• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

and you get this
VBZcKNB.png

lame

What do you mean? IT'S BEAUTIFUL!

favicon.png

Caja 117

You broke it down to black and white, casual and hardcore. I was just wondering where the "hardcore" point was at where you are able to critique. I just picked Onyx because reasons.

Reading your reasoning sounds like english isn't your first language, so its fine if you didn't particularly get my meaning.

I never said there was a point that gives you right to criticize a game or not (casuals or hardcore) and been hardcore have litle to do with how good you are, been a hardcore gamer means how much you have invested (not money wise, but in every sense of the word) in the franchise in the long term. Casuals will usually just pick up the game and move on very easely and not expend too much playing time on the game, when you hear made to cater the casuals it means making the learning curve lower and the game more assesible from the box because casual players are not like any of us that will dedicate hours learning the smallest of detail from the game.

To a point a Veteran Halo player would had a more acceptable critique in Halo aiming because his point of refference will be other Halos, while a casual will probrably criticize it comparing it to a different franchise, a critique none the less, but I will give more weight to someone that played other Halo before instead if someone that never played it. Is the same with Witcher 3, a lot of people didnt like the fighting mechanic to a point of even quiting the game, but this came for newcomer of the series, while veteran players usually called it an improvement over witcher 2.

BraXzy

Yep The next closest was PISTLIN if I recall.

Yeah just checked, HaloTracker hasn't updated to reflect the 152 yet but Pistln is indeed the only other 151. It must suck to put in all that time and not hit it first, if that was their goal. Quite a ways off though from the looks of it, 151 to 152 is like most of the prior XP combined right?

33463ea1715867e628451a46d0767d3b.png

MaGlock

Yeah just checked, HaloTracker hasn't updated to reflect the 152 yet but Pistln is indeed the only other 151. It must suck to put in all that time and not hit it first, if that was their goal. Quite a ways off though from the looks of it, 151 to 152 is like most of the prior XP combined right?

33463ea1715867e628451a46d0767d3b.png

15 million good God

TCKaos

I dislike the colored under suits, yet I'm still surprised how widespread the disdain is. :p

Aside from being a poor decision in general, they're also somewhat emblematic of most of the generally disliked design decisions that 343 has made.

They wanted something different and modern, so they redesigned the armor. There was too little armor, and with no codpiece there was nothing protecting the abdomen at all. Instead of making armor that would protect the abdomen, they just colored the undersuits, giving the armor the appearance of being larger but also generally muddying up the aesthetic.

Change for the sake of modernity -> Inherent issue with change -> fixing a symptom of the issue.

We really don't have much of that in Halo 5 thankfully (save for some gripes about the DLC/REQ system and other post-launch management stuff), but think back to Halo 4 when that aesthetic was first introduced. Sprint not being properly balanced and leading to larger maps, Promethean vision being broken and leading to corner camping, loadouts being introduced, SpOps replacing Firefight, ect.

So it gives people something easy to point out to say "This is still here, and it reminds us of shit that we really, really hated."

Just look at Palmer's feet:
What the hell is that? Fix the armor, stop caring about colored undersuits imo. Just another one of those things that Halo fans don't know exactly what they should be focusing their attention on, and how they should articulate that distaste.

People complain about poor playlist management and how we still have a subpar BTB experience, no 4v4 social playlist, etc., but the true enemy of Halo is matchmaking and its inherent limitations. This is why we need a server browser and/or matchmaking toggles, yet we don't see Halo fans at large clamoring for that.

Palmer may have the black undersuit, but her armor looks really bad in game, it seems like the textures are lower quality than what Osiris and Blue Team have. The Scout helmet is also bad in Halo 5, so there's that. Looks like Spy vs. Spy.

Palmer may have the black undersuit, but her armor looks really bad in game, it seems like the textures are lower quality than what Osiris and Blue Team have. The Scout helmet is also bad in Halo 5, so there's that. Looks like Spy vs. Spy.

I have to imagine they didn't spend a lot of time pouring assets into Palmer's in-game model considering she's there for all of one (two?) missions and doesn't even move from her position outside of a handful of animations.

My first placement match and I had a griefer. He went -1 and 14 and somehow managed not to get kicked.

I fucking hate placement matches it's one of the most frustrating thing about this game.

So I still have high latency on those two playlists. Overall the game is feeling really crappy and no friends want to play down here in Aus, all waiting on FF or regional DC toggles.

First two searches last night and this for Arena and then Slayer playlists:

IQj8VzQ.gif

Third time was the charm to find a match and have it load, hey have a quitter in the first 2 kills of game for your fan loyalty:

FTUGJEA.jpg

This game is like a noob picking up the CE pistol for the first time. The potential for 3HK is there and a great experience but in reality it's miss, miss, hit, hit, miss, die from team shooting.

So I played campaign on easy to just have a decent connection to this game I love. Actually the campaign is so fucking good I'm almost happy I was forced to play it instead of matchmaking.

Also my xbox update last night isn't part of the preview program and it was a dashboard update not a H5 update.

Um Wtf?

I haven't been on in two weeks and when I went to my unopened packs, there was nothing from my arena Req bundle that a bought not too too long ago. I should have 4 packs there but I don't...

Is there any way for me to check when I got my first packs? I swear I still have some weeks left but I have nothing in my unopened packs

Trup1aya

Just look at Palmer's feet:

What the hell is that? Fix the armor, stop caring about colored undersuits imo. Just another one of those things that Halo fans don't know exactly what they should be focusing their attention on, and how they should articulate that distaste.

People complain about poor playlist management and how we still have a subpar BTB experience, no 4v4 social playlist, etc., but the true enemy of Halo is matchmaking and its inherent limitations. This is why we need a server browser and/or matchmaking toggles, yet we don't see Halo fans at large clamoring for that.

Matchmaking itself isn't the problem. Halo pioneered the matchmaking system, and it's one of the pillars of the Halo online experience. People appreciate the skill gap, and matchmaking is the only way for people to gauge their improvement.

That said, there needs to ALSO needs to be a way to customize the non-ranked experience. The lack of a customs browser after all these years is baffling. I'd like a halo where users could set up servers with playlists that automatically rotate maps/gametypes as set by the host.

Want to play infection all night? setup a lobby add your favorite maps to the playlist, wait for like minded players to join via the browser, Start the game and games will keep running until the last person quits. Players can drop in and out as they please w/o penalty.

There's no reason something like this couldn't coexist with matchmaking. Why should we have to meet people outside of the game to have customs?

Matchmaking itself isn't the problem. Halo pioneered the matchmaking system, and it's one of the pillars of the Halo online experience. People appreciate the skill gap, and matchmaking is the only way for people to gauge their improvement.

That said, there needs to ALSO needs to be a way to customize the non-ranked experience. The lack of a customs browser after all these years is baffling. I'd like a halo where users could set up servers with playlists that automatically rotate maps/gametypes as set by the host.

Want to play infection all night? setup a lobby add your favorite maps to the playlist, wait for like minded players to join via the browser, Start the game and games will keep running until the last person quits. Players can drop in and out as they please w/o penalty.

There's no reason something like this couldn't coexist with matchmaking. Why should we have to meet people outside of the game to have customs?
Yeah, having both would be ideal. A few ranked playlists for matchmaking, then a server browser for your social needs.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Watched a bit of CLG and EG to see EG with back to back wins. CLGs communication is much more calm that's for sure.

TCKaos

So I've started my SPARTAN fueled rebellion. I might do some after-action reports or something if you guys want.

If you want in on the warband, just tell me what Reach armor you want to use and tell me your first name (or your username if you prefer) so I can do SPARTAN ________ for your character's name.

Jun and Jorge are fucking machines and I love them. Holy shit.

1st placement game, match #1, 12, 17 champs in slayer. One of my teamates goes -10, we lose 50-40 -_________-

This game is so so bad solo.

So I still have high latency on those two playlists. Overall the game is feeling really crappy and no friends want to play down here in Aus, all waiting on FF or regional DC toggles.

First two searches last night and this for Arena and then Slayer playlists:

IQj8VzQ.gif

Third time was the charm to find a match and have it load, hey have a quitter in the first 2 kills of game for your fan loyalty:

FTUGJEA.jpg

This game is like a noob picking up the CE pistol for the first time. The potential for 3HK is there and a great experience but in reality it's miss, miss, hit, hit, miss, die from team shooting.

So I played campaign on easy to just have a decent connection to this game I love. Actually the campaign is so fucking good I'm almost happy I was forced to play it instead of matchmaking.

Also my xbox update last night isn't part of the preview program and it was a dashboard update not a H5 update.

1st placement game, match #1, 12, 17 champs in slayer. One of my teamates goes -10, we lose 50-40 -_________-

This game is so so bad solo.

I have to agree with both of these posts. The only why I kept playing is because of the gameplay, it’s great for the most part, however when it comes to matchmaking and everything else it leaves a lot to be desired. This becomes real evident at rank reset, which brings me to my first topic the ranking system. Halo 5 ranking system is bad. First off, people are getting placed into games they don’t belong in, Diamonds playing against Champions and etc. Furthermore, the reset every month is horrible and I doubt they’ll ever change it. Why even have visible ranks if you’re just going to reset it every 30 or so days and leave no trace of your past seasons (Sure, you can go look at Waypoint, but I’m talking about in game). Plus at the end of the month all you can is a shitty emblem that looks just like all the other shitty emblems you get each month. You think a little bit more creative design could go into these. Or you know have a reward system that actually has some incentive, but no everyone is a fucking winner in Halo 5!

Next is the matchmaking and it’s the thing that pisses me off more than anything, I don’t even know where to start. I’ll start by saying I pretty much only been playing solo, so a majority of my experience will stem from there. Constantly getting matched against parties is frustrating, however just because they are a part doesn’t mean it’s an insta win for them. However, they are more likely to win due to communication, don’t have to worry about teammates quitting, and also they are familiar with each other’s play styles. You think the system could do a better job at matching parties against each other, but it doesn’t. Next comes the 50% w/l. At first I thought maybe I was just being paranoid and it’s more of a placebo effect, but no it’s very real in my experience. You probably wouldn’t see it that much if you play with a party, but playing solo I see it. The system tries to force you to a 50% w/l ratio. Oh and then you have the quitters, but I can’t really fault 343i too much on this one. That’s just what the community has evolved into over the years. People hate losing and doing bad, so they just quit. Other console games don’t punish you for quitting, so the mindset carries over to Halo. I mean 343i does have punishment in place so you can’t really do much more. They could add an incentive for not quitting and see how that plays out.

Anyways, I’m done with my rant for now. There is a lot of other stuff I could talk about, but I don’t feel like writing an essay about the problems in this game. Also, I’m sure everyone here is aware of them. I love the game and I love the game play, but the underlining systems frustrates me to no end.

Just a heads up guys right now both Halo 5 and Halo MCC are on sale on the Xbox digital store for Gold members:

- Halo: The Master Chief Collection + Halo 5: Guardians Bundle - $55.00 - 50% off
- Halo: The Master Chief Collection Digital - $25.00 - 50% off
- Halo 5: Guardians - $38.99 - 35% off
- Halo 5: Guardians - Digital Deluxe Edition - $53.99 - 40% off

6mjrpdc.jpg

f6oltbK.jpg

The sale will end on May 10

Trup1aya

What was the final score?

According to Halodatahive it was 9-4 CLG...
Looking more closely, whenever EG won, it was a close game, but many of CLGs wins were dominant.

EG needs to play perfectly in order to beat CLG... CLG doesn't make many mistakes. EG seems to make plenty of them.

:(

So I've started my SPARTAN fueled rebellion. I might do some after-action reports or something if you guys want.

If you want in on the warband, just tell me what Reach armor you want to use and tell me your first name (or your username if you prefer) so I can do SPARTAN ________ for your character's name.

Spartan Wahrer in Reach Operator helmet pls

Akai__

According to Halodatahive it was 9-4 CLG...
Looking more closely, whenever EG won, it was a close game, but many of CLGs wins were dominant.

EG needs to play perfectly in order to beat CLG... CLG doesn't make many mistakes. EG seems to make plenty of them.

:(

Damn, CLG is still a beast. But not surprising to me, since they have a really good team composition. Their communication is also pretty calm most of the time and they never rant on teammates, but they give good critisicm, which the players also take serious. Something that other teams are not able to do.

Other teams will have to wake up, prior to the Pro League starting. Will be interesting to see how long CLG will be on the top and what others teams will do.

Spartan Akai reporting for duty. Rocking that Emile Armor, of course.

Just a heads up guys right now both Halo 5 and Halo MCC are on sale on the Xbox digital store for Gold members:

- Halo: The Master Chief Collection + Halo 5: Guardians Bundle - $55.00 - 50% off
- Halo: The Master Chief Collection Digital - $25.00 - 50% off
- Halo 5: Guardians - $38.99 - 35% off
- Halo 5: Guardians - Digital Deluxe Edition - $53.99 - 40% off

6mjrpdc.jpg

f6oltbK.jpg

The sale will end on May 10

Going to buy this! Oh I have those already :p

jem0208

Damn, CLG is still a beast. But not surprising to me, since they have a really good team composition. Their communication is also pretty calm most of the time and they never rant on teammates, but they give good critisicm, which the players also take serious. Something that other teams are not able to do.

Other teams will have to wake up, prior to the Pro League starting. Will be interesting to see how long CLG will be on the top and what others teams will do.

I think this first season is basically going to be a fight for second (barring some crazy, crazy rostermania). EG is arguably the 2nd best team at the moment probably followed, in no particular order, by RNG, Optic (at least with their recent performance) and Liquid and all of them get man-handled by CLG.

I'm not sure there is even a hypothetical roster which could beat the current CLG, Royal 2 and Snakebite are the best two players in the game, Lethul is a fantastic all rounder and Frosty is just nasty. Combine that with the fact that their communication/team work is absolutely on point and they never tilt and I genuinely don't think there's a better roster out there at the moment.

Trup1aya

Spartan Akai reporting for duty. Rocking that Emile Armor, of course.

I think there are a couple of teams that have the talent to beat CLG. I truly believe Optic COULD beat them with a bit more practice running scenarios. and EG could be beat them if they could keep their composure. It seems like playing CLG brings out the worst in them and they start bickering and over-thinking before matches.

Ofcourse it would be an upset if either of these teams ever beat CLG, but it's possible... I did catch a bit of the EG scrims, and a number of games ended early due to royal2 disconnects, and they always seemed happen while EG was gaining momentum.

Top Bottom