• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Strider

Have to say I don't notice any aiming issues anymore. Sometimes I still think the turning is too slow (I have sens 3 and accell 2), but that's all.

I've tried increasing the sensitivity but I can't aim with a high sensitivity.

Well when the update hits just increase your horizontal sens to match your vertical sens and that'll probably solve that problem. Either that or try acceleration 3. Seems like your problem now on higher sense would be aiming up and down?

TCKaos

HaloGAFCOM: Dramatis Personae

Enjoy the bullshots. Currently have:

TCKaos
MyExWife
Prinz Eugn
AkaiGAF
Wahrer
Zoso Achilles
Fata1moose
Samurai G0SU
mastrbiggy
Rev3rb
FATstronaut
FUNKNOWN iXi
TJ NutterB
Daedalius
GringoSuave89
Poodlestrike
NOBLEGUNDAM69

and some Halo guys

What your character's face looks like really doesn't matter since you're all wearing helmets. As far as I can tell the in-game nationality is also inconsequential, so please forgive me if they're not accurate.

What is the "REQ PACKS" option in the Friends menu? A way to spectate friends opening Req Packs?
09Towwo.jpg

blamite

What your character's face looks like really doesn't matter since you're all wearing helmets. As far as I can tell the in-game nationality is also inconsequential, so please forgive me if they're not accurate.

Oh man this is the coolest. :eek: Here's my dude if you wanna make one of me.
I think the shoulder you can't really see in that image is Recon? And the left arm has the Buckler.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It will be hard to convince us it was a coincidence if G0SU dies first.

Trup1aya

One thing I don't quite understand with the changes made to the aiming is that 343 said it was due to more verticality in Halo 5, but then why would they make the axes different? Would that not be more problematic than having them equal if there's now more verticality?

The previous Halo games had equal values for both the X and Y axes, yet now we have a higher value for the Y axis compared to the X axis - by half, to be exact (ie: 3 for Y, 1.5 for X IIRC). So it doesn't make sense to me why making any of those slower while keeping the other the same would improve the aiming. If there was going to be more verticality in Halo 5, which there is, wouldn't it make more sense to keep those values the same since you'll be looking in all directions more as opposed to the previous games that had less verticality?

I don't know if I'm explaining myself well, but it just seems like the opposite of what they actually did was the better option after all, which was not adjusting the values to be different in the first place lol.

Maybe they didn't make the X axis slower, but made the Y axis twice as fast, to account for the verticality.

Dice

It doesn't make any sense. More verticality so what... you'd want to be able to look up and down faster to address things that come up? Guess what else you'd want to be able do: Reliably stop where you want to when you do look up or down because the sensitivity is uniform. More verticality also often means things flying over you, which means needing to turn around quickly to keep tracking them. You also need to turn around quickly if you walk out from under something and someone was crouching on the ledge now behind you (though you're probably dead unless their aim sucks). There is no logic in their decision.

Maybe they didn't make the X axis slower, but made the Y axis twice as fast, to account for the verticality.
IIRC they said they lowered it, which is why if you want it to feel like the other Halo games, you'll only have to increase the X axis value.
It doesn't make any sense. More verticality so what... you'd want to be able to look up and down faster to address things that come up? Guess what else you'd want to be able do: Reliably stop where you want to when you do look up or down because the sensitivity is uniform. More verticality also often means things flying over you, which means needing to turn around quickly to keep tracking them. You also need to turn around quickly if you walk out from under something and someone was crouching on the ledge now behind you (though you're probably dead unless their aim sucks). There is no logic in their decision.
Which makes it odd because they lowered the X axis instead of increasing the Y axis. Although they probably tested the increased Y axis and found it to be too fast, so they decided to lower the X axis as a result?

lol I'm so interested in being a fly on the wall for game design discussions. Whoever decided to make the CE Pistol hitscan should be arrested.

Trup1aya

IIRC they said they lowered it, which is why if you want it to feel like the other Halo games, you'll only have to increase the X axis value.

Which makes it odd because they lowered the X axis instead of increasing the Y axis. Although they probably tested the increased Y axis and found it to be too fast, so they oddly decided to lower the X axis value as a result?

lol I'm so interested in being a fly on the wall for game design discussions.

Maybe, but we're talking in relatives here. Perhaps upping the X to match the Y will feel like old halo's because its proportional again, but both settings would then be faster than previous halos.

I can't imagine that 343 designers would straight up whiff on the math of helping people aim up...

Actually, yes I can. Nevermind me..

Dice

Which makes it odd because they lowered the X axis instead of increasing the Y axis. Although they probably tested the increased Y axis and found it to be too fast, so they decided to lower the X axis as a result?

lol I'm so interested in being a fly on the wall for game design discussions. Whoever decided to make the CE Pistol hitscan should be arrested.
Maybe they thought acceleration was some kind of genius move that solved all the problems... or maybe they didn't think it solved the problems and actually intentionally nerfed horizontal aim responsiveness to make thrusting seem more important.

BizzyBum

I think the smoothest aiming I played with was on Titanfall. That shit was buttery smooth. I wish every FPS controlled like that using a controller.

So my son played WZ Turbo despite the high latency warning last night, weird things afoot again. REQs wouldn't charge up through 1-9 at all, wouldn't not fill up the green counters the entire game and could not use REQ cards at all, only existing gun unlocks. The below was taken at 800+ points and in the fortress for that game. There's a video of me grabbing the controller to check things out. High latency or not this is just busted for that game. So many issues in the last week I don't know what to say.

I'm honestly pretty over it at this point. My 2 x ISP connections work fine for everything else e.g. email, web browsing, remote connections, Skype and more. WTF is going on lately? I've asked some mates to jump on and check Halo out if they have the same issues, they're literally not playing Halo ATM due to such poor experiences in the last month, waiting for FF and the regional toggles update (we're talking 18 people here not playing Halo). One who kindly checked had party chat drop outs and a dashboard kick from H5. Good stuff indeed.

The other friends are yet to test, busy playing overwatch or GOW4. I'll even provide gamertags and detailed experiences if you like 343. Tell me who do I contact for actual tech support and details of WTF is going on? You know like a normal paid product or service has consumer support. As if I'm going to bother with XBL support direct and their scripted call centre crap.

http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/005e921d-161b-4344-8b0c-c854190aef10

Screenshot-Original.png

Here's me having another go last night after bed time for my son, all I did was cold boot the X1, load H5 and hit search on Super Fiesta playlist while searching solo. I don't use instant on at all and I'm not in the preview program either. My NAT is open, I've released my MAC address, my router runs 10+ other devices/systems without issue. I've reconfigured DMZ, alternated to port forwarding, updated static IPs and even tested QoS. Our Wii U runs perfectly fine for online games. Destiny has great latency in game. For the below error I wasn't even trying to join a fireteam:

Screenshot-Original.png

Help me just play Halo consistently. Again why the high latency to some playlists and not others? Did someone not load those playlists to the AU regional DCs or something?

And just for reference here's the two ISP connections tested, both rock solid for all other services and used 24/7 from home office stuff and smartphones to tablets and laptops.

5301301077.png

5301308655.png

I'm a sucker for punishment.

I'll post this over at Waypoint too, not that I'm expecting much TBH.

Trup1aya

Maybe they thought acceleration was some kind of genius move that solved all the problems... or maybe they didn't think it solved the problems and actually intentionally nerfed horizontal aim responsiveness to make thrusting seem more important.

Acceleration does solve the "slow turn" problem.... Which is crucial when folks can jump over you. But with massive deadzones it created new problems. Setting deadzones to 0 and upping accel to 5 has been life altering.

I wonder if the intention was to have people trigger acceleration at 90% to compensate for the slower horizontal speed... Pretty sloppy call if that's the case.

I can't help but get giddy at the thought of more options. 3 sense, 5 accel, 0% deadzones, X=Y sounds like a dream come true.

TCKaos

LOL, I have no memory of this.

Second question, do you ever get matches where you are stuck with low resolution weapon textures?

This isn't a pop-in thing, they look like that the whole match.

What video card are you using? If it's been a while you might need to upgrade it.

Also blamite;

I've also gone back and corrected everyone's visor colors.

Madness

I don't think anyone should be booted from the company going forward now. Makes no sense to let people get Achilles armor, play and contribute from launch only to get the boot now.

Lol, just scared I will get the boot because my gaming has dropped to like 1 night a week when I am free and not tired. Been working like 60+ hours a week. Whats the requirements to stay in?

I don't think anyone should be booted from the company going forward now. Makes no sense to let people get Achilles armor, play and contribute from launch only to get the boot now.

Lol, just scared I will get the boot because my gaming has dropped to like 1 night a week when I am free and not tired. Been working like 60+ hours a week. Whats the requirements to stay in?

We are still pretty far from the helm. First Strikes alone is going to take a while. Nobody says you have to play everyday. I think the requirements are extremely lenient. Personally, there are a bunch of people I would have kicked by now.

mo60

So my son played WZ Turbo despite the high latency warning last night, weird things afoot again. REQs wouldn't charge up through 1-9 at all, wouldn't not fill up the green counters the entire game and could not use REQ cards at all, only existing gun unlocks. The below was taken at 800+ points and in the fortress for that game. There's a video of me grabbing the controller to check things out. High latency or not this is just busted for that game. So many issues in the last week I don't know what to say.

I'm honestly pretty over it at this point. My 2 x ISP connections work fine for everything else e.g. email, web browsing, remote connections, Skype and more. WTF is going on lately? I've asked some mates to jump on and check Halo out if they have the same issues, they're literally not playing Halo ATM due to such poor experiences in the last month, waiting for FF and the regional toggles update (we're talking 18 people here not playing Halo). One who kindly checked had party chat drop outs and a dashboard kick from H5. Good stuff indeed.

The other friends are yet to test, busy playing overwatch or GOW4. I'll even provide gamertags and detailed experiences if you like 343. Tell me who do I contact for actual tech support and details of WTF is going on? You know like a normal paid product or service has consumer support. As if I'm going to bother with XBL support direct and their scripted call centre crap.

http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/005e921d-161b-4344-8b0c-c854190aef10

Screenshot-Original.png

Here's me having another go last night after bed time for my son, all I did was cold boot the X1, load H5 and hit search on Super Fiesta playlist while searching solo. I don't use instant on at all and I'm not in the preview program either. My NAT is open, I've released my MAC address, my router runs 10+ other devices/systems without issue. I've reconfigured DMZ, alternated to port forwarding, updated static IPs and even tested QoS. Our Wii U runs perfectly fine for online games. Destiny has great latency in game. For the below error I wasn't even trying to join a fireteam:

Screenshot-Original.png

Help me just play Halo consistently. Again why the high latency to some playlists and not others? Did someone not load those playlists to the AU regional DCs or something?

And just for reference here's the two ISP connections tested, both rock solid for all other services and used 24/7 from home office stuff and smartphones to tablets and laptops.

5301301077.png

5301308655.png

I'm a sucker for punishment.

I'll post this over at Waypoint too, not that I'm expecting much TBH.

The glitch were you can't access reqs that are not permanent or an armor mod only seems to occur when you join a warzone turbo match in progress.

JackHerer

LOL, I have no memory of this.

Second question, do you ever get matches where you are stuck with low resolution weapon textures?

This isn't a pop-in thing, they look like that the whole match.

I've had that happen specifically in super fiesta, although not for the whole match, just a few seconds.

fqW4RMm.jpg

Holy shit. I don't know if you looked GTs up for additional info, but that's exactly what my old armor in Reach used to be.

playermodel.ashx

I used to rock out with the JFO helmet in Reach because they've been killing Mk. V since then, but I'm not picky.

jfo-base.jpg

....unless it comes to Mk. V in future Halo games. Then I'm picky. Very picky. 343 what are you doing? Stahp the cycle of hate.

BraXzy

Interesting tidbit RE: horizontal and vertical aiming... The two are separate options on the console version of Overwatch, and the vertical sensitivity is half that of horizontal.

JackHerer

Anyone else feel like the abundance of rocket launchers kills some of the fun in super fiesta? They should just remove the vanilla ones from rotation and keep the rarer REQ RLs.

TCKaos

Holy shit. I don't know if you looked GTs up for additional info, but that's exactly what my old armor in Reach used to be.

For as many people as I could I went and just copied their Reach Spartans. Some liberties were taken, from what I can remember:
-All of the visor colors in that post are wrong, and have since been corrected
-Prinz Eugn uses the Halo 4 Scout helmet because so many people are using the Mark VI with the Sniper chest that it's getting difficult to pick them out.
-Some players having only the default Noble 6 on their stats pages, leading me to improvise. FUNKNOWN, for instance, is using Mark V in Halo 4 and some shit I can't get in Halo 5, so I gave him the Mark V in his Halo 4 colors. For the same reason GringoSuave has black/gold Gungnir.
-As far as I can tell Akai has never played Reach, so he has no data. To reflect this he uses one of the few Halo 4 armor sets available along with the Emile armor, which he wanted.
-Daedalius is using the helmet and backpack of a Space Marine from Warhammer 40k

Holy crap I didn't even realise :O

How did you even manage that? I always struggle to find myself because of my GT change. Amazing.

Yeah, that was some shit. Turns out you updated the HaloSLAENT GT list when you joined and listed your GT there and that's how I managed to find yours on Bungie's servers.

BraXzy

Yeah, that was some shit. Turns out you updated the HaloSLAENT GT list when you joined and listed your GT there and that's how I managed to find yours on Bungie's servers.

I gotta commend the dedication to authenticity, that's awesome. My bad on the trickiness!

So you can customise all the characters with most armour sets? That is one hell of a mod.

Top Bottom