• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT2| All Hail The Conquering Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what my eyeball can see. This is Reach's engine with halo 4 changes plus the re-writing of halo 5 for 60fps. They claim it was built from the ground up, but i dont belive that it's brand new just for xbox one.

The movement still reminds me a bit of halo reach to be honest. That clunkyness still remains. Halo 4 just made sure you were aware of a spartans heaviness and injected immersion. Halo 5 put a turbo-charger in it and removed some interior luxury so it can run faster.

Shrug. who knows.

Reach's engine is Halo: CE's engine is Destiny's engine (with a heavy rewrite). It's all blam.

Edit: actually Halo 4 did use a modified version of blam, sorry. I'm sure there's still some code left from blam in the Halo 5 engine but from everything they've said it sounds like it's closer to a genuine rewrite than Halo 4 was.

Halo is a already established franchise too...
And that Halo Engine really needs to be moved into the trash bin. I dont get why the Engine had to me massacred coming from the 360. It just doesnt look good purely for a XboxOne only title.
And i really havent seen that "new mp experience" so far in H5.

Forge is cool and so, but i still would like to see a Editor more in line what Far Cry offers.

I absolutely agree with the engine,they totally need something new. Even though i did enjoy some of the visuals in the campaign. The new mp experience would be warzone. Unless some other game already did it on console then i stand corrected. I feel bad for the dev's who worked their asses off on this product when i hear some things people say to belittle them. Sure, textures in forge are pretty ugly, but they've said they can patch it in.. i mean they covered almost everything people are wanting as they are going to put it in the monthly updates.

maybe i abosrbed too much of the good vibes from the previous pages i can't handle the negativity now :p

Also, comparing games like thos two shouldn't happen either as its clearly obvious the objetives for both teams were absolutely different. Halo 5 wasn't established when they started the project, they had to create things from scratch like the narrative, the scripting ai, the 4 player coop ai, and the list goes on... cant compare what is literally given to a dev and replicate to what they have to create and make work in the universe... it shouldn't even had been a thought. *insert jackie chan meme* lol

I understand... but the Forge maps have no texture... the complaints about them being plain is in direct relation to that... visual... NOT that they have clean lines and are structurally minimal. That's it. They play great but look like garbage.

Compared to this...

It's like they forgot to finish the pieces and everything is a cell-shaded N64 game

Forge. We complained about the lack of textures and ugly looking maps since it was introduced. What did they do? Give us more of that. Nice.

From what my eyeball can see. This is Reach's engine with halo 4 changes plus the re-writing of halo 5 for 60fps. They claim it was built from the ground up, but i dont belive that it's brand new just for xbox one.

The movement still reminds me a bit of halo reach to be honest. That clunkyness still remains. Halo 4 just made sure you were aware of a spartans heaviness and injected immersion. Halo 5 put a turbo-charger in it and removed some interior luxury so it can run faster.

Shrug. who knows.

They actually straight up said they didn't touch the movement code so that it feels like Halo movement.

Glass

With all the post launch content and named updates, I wonder if new Forge pieces could be part of it all? If people want the Reach style pieces, no reason they couldn't be added right?
Nothing can dent my excitement for Forge though. Look how different the 4 BTB maps look. How varied the lighting is (from the skybox and the pieces giving off light). I think once people have the tools for themselves, there'll be a new level of appreciation for it.

Euron

The thing I loved about Forge World was how massive it was. There was so much verticality as well that made things like Speed Halo possible.

Montresor

More random campaign thoughts:

Positives:

*There are savable co-op checkpoints in campaign. Expected in most other games, but this is the first Halo in which I've seen this is possible. I'm very happy with this.

Negatives:

*No subtitles for audio logs... I cannot tell what anyone is saying in the audio logs. It can be really hard to tell what's happening because while an audio log is playing NPCs will talk and there's gunfire and enemies shouting, etc... This is really really annoying. Thankfully you can re-listen to them in the main menu...

I think the forge blocks look better being plain than the textured forerunner ones.

Or how about having plain boxes where textures could be chosen and filled in by the player? This has been an idea since forge first came out in halo3. Problem solved. But i understand 343, this idea has only been floating around since 2007. Need more time.

Or about about having plain boxes where textures could be chosen and filled in by the player? This has been an idea since forge first came out in halo3. Problem solved. But i understand 343, this idea has only been floating around since 2007. Need more time.

NOKYARD has already confirmed they were talking about texture packs when he visited.

Akai__

LMAO just had a guy who was betraying me two times because "my buddy is on the other team and I want him to win". What the fuck is wrong with these people? Please ban him forever...

Could you kick him? Isn't it 2 betrayals = kick?

I kicked him after the 2nd yeah.

Negatives:

*No subtitles for audio logs... I cannot tell what anyone is saying in the audio logs. It can be really hard to tell what's happening because while an audio log is playing NPCs will talk and there's gunfire and enemies shouting, etc... This is really really annoying. Thankfully you can re-listen to them in the main menu...

This really bothered me throughout my play through. I wanted to listen to these things, when I could listen they were genuinely interesting but having to physically stand and listen to them in the midst of a battle when NPCs are chatting was impossible.

It's fine to listen to them later but they do lose some of there context, for example I found an audio log beside a crashed pelican on the last level and without that the context it would be sort of confusing.

Neutral gametypes on waterworks own.

Also it was amusing to me that people cried about halo 5 maps being too visually busy and now forge maps are too plain.

The ground textures are pretty rough, but the actual pieces are the best they've ever been.

Yup. It's the best it has ever been judging from the vids.

Fuchsdh

This really bothered me throughout my play through. I wanted to listen to these things, when I could listen they were genuinely interesting but having to physically stand and listen to them in the midst of a battle when NPCs are chatting was impossible.

It's fine to listen to them later but they do lose some of there context, for example I found an audio log beside a crashed pelican on the last level and without that the context it would be sort of confusing.

They probably should have just ripped off the audio diary system from Bioshock—you can chose to play them later via the select screen or immediately, and the audio adjusts to make it easier to hear.

Leyasu

Banned
True, but that was last generation hardware. They should have at least made the ground look on par with Ravine from Halo 4. I think that's a good compromise IMO.

The ground really is hideous in the halo 5 forge maps so far. If they could improve that a bit, it would go along way to making everything look better.

I think that we are going to have to wait until next gen to get a great looking halo. I'm not saying that they didn't do a great job, but there was only so much that they could do with the xbone. Hopefully the next Xbox won't be as gimped.

Strider

So tired of queuing team arena hoping for an obj game type only to end up with breakout or slayer :/

I'd like it if team arena was changed to the social playlist. Then add a ranked team obj playlist with CTF, strongholds, koth and oddball

Didn't know about this, texture packs will come in handy to achieve a legit looking floor or wall here and there.

Note that it isn't a guarantee they'll actually get them into the game, just that they are aware of the demand and thinking about it.

And yeah, it would help a lot. The geometry in the headlong remake is amazing but it really needs some textures on the buildings to give them some character IMO.

JackHerer

Got the new Tracer helmet.., looks like they messed up the scaling a bit; it's huge! My Spartan looks like a bobblehead with it. Shame because I kind of like the design.

Lol. Amazing. "Vehicles are useless in BTB" "Good" Fuck off with that. So you just regular halo with more people.

BTB in Halo 2 and 3 has always been about the interplay of vehicles and infantry. Controlling vehicles as power items has been a key BTB strategy. Controlling the rockets and lasers so your vehicles can wreck was another key strategy.

All that dissapeared in Halo Reach, 4, and now 5 because they let you spawn with a weapon that is incredibly accurate at incredible ranges.

That's what the anti BR people are complaining about. I fkn love BR's. Hell I'd like Arena to be BR starts over the pistol. But it ruins BTB by making vehicles used for nothing more than transport.

I play BTB because of the vehicle interplay. Not because I just want more players in my game to shoot at.

Could not have said it better. The idea in BTB is the power weapons on the map are to stop the vehicles. People shouldn't be spawning with vehicles killers, you already have Warzone for that.

Could not have said it better. The idea in BTB is the power weapons on the map are to stop the vehicles. People shouldn't be spawning with vehicles killers, you already have Warzone for that.

The guns are fine, the vehicles are just too weak. They need to make them stronger.

Caja 117

True, but that was last generation hardware. They should have at least made the ground look on par with Ravine from Halo 4. I think that's a good compromise IMO.
we dont know if within the developing schedulle and the xbox one hardware limitation this was possible, while maintaining a steady 60 fps experience, but forge world was a grey laggy mess and Im happy I dont have to play on it again.

MauroNL

halo1-1.jpg
halo1-2.jpg
halo1-3.jpg

Get 'em now at your local WallMart

That aint now Mountain Dew or Doritos!?

Spasm

You gotta choke down 12 Hot Pockets for only 2,000rp? You can get that much in 1.5 Warzone matches, 2.5 Arena matches, or 9 BTB matches.

Tawpgun

The guns are fine, the vehicles are just too weak. They need to make them stronger.
Vehicle health isn't the issue. It's how easy you're able to shoot out a ghost driver or a hog gunner.

Hog gunners get LIT UP the moment they get rolling.

Id do BR starts if there was some kind of hog variant that protected gunners more.

Spasm

Vehicle health isn't the issue. It's how easy you're able to shoot out a ghost driver or a hog gunner.

Hog gunners get LIT UP the moment they get rolling.

Id do BR starts if there was some kind of hog variant that protected gunners more.
The Pope-Hog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom