• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT3| Ball Dropped

Miker

I opened up 5 bronze REQ packs online (never opened any) and got...no permanent unlocks? That said, I don't even know what a permanent unlock REQ card looks like.

no, no auto nerfs for christ's sake.

we finally have weapons that are ALL deadly, and people want to return to the shitty bungie balance days?

no no no!

edit: radar adjustments sure, but don't touch autos.

Okay, then 1 Storm Rifle and 1 SMG per map with a 30-45 second spawn, instead of 2 at 15.

Also still haven't gotten my skins from the glicthed armory pack yet :( Spent 320k on 11 skins.

Can we get the ranking system changed away from team wins only for bronze, silver, gold & platinum tiers? It's a shit show playing with randies or small parties. It makes sense in the top tiers of diamond and above to be team win based only but for lower levels it near locks players into shit ranks/games.

I have to shift my playstyle in the first 10-20 kills of a game because I know I have to make up or support the lesser players on a team. It doesn't help in the win dept, they're just shite, no nice way to put it.

Forgive the large screenshots, if it's a problem I'll edit them out. Below are examples of playing slayer or arena in the last day or so and how badly the team win rank metric is compared to individual performance. Every single one of those games below we lost by the end of the game.

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

Screenshot-Original.png

This isn't even factoring in quitters or OS dedis for an Aussie(s), which makes it waaay worse. I'm just trying to focus on why individual performance is a far better metric in lower ranks and stops a player from losing interest through an unnecessary grind up.

I've placed Onyx and high diamond in previous seasons but now I just don't have the will to want to grind through this shit at silver/plat TBH. At least in Halo 3 you could rank up to 50 fairly quick and get into the tiered play where teamwork and all that actually occurred to make the game enjoyable, win or lose.

The current system just makes me not want to play ranked playlists.

I saw many posts today about radar vs. no radar. I'm definitely in the no-radar boat for competitive play at the very least. I hearken back to Halo 1 LAN's with 16v16 games to 100 kills and no radar. So. Good. Not having radar adds a completely different element to the game. Suspense/terror of not ever knowing if someone is going to pop around a corner. How can people not want that in a game?
Man! I am at SR68 and I'm not even half done:

Custom 31%
Loadout 31%
Power Weapons 45%
Boost 97%
i feel your pain. I'm SR62 or 63 I believe and probably just at halfway.

Can we get the ranking system changed away from team wins only for bronze, silver, gold & platinum tiers? It's a shit show playing with randies or small parties. It makes sense in the top tiers of diamond and above to be team win based only but for lower levels it near locks players into shit ranks/games.

I have to shift my playstyle in the first 10-20 kills of a game because I know I have to make up or support the lesser players on a team. It doesn't help in the win dept, they're just shite, no nice way to put it.

Forgive the large screenshots, if it's a problem I'll edit them out. Below are examples of playing slayer or arena in the last day or so and how badly the team win rank metric is compared to individual performance. Every single one of those games below we lost by the end of the game.

A lot of big pics

This isn't even factoring in quitters or OS dedis for an Aussie(s), which makes it waaay worse. I'm just trying to focus on why individual performance is a far better metric in lower ranks and stops a player from losing interest through an unnecessary grind up.

I've placed Onyx and high diamond in previous seasons but now I just don't have the will to want to grind through this shit at silver/plat TBH. At least in Halo 3 you could rank up to 50 fairly quick and get into the tiered play where teamwork and all that actually occurred to make the game enjoyable, win or lose.

It's one reason why I don't care about ranks anymore. What's the point of grinding each month when it's going to get reset and I'll probably start out lower the next month and do it again. I just treat my games like a social playlist and I have a much better time enjoying myself.

It's one reason why I don't care about ranks anymore. What's the point of grinding each month when it's going to get reset and I'll probably start out lower the next month and do it again. I just treat my games like a social playlist and I have a much better time enjoying myself.

So true it hurts mate. I loved ranks in H3 and they've never quite been the same since. I really don't care about "my specific rank" too much, it's the game matching/gameplay quality that translates from reaching higher ranks I want. I can compete at those levels but I'm not spending 3.5 weeks of the month grinding for half a week of that quality; every month.

belushy

Banned
It better have the gat damn drums.

ODST firefight is still the best.

DOOM_Soul-Harvest-Victory_730x411.gif

Doom bringing back dat bro swagger to victory

Anyone else think thsi game actually looks pretty good? I think I've found my Halo PC (if the population doesn't die in half a month like every other MP FPS that isn't CSGO on PC)

Anyone else think thsi game actually looks pretty good? I think I've found my Halo PC (if the population doesn't die in half a month like every other MP FPS that isn't CSGO on PC)

It looks pretty fun, I'll definitely being getting it on PC. I'm mainly getting it for the single player, but the multiplayer doesn't look that bad. The PC pop should be fine since the game will most likely be on Steam.

Yep it's disheartening to work up to a certain point only to lose that and have to start out again at a lower point. Which gives no motivation to try. I really like Ozzy's idea to make gold tier and below not weight wins and losses as much. Individual performance at the lower levels is huge and it's really frustrating to pretty much dominate a game only to lose because your teammates are that bad. Why not make seasons a continuous thing where each month you have the option to re-place in rankings? If you're happy about where you are, then you just keep grinding wherever you're at.

I spotted the word clans in there, SoTheresAChance.gif.

Yep it's disheartening to work up to a certain point only to lose that and have to start out again at a lower point. Which gives no motivation to try. I really like Ozzy's idea to make gold tier and below not weight wins and losses as much. Individual performance at the lower levels is huge and it's really frustrating to pretty much dominate a game only to lose because your teammates are that bad. Why not make seasons a continuous thing where each month you have the option to re-place in rankings? If you're happy about where you are, then you just keep grinding wherever you're at.

I like the idea of keep or throw out your rank. Saves on derankers and frustration of grinding etc. As you say combine that with lower tiered individual stats and we're golden. It appears to be the best of breed solution.

belushy

Banned
Not really interested in a weekly league. I'd greatly prefer a tournament circuit with traditional LANs like CS and Dota.

ESL runs a CSGO pro league. Leagues are more interesting, anyway. Every week there is big matches. No way to hide from a team like CLG by not scrimming them.

All I hope for is somebody to run a few LAN tournaments, that are not necessarily "official" events with decent prize pool. MLG maybe. Che told Adam on twitter that he wants to talk soon, so that could be something.

tootsi666

ESL runs a CSGO pro league. Leagues are more interesting, anyway. Every week there is big matches. No way to hide from a team like CLG by not scrimming them.

All I hope for is somebody to run a few LAN tournaments, that are not necessarily "official" events with decent prize pool. MLG maybe. Che told Adam on twitter that he wants to talk soon, so that could be something.
I just can't be interested in league matches in any sport. Most of the time leagues are just needlessly long group stages before the playoffs and real pressure games. Invidual games matter too little and because of that there are no big matches before the playoffs.

I know that ESL runs a CSGO pro league. I also don't watch it often because there is a LAN every weekend where every match matters.

Money 343i puts to a pro league could be far better used in few LAN tournaments IMO. Weekly games could be online qualifiers for those tournaments if you need them.

It better have the gat damn drums.

ODST firefight is still the best.

DOOM_Soul-Harvest-Victory_730x411.gif

Doom bringing back dat bro swagger to victory

At first glance I too thought this was some form of Halo. Literally I did. I didnt understand what I was seeing, but I interpreted it as some sort of Halo content that I was not aware of.

Chittagong

Gold Member

I'm with you. I grinded solo from Silver 2 to Plat 2 this month, and you are bang on. Just in the last day I have had to endure team mates contributing the following (all different matches):

6K 17D
2K 16D
2K 12D
5K 15D
3K 11D
3K 12D

I routinely look these players up. Typically they have 4-6 games in their history, some of them maybe twenty, and they are thrown into a game of golds and plats.

When matchmaking matches in a player whose net contribution is -10 or more, that's just unreasonable for everyone involved, it's bad match making.

At first glance I too thought this was some form of Halo. Literally I did. I didnt understand what I was seeing, but I interpreted it as some sort of Halo content that I was not aware of.

Some of the devs and artists on the team worked on past Halo games. That's probably why people are seeing a comparison between Halo and the new Doom.

I'm with you. I grinded solo from Silver 2 to Plat 2 this month, and you are bang on. Just in the last day I have had to endure team mates contributing the following (all different matches):

6K 17D
2K 16D
2K 12D
5K 15D
3K 11D
3K 12D

I routinely look these players up. Typically they have 4-6 games in their history, some of them maybe twenty, and they are thrown into a game of golds and plats.

When matchmaking matches in a player whose net contribution is -10 or more, that's just unreasonable for everyone involved, it's bad match making.

We all have bad games or in my case occasionally let my son play a ranked game but the team win ranking system in low tiers exacerbates the issue ten fold. Just as your game history shows.

They could weight parties of 3 or more and that would be another layer to progressively improving the system and retaining players for ranked playlists.

BraXzy

Darn it I can't find a match on my normal account. I suppose it is the wee hours for EU.

Maybe a sign that I'm not yet warmed up enough? HCS has brought back the thirst :D

Trup1aya

I just can't be interested in league matches in any sport. Most of the time leagues are just needlessly long group stages before the playoffs and real pressure games. Invidual games matter too little and because of that there are no big matches before the playoffs.

I know that ESL runs a CSGO pro league. I also don't watch it often because there is a LAN every weekend where every match matters.

Money 343i puts to a pro league could be far better used in few LAN tournaments IMO. Weekly games could be online qualifiers for those tournaments if you need them.

I dunno, I feel like weekly League matches are good for viewership, building storylines and allowing fans to gain affinity to a brand, all important parts of running a sport.

Nothing beats a tournament though, that's why playoffs always pull in the highest ratings.

I'd like to see a ton of official league matches as well as tournaments thrown into the mix fairly frequently.

I'm a broken record at this point but still any word on if they will put oddball and ricochet in playlist yet? Hopefully soon because those actually seem interesting with the Spartan abilities.

Also I thought there was suppose to be a community btb battles playlist coming soon? Is that still happening or just happening later? And nobody get smart with me and say it's always been there. That playlist would be saved if they added developer made maps (I like the maps that are their despite their flaws but played them way too much) and some game types being added. Like some one flag ctf or assault.

I'm a broken record at this point but still any word on if they will put oddball and ricochet in playlist yet? Hopefully soon because those actually seem interesting with the Spartan abilities.

Also I thought there was suppose to be a community btb battles playlist coming soon? Is that still happening or just happening later? And nobody get smart with me and say it's always been there. That playlist would be saved if they added developer made maps (I like the maps that are their despite their flaws but played them way too much) and some game types being added. Like some one flag ctf or assault.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I dunno, I feel like weekly League matches are good for viewership, building storylines and allowing fans to gain affinity to a brand, all important parts of running a sport.

Nothing beats a tournament though, that's why playoffs always pull in the highest ratings.

I'd like to see a ton of official league matches as well as tournaments thrown into the mix fairly frequently.

It's important to have regular competition going on and league play is very easy to follow. You know the matchups, you know the teams, you know the entire schedule ahead of time. It's also very beneficial for the players because it gives them a platform to make a name for themselves, a fan base, and regular content.

Live events where the community can get together is super important and we recognize that. It's absolutely something we are working on for HCS.

Also, very excited to be working with ESL again on HCS. They've got a great team working on Halo.

Detective

Unable to Match.
"There may not be enough players to support a game in this playlist"

Am getting this message now in WZ. Takes forever to find someone.

klaus

Yes Please.

It's really frustrating when mm is doing its darndest to keep your rank lower than it actually could be. I regularly get matched with gold & plat players and hold my own quite well, yet have been struggling for over a week to get out of silver, thanks to random teammates losing the game for me time and time again.

Madness

It's important to have regular competition going on and league play is very easy to follow. You know the matchups, you know the teams, you know the entire schedule ahead of time. It's also very beneficial for the players because it gives them a platform to make a name for themselves, a fan base, and regular content.

Live events where the community can get together is super important and we recognize that. It's absolutely something we are working on for HCS.

Also, very excited to be working with ESL again on HCS. They've got a great team working on Halo.

Hopefully there is talk about player retention and engagement beyond just the event themselves. Crazy that Halo gets 99k viewers and then nose dives down to 2k viewers or less when the event is over. Get the pro team streaming random matches, have another 343 vs world match day, speak with the Halo pros to consistently stream and get their name out.

You guys are definitely doing a great Tashi. Even something like player spotlights are awesome. Maybe look into getting the Sprints video crew to do segments on CLG EG Renagdes Allegiance as they prepare for tourneys and whatnot. Look how much guys like Nadeshot, Formal, Enable and the rest have moved to Cod and just seem their brand skyrocket. The OpTic vision series is a good example.

snip

i've pretty much given up on caring about rank anymore.

i try and play team arena as though it's a social playlist, and it makes it a bit more fun.

last season i hit diamond, but i even said on here it was 100% because of MM luck - which typically works against me.

can be frustrating if you actually give a damn.

Eh I don't really care about the bro stuff, since I play solo 99.9% of the time I just leave directly after a game ended so it doesn't bother me win or lose.

And yeah, forget rank if you are not good enough to be in mid-high diamond or above. I just sit my ass at Gold 1 and only care about my personal stats, teamwork or win ratio be damned, I don't really give a shit how those teammates think.

Madness

I don't care about rank either. I know if my eyes were better I would get at least diamond. The will is there but the reflexes are slow and the vision is messed.

I just now play some random matches when I have free time. None of my friends play anymore. They bailed after MCC for good. Just have one cousin left I play with.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Eh I don't really care about the bro stuff, since I play solo 99.9% of the time I just leave directly after a game ended so it doesn't bother me win or lose.

And yeah, forget rank if you are not good enough to be in mid-high diamond or above. I just sit my ass at Gold 1 and only care about my personal stats, teamwork or win ratio be damned, I don't really give a shit how those teammates think.

Yeah, I need to think more like this.

Matchmaking Toggles:
Do you want to match based on skill? Y/N
Party restrictions? Y/N

Search playlist.​

Could even do something where if ____ toggles are set to Yes, then you'll be playing for ranks, otherwise social. But no, here we are with the same old matchmaking and poor playlist management we've had since 2004, arguably the single biggest deterrent to Halo multiplayer. Broken record already, but keeping Halo 5's base as the multiplayer platform allows them to focus on much needed features and generally making the experience better without starting over.

How to fix the playlists:

- Create an HCS Playlist with competitive modes and maps with whatever the settings are (perhaps no radar this season?)

- Remove Team Arena, and put "Team Objective" instead with Flag, Strongholds, Assault, Ricochet, Oddball

- Keep the rest of the playlists

Madness

They definitely have to integrate the newer maps and gametypes for pro league. I've had my damn fill of coliseum CTF, Rig Strongholds, Regret Slayer etc. Let's get assault in. And as bad as they can play at times let's get Torque, Riptide and Overgrowth in as well.

Matchmaking Toggles:
Do you want to match based on skill? Y/N
Party restrictions? Y/N

Search playlist.​

But no, here we are with the same old matchmaking and poor playlist management we've had since 2004, arguably the single biggest deterrent to Halo multiplayer.

Agreed, don't even start me on matchmaking filter/toggles.

MCC was primed for it, arena Halo 5 missed the mark completely in this regard IMO. SMH that development/design meetings still don't deliver basic toggles. Giving players their choices will bring players back AND keep them while reducing quitters and maximising close outcomes of games.

I'm guessing population, or lack thereof, simply doesn't give them room to move on these features.

Examples time: slayer and arena playlist in H5 could be condensed to one playlist. Toggles would allow players to run slayer or objective only if they choose to. Regional dedis? Again player choice opportunity missed.

lol, and i just got matched against a champion [he had a silver, gold, and plat on his team... i think].

messaged him to say "bro, wtf you doing here?".

after a brief chat, turns out he wasn't even carrying friends or anything, he actually just got randomly matched with us.

needless to say, quickest game of CTF on fathom i've ever lost.

edit: side note - why in the eff can i not quit without penalty if someone on my team leaves / disconnects? so weird to be forced to play it out, knowing damn well we can't win [especially in a mode like assault, for example].

ugh.

daedalius

My collectors edition is already ordered

I've been playing doom since it was a new thing

Top Bottom