• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
They really should offer daily challenges or bounties.

They have the perfect system for it with Req points and it could ad some variety to play.

I agree. I don't care much about grinding stuff but Destiny is proof that people will keep playing if there's rewards to be had.

Zeta Oni

can you imagine the beatdown you'd get on the receiving end of players who picked up a br/dmr on these maps while others spawn with AR/pistol? br starts is a must on large, open maps.

Ummm, not really imo.

1. There's not that many BR/DMR's on the map.

2. All of the maps have several areas that are perfect for pistol range

3. BR starts makes warthog and ghost useless. That's not BTB.

4. Your team, and by extension you, would have just as much oppertunity to pick up said BR/DMR

5. Makes several power weapons on these maps effectively not worth the risk in getting.

Edit: Basically, the BR is ruining the flow of these maps. And not only that, but it's just an odd choice. Warzone maps are huge, yet you start with an AR and a pistol. Never had an issue there.

Kibbles

can you imagine the beatdown you'd get on the receiving end of players who picked up a br/dmr on these maps while others spawn with AR/pistol? br starts is a must on large, open maps.
Yeah, I'm loving BR starts. I like being able to get multiple kills before reloading, where as with the pistol it's one and done.

link1201

This is why ranks is attached to the team play, instead of individual stats.

We at a stalemate. I have the flag captured, 1 minute left. My teammate betrays me to take the flag, he ends up getting ambushed by two Spartans, because I dropped the flag when I died and they located him. They then got their flag to home base, they already had our flag.

I prefer it to be attached to the team play, to prevent this type of thing. We still get greedy play, but it will be much worse I feel if everyone got ranked individually.
That's pretty much what happen in Halo:Reach. Individual ranking in a team playlist produce some really wacky situations people will try to exploit.

neurophd

So I am getting ready to fire this up. I am a busy dad and I am wondering if I should bother with the single player or just focus on multiplayer. I have been enjoying BO3 multiplayer but the single player felt cumbersome and boring. I found the dialogue terrible and story convoluted. Is the Halo 5 single player story better than BO3 or at least more fun to play?

Sai

That has certainly been the case since Halo 2, but I think the AR and Pistol have become sufficiently competent at range in Halo 5 that a team can suppress those with BRs and DMRs at mid/long-range.

Ideally, control of a map should also involve locking down those BR/DMR spawnpoints, along with the vehicles 'n power weapons. I was hoping some kind of standard would be set for this in Halo 5.

Oh, well.

shoreu

That has certainly been the case since Halo 2, but I think the AR and Pistol have become sufficiently competent at range in Halo 5 that a team can suppress those with BRs and DMRs at mid/long-range.

Ideally, control of a map should also involve locking down those BR/DMR spawnpoints, along with the vehicles 'n power weapons. I was hoping some kind of standard would be set for this in Halo 5.

Oh, well.

no chance on a map like basin Dmr vs pistol is a horrible match up with those sightlines.

Tawpgun

I want BTB pistol starts but only if there's ONE DMR or BR at each base or something.

Ar pistol starts with BR and DMR littered around the map is worse than just BR starts

Forgot to bring this up but last night I learned that you have more armour sitting on a gungoose then on a ghost, seems really stupid to land 5 body shots on a gungoose driver and their shields DO NOT pop

Pistol is a real gun this time around. BR is too long range, it restricts movement and makes light vehicles basically worthless.

If only I could aim for shit with it past medium range :(

Sai

no chance on a map like basin Dmr vs pistol is a horrible match up with those sightlines.
DMR should have an advantage. If it remains as a pick-up, a team effort should be necessary to at least suppress a player with one until they pick up a BR/DMR of their own.

Not sure if anybody would agree with me on this, but I just feel like BR/DMR starts took away what could be an important step in the progress of a map's control. It was necessary in Halo 2 & 3, especially; the starting weapons were just too bad. But I feel it could have worked in Reach & 4, and definitely 5.

Speaking of, I don't think I've played on Basin yet.

Cranster

Banned
I think 343i learned their lesson with Halo 4. Offering a ton of content from the get go does not assure that you will keep folks playing for months to come. My guess is that 343i wanted to release content on a consistent basis to keep the community coming back for more. Not a bad strategy as long as the new game modes and content deliver. At this point if nothing else you have people showing up for the weekend playlists. The gameplay is engaging enough on its own to warrant playing.
Lack of variety will kill the population much faster. The lack of of Forge at launch aswell as missing KoTH, Oddball, Juggernaut, Infection, Race, Assault/Grifball, etc. has already helped move people to other games. Sure, adding them via a content update might bring them back, but it also might not.

All of this missing content should have been in the game on day one!

Haines

Banned
Pistol is a real gun this time around. BR is too long range, it restricts movement and makes light vehicles basically worthless.

Maybe it's just BC I'm playing at lower ranks that I can enjoy it than, idk

Pistol is fine but I like my br ar combo it feels fun and I can keep up with power weapon people

Yeah, wanting to continue rolling out content to keep the population engaged isn't an excuse for barebones launch offerings (even by 343 Halo standards of already squeezed feature sets/functionality).

Isn't the real issue here simply that Warthogs (and even Ghosts, but I care less about Ghosts) are too vulnerable to small arms fire?

Warzone maps are huge, yet you start with an AR and a pistol. Never had an issue there.

You start with a BR in Warzone after a couple minutes of gameplay.

So I am getting ready to fire this up. I am a busy dad and I am wondering if I should bother with the single player or just focus on multiplayer. I have been enjoying BO3 multiplayer but the single player felt cumbersome and boring. I found the dialogue terrible and story convoluted. Is the Halo 5 single player story better than BO3 or at least more fun to play?

Haven't played BO3 but I'd say it depends on what you look for in a single player FPS campaign. The story is pretty good if you're into the Halo lore but otherwise not all that exciting, it's mostly just setting things up very nicely for the next game. The gameplay is excellent and the level design and so on is top notch and rewards exploration and taking your time. If you feel a bit burnt out with FPS campaigns in general it's probably not "different" enough from previous Halo campaigns to excite you though.

matthieuC

DMR should have an advantage. If it remains as a pick-up, a team effort should be necessary to at least suppress a player with one until they pick up a BR/DMR of their own.

Not sure if anybody would agree with me on this, but I just feel like BR/DMR starts took away what could be an important step in the progress of a map's control. It was necessary in Halo 2 & 3, especially; the starting weapons were just too bad. But I feel it could have worked in Reach & 4, and definitely 5.

Thank you. Players should have to earn a BR or DMR so to speak. Spawning with BRs makes death way too easy.

Peterpan

Team killing for the flag is still a thing? I remember people would fuck me over all the time in halo 2 and 3 doing that.. was it an achivement thing or just assholes?
Just assholes. Though if you look at the carnage report, the person on top is the one with the most flags captured, in terms of capture the flag game mode. So I guess they want to be on top.

jelly

Yeah, wanting to continue rolling out content to keep the population engaged isn't an excuse for barebones launch offerings (even by 343 Halo standards of already squeezed feature sets/functionality).

I feel 343 need to match for example, the Halo Reach set of features and go from there. All this at a later date, no shows, bits and pieces, not great for the flagship studio. Pulling the house down then building it up each time kinda sucks unless it's genuinely needed to take the game to a new level. Hell, the Reach UI wouldn't go a miss as a standard that users fell right at home with and perhaps less work for 343 themselves and more time on content and new features.

Akai__

Blue Team on Guillotine has such terrible spawns. You spawn in the same area over and over again which is Blue Yard and can't even do 3 steps before you get shot from a Banshee, Sniper, Lightrifle and thousands of BR's from the higher ground. Red Team seems to have a spawn advantage there...

Zeta Oni

Isn't the real issue here simply that Warthogs (and even Ghosts, but I care less about Ghosts) are too vulnerable to small arms fire?

You start with a BR in Warzone after a couple minutes of gameplay.

By choice. I almost never swap the pistol for a BR. I'll switch it out for a DMR, but the only thing I normally replace is the AR with a SMG. Alot of players do the same, and I don't see them getting stomped on by BR users.

And the fact that I don't get "demolished" left and right like people are saying would happen with pistol starts, is seriously making me doubt the whole argument.

BR starts made sense in 2. Made sense in 3, and 4 as well. But with the pistol being as good as it is, there's no need for them anymore.

I mean, I can take people out within seconds of starting a recurve match. Run forward for 4 or 5 seconds, and pow. It's just too powerful as it is.

