• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
I FINALLY GOT MY ONYX IN BREAKOUT

the amount of carries i had to do, I'm free now... I never have to play that awful playlist anymore. I never have to play Solo queue anymore. I'm finally free.

Now if only BTB didn't place my in Diamond, I have to get Onyx there as well now to get all my flowers.

CAN I CARRY 7 OTHER PEOPLE TO 25+ WINS IN BTB TO GET MY ONYX? SPEEDYBICEPS IS READY TO FIND OUT ᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤ ᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤ ᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤ

oh god guys my back
giphy.gif

Carry me to ONYX too!!

Paying $60 doesn't mean you can be a huge cunt tho does it?

Technically speaking, I could be a huge cunt for free.

I am motivated to be a 'huge cunt' by brain-shattering levels of incompetence across both design and execution.

Anyway, I edited the quoted post cause I thought it was a step too far.

But dear god, a 15 minute ban for quitting in disgust feels more and more like a gift than a punishment.

The DMR broke Valhalla in Halo 4.

I just honestly don't think 343i has any idea what they're doing.

The base shooting mechanics and movement feels great. Took them 2 games, too many years, and god knows how many millions of dollars to get where Bungie did in one game, but they did that.

Unfortunately, they undermined their own mode in Warzone with their downright braindead boss damage system and straight-up greedy REQ system, and they hurt arena with TEEEEEEERRRRRRRRIBLE matchmaking and even worse Spawn AI. Map design ranges from alright to bad, and god forbid you want to try and learn the maps or can't play with a full team without affecting your rank - sorry, we cant handle social playlists, too hard!

They're B-tier talent trying to follow up A-level talent.
Hmm, I'll challenge this by asking if you've ever played Halo 3, because after 6 years of Halo, Bungie still created the Halo 3 BR lol.. Then after years of being "for the fans," they created Destiny to eat at the soul of RNG addicts.

BraXzy

I sometimes wonder how and why 343 still engage with the community when people put forward their complaints like that but then I remember we see less of them around here than we used to, wonder why.

In other news, saw a cool suggestion on Reddit. Basically a shuffle mode for your favourite assassinations. Say you really like a few of your assassinations but can't decide which one you prefer, add them both to a shuffle and each time it'll randomly pick one to trigger. Voilà.
TY phone for the cool a.

Then you get to do it again when the rank season ends ! Wooo

Nah, I'm not playing this game anymore after the month is over. I just wanna cement myself as a Onyx/Champion player for launch month, and I plan to quit this game in favor of trying to take my Counter-Strike skill to the next level. I love Halo 5, and I love the Halo Franchise and it's probably the only gaming franchise to ever resonate with me, and it really did mean a lot to me growing up, and I deeply care for it, but... I dunno. Just feel like I've gotten as good as I'm ever gonna get with Halo, and I think if I had to devote all my gaming time to a game and try and get amazingly good at it, I'd rather pick the game where I have more room to grow and improve.

Caja 117

I am motivated to be a 'huge cunt' by brain-shattering levels of incompetence across both design and execution.

But dear god, a 15 minute ban for quitting in disgust feels more and more like a gift than a punishment.
Imcopentence in design? Really, even Taking away bleedtrough in Halo reach or implementing bloom shouldnt be seen as incompetence, just because you dont like something doesnt mean the developer is incompetent.

The DMR broke Valhalla in Halo 4.

I just honestly don't think 343i has any idea what they're doing.

The base shooting mechanics and movement feels great. Took them 2 games, too many years, and god knows how many millions of dollars to get where Bungie did in one game, but they did that.

Unfortunately, they undermined their own mode in Warzone with their downright braindead boss damage system and straight-up greedy REQ system, and they hurt arena with TEEEEEEERRRRRRRRIBLE matchmaking and even worse Spawn AI. Map design ranges from alright to bad, and god forbid you want to try and learn the maps or can't play with a full team without affecting your rank - sorry, we cant handle social playlists, too hard!

For every step forward, 2 steps back.
I feel the aiming is broken completely, moving just a. Makes me move 10 feet left or right of a target.

But man, these vehicles do show a lack of talent. Motorstorm physics would be amazing in halo.

Hmm, I'll challenge this by asking if you've ever played Halo 3, because after 6 years of Halo, Bungie still created the Halo 3 BR lol.. Then after years of being "for the fans," they created Destiny to eat at the soul of RNG addicts.

Halo 3 wasn't perfect but are you honestly going to argue that the

1-50 ranking system
Greater variety of social playlists
Social playlists
Forge at launch
Full featured theater through all modes
Bungie.net integration for sharing modes and videos
etc

Wasnt better, more polished game for the dollar?

Personally, I didn't hate the Halo 3 BR as much as some. Yes, at long range, the spread was irritating. But I - not really knowing of GAF, HaloGaf or even MLG at the time - simply took it as a means of keeping the BR within it's role in the sandbox. After Halo 2, where the BR dominated at close, mid and long range, the spread basically ensured it was useful only for pestering snipers and knocking them out of scope so you could get to cover and try to cover distance into mid-range. At mid range, the spread was barely a factor in my experience.

I understand why people hated it. Honestly, I do. But I was just malleable enough at the time to adjust and simply try to cross the gap, rather than force a BR duel at Halo 2 range.

CeeSaw

Here man I got something for ya.
the+end+of+Halo+PC.gif

1-50 ranking system
Social playlists
Forge at launch
etc

Personally, I didn't hate the Halo 3 BR as much as some. Yes, at long range, the spread was irritating. But I - not really knowing of GAF, HaloGaf or even MLG at the time - simply took it as a means of keeping the BR within it's role in the sandbox. After Halo 2, where the BR dominated at close, mid and long range, the spread basically ensured it was useful only for pestering snipers and knocking them out of scope so you could get to cover and try to cover distance into mid-range. At mid range, the spread was barely a factor in my experience.

I understand why people hated it. Honestly, I do. But I was just malleable enough at the time to adjust and simply try to cross the gap, rather than force a BR duel at Halo 2 range.
H3 br is by far my favorite. Felt bullets really were hitting. Felt like they really had lines and shot of of your gun
Hard to explain but close range battles felt amazing and I was good at long range and still got 5 shots.

I agree, Forge was new. Everything was there day one
I wish Bungie was there for halo 5 and 6, if only :(

By the last sentence and your general demeanor toward the game I would suggest that you just don't bother playing so that you Don't feel the urge to quit games in disgust. Obviously the game is repulsive pile of trash and deserves no fanfare at all. It isn't like this game is a better overall multiplayer experience than any other Halo game has been to date. So just sell your copy, trade in your Xbox and go play a real shooter like Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 or Killzone: Shadowfall, the epitome of FPS design encapsulated onto a BluRay Disc.

I sometimes wonder how and why 343 still engage with the community when people put forward their complaints like that but then I remember we see less of them around here than we used to, wonder why.

In other news, saw a cool suggestion on Reddit. Basically a shuffle mode for your favourite assassinations. Say you really like a few of your assassinations but can't decide which one you prefer, add them both to a shuffle and each time it'll randomly pick one to trigger. Voilà.
TY phone for the cool a.
Honestly for the most part, ton of Halo fans have up on the game after h4. Sales and player counts show this. People don't even think of Halo. You won't see them talking about it cause it's just out of their mind.

1-50 ranking system
Social playlists
Forge at launch
etc

-snip-
Depends on how much one values gameplay. For example, many thought Halo 3 controlled and played like donkey butts, but here you are making a mountain out of a molehill when you even said how great Halo 5's gameplay is. So to you, perhaps gameplay isn't as important as to others.

Depends on how much one values gameplay. For example, many thought Halo 3 controlled and played like donkey butts, but here you are making a mountain out of a molehill when you even said how great Halo 5's gameplay is. So to you, perhaps gameplay isn't as important as to others.
I'd say the movement in halo 3 felt deep and rich. Jump over assassinations, bottom and the back of the feet assassinations was just a small part of how they mixed game code and making every pixel if game code hardcore.

Moving left and right feels off in 343 so games. Talking about player movement.

Halo3 definitely has a stronger feature set, but the maps are worse and the gunplay is way worse.

Halo 5 is the most balanced Halo game ever by a mile. That trumps almost anything else. I do wish it had Halo 2 maps though.

I said the core mechanics were great. The sum of gameplay is more than core mechanics.

There's map design (which encompasses verticality, choke points, sight lines, weapon and power weapon placement, etc), spawn AI, mode selection, matchmaking quality, netcode, etc.

343i nails the core mechanics of movement and weapon 'feel'.

Their map design is fine at best (when they're not remaking Bungie's stuff as a shortcut to get around their own lack of talent), their spawn AI is garbage... like COD4 garbage...right down to being able to nade spam spawn points, mode selection is obviously 2 or 3 generations behind the curve, matchmaking quality is non-existent and getting worse as the userbase flees like rats of a sinking ship, netcode is fine depending on the day.

Halo3 definitely has a stronger feature set, but the maps are worse and the gunplay is way worse.

Halo 5 is the most balanced Halo game ever by a mile. That trumps almost anything else. I do wish it had Halo 2 maps though.

I'll give 343i credit for that. The balance among the weapons is great. The pistol is a great utility weapon that is always useful but never feels overpowered.

So that's another feather in their cap along with the feel of the shooting and the movement.

Unfortunately, it's wasted on mediocre maps, bad matchmaking, TERRIBLE spawn AI, etc

Like I said, 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

Madness

I'd say the movement in halo 3 felt deep and rich. Jump over assassinations, bottom and the back of the feet assassinations was just a small part of how they mixed game code and making every pixel if game code hardcore.

Moving left and right feels off in 343 so games. Talking about player movement.

Uh, I LOVE Halo 3, but the movement is just subpar, especially now. I like the fluidity of Halo 5. I still feel base movement could be faster, but the jump and clamber is almost second nature now. I think you're just seeing the difference in complexity between games. There's almost 8 years and a console generation difference between character models, animations and player movement.

Are the new REQ items showing up in the Req packs yet?
Yes

EDIT:
Reading the last page or so of this thread has reminded me that although I generally consider Halo fans to be nice fun loving people, there's always that group that will never be satisfied and will always be massive fucking pricks.

Hawk269

Anyone encounter a bug after the BTB where it effects the single player game? I have been playing through the game on Heroic and was on mission 14. If I die in any part of that level the game crashes to the dashboard. When I try to load the last save it crashes to the dashboard. When I did a complete restart of the that level it would work up until I die and then the crashes happen again. I even saved after getting through 3/4 of the level and I died and it crashed. I tried loading that fresh save and again the game crashes to the dashboard.

I did do a system reboot and nothing fixes the issue. My only fix was to beat that particular level on normal because when I die on heroic it crashes to the dashboard. When I played level 15 and put it back on Heroic when I die, it just reloads and is fine. It seems like it is an issue with that level that if you die it crashes.

I am not the greatest at shooters, but love the challenge of Heroic, but now that I beat the game, I am not getting the heroic achievement since that one level was done on normal and no matter how many times I try, I cant beat that level without getting killed, usually at the Warden fight.

Defect

I really can't think of any other good Halo 2 maps after Sanctuary and Midship.

Hatchtag

Banned

1-50 ranking system
Social playlists
Forge at launch
etc

At this point, I'm of the opinion that Halo 5 is not nearly as polished or good or content-heavy as 1-3 and Reach. It just isn't. I think, at the very least, it'd be hard to argue that it's as content-heavy as those games. But I definitely think Halo 5 is a good game despite that, and it's pretty much the only option for fun Halo at this point. Hell, I'll even say that it has one thing I really like that 343i added-Breakout. And I think the majority of the maps are really well polished. It's not quiet as good as old school Halo, but it's a really good job and I could see the next one, should they learn from this entry, possibly reaching those heights.

At this point, I'm of the opinion that Halo 5 is not nearly as polished or good or content-heavy as 1-3 and Reach. It just isn't. I think, at the very least, it'd be hard to argue that it's as content-heavy as those games. But I definitely think Halo 5 is a good game despite that, and it's pretty much the only option for fun Halo at this point. Hell, I'll even say that it has one thing I really like that 343i added-Breakout. And I think the majority of the maps are really well polished. It's not quiet as good as old school Halo, but it's a really good job and I could see the next one, should they learn from this entry, possibly reaching those heights.

The only thing they need for me to consider it as the best Halo ever is a firefight like mode, warzone firefight please.

Beginning to think The Compressor is a power weapon on Sanctuary. It is like a faster needler.

I do really think everyone should play a few games of FFA to get sharp. Team Slayer is relaxing in comparison.

Bsigg12

Beginning to think The Compressor is a power weapon on Sanctuary. It is like a faster needler.

I do really think everyone should play a few games of FFA to get sharp. Team Slayer is relaxing in comparison.

I don't know, I think it takes a little too long to fill up to be useful.

Now the Suppressor, that's a pretty decent gun. It and the Bolt Shot on smaller maps with their homing rounds tear people up.

Nutter

Honestly for the most part, ton of Halo fans have up on the game after h4. Sales and player counts show this. People don't even think of Halo. You won't see them talking about it cause it's just out of their mind.

All those fans giving up on Halo, and yet we are still graced with people like you. Why are the Halo gods so cruel.

People have given up on Halo, because its not an easy game to pick up and have fun in. You have to invest yourself in it. COD and Destiny are the most casual friendly titles on the market and hence their numbers remain high. And I love how you mention wanting Bungie to make Halo.. they did make another after 3.. it was called Reach. The shit show that started the downfall of Halo gameplay mechanics.

I really can't think of any other good Halo 2 maps after Sanctuary and Midship.

Thankfully you should be able to create a faithful remake of Sanctuary and Lockout using the snow forge template/pieces.

CeeSaw

Now the Suppressor, that's a pretty decent gun. It and the Bolt Shot on smaller maps with their homing rounds tear people up.

I need to get into a habit of picking it up during matches. A buddy kept swearing by the Storm Rifle and I kept thinking he was messing around but god damn, that thing can put some work in.

Uh, I LOVE Halo 3, but the movement is just subpar, especially now. I like the fluidity of Halo 5. I still feel base movement could be faster, but the jump and clamber is almost second nature now. I think you're just seeing the difference in complexity between games. There's almost 8 years and a console generation difference between character models, animations and player movement.

people misunderstand when i talk about movement, I am talking about the way the game handles actually moving horizontally left, not how you thrust or whatever. Moving left and right, the speed at which you accellrate or change directions like in a BR battle just doesn't feel right in 343 games. it's at it's worst in Halo 4 though, where it seems to go a little more and move a little too long for just a quick split second move to the right.

Another reason I didn't like max payne, they really tried to give this horizontal movement a long drawn out more realistic feel. Just wasn't feeling it.

But as to what your talking about, nah, i don't care for the jetpack , clamber crap. The maps are just bad designed for this. it isn't halo man.

All those fans giving up on Halo, and yet we are still graced with people like you. Why are the Halo gods so cruel.

People have given up on Halo, because its not an easy game to pick up and have fun in. You have to invest yourself in it. COD and Destiny are the most casual friendly titles on the market and hence their numbers remain high. And I love how you mention wanting Bungie to make Halo.. they did make another after 3.. it was called Reach. The shit show that started the downfall of Halo gameplay mechanics.

Thankfully you should be able to create a faithful remake of Sanctuary and Lockout using the snow forge template/pieces.

While it's true reach made me stick to Halo 3, atleast the movement and aiming (besides the crap bloom) still felt like halo, the maps still mostly felt like halo as well. The game still had good coding in base player movement and aiming that 343 just can't seem to do.

Destiny also has really good game coding for player movement, it just feels smoother and easier to shoot people. There is a huge difference in my aim from bungie halo/destiny compared to halo 5. It isnt just about the right stick, the left stick is just as important for aiming as the right

Herbs

Banned
In all my years playing Halo I never encountered a Teamate so obsessed about getting the sniper that he basically harrased me the entire game:

http://xboxclips.com/zCaja/c85acc29-b2aa-4bc1-ac5c-c4ef45598bef

http://xboxclips.com/zCaja/5aa3ea17-e08f-4274-b537-ea8a29347095

http://xboxclips.com/zCaja/f735ac4a-c96c-4c50-a786-a248a32212e0

I have an entire match of that.

yup. that's Halo. Yesterday I had a teammate wreck me in a Ghost because they wanted it I guess.

Herbs

Banned
So, we'll soon get more REQ points in BTB, according to Bravo on twitter. Glad 343's is responding that fast.

Great job on the montage. Dat intro.
Totally should have participated.

nice. the cap was way too low for the amount of time spent in those games.

Trup1aya

While it's true reach made me stick to Halo 3, atleast the movement and aiming (besides the crap bloom) still felt like halo, the maps still mostly felt like halo as well. The game still had good coding in base player movement and aiming that 343 just can't seem to do.

Destiny also has really good game coding for player movement, it just feels smoother and easier to shoot people. There is a huge difference in my aim from bungie halo/destiny compared to halo 5. It isnt just about the right stick, the left stick is just as important for aiming as the right

I was kinda with you on the visual clarity, but now some of your complaints are just weird.

You have issues with moving your character in H5? So strange. My Spartan seems to move where I tell him to, when I tell him to.

Also it IS easier to shoot people in Destiny. That game is about as casual as it gets when it comes to aiming assists. Even more so than halo2-Reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom