months after the game launched because if not, I might of already lost interest in it. Not in no way the games fault for not keeping my interest this long, but the fact that too much at launch might've been bad."

Kill3r7

Halo 5 has

It's inexcusable.

I think 343i learned their lesson with Halo 4. Offering a ton of content from the get go does not assure that you will keep folks playing for months to come. My guess is that 343i wanted to release content on a consistent basis to keep the community coming back for more. Not a bad strategy as long as the new game modes and content deliver. At this point if nothing else you have people showing up for the weekend playlists. The gameplay is engaging enough on its own to warrant playing.

zma1013

I am in need of Halo friends. All my usual friends that do Halo just aren't interested in this one. Is there a Gaf team I can join or if anyone wants to add me the name is ZmaKicksYou.

Fuchsdh

I think 343i learned their lesson with Halo 4. Offering a ton of content from the get go does not assure that you will keep folks playing for months to come. My guess is that 343i wanted to release content on a consistent basis to keep the community coming back for more. Not a bad strategy as long as the new game modes and content deliver. At this point if nothing else you have people showing up for the weekend playlists. The gameplay is engaging enough on its own to warrant playing.

This is true, and something I'd pretty much agree with on the matchmaking side of things, but that's less of an excuse for not including the stuff for customs.

Welfare

But this would only be a thing for playlists. What about custom games? Extraction didn't even get a playlist in Halo 4, but it was still a gametype in customs.

BraXzy

It's clearly a strategy they've spent a lot of time deciding upon, there's a reason for everything they're doing whether we agree with it of not. I just hope they add more and more stuff that will keep the population going, outside of the obvious like more modes and maps.

• Daily challenges
  • Weekly challenges in Arena, Warzone and Campaign.
  • Maybe have a tavern brawl like thing for Weekend Playlists where X amount of games guarantees a Silver pack on top of your RP.
  • Random mini events you could opt in to that are weird, wacky fiesta custom games that may randomly pop up in matchmaking. Opt in since not everyone would be down for that.

Idk what else, maybe have Frank personally come and shake your hand for playing. That might put me off though personally *Kappa*.

Game should be interesting to begin with. This is artificial "interest".

It has been interesting. It also forced people to try Warzone as the new substantial tent pole mode in the game.

Also look back at the MCC's online performance. They are likely using these content drops to maintain a far more measured approach to multiplayer connections as opposed to just opening floodgates where far more things could go wrong.

Remember this is new console and a lot of new tech. When sports games hit new gens often times modes get stripped out and re added as the years go by.

In the end it will be better for the long term community and better connections if they don't use shotgun all modes out to the day 1 userbase. Look at how Destiny has maintained their game via content since launch.

Some of this stuff may simply need more time combined with watching how the MP metrics come back to 343. Better to fix something in what seems like one place than across far more modes and have far more people upset.

Well yes but how in the hell did those not make it in at launch.

No idea. To release later down the line to "keep interest"? It's really, really odd. That's like CoD not launching with Domination and Search and Destroy. But promising that they're working on new multiplayer content/modes. The public would fucking burn buildings if that happened to their precious CoD lol. Us Halo fans are just use to disappointment as of recent years. Which is a shame... because core Halo 5 mechanics and weapon balance etc. is so fucking good.

Haines

Banned
I have no problem with them releasing content over time if it comes with positives like better quality and no issues.

Also it needs to be fast.

Oozer3993

Development time and person-hours are finite. 343 took the calculated risk of dedicating them to polishing the gameplay loop to a brilliant sheen. Trying to get all the old game type standbys in shape for launch would have lead to neglect for something else. I prefer the slow and steady strategy that 343 is using to trying to jam everything in at launch thus short shifting most things. Don't get me wrong. I would love me some 1 flag, BTB at launch, and messing around in Forge. But I prefer a great base and the wonderful people of 343 to have a healthy work/life balance.

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking that because a couple people here mentioned a game type means it's popular with the community at large. We are not a good representative sample. 343 may be holding off on implementing some things because they are not as popular with the community as you may think. Don't forget, while many of us here love CTF, it got trounced in the weekend playlist pole twice in a row.

Euron

Also BTB is 1000x better in 5 than 4 just because of the lack of Plasma Pistol and Sticky spawns.

Seriously who approved of that mess in 4?

Halo 5 has

It's inexcusable, and this doesn't include the fact that Halo 4 had Forge and Spartan Ops at launch as well.

Quality over quantity my freind. From playing the game it looks like 343i spent a ton of time making sure that the modes we got were the most balanced, fun and exciting they could be instead of just throwing a bunch of stuff out there with little concern of balance or enjoyment and hoping something sticks like most games seem to do *cough* destiny *cough*.

Quality over quantity my freind. From playing the game it looks like 343i spent a ton of time making sure that the modes we got were the most balanced, fun and exciting they could be instead of just throwing shit at the fan and hoping something sticks like most games seem to do.

Honestly, I'd imagine that moving stuff over to the Halo 5 sandbox takes some work. Even something simple like KOTH or Juggernaut would require some fine-tuning, at least.

Just... I hope we get some news soon. Tashi, pls. At least a "we're working on it."

You could ask the same question about BTB, given that the maps for BTB are just Forge maps. (Although that obviously seemed to be an attempt to herd people towards Warzone at launch.)

Considering the IAP money that Warzone seems to have made (which is funnelling money toward more game content and prizes) it was a good strategy. Hopefully before Christmas that new Warzone map comes out to get the people who got the game as a present playing with a full Warzone community again.

Played a bit some BTB last evening with friends and the fact that we play with a BR at start is really nice, finally! but the maps are so ugly honestly after to play it's good we enjoyed enough but I still prefer play BTB on MCC for now, better maps, more gametypes etc. But H5 is a bit better…

arimanius

It's clearly a strategy they've spent a lot of time deciding upon, there's a reason for everything they're doing whether we agree with it of not. I just hope they add more and more stuff that will keep the population going, outside of the obvious like more modes and maps.

• Daily challenges
  • Weekly challenges in Arena, Warzone and Campaign.
  • Maybe have a tavern brawl like thing for Weekend Playlists where X amount of games guarantees a Silver pack on top of your RP.
  • Random mini events you could opt in to that are weird, wacky fiesta custom games that may randomly pop up in matchmaking. Opt in since not everyone would be down for that.

Idk what else, maybe have Frank personally come and shake your hand for playing. That might put me off though personally *Kappa*.

This so much this, I would also like to see weekly challenges too. If they would add the above I would be in heaven.

edit. Oops second bullet point was weekly.

The two things I hate about the current forge are:

-The seams where objects go into the ground is completely unnatural, if only there was some tech to auto place grass tuffs and smaller rubble where the rocks merge into the dirt.
-The dirt and grass being completely flat with a basic bump map, no 3D grass anywhere to be seen. maybe some small dirty holes would help give the ground some life.

When I said I wanted the pro pipe to return I never wanted it like this

Peterpan

This is why ranks is attached to the team play, instead of individual stats.

We at a stalemate. I have the flag captured, 1 minute left. My teammate betrays me to take the flag, he ends up getting ambushed by two Spartans, because I dropped the flag when I died and they located him. They then got their flag to home base, they already had our flag.

I prefer it to be attached to the team play, to prevent this type of thing. We still get greedy play, but it will be much worse I feel if everyone got ranked individually.

This is why ranks is attached to the team play, instead of individual stats.

We at a stalemate. I have the flag captured, 1 minute left. My teammate betrays me to take the flag, he ends up getting ambushed by two Spartans, because I dropped the flag when I died and they located him. They then got their flag to home base, they already had our flag.

I prefer it to be attached to the team play, to prevent this type of thing. We still get greedy play, but it will be much worse I feel if everyone got ranked individually.

Team killing for the flag is still a thing? I remember people would fuck me over all the time in halo 2 and 3 doing that.. was it an achivement thing or just assholes?

Triz

I don't understand the randoms in BTB purposefully killing teammates. In 3 of my 10 games last night I had idiots on my team killing me multiple times. Not on accident, full on BR to the head multiple times. Its the first time I had to send negative feedback on players since the One was released.

Y'know, people will probably ridicule me for this but I kind of miss Dominion. It would be nice to have had some more interactivity (automated weapons, manned turrets etc) for the bases in Warzone. Would make sense considering the initial capture points for the teams are called armoires. Also maybe owning one could have had addition weapons or something for your home base, I dunno.

I don't understand the randoms in BTB purposefully killing teammates. In 3 of my 10 games last night I had idiots on my team killing me multiple times. Not on accident, full on BR to the head multiple times. Its the first time I had to send negative feedback on players since the One was released.

Sadly, welcome to the world of griefing assholes and why friendly fire should probably be off all the time

Y'know, people will probably ridicule me for this but I kind of miss Dominion. It would be nice to have had some more interactivity (automated weapons, manned turrets etc) for the bases in Warzone. Would make sense considering the initial capture points for the teams are called armoires. Also maybe owning one could have had addition weapons or something for your home base, I dunno.

Sadly, welcome to the world of griefing assholes and why friendly fire should probably be off all the time

Dominion was a cool idea with a terrible execution. Automated weapons were too weak to be a factor, and turrets were (are) basically just suicide booths. I'd love to see something like it come back at some point, though.

I bet warzone took a lot of man power and hours to create than they probably thought. Espcially using the Azure tech and ensuring 24 players had seamless gameplay across the huge maps.

Anyway, im so very happy with Halo 5 MP. I LOVE playing it every day. Even if its for only one or two games. I get extreme satisfaction from it. Even if i lose a game, i still enjoyed it. Sure, sometimes i get frusterated but it passes quickly when i hear the announcer tell me 'perrrrfect'.

I'm usually just a slayer type of guy, but after doing my 10 matches in Team Arena, i like all of the objectives more. Because i get to kill more than 25 times a match maybe? >=D....

muahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not by any means pro level, but love the depth you have when approaching, engaging, flanking, and reversing in each encounter! Unless they have a rocket, and already in mid air....above you... .... =/ haha

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'm not enjoying BTB very much. The BR starts really ruin it for me.

can you imagine the beatdown you'd get on the receiving end of players who picked up a br/dmr on these maps while others spawn with AR/pistol? br starts is a must on large, open maps.

They really should offer daily challenges or bounties.

They have the perfect system for it with Req points and it could ad some variety to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom