• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Most encounters for me is I shoot a player and then they thrust almost immediately.
You mostly play Warzone?
Lately warzone is where I spend most of my time. I do like to place in team arena and slayer each month and play games there when I get RP boosts or just to take a break from warzone. I've been trying to grind out reqs although last week i needed like a 5 day break lol.

And its Zeus.
image.php

You're a feisty little firecracker, aren't ya? Make sure to PM Tashi with your concerns.

Because I LOVE HALO. And I want to spread awareness about the problem, so it can be fixed.

We love halo too. But you see, you have to just accept some things and move forward. 343i already replied to the aiming issues. instead of patching the default, they provided a generous update to fine tweak the aiming to our preference. Second one incoming within a week most likely.

In there eyes there isn't anything broken.

A truth accepted. If they end up updating the underlining code for the aiming I'll be one surprised G0SU. Lol

I don't think they'll do shit about that part though. Let's be real.

Yeah, well I'm saying we shouldn't marginalize the issue based on the opinion of pro players since they are uniquely equipt to manage/benefit from 343i's control choices. Pro's make up a tiny percentage of the playerbase.

ah, understood.

just to be clear on my end, i was meaning to lump all "people who are really good / serious at Halo" into one category [pro, or otherwise].

i just felt if it was truly an issue we'd hear about it from streamers, pros, you know.. IN HERE, etc.

realize now i totally didn't grasp what you were saying though, thanks for clearing that up.

That said, the current controller options have allowed me to tune the controls perfectly to my liking. So I'm not sure why Zues is still having trouble.

yeah pretty much this for me as well.

controls feel relatively perfect for me after settings adjustments - and i even play 95% of the time streaming to my W10 PC in my studio, so...

1. If Halo 5 is only first person shooter you guys have been playing for a substantial amount of time, you may not notice the issue. Go play a few games of Any Halo excluding 3 on MCC, than go back to Halo 5 and you will notice the problem.

hrmm, well fair enough - i actually don't play any other console shooters than Halo, and i deleted that POS MCC ages ago, maybe i'll re-download some time and see if i pick up on this when switching between H2A & H5 or something.

This is an horrible attitude.
If every person and pro that played Halo just accepted what 343 has developed we'd still be running around calling in ordnance drops in slayer and Breakout would still be in the Pro League.

I'm speaking about Halo 5. Not the past of halo 4.... player drop off was clearee than forum posts. Anyway, back to Halo 5 aiming issue:

We wanted change for the settings..
-We got an update for accel and deadlines
We wanted more...
-We get an update for horizontal and vertical

What else? Tell them fuck that and redo it from scratch ? Do you even know what exactly goes into how aiming works with different weapons? Or whatever underlining aspects they would have to rewrite for some vocal minority who haven't played in 4 months but might if they change it?? I sure don't but I know damn well not to think it'll be an easy fix. Or even worth it tbh.

My attitude is passive because I enjoy the fucking game and pwn plebs with my Uber noob skills.

Oh and for whatever reason I main team slayer. Since that kind of matters to you if I play warzone or arena. Lol

Also, if you watched any of the championship series you can clearly see them performing magnificently. Oh wait.. the aiming is fucked up and it's all a lie cause of extra hardware they have!!they clearly are only pro cause of the non Xbox controllers they use... Lol

Plenty of onyx and champions here still use the official Xbox one controller.

Trup1aya

I'm not the only person having trouble!! See the Halo Waypoint thread I posted, and there are complaints on other forums as well.

And its Zeus.

The video you posted showed the solution. Really, all you have to do is set the outer deadzone to you're liking and set the acceleration to your liking.

With the deadzone at 0% you have a perfectly linear movement until the moment you hit the outside edge... With linear movement you have no reason to ever peg your joystick unless you are trying to turn around (since you get the same amount of movement when holding your stick at a slight angle as you would for having it at a large angle) Having a high acceleration at peg state is useful for turning around quickly... But for those who don't want that, set it acceleration to one.

Honestly with deadzone set to 0% and acceleration set to 5, it feels better than any halo before it. 99% of sticks movement area feels exactly like any other halo game. And using the outer edge allows me to engage enemies who have position on me.

If you really want to get down to the science of all of this; completely eliminating aim acceleration would render most of your joystick's range useless. If a target was 70degress to your left, moving your stick left by 2% wouldn't get you on target any faster than moving Left by 100%. Your only recourse would be to increase you sensitivity... Which inhibits ones ability to make fine adjustments for targets who are already in view... This was fine in previous halo's because strong aim assist and limited movement options allowed you to rely purely on strafe to make fine adjustments. This is no longer the case. It's much more preferable to allow the user to make both coarse and fine adjustments, by allowing more control over the speed of the reticle... They just made the 'fine adjustment range' to small, by default due to overly large inner and outer deadzones (by default only 78% of the joysticks range is usable... Wtf?)

TrounceX

This games ranking system... I swear the principle design goal was to strive for 50% win/loss ratios, as if that's balanced.

No, what happens is you play a few easy teams, then a few impossibly difficult teams.

God have mercy on your soul of you ever win more than 3 straight at an Onyx because you can bet your ass you're about to play top 50 champions. Like ckockwork. At best I was a 1800 onyx, I'm not trying to play CLG here, nor am I trying to play low diamonds and a plat 6.

Maybe it's just low population? Idk, it's like you're set up to lose sometimes.

This games ranking system... I swear the principle design goal was to strive for 50% win/loss ratios, as if that's balanced.

No, what happens is you play a few easy teams, then a few impossibly difficult teams.

God have mercy on your soul of you ever win more than 3 straight at an Onyx because you can bet your ass you're about to play top 50 champions. Like ckockwork. At best I was a 1800 onyx, I'm not trying to play CLG here, nor am I trying to play low diamonds and a plat 6.

That... is exactly the intention? If you're at the right level, you should be winning around as many games you lose. If you deserve to be at a higher level, you can handle the tougher teams.

I'm speaking about Halo 5. Not the past of halo 4.... player drop off was clearee than forum posts. Anyway, back to Halo 5 aiming issue:

We wanted change for the settings..
-We got an update for accel and deadlines
We wanted more...
-We get an update for horizontal and vertical

What else? Tell them fuck that and redo it from scratch ? Do you even know what exactly goes into how aiming works with different weapons? Or whatever underlining aspects they would have to rewrite for some vocal minority who haven't played in 4 months but might if they change it?? I sure don't but I know damn well not to think it'll be an easy fix. Or even worth it tbh.

My attitude is passive because I enjoy the fucking game and pwn plebs with my Uber noob skills.

Oh and for whatever reason I main team slayer. Since that kind of matters to you if I play warzone or arena. Lol

Also, if you watched any of the championship series you can clearly see them performing magnificently. Oh wait.. the aiming is fucked up and it's all a lie cause of extra hardware they have!!they clearly are only pro cause of the non Xbox controllers they use... Lol

Plenty of onyx and champions here still use the official Xbox one controller.

I've said it before. They can implement the aiming they had in the Beta as a separate option. No need for them to redo from scratch.
And I was Onyx in several playlists if I recall, could've been champion but didn't want to put the time in for a Symbol thats gone after a season.

Yeah I'm at a 53 percent win and barely at diamond 1. Gotta replace this season at plat.

U too pro.

The video you posted showed the solution. Really, all you have to do is set the outer deadzone to you're liking and set the acceleration to your liking.

lol, exactly what i said.

was a pretty funny post considering he provided both problem & solution IN THE SAME POST.

#crowdgoeswild

Trup1aya

It's impossible for the system to guaruntee you a nail-biter every match. You got population, latency, skill, groups, and off games to consider. If you win 3 straight, it's only logical that the system allows you tell test your skills against better opponents... How else would it know if it's time for you to move up.

What kind of winning streaks to would you need to be convinced that the system is working properly?

It's impossible for the system to guaruntee you a nail-biter every match. You got population, latency, skill, groups, and off games to consider. If you win 3 straight, it's only logical that the system allows you tell test your skills against better opponents... How else would it know if it's time for you to move up.

What kind of winning streaks to would you need to be convinced that the system is working properly?
One thing that I would say is that testing your skills against higher level players while you're still stuck with lesser tiered teammates does not equate to legitimate test. Bugs me when people act like you should just be able to carry bad teammates while also playing against higher level players.

Trup1aya

One thing that I would say is that testing your skills against higher level players while you're still stuck with lesser tiered teammates does not equate to legitimate test. Bugs me when people act like you should just be able to carry bad teammates while also playing against higher level players.

You shouldn't. But

1) the system can only work with the players that are in it

2) you play hundreds or even thousands of games... Overtime, it evens out

For every game you have to carry for a win, there will a game you'll get carried to a win.

there will also be games where you teammates play worse than they typically do. And games where you play much better than you typically do. Then there will be games that play opposite to those two scenarios.

In the midst of all that there will be plenty of games where everyone plays exactly like the system predicted they would.

So no, not every game will be a "legitimate test" individually. But the system isn't reliant on individual games themselves as tests. The "test" consists of a range of games. It's based on hundreds of thousands of tests daily. And the large margin of error per individual game is mitigated by the massive sample size.

TrounceX

That... is exactly the intention? If you're at the right level, you should be winning around as many games you lose. If you deserve to be at a higher level, you can handle the tougher teams.

What I'm trying to say (probably poorly) is that most games feel like you are either set up to win, or set up to lose. The bias seems towards keeping w/l parity rather than matching skill ranks.

Win a couple - play champions
Lose a couple - play low diamonds

Its honestly very predictable.

Also I'm salty cuz I hate getting swatted down by pro players every time I get rolling. Skill gap is so real in this game. Ive never been annihilated so hard and so often in a halo game before.

What I'm trying to say (probably poorly) is that most games feel like you are either set up to win, or set up to lose. The bias seems towards keeping w/l parity rather than matching skill ranks.

Win a couple - play champions
Lose a couple - play low diamonds

Its honestly very predictable.

Also I'm salty cuz I hate getting swatted down by pro players every time I get rolling. Skill gap is so real in this game. Ive never been annihilated so hard and so often in a halo game before.

It may not be because of the skill gap, its usually because higher up champions run with teams, which can easily crush players who don't communicate.

With the deadzone at 0% you have a perfectly linear movement until the moment you hit the outside edge... With linear movement you have no reason to ever peg your joystick unless you are trying to turn around (since you get the same amount of movement when holding your stick at a slight angle as you would for having it at a large angle) Having a high acceleration at peg state is useful for turning around quickly... But for those who don't want that, set it acceleration to one.

Honestly with deadzone set to 0% and acceleration set to 5, it feels better than any halo before it. 99% of sticks movement area feels exactly like any other halo game. And using the outer edge allows me to engage enemies who have position on me.

If you really want to get down to the science of all of this; completely eliminating aim acceleration would render most of your joystick's range useless. If a target was 70degress to your left, moving your stick left by 2% wouldn't get you on target any faster than moving Left by 100%. Your only recourse would be to increase you sensitivity... Which inhibits ones ability to make fine adjustments for targets who are already in view... This was fine in previous halo's because strong aim assist and limited movement options allowed you to rely purely on strafe to make fine adjustments. This is no longer the case. It's much more preferable to allow the user to make both coarse and fine adjustments, by allowing more control over the speed of the reticle... They just made the 'fine adjustment range' to small, by default due to overly large inner and outer deadzones (by default only 78% of the joysticks range is usable... Wtf?)

Trust me, I have tried every single possible combination. Nothing felt smooth as the beta too me.
I can even go back and watch gameplay of me playing the beta and see how the aiming is different.
Watching mine I can see sluggish aiming when battling someone at a close distance.

TrounceX

It may not be because of the skill gap, its usually because higher up champions run with teams, which can easily crush players who don't communicate.

I wish that were the only reason haha. But nah, people pull the craziest plays on me now. Better shot, better intuition, better teamwork... Either I've totally lost it, or H5's ceiling is a lot higher.

I won't rule out the possibility that I've totally lost it though.

Trup1aya

Trust me, I have tried every single possible combination. Nothing felt smooth as the beta too me.
I can even go back and watch gameplay of me playing the beta and see how the aiming is different.
Watching mine I can see sluggish aiming when battling someone at a close distance.

I really doubt you tried "every possible combination". I agree, The beta would have been fine as the default setting, but you can achieve those settings, and even improve upon them with the current options.

Both deadzones at 0% and your reticule should move almost exactly like previous Halo's. Then reduce your accel to 2 and it should be exactly like the beta.

The next update should allow you to even more closely mimic previous halos.

Anyway at close distance, you should be mainly Aiming with your strafe and at most making VERY fine aim adjustments. aim acceleration shouldn't come into play at all in these scenarios (so long as your deadzones are at zero. You shouldn't have to peg your sticks to aim at someone who's close to you)

I wish that were the only reason haha. But nah, people pull the craziest plays on me now. Better shot, better intuition, better teamwork... Either I've totally lost it, or H5's ceiling is a lot higher.

How long have you been playing? When I was first learning Halo what helped me was watching pros play, helped to see their movement, strafes and thought process.

It def has the highest skill gap since H2 (BXR, RRX etc.) The amount of times I've gotten completely embarrassed has exploded lol

man halogaf is quiet this morning. i watched your fiesta game where you went 20-2 lol. that's hard to do in fiesta. LET'S GO!

Thanks brosef, I'm starting to embrace fiestas batshit craziness. One game 20-2, next get rocketet off spawn 8 times ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

One thing I'll add is I can literally feel the difference in movement, shooting, grenades, damage feedback and more with my latency. Given all the chatter about aiming I feel many weapons have dynamic aim assist, bullet magnetism, hit registration, movement prediction and server/player timestamp differences that also skew your perception in game of how you aim, shoot and kill.

It's a seriously complex onion skin problem and it appears to me aiming and shots registered is far more than what you see with your reticule or local game version.

Strider

Overwatch is goooooooooood.

On topic the skill gap in Halo 5 is indeed huge tho... Gap is bigger than any other console game I've put a significant chunk of time in.

One thing I'll add is I can literally feel the difference in movement, shooting, grenades, damage feedback and more with my latency.

Same. I think this is the biggest problem with the "aiming" issues people have over anything else... Your aim is just not consistent game to game since you can go from a good connection to a poor and vice versa. Consistency with aiming is very important.

How long have you been playing? When I was first learning Halo what helped me was watching pros play, helped to see their movement, strafes and thought process.

junior, you gotta stop inferring that none of us have been playing halo as long as you.

this is halo gaf son, we all old & pathetic.

One thing I'll add is I can literally feel the difference in movement, shooting, grenades, damage feedback and more with my latency. Given all the chatter about aiming I feel many weapons have dynamic aim assist, bullet magnetism, hit registration, movement prediction and server/player timestamp differences that also skew your perception in game of how you aim, shoot and kill.

It's a seriously complex onion skin problem and it appears to me aiming and shots registered is far more than what you see with your reticule or local game version.

i feel this.

playing in Canada [but not quite butt-fuck Canada], i'm always at a slight latency disadvantage.

and when i'm not?

oh man, you can really tell - it's like all of a sudden my reticule just tracks peoples' heads all on its own.

i mean, obviously not quite that pronounced [not even close], but it's an easily perceivable difference when my auto-aim "just works", versus when it "just doesn't".

junior, you gotta stop inferring that none of us have been playing halo as long as you.

i feel this.

playing in Canada [but not quite butt-fuck Canada], i'm always at a slight latency disadvantage.

and when i'm not?

oh man, you can really tell - it's like all of a sudden my reticule just tracks peoples' heads all on its own.

i mean, obviously not quite that pronounced [not even close], but it's an easily perceivable difference when my auto-aim "just works", versus when it "just doesn't".
Your jumping to conclusions too fast man. I asked him how long he has been playing because he said "Either I've totally lost it, or H5's ceiling is a lot higher."
He can't be losing "it" if he recently just started playing Halo, I was asking out of curiosity
And I started playing Halo with Reach if needed to be known.

TrounceX

I've played more Halo than I'd ever like to admit.

But I used to be decent, went to MLG events and such. I hold onto this standing's list for dear life as it's my only relevance to the Halo scene in it's history.

#21 baby

Look who's right below me lol.

I’m beginning to wonder how many people are actually quitting rather than the game not even starting or crashing.
This game didn’t even start it went black screen during the loading screen, yet somehow it started and I was given the loss for it.

Guyzzz I know the solutions to all of your problemzzzzz..uh..zzz.

Take my class and learn the sangheli way of the warrior. Become enlightened with the way of the G0SU.

For only 14.99+tax an hour you will be out playing your foes in no time!

Act now and as a bonus; learn the ultimate trick to make FATstronaut wish he never played halo in his life!

Just say the following words:

ALL GLORY TO G0SU

Edited the true name of the loser. Braxzy no longer is a foe. Gg

Ramirez

I mean if you're 1800 Onyx, and not expecting to play pros, what are you expecting exactly? The Champion mark is usually 22-2300, there's not exactly a huge pool to choose from once you get into the 18-1900s, lol.

i feel this.

and when i'm not?

I'm feeling this big time at the moment. I can go -15 in a game and the next game instantly feel a better connection and go +15. It's not better or worse players matched, it's my latency to the dedis selected. There's no honour in those losses or victories, it feels cheap.

I wonder how much of the reported issues right now are 343 tweaking and things for the next update. I'm sure they have a closed system to test but at some point they have to push things to the live XBL/H5 service to test them out or prepare for full live release. My total guess here is the updates around regional toggles or whatever is coming is playing havoc with H5 dedis at the moment.

Don't quote me on it but that's what it feels like.

Here's linked images from just last night, again just wanting to play H5. Jumped on MCC with a buddy and we both quit the first game for the night, just not worth playing.

Stayed in an average connection game, two quitters because we were down the whole game. Seriously stop fucking quitting, even if you're losing.
http://screenshotscontent-t3002.xbo..._=1462329553_43093c9f48021744aa7d92993f65f81c

Player emblems and REQs wouldn't load.
http://screenshotscontent-t5001.xbo..._=1462329554_1a7a6a1db48fc2741e7d29f70e28b830

FFA Playlist still says high latency.
http://screenshotscontent-t2001.xbo..._=1462329555_9195da9efd6abc0a5e1ac6e990dfd8f6

Profile sync error on game loading. No other game does this. No troubles with my connection on multiple other devices.
http://screenshotscontent-t5001.xbo..._=1462329556_a0cb9aa9b1123f75faca6504bbb06d27

Online services wouldn't load on game boot.
http://screenshotscontent-t3002.xbo..._=1462329557_2a0466eb951139b73dc96cc622b573c6

Jump on MCC in the hope we can get half decent matches. My buddy and I partied up before searching, found one other random Aussie, great matching 343. Get put on USA dedis or P2P host, get trashed, random Aussie quits, so my buddy quits...I finish another losing game.
http://screenshotscontent-t2001.xbo..._=1462329879_d88279c3ae6354903ffc65664fb39f84

I'll switch from my cable connection tonight to an ADSL2+ ISP and test again tonight. It's frustrating as fuck, I pretty much just play Halo these days. I'm educated on the tech, I play solo and many types of parties (including full ones), I understand not every game is for Aussies, I know how to configure networking, I get my ISP will be the issue sometimes but you know what....it's none of those issues. I've done the process of elimination a number of times in the last week. It's dead Jim.

Play first game of day. Figure "I'll go into Fiesta and have a chill game to warm up". -> Match against Mikwen. I only went -1 but teammates goin' double digit neg bombs so w/e.

Figure "fuck it, I'll just go into FFA since I'm playin' pros anyway in Fiesta". First game (my second placement match of the season) play against some onyxes and 2 champions (including Prototype, another pro, who ended up winning a close match). Still got third.

Feeling notbad.gif.

BizzyBum

Play first game of day. Figure "I'll go into Fiesta and have a chill game to warm up". -> Match against Mikwen. I only went -1 but teammates goin' double digit neg bombs so w/e.

Figure "fuck it, I'll just go into FFA since I'm playin' pros anyway in Fiesta". First game (my second placement match of the season) play against some onyxes and 2 champions (including Prototype, another pro, who ended up winning a close match). Still got third.

Feeling notbad.gif.

I'm starting to hate SF.

I feel like I spawn with shit like BR's, magnums, ARs, supressors all the time and the enemy kills me with Nornfang's, Answer's, or some legendary rocket launcher.

When you get shit RNG it's an infuriating mode. lol

Top Bottom