• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephzilla

Almost done the campaign. Here's the full set of screenshots from my playthrough so far. This is one of the most gorgeous games I've ever played.

I wish 343 could just force everything into a different graphics engine. Imagine Halo 5 on the CryEngine. Fuck that would be awesome. Halo engine has aged pretty terribly with the exception of a few things. BTB is fun but the forge palette is downright revolting, and I'm not a graphics snob. The building blocks are straight out of a fisher price toy set and the ground's textures look stretched over the ground like a tarp.

mfTc1Me.gif

I wish 343 could just force everything into a different graphics engine. Imagine Halo 5 on the CryEngine. Fuck that would be awesome. Halo engine has aged pretty terribly with the exception of a few things. BTB is fun but the forge palette is downright revolting, and I'm not a graphics snob. The building blocks are straight out of a fisher price toy set and the ground's textures look stretched over the ground like a tarp. I know 60fps comes with graphical constraints, but is the One so weak we can't even get some grass?
What game are you playing? Halo 5 is gorgeous.

Forge... Is... Forge.

I wish 343 could just force everything into a different graphics engine. Imagine Halo 5 on the CryEngine. Fuck that would be awesome. Halo engine has aged pretty terribly with the exception of a few things. BTB is fun but the forge palette is downright revolting, and I'm not a graphics snob. The building blocks are straight out of a fisher price toy set and the ground's textures look stretched over the ground like a tarp. I know 60fps comes with graphical constraints, but is the One so weak we can't even get some grass?

what do you mean? It has a lot of the traits of cry engine actually since 343 built this engine. I assume the forge pieces are made this way to be an easy load and quick... but yes not that great looking. Even OG xbox had decent mod tools

this was a 64 mb system, i made a few nice maps for it. Not saying it does a lot, but for the time it was ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WQzYCvAzT0

From what my eyeball can see. This is Reach's engine with halo 4 changes plus the re-writing of halo 5 for 60fps. They claim it was built from the ground up, but i dont belive that it's brand new just for xbox one.

The movement still reminds me a bit of halo reach to be honest. That clunkyness still remains. Halo 4 just made sure you were aware of a spartans heaviness and injected immersion. Halo 5 put a turbo-charger in it and removed some interior luxury so it can run faster.

Shrug. who knows.

I really can't think of any other good Halo 2 maps after Sanctuary and Midship.

Those two. Lockout. Headlong. Turf. Colossus. Ivory Tower. Relic. Terminal. Zanzibar.

Zanzibar and Terminal are two of the best CTF maps ever. Ivory Tower is wonderful for assault. Keep in mind I don't like Slayer.

I just finished my first play through of the campaign. It was coop legendary (which is why it took so dam long).

Honestly I'm not sure what too think, I loved most of the gameplay, the sound and graphics were great but I feel a little bit empty like "thats it?" and I think it comes down to the pacing in the story and the misleading marketing.

That whole sangehlious section just felt incredibly unnecessary in terms of the story even though the idea of fighting with the arbiter in a Covenant civil war was awesome and those were some of my favorite levels. That section ruined the parts of the story for me.

Also I'm still trying to process the end there.

I liked peices of the story but I feel it would have been much better if they sort of reworked it a bit.

Sephzilla

I really can't think of any other good Halo 2 maps after Sanctuary and Midship.

Headlong is the greatest map in Halo history
Waterworks is criminally underrated
Containment
Ivory Tower
Turf
Zanzibar
Terminal
Relic
Coagulation is a better Blood Gulch

Halo 2 top to bottom is probably the best set of maps in the franchise, even with the god awful Ascension being included. Also #RealTalk, Lockout is massively overrated.

Those two. Lockout. Headlong. Turf. Colossus. Ivory Tower. Relic. Terminal. Zanzibar.

Zanzibar and Terminal are two of the best CTF maps ever. Ivory Tower is wonderful for assault. Keep in mind I don't like Slayer.

This guy's on fucking point. How can you not love these maps people!?!?

Edit: As is this dude.

Headlong is the greatest map in Halo history
Waterworks is criminally underrated
Containment
Ivory Tower
Turf
Zanzibar
Terminal
Coagulation is a better Blood Gulch

Halo 2 top to bottom is probably the best set of maps in the franchise, even including having the god awful Ascension. Also #RealTalk, Lockdown is massively overrated.

Completely agree. I miss maps like these. Clearly defined, purposeful positions and areas, fun asymmetrical attack and defensive designs. Here's to hoping 343i brings these back or designs equivalent ones themselves.

Montresor

I'm at mission 13 - I just finished helping
the Arbiter with his civil war, and I hitched a ride onto the Sanghelios Guardian in pursuit of Master Chief

Can someone help me understand how there is misleading marketing? So far the whole game has been about Fireteam Osiris pursuing Master Chief, with Master Chief going AWOL/rogue pretty early on in the game.

Admittedly,
it's clear Master Chief is not a traitor and Fireteam Osiris is taking more of a rescue, rather than apprehend/kill/arrest role with regards to Master Chief. But that's a problem? The game started off with MC going rogue and Osiris being dispatched to reign MC in...

Boston

How would that work? How would anyone be able to make a sniper back down retreat? A sniper with no descoping and no flinch sounds like giving the person that take it 8 sure kills.

Valid point. Maybe add a little flinch when scoping any gun besides a Sniper and add de-scoping for a sniper. It will probably never happen, I'm just saying I liked it better with no de-scoping. It's just a pain for me to aim and scope in with the press of the right analog stick.

Trup1aya

Valid point. Maybe add a little flinch when scoping any gun besides a Sniper and add de-scoping for a sniper. It will probably never happen, I'm just saying I liked it better with no de-scoping. It's just a pain for me to aim and scope in with the press of the right analog stick.

There are other button configurations... I think left trigger scopes on H5 default.

We shouldn't consider taking out one of the more important balancing mechanics and a staple of the franchise and replacing it with flinch.

Disc installs fine, update fails out constantly.

That's all kinds of shitty

Sephzilla

Completely agree. I miss maps like these. Clearly defined, purposeful positions and areas, fun asymmetrical attack and defensive designs. Here's to hoping 343i brings these back or designs equivalent ones themselves.

I'm honestly probably too hard on 343 but I do feel like their multiplayer maps are over designed. The Halo CE and Halo 2 era Bungie maps really had a simplistic and straight forward design to them that I feel is lacking in the newer maps.

Tawpgun

Neutral gametypes on waterworks own.

Also it was amusing to me that people cried about halo 5 maps being too visually busy and now forge maps are too plain.

The ground textures are pretty rough, but the actual pieces are the best they've ever been.

Also it was amusing to me that people cried about halo 5 maps being too visually busy and now forge maps are too plain.

The ground textures are pretty rough, but the actual pieces are the best they've ever been.

Well, I didn't complain about anything being too busy. Something about forge is just more clash-y than it's been in the past. No transition between textures, just way too many unnatural lines in the nature areas. It just hurts to look at. I don't want to start an uproar or anything, it's just the way I feel. I think arena looks good, but AF and aliasing is still pretty damn bad. I just didn't think these things would be an issue for a AAA game in 2015, that's all.

I REALLY love Zanzibar and Ivory Tower.

Loved ivory tower... where i got my first killtacular jumpind to the lower level through the window by lift ramp toward top.... ah good times. Banking gernades off the small column walls felt amazing too.

I'm honestly probably too hard on 343 but I do feel like their multiplayer maps are over designed. The Halo CE and Halo 2 era Bungie maps really had a simplistic and straight forward design to them that I feel is lacking in the newer maps.

You and me both. I dig them for the most part (aside for the cheap "remixes" that's lazy IMHO) but they do have a sort of "jumbled" design to them that both visually and mechanically distracts from the clarity and purpose of past Bungie classics. I'm curious and excited to see what DLC we get aside from Forge maps. I know they have the talent to come up with some great stuff (I really dig the overall design of Rig and Plaza - but hate the clutter of Plaza) so i guess we just have to wait.

Unstable

The maps themselves play great, maybe not recurve, but the rest I really like, and that's all that matters at the end of the day.

Oh c'mon... you know this is a junk generalization... fess up.

The complaints regarding Forge are just. That's mostly about the utter lack of anything resembling an appealing texture or the smaller visual bits that make a map seem "real". It wasnt that Forge maps are too plain structurally. We all know this.

Trup1aya

I actually appreciate the visual clarity of the forge maps.

But the textures are poor, especially in contrast with the canvases...

The complaints about 343i maps isn't about the texture quality, but weird lighting choices, and geometry that unneccisarily makes it difficult to spot enemies.

That's bullshit. I guess you tried uninstalling the entire game?

Yea.

Before doing that I was able to hit start, scroll down to try again, and get about 2% at a time. I had to hit it over and over and over again. I got myself to 93% where that stopped working. So I fully uninstalled and started over and now I'm stuck at 37% instead.

I'll have to stick to offline splitscreen I guess!

Oh wait

Herbs

Banned
Headlong is indeed GOAT. I loved Waterworks but too many nooks and crannies as it was far too big. Though getting Sniper up to the top was god mode against less than knowledgeable opponents.

Something missing from the forge maps for BTB that would really help it visually is water, why is there not a stream down the middle of basin? or a waterfall on one side? something that animates.

When you look back to valhalla, bungie added a big metal wall to one side of the map and this helped break down that rock and dirt look, it also helped work out which way you were facing when you spawned as it was a good visual marker, something these forge maps really lack.

It's a decent looking game but I wouldn't say gorgeous. Specially after spending time with Battlefront.

Yes, let's compare a team whose only purpose is to replicate items from a universe already established. Where they only have to make a multiplayer mode. To a company who is creating-expanding a universe, needing to flesh out story, re-writing an engine, creating a new mp experience on console. creating/upgrading a utility that enables players to create their own maps, now with scripting.

sure let's compare these games because they both had the same exact objectives.

lol omg. is today fuck everything friday?

Yes, let's compare a team whose only purpose is to replicate items from a universe already established. Where they only have to make a multiplayer mode. To a company who is creating-expanding a universe, needing to flesh out story, re-writing an engine, creating a new mp experience on console. creating/upgrading a utility that enables players to create their own maps, now with scripting.

Visual fidelity has nothing to do with replicating items in an established universe. Yes, it is fef, indeed.

Personally I was just wishing out loud that Halo 5 looked better in some aspects. It still handles beautifully and has the best gameplay of any console shooter I've probably ever played...ever...ever...ever..echo.

Halo is a already established franchise too...
And that Halo Engine really needs to be moved into the trash bin. I dont get why the Engine had to me massacred coming from the 360. It just doesnt look good purely for a XboxOne only title.
And i really havent seen that "new mp experience" so far in H5.

Forge is cool and so, but i still would like to see a Editor more in line what Far Cry offers.

Haruko

I like Guillotine well enough, but it needs 1 Flag or 1 Bomb, where it really shines.

Also, the loss of the small switchback staircase in the skyscraper makes me a little sad.

arimanius

hmm not sure you're serious. I'm sure 343 has multiple teams working on the different aspects. Comparing the graphics of one game to another is perfectly reasonable.

Plus it's not like I said Halo looks like butt.

Tawpgun

Oh c'mon... you know this is a junk generalization... fess up.

The complaints regarding Forge are just. That's mostly about the utter lack of anything resembling an appealing texture or the smaller visual bits that make a map seem "real". It wasnt that Forge maps are too plain structurally. We all know this.

Not a junk generalization. People complained about visual clutter in the beta. Saying they wished we could have simple clean looking maps. Just an observation I made.

It's just my opinion but I like the clean forge blocks. It's better for forge in general. There were some forge maps in Reach and 4 that looked great. But that's because those were forged with aesthetics in mind and very few instances of pieces melding together. However most community maps are designed gameplay and don't regard how the textures and art on different pieces work together.

With clean pieces everything melds together great.

I much prefer the halo 5 headlong to this atrocity
PrlACm8.jpg

The actual ground textures on these maps are pretty rough though.

Caja 117

I must have missed it, but all this talk of halo 2 maps and no mention of beaver creek? (i know is a remake)

That map was so good in the anniversary map pack.

Not a junk generalization. People complained about visual clutter in the beta. Saying they wished we could have simple clean looking maps. Just an observation I made.

It's just my opinion but I like the clean forge blocks. It's better for forge in general. There were some forge maps in Reach and 4 that looked great. But that's because those were forged with aesthetics in mind and very few instances of pieces melding together. However most community maps are designed gameplay and don't regard how the textures and art on different pieces work together.

With clean pieces everything melds together great.

I much prefer the halo 5 headlong to this atrocity
PrlACm8.jpg

The actual ground textures on these maps are pretty rough though.

I understand... but the Forge maps have no texture... the complaints about them being plain is in direct relation to that... visual... NOT that they have clean lines and are structurally minimal. That's it. They play great but look like garbage.

Compared to this...

It's like they forgot to finish the pieces and everything is a cell-shaded N64 game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom