• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

How many of you will mess with the advanced sens options that will come with the new update?

Like the elite controller craziness - i dont think i will mess with it =/....

Speaking of aiming. I felt like i went back to ground 0 couple days ago. Aim became super sloppy. Over aiming, under aiming. Tried to adjust by uppping my sense/accel to 5/5.

='( feels bad man.... I don't want to be in diamond anymore LOL

How many of you will mess with the advanced sens options that will come with the new update?

Like the elite controller craziness - i dont think i will mess with it =/....

Speaking of aiming. I felt like i went back to ground 0 couple days ago. Aim became super sloppy. Over aiming, under aiming. Tried to adjust by uppping my sense/accel to 5/5.

='( feels bad man.... I don't want to be in diamond anymore LOL

Ive never seen this. A game needing so many fucking sensitivity options. Man in COD i pick "4" and its smooth as butter. Why the fuck does this game need so many god damn sensitivity options. Its beyond ridiculous at this point.

Ive never seen this. A game needing so many fucking sensitivity options. Man in COD i pick "4" and its smooth as butter. Why the fuck does this game need so many god damn sensitivity options. Its beyond ridiculous at this point.
Because they bent over backwards to cater to the pro players.

Movement-wise Halo 5 feels great, but its actual shooting aspect isn't right.

Akai__

Because they bent over backwards to cater to the pro players.

Movement-wise Halo 5 feels great, but its actual shooting aspect isn't right.

Then they did a pretty bad job, as the pros were the 1st ones that complained about how the aiming is really weird and nothing like other Halo's or the actual Halo 5 Beta.

That's a good question. However, to compare it to that.. ehh... . lol its more hand holding than buttery smooth. A discussion for a different thread.

Regarding the aiming differences that went from 4 to 5, we'll never know. We'd need some sandbox people in to give us more details of why.

I'm asking if people will use those new options, or if they will just leave it as default. So, will you?

Trup1aya

There are so many basic problems in warzone. Like the following:

- The bases. Most of the time, you'll get 2 out of 3 which is, i think, normal. But it rarely affects the actual results of the game. I dunno how many times our teams had 2 out of 3 bases the whole game and still got destroyed. How is that logical at all. Yes i know you have to go kill the AI as well, but ultimately my team owning most bases for most of the game should give your team a much bigger advantage than it does. As it is now, i dont see the point of getting more than ONE base and just going after the AI's. Youll end up winning more often. The bases as it is now, are a gigantic waste of time other than the one you need so your core doesn't go down.

- Losing bases. Why in the hell doesnt my HUD not inform me that we're in the process of losing a certain base? Hell, have the announcer say something like "losing base so and so". Or those base icons on my hud, why dont they just have the icon of the base that im losing "blink" so the whole team fucking knows thats its happening. As it is now, if your not right beside it, no one knows whats happening.

Warzone right now does so many things badly including that shitty matchmaking that i dont even wanna go into it anymore. Its as if they dont play their games at all.

I don't understand your issue with this... You think bases should have more direct score influence, just because?

As it stands controlling bases, 1) gives your team spawn options, 2) holds the key two both teams cores 3) adds to your score.

How can you say those things don't affect who wins? Even when it comes to getting AI kills, Controlling the bases near these AI greatly INCREASES your chances at killing them. And controlling 2 or more bases greatly DECREASES your chances of getting your core destroyed.

If you are frequently getting destroyed while controlling 2/3rds of the bases, then your team is failing to take advantage of your map control.

That's a good question. However, to compare it to that.. ehh... . lol its more hand holding than buttery smooth. A discussion for a different thread.

Regarding the aiming differences that went from 4 to 5, we'll never know. We'd need some sandbox people in to give us more details of why.

I'm asking if people will use those new options, or if they will just leave it as default. So, will you?

Im not touching anything anymore. If they cant do it right by default (like its always been) then im done playing with it. This is not only getting ridiculously complicated but its also not user friendly in the slightest.

Very good to know.

When they need to post a video and an article on their website that explains you how the sensitivity options works now, theres problems.

I don't understand your issue with this... You think bases should have more direct score influence, just because?

As it stands controlling bases, 1) gives your team spawn options, 2) holds the key two both teams cores 3) adds to your score.

How can you say those things don't affect who wins? Even when it comes to getting AI kills, Controlling the bases near these AI greatly INCREASES your chances at killing them. And controlling 2 or more bases greatly DECREASES your chances of getting your core destroyed.

If you are frequently getting destroyed while controlling 2/3rds of the bases, then your team is failing to take advantage of your map control.

As i said, you can easily win games by just having one base and focusing on the AIs. Most of the AIs spawn evenly, some on your side and their side and the big ones in the middle. At this point, i see no point in even trying to capture more than one base and just killing the legendary bosses instead.

When they need to post a video and an article on their website that explains you how the sensitivity options works now, theres problems.

Do we know if CS:GO has sens options like this? Trying to see what other FPSs out there with a professional crowd do. I don't want to believe they just have 1 sens setting. i may be wrong though.

It could be a problem for a user who just wants to pick up and play. It may be a blessing for those who wanted more control over their aiming perferences. either way, there's no going back.

tootsi666

Do we know if CS:GO has sens options like this? Trying to see what other FPSs out there with a professional crowd do. I don't want to believe they just have 1 sens setting. i may be wrong though.
CSGO has tons of different sensitivity options (acceleration, zoom sensitivity etc.) and each option can be heavily fine tuned.

Trup1aya

It could be a problem for a user who just wants to pick up and play. It may be a blessing for those who wanted more control over their aiming perferences. either way, there's no going back.

No clue why the default wouldn't be "exactly like every previous Halo" ... From there, they could add options for those who'd like to tinker.

But this is 343... From day 1, they've aimed to fix a bunch of things that weren't broken... Along with a few things that were broken.

Problems or them doing the right thing? They could just leave the aiming as it is, but they decided to give us the tools to adjust it how we like, and I greatly appreciate that.

Having the same values for vertical and horizontal axes is a must for me, so you bet your sweet tits ima adjust my settings when that update drops. Sometimes devs mess up and get it wrong, so this is their way of not only amending that, but we're finally getting options people have been wanting for a long time.

Well it isnt on these consoles so does it matter? I know to switch to 60FPS changes things a bit so maybe thats why but man, ive never had problems with halos controls before, ever. Not until halo5 that is. Now, i cant find a setting that feels great. The more options they add the more fearful i am that they dont know what their actually doing in terms of controls. No console game has ever needed this. Not the good ones anyway.

More options is nice but at one point, controls should just feel smooth, like COD. Yeah theres auto-aim and all that but still, no one struggles when picking up and playing those games, which is the way consoles games should be. yeah you might need to lower or higher it depending on how you like it, but thats it. More than that is overkill.

Trup1aya

As i said, you can easily win games by just having one base and focusing on the AIs. Most of the AIs spawn evenly, some on your side and their side and the big ones in the middle. At this point, i see no point in even trying to capture more than one base and just killing the legendary bosses instead.

I can't imagine that clinging to a single base for the entirety of a match the "easy" way to win... Especially since the opposing team would likely aim to draw your attention away from the AI by forcing you to defend your one and only base from being captured... And you'd have no choice but to divert your attention, or else give them access to your core.

I don't have the stats, but I'd imagine that teams that hold the majority of the bases, for the majority of the match win the majority of the matches.

Though bosses spawn "evenly", the team with two bases has immediate access to bosses on both sides of the map. The team with one base does not have that luxury. And even if you did get all the bosses on your side, and the opponent only got the ones on the other side, you'd still have to deal with the fact that the other team was scoring twice as many points for the entirety of the match. Your strategy is an uphill battle... There's no logic to it.

Well it isnt on these consoles so does it matter? I know to switch to 60FPS changes things a bit so maybe thats why but man, ive never had problems with halos controls before, ever. Not until halo5 that is. Now, i cant find a setting that feels great. The more options they add the more fearful i am that they dont know what their actually doing in terms of controls. No console game has ever needed this. Not the good ones anyway.

More options is nice but at one point, controls should just feel smooth, like COD. Yeah theres auto-aim and all that but still, no one struggles when picking up and playing those games, which is the way consoles games should be. yeah you might need to lower or higher it depending on how you like it, but thats it. More than that is overkill.

I don't know why you're comparing it to CoD, a twitch ADS shooter that feels completely different, those game have a ton of aim assist, same goes for Destiny. The lower aim assist on the pistol is what throws people thew the loop. Having more options is never bad thing. No doubt someone will list settings that "feels like old Halo." that you can just copy. I wouldn't worry about it.

Also complaining about catering to pro players is rather silly. It's one of the reasons we have the most balanced weapon sandbox in series history. As well as excellent competitive maps such as Fathom, Truth and Coliseum. Catering to pro players benefits EVERYONE, even if you don't care about the esports aspect, which is fine.

CSGO has tons of different sensitivity options (acceleration, zoom sensitivity etc.) and each option can be heavily fine tuned.

Thanks for that info.

No clue why the default wouldn't be "exactly like every previous Halo" ... From there, they could add options for those who'd like to tinker.

But this is 343... From day 1, they've aimed to fix a bunch of things that weren't broken... Along with a few things that were broken.

^see above. Obviously the aiming adjsutments are in line with moving Halo 5 to become a more professional FPS.

Having the magnetism in Halo 2 wouldn't work. Halo 3 - kappa. Reach, 4? nope. We seen how well they did in the past.... If any of those aiming preferences were present in Halo 5, i imagine weapon balance wouldn't be anywhere near as perfect as it is right now. Leaving it like the past halo's wouldn't work with the sandbox adjustments made to Halo 5's Magnetism/aimAssit.

Problems or them doing the right thing? They could just leave the aiming as it is, but they decided to give us the tools to adjust it how we like, and I greatly appreciate that.

Having the same values for vertical and horizontal axes is a must for me, so you bet your sweet tits ima adjust my settings when that update drops. Sometimes devs mess up and get it wrong, so this is their way of not only amending that, but we're finally getting options people have been wanting for a long time.

So you're complaining that we are getting options to fine tune aiming settings to the individual player's preference? Ok.

Im complaining because it isnt intuitive or user friendly, and with the next patch theyre just making it more complicated that it really needs to be. When have people ever needed to go on a website, to read up on control options in order to figure out what does what for a console game? Its ridiculous.

The console games userbase is for the most part casual gamers. You think any of them are bothering going on their website to figure this shit out?

The base game should control well and smooth by default. if they wanna "add" advanced options for those who want it, fine. Do it. But as it is now this isnt the case. Theyre adding these options because its not right by default, which is the whole fucking problem.

Haruko

Yup, same here lol. Halo needs another big spin-off.

Halo Kart is long overdue. And hey, it'd take care of the fact that we don't have a Race gametype yet again.
Y7Pdt3q.png

But you don't have to go to the website to figure it out lol, the descriptions are right there in the game. If you can't figure it out from that, maybe you shouldn't be touching things in the first place.

We're only talking about a few options, after all.
Halo Kart is long overdue. And hey, it'd take care of the fact that we don't have a Race gametype yet again.
Y7Pdt3q.png
Honestly, we could use a Halo Kart or something goofy for the Xbox that uses its exclusive IP's.

Y7Pdt3q.png

We need HALO: Grunt's day off

-Play as an everyday grunt going through training to become one of the Convenent! Learn rituals. Understand how to use a plasma pistol! Remember who the demon is and why we must destroy him! ..But today isn't a normal day.. Play now to see where this Grunt take's his day off!

lol idk... i just like grunts =>

jem0208

I was thinking about ODST style spin offs today which could fill the potential gap for Halo releases in 2017. One idea I had which I think would be awesome would be to play as the Arbiter in the Covenant/Swords of Sanghelios war. It would serve as a really good prequel to 6 as it would (presumably) really allow them to flesh out the Arbiter and the Swords of Sanghelios and it appears like they're going to play a pretty big role in 6.

Also we'd get to play as the Arbiter again and that would be awesome.

So it is a Whiplash then.

Pretty much...

Trup1aya

Thanks for that info.

^see above. Obviously the aiming adjsutments are in line with moving Halo 5 to become a more professional FPS.

Having the magnetism in Halo 2 wouldn't work. Halo 3 - kappa. Reach, 4? nope. We seen how well they did in the past.... If any of those aiming preferences were present in Halo 5, i imagine weapon balance wouldn't be anywhere near as perfect as it is right now. Leaving it like the past halo's wouldn't work with the sandbox adjustments made to Halo 5's Magnetism/aimAssit.

Its not the weapon balance, aim assist or magnetism I take issue with... It's the controllers response to input.

They should have defaulted with translation and acceleration curves that mirrored previous halo's by default. Then let people (and pros) tweak as they see fit.

To be clear, in fine with the current default controls. But I know a lot of people who quit before the first options became available and never came back... And it was directly due to the acceleration curve.

Caja 117

Im complaining because it isnt intuitive or user friendly, and with the next patch theyre just making it more complicated that it really needs to be. When have people ever needed to go on a website, to read up on control options in order to figure out what does what for a console game? Its ridiculous.

The console games userbase is for the most part casual gamers. You think any of them are bothering going on their website to figure this shit out?

The base game should control well and smooth by default. if they wanna "add" advanced options for those who want it, fine. Do it. But as it is now this isnt the case. Theyre adding these options because its not right by default, which is the whole fucking problem.

No, but they also don't care too much about how their aiming feels, they probably will play in default controller input and use the Xbox One controller that came with the Xbox, the advance options are made for the hardcore Halo player that will not even play Halo on the default controller input settings, and some of them will even *GAAAASP* do button mapping and buy 150 dollar controllers.

Its not the weapon balance, aim assist or magnetism I take issue with... It's the controllers response to input.

They should have defaulted with translation and acceleration curves that mirrored previous halo's by default. Then let people (and pros) tweak as they see fit.

To be clear, in fine with the current default controls. But I know a lot of people who quit before the first options became available and never came back... And it was directly due to the acceleration curve.

If people quit Halo 5 that early on, I'd argue they weren't in it for the long haul anyway.

The only thing that can attract new players to this franchise is a server browser so they could try to play what they want, when they want. Matchmaking is the true enemy of Halo.

Who needs to go read an article to figure out what "horizontal sensitivity" and "vertical sensitivity" mean? "Aim acceleration", "inner/outer dead zones", are those terms too complex? Each of these options has descriptive text for fuck sake.

The advanced control settings are completely optional though, and solely for players who think the aiming doesn't feel right compared to past halo games. When a new player tries out Halo 5, the default settings work and need no tinkering. New players are unlikely to compare it to prior halo games, so there shouldn't be any "hey this doesn't feel right to me" complaints.

No, but they also don't care too much about how their aiming feels, they probably will play in default controller input and use the Xbox One controller that came with the Xbox, the advance options are made for the hardcore Halo player that will not even play Halo on the default controller input settings, and some of them will even *GAAAASP* do button mapping and buy 150 dollar controllers.

As i already said, thats fine by me when the game controls well by default, which it doesnt.

Fuchsdh

Yup, same here lol. Halo needs another big spin-off.

I'm surprised they haven't, really. We've got the mainline games, Halo Wars, and the console/handheld twin-stick shooters (and the MMO that fortunately never saw the light of day). Considering that Halo Wars 2 is not going to sell gangbusters, especially since RTS seems like a withering genre, you think you'd see about expanding into other genres.

BraXzy

Eh, it's an optional extra setting that is more in depth than simple sensitivity. It'd make sense to create a video explaining exactly what it affects. More options are never a bad thing especially when things like sensitivity which everyone had preferences for.

Super moot argument when it's optional extras.

:lol At Modern Warfare remastered being sold with IW only, that's a pass unless I can buy a code.

I hope Halo 5 support gets an additional year of map support, at the very least. Would love more Arena maps, hopefully REQ sales are good.

Trup1aya

If people quit Halo 5 that early on, I'd argue they weren't in it for the long haul anyway.

The only thing that can attract new players to this franchise is a server browser so they could try to play what they want, when they want. Matchmaking is the true enemy of Halo.

I'd refute that argument...

They were really excited to play the game (people I'd played halo with for years), but they didn't have time to get over the frustration they were having with the controls... So they went to games that were less frustrating.

When someone is experiencing more frustration that fun, you can't expect them to stick around. Especially when there time is limited.

I'm hoping they come back if we ever get a free trial or massive sale. Then they can try the new controls

Caja 117

Honestly, i wouldnt consider myself hardcore or casual. I think im right in the middle which is why i think that i see those problems more easily then some.
You do post on a Halo thread where people can get info on how to change Halo 5 advanced sensitivity. your original post is talking about real casual, which you don't seem to be.

I'd refute that argument...

They were really excited to play the game (people I'd played halo with for years), but they didn't have time to get over the frustration they were having with the controls... So they went to games that were less frustrating.

When someone is experiencing more frustration that fun, you can't expect them to stick around. Especially when there time is limited.

I'm hoping they come back if we ever get a free trial or massive sale. Then they can try the new controls

Im with Funknown they probably were going to leave anyways. I doubt it was only the aiming, maybe a factor but not the only factor.

BraXzy

Honestly, i wouldnt consider myself hardcore or casual. I think im right in the middle which is why i think that i see those problems more easily then some.

In this case you're seeing a problem that doesn't exist. Casuals will never notice or change it unless they really want to in which case they can look it up?

Im with Funknown they probably were going to leave anyways. I doubt it was only the aiming, maybe a factor but not the only factor.
Yeah, and if the only thing that could get them back is a massive sale or free trial because they sold the game, then I think that's telling enough lol.

No way people leave just because of the aiming, because of the skill gap and learning curve? Sure. They're just going to play CoD though, which has zero learning curve and a small skill gap. But they were always going to flock to that. As FUNKNOWN said, they were going to move on regardless.

Strider

First game of new season was against Roy from EG.

It was laggy as fuck too.

Then my game crashed.

Good start to this month lol

Trup1aya

No way people leave just because of the aiming, because of the skill gap and learning curve? Sure. They're just going to play CoD though, which has zero learning curve and a small skill gap. But they were always going to flock to that. As FUNKNOWN said, they were going to move on regardless.

I dunno. We people come to me and say I don't like the game specifically because they don't like the controls, I don't think it's fair to say that they must have been generally disinterested. The way a game feels is one of the most important parts of the experience.

I'm surprised they haven't, really. We've got the mainline games, Halo Wars, and the console/handheld twin-stick shooters (and the MMO that fortunately never saw the light of day). Considering that Halo Wars 2 is not going to sell gangbusters, especially since RTS seems like a withering genre, you think you'd see about expanding into other genres.

I want to play GTA:Sanghelios. You can switch between a Jackal, Grunt, and Brute who make up a small band of thieves. They got caught up in stealing and fencing military goods and ships from both the Swords of Sanghelios and the New Covenant, with plenty of morally gray areas between the two opposing sides.

Explore different cities across the planet, punch random Elites on the streets, jump in the way of oncoming Brute Choppers, and go into Covenant strip clubs... Whatever the hell those would be 0_o

I don't actually want to play this. If you think this is a good idea... You're wrong.

Top Bottom