But the biggest issue is that it completely RUINS vehicles. Go ahead, start up a match and hop in the back of the closest warthog. You'll be dead shortly.

BR is no where near long range. That scope is mid range at best. BR starts are okay in my book.

I think the majority of the Halo population would disagree with you here. The BR is for sure a long range weapon. It's also a close range... and medium range weapon like a few of Halo 5's weapons. It can destroy you from just about any range when used properly.

Blueblur1

I think the majority of the Halo population would disagree with you here. The BR is for sure a long range weapon. It's also a close range... and medium range weapon like a few of Halo 5's weapons. It can destroy you from just about any range when used properly.

Yeah. The BR in Halo 5 is not the Halo 3 BR.

16BitNova

Hitting a moving target at long range is no easy thing. I have equally difficult time shooting at long range as I do a pistol. Yeah, there are the pro aim people here and there but, even they will have a hard time hitting at long range. Pistol starts just doesn't seem right. Idk.

Glass

ugh Theater camera is painfully slow. Squirming trying to move it and watching it crawl. Zooming also doesn't seem to work.

Think it's left trigger to make the camera go faster. And yeah the zoom is borked, you need to press both sticks down at the exact same time (its pretty finicky) for it to work.

Think it's left trigger to make the camera go faster. And yeah the zoom is borked, you need to press both sticks down at the exact same time (its pretty finicky) for it to work.

I thought they removed zoom to stop you looking at the lower res skyboxes, lol.

DamnBoxes

All day, all night, I dream about ground pound kills.

iiA2X6j.png

yea even then it's way too slow.

just flying around the BTB maps looking at the canvases. Alpine is kinda disappointing but Glacier looks amazing. Can't wait for an authentic Avalanche remake

Caja 117

I like BR starts for BTB, Pistol clip is too small when you have 8 target to shoot at, Yesterday I was playing s Stronghold in Basin (Valhala remake) and I was able to hold off good the mid base with a combination of BR, cover and well placed nades, with pistol this is really hard to acomplish regardless of your opponent skill level.

Hitting a moving target at long range is no easy thing. I have equally difficult time shooting at long range as I do a pistol. Yeah, there are the pro aim people here and there but, even they will have a hard time hitting at long range. Pistol starts just doesn't seem right. Idk.

Hitting a moving target at long range is no easy thing with any weapon... doesn't make the BR less of a long range weapon. Sniping someone at long range is not easy... but it's a long range weapon.

The BR is for sure, without a doubt, a long range weapon. (& close and medium as said before). Just my opinion though :)

BraXzy

I like BR starts for BTB, Pistol clip is too small when you have 8 target to shoot at, Yesterday I was playing s Stronghold in Basin (Valhala remake) and I was able to hold off good the mid base with a combination of BR, cover and well placed nades, with pistol this is really hard to acomplish regardless of your opponent skill level.

I think without BR starts it would be tricky to get kills with the bigger maps and stuff. But then maybe that would promote more close range stuff. I trust 343 have tested it enough with and without to make the call but who knows. And also, when someone grabs a DMR it's bad enough when you can kinda fight back with the BR. The thing that annoys me most though is the fact BRs are your secondary, switch that pls.

Blueblur1

I would agree with this if it weren't for the fact that BTB matches boil down to uncoordinated messes the majority of the time. If its going to be a playlist where individual players can matchmake into and will possibly join-in-progress you're rarely going to have a team that will be able to defend itself with Pistols against players wielding BRs, DMRs, and power weapons.

Kill3r7

Lack of variety will kill the population much faster. The lack of of Forge at launch aswell as missing KoTH, Oddball, Juggernaut, Infection, Race, Assault/Grifball, etc. has already helped move people to other games. Sure, adding them via a content update might bring them back, but it also might not.

All of this missing content should have been in the game on day one!

Not really.

I am sure some gamers would take full advantage of all that content right away but statistics show that the vast majority of people only play a handful of game modes. So releasing new content on a weekly/monthly basis will do a better job of highlighting it and IMO is much more likely to get people to come back for more or at the very least try out the new content. All indications are that Halo 5 will continue to grow and change as more and more people jump on board over the next couple of months. For what its worth Warzone, a new game type, has been a huge success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom