• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

I had a warzone game earlier this morning and was running around with the answer. Killed a tank and should have downed a mantis, but it gave the credit to someone else. Then I went into the garage and couldn't kill a marine with it :p Those marines are wearing super saiyan body armor apparently.

Strider

this first match, truth ctf, is fookin great! 2-2 standoff right now.

EDIT: renegades top 2 confirmed. up 1-0 :p

EDIT 2: whelp. 1-1, it was fun while it lasted. rng = washed.

did you see that jump Snipedown did on Coliseum? The fuck was that? lol

Ryde3

just hit level 100 guys, lol.

Been getting really weird disconnects lately, ex. being in a fireteam and 3 out of 4 people make it in while the other person never leaves the queue without errors. Also lots of lag, I was in a game where every single spartan charge caused lag. *sigh*

Our alliance has ended. 1v1 me TMCC CE Hog Wars Blood Gulch, followed by 1v1 one-sided Assault on High Ground.

What's your progress on REQ unlocks? Are you still unlocking Silvers?

MCC was giving us some decent games connection wise last week while our Aussies issues were all over the place. When's the next CE customs night?

Running away isn't what the problem is, the problem is that usually being your best and/or only option.

Without radar you become more powerful as an individual player because you're not as dependent on your teammates for teamshooting and cover fire. As far as being more effective as a teammate, that's arguable. Sure being able to relay the information from radar to your teammates is more effective than without, but that's not saying much. It would be like wanting Promethean Vision as a Spartan Ability because you can be an even more effective teammate than without, but no one wants that. So it's not really a point in radar's favor considering you can still be equally if not more effective as a teammate because you're now stronger as an individual.

I think it balances out while providing more opportunities for creative movement.

I'd love to see a Team Arena/Slayer social playlist without radar.

Heh I think a lot of the points go both ways. But an old school mlg style option without radar is always welcome. But for me Halo has radar. It's a totally different game without it, I'm not sure you can ever consolidate and make both sides happy.

MCC was giving us some decent games connection wise last week while our Aussies issues were all over the place. When's the next CE customs night?
If you can get some friends I'm down to play whenever works for you. Playing CE customs is a schedule-clearing event, so let me know ;]
Heh I think a lot of the points go both ways. But an old school mlg style option without radar is always welcome. But for me Halo has radar. It's a totally different game without it, I'm not sure you can ever consolidate and make both sides happy.
How about a radar that you only appear when you sprint/shoot? I think that's a fair compromise, and people on the opposite end like Trup seem to agree.

EDIT:
How about you just deal with the motion tracker?! It's been a core gameplay feature since Halo 1 and it should stay.
I've been putting up with motion tracker since 2004 pal. Just because something has been one way for a long time does not mean it can't improve. Ya know, like BR starts, non sluggish movement, and weapons with an effective range greater than 5 feet.

Embrace me for I am not thy enemy, fellow Halo fan.

Cranster

Banned
Servers are completely borked right now. I just lost connection to the dedicated servers twice in a row and every match is full of players losing connection to the game.

How about a radar that you only appear when you sprint/shoot? I think that's a fair compromise, and people on the opposite end like Trup seem to agree.
How about you just deal with the motion tracker?! It's been a core gameplay feature since Halo 1 and it should stay.

Funk is tired of toggle crouching and only wants the nightmare to end ;)
There will be a point when they change motion tracker and everyone loves it, similar to The Great AR/Pistol Wars after years of me saying "The Pistol doesn't heff to be bad.. it doesn't heff to be a 'sidearm' that is generally ineffective." It's going to happen; it's inevitable. It's only a matter of when.

Tashi was supposed to be the inside man for this job, what the hell is he doing?? #FlipTheSwitch

Tawpgun

People complain about halo 5's radar and want it removed? Game moves so fast and the radar range is so small it's a non issue.

You could make the point that if you are in radar range and see a blip you should be able to hear them anyway.

Trup1aya

Consider this: You only JUST found out about this, whereas a majority of Halo players probably won't ever know about it. What difference will it truly make in the grand scheme of things? And now that you do know it, you really think it'll be that much more effective against competent players who see a jumping Spartan move around the map?

Competent players aren't just sitting in a corner staring only at their radar, so why are you assuming such? They have an eye on it while keeping their eyes on the action around them.

There are a lot of things that the general population won't exploit, but those who seek to understand the games mechanic will. It creates separation. That proverbial "gap" everyone is looking for.

Your argument is that radar hampers movement, is it not? Specifically, Players who see value in staying off the radar typically move less, and they prey on players who move more (and show up on the radar). THAT is how radar hampers movement. Not moving provides an advantage over people who are moving.

However, