• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

For as many people as I could I went and just copied their Reach Spartans. Some liberties were taken, from what I can remember:
-All of the visor colors in that post are wrong, and have since been corrected
-Prinz Eugn uses the Halo 4 Scout helmet because so many people are using the Mark VI with the Sniper chest that it's getting difficult to pick them out.
-Some players having only the default Noble 6 on their stats pages, leading me to improvise. FUNKNOWN, for instance, is using Mark V in Halo 4 and some shit I can't get in Halo 5, so I gave him the Mark V in his Halo 4 colors. For the same reason GringoSuave has black/gold Gungnir.
-As far as I can tell Akai has never played Reach, so he has no data. To reflect this he uses one of the few Halo 4 armor sets available along with the Emile armor, which he wanted.
-Daedalius is using the helmet and backpack of a Space Marine from Warhammer 40k

Yeah, that was some shit. Turns out you updated the HaloSLAENT GT list when you joined and listed your GT there and that's how I managed to find yours on Bungie's servers.

Goddamn you put a ton of work into this.

I shall be the last survivor....and

I wish I looked this badass in halo 5. Lmao

gE2DoGs.jpg

The full visors in halo 5 are all really akward looking. Nothing bad assert screams from them. Just weird curves.

TCKaos

I gotta commend the dedication to authenticity, that's awesome. My bad on the trickiness!

So you can customise all the characters with most armour sets? That is one hell of a mod.

Yeah. Each of the chest armors is a different torso piece, each of the shoulders are a different arm piece and each helmet variant is a different helmet. Some decorative pieces allow for the hip bags and for the tactical pads and stuff. I'm trying to give each player a different voice as well. All of Noble Team as well as Master Chief, Buck and Johnson all have their proper voices.

I've also been trying out some OBS and some different settings to see if I can atleast consistently capture 30FPS and that's not going too well. If anyone has any recommendations for software or anything that'd be awesome.

Operation: GASPING RING (eww)
Starring Jun, Fata1moose, FATstronaut and mastrbiggy.

The team is advancing on an ADVENT train car that has some precious cargo on it. Jun sets up some overwatch while the GAF team sets up on a nearby overpass. Fata1moose provides cover for FATs, who ends up getting shot and smacked with a stun baton. Jun murders three people in cold blood with his laserbeam eyes. Other than FATs, everyone comes out unscathed. FATs is gravely injured and will be in the medbay for some 20 days or so.

Jun's sniper rifle has been renamed "VigilantEye" because that's a thing you can do. It now also has its own custom paint job.

BraXzy

I've also been trying out some OBS and some different settings to see if I can atleast consistently capture 30FPS and that's not going too well. If anyone has any recommendations for software or anything that'd be awesome.

If you have an NVIDIA card, Strider reminded me of the fact that NVIDIA GeForce Experience (which is default installed with drivers) has it's own recording capabilities with ShadowPlay.

You can manually record, or set it to record the last X minutes on button press. Good quality too!

Edit: If you want an idea of quality: https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/8lwt.mp4

Yeah.

"Let the big man do his job" What do you need Kaos I work as a content creator on Youtube and Twitch, streams are a big part of my job so tell me how can I help

blamite

What video card are you using? If it's been a while you might need to upgrade it.

Also blamite;

J0QfByM.jpg

I've also gone back and corrected everyone's visor colors.
God this is so rad. :eek: Makes me really miss Bungie's nearly-flawless Halo aesthetic. I wonder how awesome Halo 5 could look if 343 had kept that style going (343's stuff still often looks pretty nice, but it's just not an aesthetic that grabs me as hard as Bungie's did).

BraXzy

Is it resource-intensive?

Really low performance hit so should be good to go on most rigs :D

I always forget it exists and it's actually fantastic really.

God this is so rad. :eek: Makes me really miss Bungie's nearly-flawless Halo aesthetic. I wonder how awesome Halo 5 could look if 343 had kept that style going (343's stuff still often looks pretty nice, but it's just not an aesthetic that grabs me as hard as Bungie's did).

Yeah I prefer the style and substance of Bungie's aesthetic, something more solid and heroic in a way.

TCKaos

No it's not actually Shadowplay is great for PC gameplays, I use it on my own videos

I'm trying the manual recording option and it's not working for me just yet, but it might be an issue with hotkeys or something.

The GeForce Experience, though, Jesus Christ. Running XCOM 2 through it is like opening my eyes for the first time. 60FPS with pretty damn high settings.

HaloGAFCOM After Action Report #0: "Full Party Wipe, New Game?"

I don't know how to delete anything in an album, so I titled anything I wanted to remove but couldn't "Misc."

Here are some shots and descriptions:

As I continue to struggle through XCOM 2 I'm open to suggestions for mods and such and, if you'd like to volunteer for service, I'd be appreciative. Some of you have been drafted (such as ExWife and Eugn) and I've taken the liberty of snooping through your Reach shit so that I could copy your likeness as much as possible. I have almost no Halo 4 armor, and in this particular instance only opted to use it because I couldn't find Akai's Reach service record.

The mod affords me pretty much as much customization as there was in Reach with a few quirks here and there and the lack of visor colors.

So I just saw these and this is fucking amazing. I lost it at the "scientists" comments lol.

Should we record voice clips?

"Hey buddy!"
"Fuckin' Randies!"
"Do the math!"

I dunno, what else do we say?

"FOR THE COMPANY!"
"AND HIS NAME IS JOHN CENA!"
"Meet me in the middle"

"HOW THE FUCK HAVE ONLY THREE OF US GONE FOR MONUMENT!? HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN EVERY TIME, EVEN AFTER WE DISCUSS IT BEFORE THE GAME STARTS!? ARE YOU TRYING TO LOSE ON PURPOSE!? WTF!?!?!?!?!"

:lol

Well the whole team got captured with ExWife in the party, hardly surprising...

Not dead though. All about that precious K/D, obviously.

BraXzy

I'm trying the manual recording option and it's not working for me just yet, but it might be an issue with hotkeys or something.

The GeForce Experience, though, Jesus Christ. Running XCOM 2 through it is like opening my eyes for the first time. 60FPS with pretty damn high settings.

Are you running XCOM in Borderless Window?

I had that set up in Overwatch and it didn't work. I changed OW to full screen. There's a tick box for recording desktop which is supposed to allow you to record Borderless but it didn't work for me.

The team is advancing on an ADVENT train car that has some precious cargo on it. Jun sets up some overwatch while the GAF team sets up on a nearby overpass. Fata1moose provides cover for FATs, who ends up getting shot and smacked with a stun baton. Jun murders three people in cold blood with his laserbeam eyes. Other than FATs, everyone comes out unscathed. FATs is gravely injured and will be in the medbay for some 20 days or so.

Jun's sniper rifle has been renamed "VigilantEye" because that's a thing you can do. It now also has its own custom paint job.
All this going down and biggy is no where to be found.. He's probably sitting in a corner somewhere with Rockets.

TCKaos

Are you running XCOM in Borderless Window?

I had that set up in Overwatch and it didn't work. I changed OW to full screen. There's a tick box for recording desktop which is supposed to allow you to record Borderless but it didn't work for me.

It was going on fullscreen but the hotkeys still aren't working. They won't record my desktop either.

Maybe it's because I've got two monitors? Oh well, I'm gonna' install the drivers and restart my computer. I'll try one more time before bed.

blamite

Anyone ever join a WZ Turbo game in progress and not have your energy recharge? I was still able to use all my loadout weapons, but the splinter grenade perk didn't work and I couldn't use any power weapons of vehicles. Pretty annoying. Is this a known thing? I don't think I've ever had it happen in regular Warzone.

Akai__

-As far as I can tell Akai has never played Reach, so he has no data. To reflect this he uses one of the few Halo 4 armor sets available along with the Emile armor, which he wanted.

Changed my GT, after the website stopped updating:

xSOD5W0.jpg

Elzar is probably the only one that remembers
Reach

Changed my GT, after the website stopped updating:

xSOD5W0.jpg

Elzar is probably the only one that remembers
Reach

I still think you should have changed your name to fit your temperament over the years

Less Crazy Croatia
Mildly Crazy Croatia
Croatia
Bleh
MonsterFracas

Akai__

I still think you should have changed your name to fit your temperament over the years

I was only crazy when I was still in school. My best friend actually made that GT suggestion, so I went with it. :p

You also went away from Premium Quality, so there's that. :(

Trup1aya

So, I live 600miles away from my momma. So I figured I'd get to spend all day Sunday watching Halo tourneys...

It just hit me, that my this will be my wife's first Mother's Day as a mom. I almost made a fatal mistake.

No halo for me Sunday :(. Truplaya is dad.

Feelsbadman
But also feelsgoodman (to be a dad)

I was only crazy when I was still in school. My best friend actually made that GT suggestion, so I went with it. :p

You also went away from Premium Quality, so there's that. :(

There's a guy who stole that from me, active on off topic.

Even has the same picture as I did.

Shit is freaky.

That's because H5 armor is meh. There are a couple of good designs, but most are bad. Plus there are a lot of repeats where they just change some colors and call it new armor. Also only having body and helm is another disappointing decision.

Personally, I'd rather have less designs with more customization options (aka Reach). Quality over quantity.

I love my Reach character it's better than anything in H5.

playermodel.ashx

jem0208

H5 may have a lot of pretty meh armour but it does have my favourite helmet in the series:

H5-Guardians-Arena-Breakout-Trident-Goblin-1024x576.jpg

The Goblin helmet is fucking awesome.

pieface

Does anyone else find it a bit weird that the only way you can play with the Saw weapon is in Warzone? Surely they must be able to put it on BTB/Arena maps too?

Also, I think BTB needs to be Magnum starts. The magnum is good enough to use in BTB.

Strider

Does anyone else find it a bit weird that the only way you can play with the Saw weapon is in Warzone? Surely they must be able to put it on BTB/Arena maps too?

It's on Fathom/Assault I think..

But yea I do love that gun and wish it appeared a little more often. It doesn't have a place in competitive gametypes but I'd love it on a couple BTB maps or on a couple more gametype/maps in a Social Arena playlist (If we ever get one).

I think it'd be a decent mix in terms of armor design if we got:

Halo 5's...
- Spartan proportions for male / female spartans (give male MP spartans butts though pls). Locke has Reach-tier proportions, but everyone in Reach looks like an action figure. Considering how built they're supposed to be, the thigh gap / tiny legs in general is bizarre.
- Halo 5's colors / palette placement (e.g. some armors having different patterns / decals on them, mix of gradients, dark and light versions of secondary colors as opposed to barely having any of the secondary color in Reach, etc.)
- Clean texture quality, mostly simple armor finishes compared to how grainy and beat-up everything in Reach was
- Undersuits (albeit with more color options). They didn't show up as much depending on the armor in Reach, but imo they looked ridiculous most of the time - like rubbery turtlenecks just grafted over the armor. Speaking of which...
- The "amount" of armor on the Halo 5 Spartans. I know a lot of people aren't a fan, but considering the undersuit actually has a design beyond "space sweater" in Halo 5 compared to Reach, and the fact that the undersuit is borderline as resilient as the armor itself at this point, I prefer having some skimpier armor designs. Not to mention the suit shape lends itself to having a mix of lighter armors and ones that cover the entire body (such as Mark IV).
- The "dimorphism" between the suits of armor is handled way better in 5 than Reach or 4, imo. In Reach the pieces were more or less identical regardless of gender which fit the narrative of Spartan-IIIs being expendable, but in Halo 4 male very much felt like the "default" with the pieces just being stretched or warped to fit the female Spartan model. In 5 it feels like some of the armors were specifically designed with the female Spartan as the base rather than the male - with the most obvious piece of evidence being the suits tailor-made for Kelly, Linda, Tanaka and Vale.

Reach's...
- Level of detail. Some of H5G's go just a little too detailed / overdesigned, and while Reach isn't exempt from it, the art style / modular armor hid it better.
- Customization options in terms of different shoulderpads, etc. I'm conflicted on allowing asymmetrical armor designs like in Reach / 3, but ultimately I think a baseline option suite consisting of Helmet / Thrusters / Arms / Body / Legs would work fine.
- Potential for variations on existing armors and/or attachments. The various textures on Halo 5's armor variations are a good substitute, but it'd be cool if, say, vanilla Hellcat had its own pattern, and then Hellcat Onslaught had its own pattern as well as a bandolier or something. That, or an independent toggle that would allow you a single add-on (backpack, extra knife, etc).
- Helmet proportions. Outside of Mark VI (which I felt was a little too... spherical? not-boxy?) in Reach, most of the helmets tended to be, y'know, head-shaped and fit clearly with the armor as well as generally having better visor designs (imo). There are cool designs in H5G that are diluted by having bizarre helmet proportions - Rogue, Vector, Viper being huge compared to the other helmets, etc.

I'm not in either particular camp when it comes to Bungie armor designs versus 343 armor designs, but Halo 5 has some really cool suits compared to 4 and I really don't see the design philosophies of the Reach / etc prior Spartans being some paragon of the Spartan art style.

Top Bottom