• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

maximrace

Tiring when you see page after page the same people complaining. Yeah we get it you don't like the game no need to remind us everyday 2-3 times.

Tiring when you see page after page the same people complaining. Yeah we get it you don't like the game no need to remind us everyday 2-3 times.

I can understand that is why it's easy to go to the next post. most of us who aren't into the game will fade away just like we did with halo 4. It won't be a big problem I think.

Herbs

Banned

it's not like their opinion really matters. they'll fade away into obscurity and proceed to complaining about the next game they don't like. this community will settle down eventually.

it's not like their opinion really matters. they'll fade away into obscurity and proceed to complaining about the next game they don't like. this community will settle down eventually.

That isn't fair to say, everyone's opinion should matter. It isn't fair that only people who like what 343 are doing should be able to voice their concern? That really wouldn't help the next game at all.

Herbs

Banned
That isn't fair to say, everyone's opinion should matter. It isn't fair that only people who like what 343 are doing should be able to voice their concern? That really wouldn't help the next game at all.

no really, your opinion doesn't matter to me. I'm sure it means something to some people but it's not really important to me, at least at this point. Maybe at first it had some bearing but now it's just not important.

And you'll probably move along at some point once you get tired of the game or you'll stick around and continue to explain your opinions, but they still won't matter to me. I'll just enjoy the game as it's pretty awesome and the community will move on from the complaining and gel into a more cohesive unit to explore the game and enjoy it with the occasional smattering of dislike for certain things in the game as it can never be perfect because to many people have differing opinions.

Their map design is fine at best (when they're not remaking Bungie's stuff as a shortcut to get around their own lack of talent), their spawn AI is garbage... like COD4 garbage...right down to being able to nade spam spawn points, mode selection is obviously 2 or 3 generations behind the curve, matchmaking quality is non-existent and getting worse as the userbase flees like rats of a sinking ship, netcode is fine depending on the day.

The matchmaking and netcode are way better than any previous Halo game for me. Halo 3 every other game there'd be people teleporting around even though I had a 70 Mbps fiber optic connection at the time, and Destiny PVP was worse than Halo 5 as well. This is just based on my own experiences and obviously there are plenty of people having issues with Halo 5, but that's pretty much guaranteed to be the case with any popular online game and it's hard to say which ones are worse without having access to any numbers. I mean I'm sure you genuinely don't like Halo 5 as much as the Bungie ones and there are many valid reasons for not doing so, but a lot of these complaints sound like you want to frame everything into a "343i are not good developers and Bungie are" narrative and throw any shit you can towards the game in hope some of it sticks. It's not in good faith and is just tedious to read.

Montresor

I think that you are nitpicky but you should continue to post in here. As much as you can. Diversity in opinion is always welcome.

I've had a love/hate relationship with the game as well. I got the new patch last night and will dive back in this weekend.

I'm excited about the aiming fix, hopefully that solves it and I can stop worrying about fighting my cursor.

Like everything it's good to keep an open mind, call out good and bad things otherwise nothing will ever change for the better imho.

The devs seem committed to the game and I am looking forward to seeing it grow along the way.

This game sometimes... guy had no shields as I melee'd him and dashed away and you could see the shield on him wa fizzing, I shot my BR into his damn head and saw the hit sparks but nope he runs up to me and beats me down.

I checked the saved replay and it shows me aiming way to the left, I was no where near the left side while playing :/ I hit his fucking head.

I think that you are nitpicky but you should continue to post in here. As much as you can. Diversity in opinion is always welcome.

+1

Jack I think it's a shame you don't enjoy the game and sometimes you seem a bit obsessed with small details but you bring up some good points and I enjoy reading your posts.

I admit I am, isn't just halo and I am the same toward bungie. i won't always post much cause I will move on from the game. I stuck with halo 3 too long and was behind on games but I'll be able to move on to other games like I have the last few years.

I'll try the new maps whenever they land and see how the aiming issues are fixed which don't work for me. For now, not a lot to talk about . And I agree with him a bit.

I never want people to feel bad or feel tired of what people say, i do think it's easy to simply move past. of course my opinion won't affect or change others.... i am quite the analyst I get it... That is why my artists get a little annoyed at me with the art we do :)

Thanks ino, I know I talk too much. Even some strangers tell me that, but sometimes I go a long time and won't talk at all.

Trup1aya

I admit I am, isn't just halo and I am the same toward bungie. i won't always post much cause I will move on from the game. I stuck with halo 3 too long and was behind on games but I'll be able to move on to other games like I have the last few years.

I'll try the new maps whenever they land and see how the aiming issues are fixed which don't work for me. For now, not a lot to talk about . And I agree with him a bit.

I never want people to feel bad or feel tired of what people say, i do think it's easy to simply move past. of course my opinion won't affect or change others.... i am quite the analyst I get it... That is why my artists get a little annoyed at me with the art we do :)

A point of contention is you insistence that this 'isn't halo' especially since the items that you seem to take issue with aren't, in many people's eyes, halo's defining characteristics...

From where I sit, this games meta lies somewhere in between halo:CE and halo 2 (which are the better of the three original games), so the insistence that they do nothing but emulate H3 is getting old as well.

BTB 5 v 8, I join in progress with the score something like 18 - 40 and someone already has a nice little nest with a sniper rifle, I die on spawn a few times and get camped the fuck out of.

sniper rifle ruins basin.

Also seems like no one joins in once someone hits 50 score in BTB slayer so we are down the entire match... thanks for the free loss on my rank, game.

Madness

I'm going to start quitting any BTB matches I get joined in progress. The rank is effectively random and meaningless to me now, so why would I stay around for most likely a losing team, getting donged on by teams with power weapons and vehicles. Don't care if it impacts my rank. If you want JiP, make it a social playlist.

Trup1aya

I'm going to start quitting any BTB matches I get joined in progress. The rank is effectively random and meaningless to me now, so why would I stay around for most likely a losing team, getting donged on by teams with power weapons and vehicles. Don't care if it impacts my rank. If you want JiP, make it a social playlist.

The only problem with that is you end up getting banned.

The whole BTB JiP fiasco could be handled with some simple design philosophies.

1) allow people to opt-out of joining matches late. Make it an option on their Spartan profile
2) result of the match shouldn't effect the rank of those who joined

Problem solved

BTB 5 v 8, I join in progress with the score something like 18 - 40 and someone already has a nice little nest with a sniper rifle, I die on spawn a few times and get camped the fuck out of.

sniper rifle ruins basin.

Also seems like no one joins in once someone hits 50 score in BTB slayer so we are down the entire match... thanks for the free loss on my rank, game.

just leave, for real. I leave any join in progress and I leave if I'm put on a server too far away. that shits not fun for anyone. I'm more of a hindrance for the team there and then if I left. Serious I got hit through a corner today. a god damn corner, meleed through two sets of walls. im sure my team mates would not be thrilled with my 1 kill and 13 deaths. Honestly so rage inducing today.

I'll give the fact that it's friday lunchtime here so most kids are at school but seriously why is BTB ranked.

Also going back to me shooting explosives at peoples feet and not killing them, today someone missed me by about 5 meters and I instantly died... I swear hit detection is server side and I see the upsetting laggy end of it all too often, being shotgunned from 20 meters away explains all that to me clearly.

Years ago I was able to play quake 3 on dialup with 400 ping perfectly fine because your shots appeared after the delay, so if you went to shoot someone and died before your missile appeared you knew lag was the reason, in modern gaming all that is hidden behind smoke and mirrors so even if you land a direct hit to the head... you most likely did not on the server.

Another good example of server detection, you can shoot someone and get the white hit markets on your crosshair, they die very soon after but you get no credit for assists or kill, the server never saw your attack before they died due to latency.

Join in progress should not be in BTB. Even if it's social. Keep JIP out of everything. It's just bad. Yes, I know, quitters ruin the game but that doesn't mean we have to share the pain and suffering with those who are just searching for a game. Joining a game in progress where you're losing is just as bad as having your team quit out on you.

Get rid of JIP. Do what counter strike and league of legends does and make it so the quitter can't search until the game they left is over. If they do search they rejoin the game they left. If they abandon the game and never return they should then be punished. This is how two of the most popular games in the world handle quitting. Why doesn't halo handle it in the same way? There's simply no excuse.

I don't mind jump in progress but it should not hamper your rating, make it disable your rank win loss if you are placed into a match 5 minutes in.

I just want to see what ping I am getting so I can work out why I die to such bullshit and why my guns shoot peas instead of bullets.

Akai__

It's not like people actually predicted that this would happen. Ranked BTB and JiP...

We are 11 years into Halo MP and playlist management and Halo devs still make the same mistakes over and over again. Does 343i understand that you can actually cater to multiple audiences? You don't have to cater to the casual or competetive crowd exclusively, but you can actually have ranked MP in addition to classic Halo and unranked modes, like a mixed variety of BTB gametypes and a mixed 4vs4 playlist.

One of my good buddies actually doesn't want to play Arena with us anymore, because he admits that he is too bad to play with us against Diamond/Onyx players. I feel really bad for him, becasue it's really not an enjoyable experience for anyone involved. The only option is Warzone, but that doesn't feel like anything like 4vs4 or 8vs8 modes. Why is 2 social playlists (preferably 4vs4 and 8vs8) too much to ask for?

I really can't think of any other good Halo 2 maps after Sanctuary and Midship.

Collosus, Burial Mounds, Lockout, Terminal, Ascension and Relic were all quite good. Some were much better suited to certain objective games, but that was seemingly the design philosophy at Bungie for every Halo game.

It's not like people actually predicted that this would happen. Ranked BTB and JiP...

We are 11 years into Halo MP and playlist management and Halo devs still make the same mistakes over and over again. Does 343i understand that you can actually cater to multiple audiences? You don't have to cater to the casual or competetive crowd exclusively, but you can actually have ranked MP in addition to classic Halo and unranked modes, like a mixed variety of BTB gametypes and a mixed 4vs4 playlist.

One of my good buddies actually doesn't want to play Arena with us anymore, because he admits that he is too bad to play with us against Diamond/Onyx players. I feel really bad for him, becasue it's really not an enjoyable experience for anyone involved. The only option is Warzone, but that doesn't feel like anything like 4vs4 or 8vs8 modes. Why is 2 social playlists (preferably 4vs4 and 8vs8) too much to ask for?

This is the most realistic and best solution I've seen suggested for a social playlist. I hate that everyone just wants to shit up the playlist with rampant social focused garbage. We don't need a playlist JUST for Infection, or Fiesta, or Social Slayer. One playlist that has it all would go over much better in keeping populations in check across the board.

If 343 are worried about lack of players in the ranked playlists then they should at least look into saturday-sunday unranked 4v4 slayer or something.

I wish they would look into req earning rates and disabling rank if you join in progress, seems like stuff they should have thought about before release but side lined it to do other things, they must have known BRB req earning was super tight compared to assault or that people dislike joinig on the losing side in ranked playlists...

All those fans giving up on Halo, and yet we are still graced with people like you. Why are the Halo gods so cruel.

People have given up on Halo, because its not an easy game to pick up and have fun in. You have to invest yourself in it. COD and Destiny are the most casual friendly titles on the market and hence their numbers remain high. And I love how you mention wanting Bungie to make Halo.. they did make another after 3.. it was called Reach. The shit show that started the downfall of Halo gameplay mechanics.

Thankfully you should be able to create a faithful remake of Sanctuary and Lockout using the snow forge template/pieces.

I do not look forward to the inevitable deluge of Lockout remakes and its equally inevitable integration into the playlists. Hate that map.

Herbs

Banned
I never am one for dabbling in making stuff in games but damn if I don't want to remake Terminal. Too bad no train option probably exists. Best thing ever was seeing a plan go to shit when that train passed on through.

I never am one for dabbling in making stuff in games but damn if I don't want to remake Terminal. Too bad no train option probably exists. Best thing ever was seeing a plan go to shit when that train passed on through.

From the way the scripting has been described, you could totally do Terminal, train and all.

I'm gonna make a Chiron remake with traps that work a little like the train. Literally fighting against the map instead of just wandering around confused.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

It's only been a few week since release.

They've said they are serious about their commitment to sustain, so let's give them the time to get serious about it.

To me, being serious about sustain is less about bloating out the REQ system with more trinkets and more responding with reactive playlist and game mode management.

Ranked BTB, with JIP and BR starts doe.

OneUh8

Really loving BTB. We surely need more maps, and kinda want strongholds out of the rotation, but other than that, it is great fun. Give us KotH please! I feel that works so much better for BTB.

Herbs

Banned
From the way the scripting has been described, you could totally do Terminal, train and all.

I'm gonna make a Chiron remake with traps that work a little like the train. Literally fighting against the map instead of just wandering around confused.

well, color me more intrigued then.

Fuchsdh

They aren't designed well either though. While they are less cluttered they have strange and amateur feeling ground. It just feels a bit blocked off and cheap feeling
Too big compared to the maps they are remade from. I don't really get it. Would blame sprint but halo 4 had a Valhalla that was much closer in design.

Do feel disheartening they ruined two nice maps from halo 3. Don't even want them to ruin avalanche, just keep it out of your game 343

Avalanche was a crappier Sidewinder. It was already ruined.

Yeah just from what's been described it sounds like you could constantly regenerate an object you flung across the map, and just attach a bunch of blocks behind it to make your train cars.

Really loving BTB. We surely need more maps, and kinda want strongholds out of the rotation, but other than that, it is great fun. Give us KotH please! I feel that works so much better for BTB.

yeah its just been a lot of fun.

the maps i like, they have those moments of looking like bad forge maps and decent maps, but they all seem to play pretty well

Haines

Banned
I think I'm going to start using my mic some. I gave up on talking years ago when nobody talked at all but the halo community seems to get it.

I wish matchmaking would put me up a placement from bronze. Getting tired of busting ass all gamr to see people who can't even shoot a guy standing still on my team do nothing.

Herbs

Banned
I think I'm going to start using my mic some. I gave up on talking years ago when nobody talked at all but the halo community seems to get it.

I wish matchmaking would put me up a placement from bronze. Getting tired of busting ass all gamr to see people who can't even shoot a guy standing still on my team do nothing.

Man, since the tail end of Halo 2 was the last time I used my headset on Live. No shit the first time in over 8 years, I chatted it up in a GAF BTB game. It felt like old times.

Glass

Had a great of CTF on Recurve last night, seriously close game, people communicating, great warthog runs. BTB feels really good, looking forward to the XP boost this weekend.

Akai__

It's only been a few week since release.

They've said they are serious about their commitment to sustain, so let's give them the time to get serious about it.

To me, being serious about sustain is less about bloating out the REQ system with more trinkets and more responding with reactive playlist and game mode management.

Ranked BTB, with JIP and BR starts doe.

Well, I hope you are right. I understand that it takes some time, but you can also learn from past games about what people actually like to see and start from there with your next game. We really don't have to start from 0 with every new Halo game. People don't want to compete all the time. You should be able to play a social game with your friends of all skill levels where you don't have to worry about your rank and performance.

And I seriously could care less about the REQ content. I just want to see old (and possibly new) gametypes as soon as possible. People will create tons of things with Forge, which is a really good thing, but they won't be able to support certain gametypes, if they don't have the tools for it.

You can script objects to move? interesting.

Boarding action with meteors flying down the middle for cover, it could work.

OneUh8

I use my mic all the time. And I have been surprised to find many others that do as well when you speak up. Last night I ended up partying up with 4 others that were talking during a BTB game. So we all decided to party up and it was great fun. Haven't done a party up with randoms since Halo 3 days. Was great!

Man, since the tail end of Halo 2 was the last time I used my headset on Live. No shit the first time in over 8 years, I chatted it up in a GAF BTB game. It felt like old times.

Oh man... you guys should play with "us" more often. Always a few groups of chatty fellow GAF people online playing... Halo really requires that team communication and it plays so much better when it's happening.

feel free to add me though my time is split between so many games at the moment...

GT: Gun Fer Hire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom