• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Fuchsdh

I don't think k I've had a single perfection this game. Not that I ever had that many in past games but, it definitely feels harder to stay alive in this one.

It definitely is, and I think the map layout also feeds into that.

But then again I only have gotten one perfection in Reach BTB ever. So I'm not a great standard. Probably only two or three times I've come close in H5 Arena.

Karl2177

One day I'll get an Unfrigginbelievable and my journey will be over. Probably not though. The only time I got one was in Reach and all I did was stay in the Scorpion on Hemorrhage. lol

I can't even get a Perfection in H5 and my highest have only been Killtrocitys and Running Riots. :(
I watched my roommate get an Unfrigginbelievable and a Perfection. Both games were up against people that still looked like they were learning how to use both sticks. The only thing I had to say was that had it been me in that match, I would have been on the other team.

Yes, Patrick is still in the game.
I am? News to me. ;P

Gotta work on those beam rifle skills. I get hat tricks all the time.

Thanks for confirming.

Okay i looked it up on waypoint - I guess i have gotten it a few times lol.

I was thinking the requirements to get it would have been the same as it were in the beta and not having to get 3 headshot kills with the sniper in a row.

I'm guessing it was just three headshot kills in a row during the beta.

HaloGAFCOM After Action Report #0: "Full Party Wipe, New Game?"

I don't know how to delete anything in an album, so I titled anything I wanted to remove but couldn't "Misc."

Here are some shots and descriptions:

As I continue to struggle through XCOM 2 I'm open to suggestions for mods and such and, if you'd like to volunteer for service, I'd be appreciative. Some of you have been drafted (such as ExWife and Eugn) and I've taken the liberty of snooping through your Reach shit so that I could copy your likeness as much as possible. I have almost no Halo 4 armor, and in this particular instance only opted to use it because I couldn't find Akai's Reach service record.

The mod affords me pretty much as much customization as there was in Reach with a few quirks here and there and the lack of visor colors.

Volunteering for duty!

Love XCOM AARs

HaloGAFCOM After Action Report #0: "Full Party Wipe, New Game?"

I don't know how to delete anything in an album, so I titled anything I wanted to remove but couldn't "Misc."

Here are some shots and descriptions:

As I continue to struggle through XCOM 2 I'm open to suggestions for mods and such and, if you'd like to volunteer for service, I'd be appreciative. Some of you have been drafted (such as ExWife and Eugn) and I've taken the liberty of snooping through your Reach shit so that I could copy your likeness as much as possible. I have almost no Halo 4 armor, and in this particular instance only opted to use it because I couldn't find Akai's Reach service record.

The mod affords me pretty much as much customization as there was in Reach with a few quirks here and there and the lack of visor colors.

Should we record voice clips?

"Hey buddy!"
"Fuckin' Randies!"
"Do the math!"

I dunno, what else do we say?

Yeah so.... basing off history.

Friday - Weekly Blog Update from Bravo - Req reveal.
Tuesday - Live Stream to show off Infection and other content
Wednesday - Content update goes live.

Emille's helmet
will never be mine cause the grind in the gold Req pool is defeating....

-Ryn

Banned
I wonder if we'll ever see custom games on the level of Halo 3 again. Or even Reach.

Good times they were.

Had some great games the other day in Team Arena. Feels incredible when you manage to survive an assault from 3 people and come back. If only I could actually pull that off more often...

-Ryn

Banned
Can't connect to Halo 5 lobby service :(

Servers are great though right Phil?!?

Never gonna let that quote go lol
Love the servers

But damn do I hope they don't make everything connected to them. Allow me to forge and use theater without an internet connection please.

Strider

Rank "resets" basically mean whatever you were the month before we're gonna knock you down a tier and have you grind it back up again lol

Regardless of how my placement matches go my rank to begin the season is basically always the same.

Overwatch is so damn good holy shit.

Is the junior from a few pages back here to stay? Cause ain't nobody got time for that.

I miss Halo. Wish servers weren't shit and content wasn't so sparce.

I love you all. Miss Firefight with all you bros.

Fuchsdh

I'm basically not going to bother with Overwatch, they put me off by not offering it for Mac and I've got enough entertaining multiplayer games in Halo and Dota to keep me satisfied.

Not going to be able to play much Halo though in the next month, though. I am sad :(

BraXzy

Strider

Overwatch is dope as fuck... Nothing like Halo though so both have their place for me. As far as MP goes I will be good with just these 2 games for a looooong time.

prolly will still buy other games like a scrub tho and just come back to these 2 :/

I'm basically not going to bother with Overwatch, they put me off by not offering it for Mac and I've got enough entertaining multiplayer games in Halo and Dota to keep me satisfied.

Not going to be able to play much Halo though in the next month, though. I am sad :(

But you can get it for PS4 and Xbone too!

One thing I don't quite understand with the changes made to the aiming is that 343 said it was due to more verticality in Halo 5, but then why would they make the axes different? Would that not be more problematic than having them equal if there's now more verticality?

The previous Halo games had equal values for both the X and Y axes, yet now we have a higher value for the Y axis compared to the X axis - by half, to be exact (ie: 3 for Y, 1.5 for X IIRC). So it doesn't make sense to me why making any of those slower while keeping the other the same would improve the aiming. If there was going to be more verticality in Halo 5, which there is, wouldn't it make more sense to keep those values the same since you'll be looking in all directions more as opposed to the previous games that had less verticality?

I don't know if I'm explaining myself well, but it just seems like the opposite of what they actually did was the better option after all, which was not adjusting the values to be different in the first place lol.

BraXzy

One thing I don't quite understand with the changes made to the aiming is that 343 said it was due to more verticality in Halo 5, but then why would they make the axes different? Would that not be more problematic than having them equal if there's now more verticality?

I think the idea of it is, rather than your typical left to right sweep, there's now a big possibility your target is also at a different elevation. So the difference is to allow for you to quickly adjust your vertical position on the fly while maintaining your horizontal accuracy.

Think about it like this, someone moving left to right is a lot slower then someone who jumps up from high and ground pounds next to you. That'll be the logic anyhow I assume?

tootsi666

The previous Halo games had equal values for both the X and Y axes, yet now we have a higher value for the Y axis compared to the X axis - by half, to be exact (ie: 3 for Y, 1.5 for X IIRC). So it doesn't make sense to me why making any of those slower while keeping the other the same would improve the aiming. If there was going to be more verticality in Halo 5, which there is, wouldn't it make more sense to keep those values the same since you'll be looking in all directions more as opposed to the previous games that had less verticality?

I don't know if I'm explaining myself well, but it just seems like the opposite of what they actually did was the better option after all, which was not adjusting the values to be different in the first place lol.
It makes sense and it works really well when you are used to it but it's really hard for me to just play few games a week due to how different it is. Halo 5 is the only shooter I play on console but years of muscle memory don't disappear instantly.

I think the idea of it is, rather than your typical left to right sweep, there's now a big possibility your target is also at a different elevation. So the difference is to allow for you to quickly adjust your vertical position on the fly while maintaining your horizontal accuracy.

Think about it like this, someone moving left to right is a lot slower then someone who jumps up from high and ground pounds next to you. That'll be the logic anyhow I assume?
Yeah I get that, but taking into account thrusters would mean that making the X axis slower would result in the overcompensation we've seen people complaining about. So while yeah, there is more verticality in Halo 5 compared to previous games, there is also more horizontal movement in play as well. I should have mentioned this in my original post.

Perhaps that's where my confusion is, 343 underestimated the horizontal movement being much different from previous games with thrusters being a default ability. Couple that with differing values for the X and Y axes, and it makes sense why many are having issues with the aiming.
It makes sense and it works really well when you are used to it but it's really hard for me to just play few games a week due to how different it is. Halo 5 is the only shooter I play on console but years of muscle memory don't disappear instantly.
This is a problem with their design in my opinion, how difficult it can be to just pick up and play. Glad they're allowing us to change that though, and I hope with Halo 6 the values are the same by default.

BraXzy

Yeah I get that, but taking into account thrusters would mean that making the X axis slower would result in the overcompensation we've seen people complaining about. So while yeah, there is more verticality in Halo 5 compared to previous games, there is also more horizontal movement in play as well. I should have mentioned this in my original post.

By no means do I think it's perfect, or done right, I was just saying that's probably the logic.

It's certainly a flawed but respectable attempt at solving a gameplay issue brought about by the new abilities and vertical level design.

Strider

Yea brax nailed why they did it.... Its just one of those "better in theory" changes.

Consistency is too important in aiming. It needs to feel the same regardless of the direction you're aiming. I expect when the update goes live I'll bump my horizontal sensitivity to match my vertical but lower my acceleration from 3 to 2 to compensate for that increase in speed

pieface

Have to say I don't notice any aiming issues anymore. Sometimes I still think the turning is too slow (I have sens 3 and accell 2), but that's all.

I've tried increasing the sensitivity but I can't aim with a high sensitivity.

Top Bottom