• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Oh my god the Halo community is something else. JIP disabled? I can't blame 343 for this as people against JIP were so vocal.

Why are people's first instinct "Nooooo 343 please get rid of JIP please". Instead of shouting from the rooftops "Keep JIP 343 keep it just make it so I'm not penalized for joining a losing game".

What you suggest takes a longer time to implement than simply disabling JIP.

Disabling it now gives them time to consider and implement additional changes in future. It's the smarter move since a lot folks had pretty negative experiences with it so soon.

I am impressed by the rapid response here. It's great to see it.

It's remarkably consistent, too. Red guy at Blue Ghost every game on that map last night...

Did the "Pro" team test these maps at all? That kinda bad spawning shouldn't get past a single QA review.

Trup1aya

Not for Arena, but I see BTB as a different beast. Obviously the best case scenario would be JIP isn't needed because people arn't assholes and don't quite a losing game. Maybe the penalties can be upped or looked at now JIP isn't a thing. But I'd rather join a game late then be 3 men down on the losing team, or be steam rolling the other team because we out man them 8 to 4.

Joining a game late sucks for that one person. Being half a team down sucks and waters down the experience for both teams. Again, BTB specific, and hopefully the penalties stop the need for JIP.

1) why should a developer implement a system that sucks for anyone, even if it is just 1 person

2) if you are half a team down, then 4 people are going to get dragged into the JiP nonsense...

If anything JiP needs to be optional. But it definately shouldn't be forced.

I can't wait to finally have a legit session of btb this weekend. Even though i got an overwatch invite, i gotta try to go back n forth as much as possible lol. I really only had a handlful of btb games so far :( ..

i am sad.

Caja 117

1) why should a developer implement a system that sucks for anyone, even if it is just 1 person

2) if you are half a team down, then 4 people are going to get dragged into the JiP nonsense...

Thats true, I still think there should be more lenience for quitters on teams that are down more than half of the players.

BraXzy

Just had a game of BTB and got 1050 Req points for 12 minutes. Seems like a slight bump? Has the change gone into effect? Was hoping for more. Also, I used a legendary Req boost and got 750, thought I'd be swimming in points :'(

arimanius

I can't wait to finally have a legit session of btb this weekend. Even though i got an overwatch invite, i gotta try to go back n forth as much as possible lol. I really only had a handlful of btb games so far :( ..

i am sad.

I've only played enough to get ranked. Was planning on doing nothing but btb this weekend but I got the overwatch invite as well. So now I'll have to fit both in. So much gaming goodness.

I remember the days of BTB when I could get in a Warthog and shred a few guys, before meeting my inevitable death by the many power weapons on the map..Now I hop in the back of a Hog and get 5-shot by a starter weapon, and die before my buddy can even hit the gas..I hope the buff gunner seats just a bit, since they want to give out the BR death machine on spawn.

I remember the days of BTB when I could get in a Warthog and shred a few guys, before meeting my inevitable death by the many power weapons on the map..Now I hop in the back of a Hog and get 5-shot by a starter weapon, and die before my buddy can even hit the gas..I hope the buff gunner seats just a bit, since they want to give out the BR death machine on spawn.

should probably put 10 br's out on the map to pick up and drop them from BR starts.

that is how it always worked in past halo's (probably less BR's though) But I enjoyed the weapons more n past halo's so it's a bit hard to judge this for myself.

Yeah! I think that's why they made the hogs as rocket hogs so people who are in them can get kills a lot quicker than the normal turrent. to think if it was the gauss hog o_O .. rage quitters everywhere lol

I'd laugh if they were just scout hogs.

Glass

1) Because the alternative sucks for everyone, not just 1 person.

2) Having JIP means you don't go 4 people down. That's what happens without the system.

Hopefully quitting penalties mean it's not even an issue, I'd love to have no need for JIP.

Leyasu

Banned
I would prefer to have the option of matchmaking with jip activated or deactivated. Basically let us choose. I jip'd three games last night that were all losers and i didn't give a fuck. Plus, I think that every game that I played last night had people quit and jip.

I hear all the arguments, but I can't help but be disappointed. Especially as it is always an absolute instead of a compromise...

Perhaps it would take too many resources to have both options available? Have people only be match made with JIP and then have people who dont have it. Probably a lot of networking stuff they would have to re-create to have both living together in the matchmaking universe of halo 5: guardians multiplayer mode. something something something.

Trup1aya

2) Having JIP means you don't go 4 people down. That's what happens without the system.

Hopefully quitting penalties mean it's not even an issue, I'd love to have no need for JIP.

1) Developers should never purposefully implemented features that suck for well-to-do players as a means to counter bad behavior

Quitting isn't a feature. It's a non-preventable anti-social behavior. But JiP is just bad.

2) join in progress isn't instant. You will be man down, and while the JiP matchmaking is working, the opposing team is running away with a lead.

Zeta Oni

1) Developers should never purposefully implemented features that suck for well-to-do players as a means to counter bad behavior

Quitting isn't a feature. It's a non-preventable anti-social behavior. But JiP is just bad.

2) join in progress isn't instant. You will be man down, and while the JiP matchmaking is working, the opposing team is running away with a lead.

This. My biggest issue with JiP.

