• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Fuchsdh

That's what makes Halo awesome, doesn't take itself too seriously.

Pretty much. Even in the original you had Grunts saying random crazy stuff and giant purple vehicles and guns shooting bright bolts of plasma. Halo has always been a step above "grounded" or "gritty" and that has been to its benefit.

Kibbles

I couldn't find a good .gif of it, so here's the 3-spartan victory animation from the Beta for all your brobro needs:

bvWF2BJ.gif

Beta had character. These lame ass same old poses we have now aren't fun to see at all.

mo60

Naptimez is going to end up with a CSR of around 16.8k in SWAT by the rank reset.He will have to regain that 16.8k CSR again in the next season. Also that dude I mentioned before that is near SR152 is about to reach it. He will reach it tomorrow most likely or later tonight.

klaus

tumblr_m8d3ukxIfA1r8sq0so1_500.gif

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Please add to Halo 5, please and thanks Tashi!
Uh GBP has been in since launch, I always use it when playing coop
Yyyyyaaaaayyyyyy ;)

Edit: Or are you talking about WZ? Then I would have to agree!

BraXzy

Naptimez is going to end up with a CSR of around 16.8k in SWAT by the rank reset.He will have to regain that 16.8k CSR again in the next season. Also that dude I mentioned before that is near SR152 is about to reach it. He will reach it tomorrow most likely or later tonight.

I wonder what 343 will do to celebrate the first 152. I wonder if they expected anyone to actually hit it :O

mo60

I wonder what 343 will do to celebrate the first 152. I wonder if they expected anyone to actually hit it :O

People were going to reach it eventually.It doesn't take over a year for the most dedicated players to reach it from what I noticed. I would have expected the most dedicated players to reach it by the end of the summer or early fall. The majority of the higher SR players are concentrated around the 148-150 range looking at halotracker right now.I'm actually curious if they mention anything about that player reaching SR152 when he does reach it. I'm actually kinda curious how he managed to get this far in SR so quickly. I heard rumors about how he did it on the web.

Trup1aya

It's not that I don't think they fit some kind of "serious, competitive tone" the game has. I actually think it reflects a sort of competitiveness that is dumb. I don't play/watch sports and I'm not into the hype/posturing. I also think the boring "stand and look at the camera" victory animations are a pointless waste of time. You can easily play 30 matches in a short time span and lose half of them, so the vanity of showing off when you win is stupid and meaningless to me. I'm more about the journey of a match. Win or lose, do you have some cool/funny plays? Record a clip and share it. That's nice.

Yup, this is just about the response one could expect from someone who doesn't understand sports. What you consider the "vanity of showing off" is merely the exclamation of joy after accomplishing a difficult task.

These actions aren't exclusive to "competitive sports". From the toddler clapping his hands when she learns to tie her shoes, to the athlete who dances after a touchdown, to the rocket scientist who jumps into the air after a monitoring a successful launch, expressing emotion through physical exclamation is a standard human reaction to overcoming difficulty.

As for the poses. They were perfectly human respondes to victory. Most of the complaints seemed to stem from the idea that Spartans are supposed to be above displays of emotion, or even incapable of possessing such emotion. Neither of which is true, especially for Spartan IVs.

Beyond that though, the option to choose victory poses is an idea with massive potential, as it would have enabled players to further express themselves ingame...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
TFW you're losing and playing like crap and thinking "sorry guys" but then you look and you're the best player on your team and you're like "oh."

Then another match ends like this and you look at the burden of carrying like "I never asked for this."

So I had been curious about that "War Was In The Gates" title of the opening segment of Reunion, and it turns out it comes from a Bible verse - more specifically, Judges 5:8.

"The peasantry ceased, they ceased in Israel, Until I, Deborah,
arose, Until I arose, a mother in Israel. "New gods were chosen;
Then war was in the gates. Not a shield or a spear was seen
Among forty thousand in Israel. "My heart goes out to the
commanders of Israel, The volunteers among the people; Bless the
LORD!…"

Kind of some interesting (and evidently deliberate) parallels with the actual story at the time, past symbolism in the franchise (with the whole shield-sword thing), etc. Neat.jpg

Nowise10

You can't add toggle options for everything in the game. That is an animation that plays on the map that everyone sees. My little knowledge of the Halo engine, it wouldn't work.

Trup1aya

You can't add toggle options for everything in the game. That is an animation that plays on the map that everyone sees. My little knowledge of the Halo engine, it wouldn't work.

Toggle:

_Show victory scene
_Dont show victory scene

Seems easy enough.

Don't forget you get to show off your customisation config and unlocks in the winning poses. Force my enemies to bow down to my scanner helmet, be right back changing my helmet :)

Dice

Yup, this is just about the response one could expect from someone who doesn't understand sports. What you consider the "vanity of showing off" is merely the exclamation of joy after accomplishing a difficult task.

These actions aren't exclusive to "competitive sports". From the toddler clapping his hands when she learns to tie her shoes, to the athlete who dances after a touchdown, to the rocket scientist who jumps into the air after a monitoring a successful launch, expressing emotion through physical exclamation is a standard human reaction to overcoming difficulty.
Okay, so as surprising as it may be, it turns out I'm not a fucking robot. I've actually spent my entire life in the arts so I know about outward expression. For me the personal expression happens in real life, not in my game character doing a little dance or posture for the other team to see, especially for every single match, not all of which are actually notable as some great achievement.

So I had been curious about that "War Was In The Gates" title of the opening segment of Reunion, and it turns out it comes from a Bible verse - more specifically, Judges 5:8.

Kind of some interesting (and evidently deliberate) parallels with the actual story at the time, past symbolism in the franchise (with the whole shield-sword thing), etc. Neat.jpg

Yeah, pretty much everything in Halo is a religious metaphor, homage, allegory, etc. And from a bunch of religions too. I think we had a couple pages on "that other site" talking about this before. I remember Jem (I think) saying something along the lines of "I never noticed cuz religion is boring" or something.

Some of the references are more subtle like the one you mentioned, whereas others (like Mjolnir or The Ark or The Covenant) are practically thrown in your face. I'm sure some liberal arts major can (or has) have a field day discussing the references and potential meaning within and without the lore.

Okay, so as surprising as it may be, it turns out I'm not a fucking robot. I've actually spent my entire life in the arts so I know about outward expression. For me the personal expression happens in real life, not in my game character doing a little dance or posture for the other team to see, especially for every single match, not all of which are actually notable as some great achievement.
Like, um, k. This is like those people who can't understand how people can enjoy Guitar Hero because it's not a real instrument. I'm not even gonna get into the video games ARE art retort either. Just because the game uses an avatar and not a teleconference so we can get people's "IRL personal expressions" doesn't mean it's not a valid experience. Who's to say what is and isn't a personal achievement for the player?

Personally, I think DOOM got it right in this regard. You don't even need a toggle. It just shows the top people for the match, and they can choose to do taunts/celebrations/wtf/etc after the match is over. There's a whole bunch. Some are silly, some are serious. You unlock them and can choose which ones are assigned to your D-pad and personalize it for yourself. Of course this is the same game that let me make all my guns bright pink/purple, so...

God I wish we got victory animations. Been playing Blops3 and those victory animations are... Jesus Herbert Christ they are terrible. I loved DOOM's, mainly cause I looked like a Chinese knockoff of Iron Man. Never has a pelvic thrust had so much copyright violation.

Dice

So when is the update supposed to drop? First week of May? As nice as SF is I'm getting a bit fatigued even though I'm overall playing better these days and blasting through silvers at a good clip. Been watching Dark Souls 3 videos thinking a nice plodding SP game would be a good change of pace.

So when is the update supposed to drop? First week of May? As nice as SF is I'm getting a bit fatigued even though I'm overall playing better these days and blasting through silvers at a good clip. Been watching Dark Souls 3 videos thinking a nice plodding SP game would be a good change of pace.

They said the reveal stream wont even be in the first week of may, so probably late next week at the earliest

Dice

They said the reveal stream wont even be in the first week of may, so probably late next week at the earliest
...so while people were hopeful that Ghosts of Meridian getting delayed meant a double update for April, instead it seems there was no April update planned and everything got pushed back, too? No wonder they gave us more SF when they realized we like it.

I just came home from the movie theater I watched Captain America Civil War tell it was awesome but can someone tell me please if I missed any new news?

I think mo999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 just JIP'd into the end of our game.

EDIT: I think he just matched us solo in the next game too lol.

Also it is ridiculous for 343 to advertise the UNSC units weapon skins as contents of the Reach update, they are already in the game with Meridian FFS.

Dice

Doesn't matter, the data is already in the game, is already up on waypoint, is obtainable through whatever means.
Yeah but they had to hire those bioengineers to figure out how to infect Spartans for the next update.

mo60

I think mo999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 just JIP'd into the end of our game.

EDIT: I think he just matched us solo in the next game too lol.

And the team I was on in that second match got crushed by you guys.I was camping on top of one of the garages my team captured for like the majority of that match with my sentinel DMR I even joined you guys in a third match where we won.Some random guy, TCKaos and me were on top of the leaderboard in that match. I was matched with I Pingy I also earlier and in that match my team got rid of the enemy team's core in around 10minutes and 30 seconds.

One of the matches I was in with you guys.
Screenshot-Original.png

The match were I was teamed with I Pingy I.
Screenshot-Original.png

Top Bottom