Trup1aya

Perhaps it would take too many resources to have both options available? Have people only be match made with JIP and then have people who dont have it. Probably a lot of networking stuff they would have to re-create to have both living together in the matchmaking universe of halo 5: guardians multiplayer mode. something something something.

I don't see why. Seems like it would be just another parameter... For some players MM would search existing games and/or start new matches. For others MM would only start new matches.

Of course I have no idea what it takes to do any of this... Armchair developer here

I've JIP'd 4 games so far and 3 of the 4 were on teams winning. So, you're not always going to be joining a losing team. JIP gone in ranked BTB is fine with me, but they should get a social BTB playlist going with JIP.

BraXzy

Just had a match that ended up something like 7v5 kinda sucks but I still think part of it is quitting isn't punished well enough yet.

Jinaar

I'm fine with JiP. Better then just being down the whole time in man power. What there should be is a mechanism bonus to REQ that gets implemented either to just the person joining late into a game or to the team that is down for participating till the end.

Last weekend during 2v2 games, I had my wingman drop twice right in the beginning of the match.

First game, I won against 2 players, being as sneaky as I could.
Second game, my K/D took a beating but I lasted to the bitter end.

It would have been great to have someone join up on me to help. Or else it would have been great to be given a bonus to REQ for sticking it out to the end.

Either way, when I join a game in progress, all I know is that I will do my best and the match is usually close to being over and I can get some easy REQ points.

I don't see why. Seems like it would be just another parameter... For some players MM would search existing games and/or start new matches. For others MM would only start new matches.

Of course I have no idea what it takes to do any of this... Armchair developer here

That's where i mention the resource part. Maybe too many man hours or people taken off their actual projects to create another parameter would be too much? idk same here. im like the sitting on the floor developer here, in the next building....

Archpath1

I've got it !

Have join in progress

Because you never know why one leaves
Disconnect, power out, quit, etc...

So the moment one leaves nothing will count towards game score until team is full again

Caja 117

1) the "alternative", is not really an alternative, is how Halo have always been in matchmaking, JiP is a cheap and mediocre solution to solve quit problems.

2) Not Having JiP means Im not going to be trown into undesirable situations, heck, I dont want to start a Matchmaking game halfway trough no matter if the team Im joining is wining or not, I want to start the game from "0".

Spasm

This. I think that it is a fucking terrible decision disabling jip. I am really disappointed.
Squeaky wheels, and all that.

BTB needs JIP, but it needs to be better implemented. Incentivized!

No loss on your record for JIP and losing (a'la Titanfall).

Bonus XP/RP for joining, whether your team was leading or trailing.

Massive bonus XP/RP for joining a trailing team, and pulling out the V. And maybe a nice medal... The Hero of Canton!

Edit: Opt-in only. You will never JIP (and get sweet bonuses) unless you opt-in.

link1201

JiP doesn't fix the problem it was created to fix. People will still leave and the process isn't instant. For example, I have seen tons of people join and leave when they realize they've been put into a game half over. Then by the time another solo player is found ...game over. I think it's ok in the chaotic goodness that is Warzone where the increased player count and ai can alleviate the burden of being down a player or two.

zma1013

I feel sad for chronic quitters. They will never feel the joy of a comeback win because they bail at the first sign of trouble.

MFW I found out that you can charge up the Incinineration Cannon

tumblr_m6mzrs0OOl1rr7c36.gif

Fuchsdh

Truth. There were so many games I've played and chalked them up as a loss. Then miraculously we come back and win. That feeling.

Yep. What makes it hilarious to me is that it's so much easier to stage a comeback in Halo. The people quitting or Dota 2 at least have the fig leaf that with snowballing there's no way to come back.

HTupolev

But we'll look at more nuanced approaches in the coming weeks.
I've got it.

The moment a single person leaves, the game pits each player on the smaller team against a player on the bigger team in a 1v1 pistol duel. If the bigger team wins the most duels, they win. If the smaller team wins the most duels, a random player from the smaller team is pitted in a 1v1 pistol duel against the remaining player from the bigger team that decides the game.

Even if the gametype is Grifball.

darthbob

No more JIP for BTB?

Okay, I guess. So when my team is down by two flag caps and 4 people quit it'll be impossible to make a comeback. Great.

I've got it.

The moment a single person leaves, the game selects an odd number of players from each team and assigns each one an adversary. Each pair is placed in a 1v1 pistol duel, and the team that wins the most number of duels is the winner.

Even if the gametype is Grifball.

Yeah... i'd actually be into that. Sign me up lol. Save for it's sudden death and each pistol only has 6 rounds... FIGHT!

Leyasu

Banned
No....

But we'll look at more nuanced approaches in the coming weeks. This is a clean, quick fix for the moment.

Gotta ask what it has fixed though? Apart from being a gag for the whiners! Not saying that all the people against jip are whiners though. lol

Anyway, it is an absolute, where "perhaps" an alternative could be found. Like having a check box for those that dont mind jip. I dont know what that would take to implement though. I have really been enjoying BTB, it was even better knowing that when the inevitable "player left" would appear at the bottom of the screen, they would be replaced. Oh well.

Still, the euro servers seem to be working lovely so keep that up

BraXzy

Out of interest, what gear is everyone repping atm?

I'm wearing my favourite helmet (Recon) and while I've been using Anubis for awhile since I love the thrusters on it, I've got Recruit Charred on since I now have kick ass skulls and flames on my guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom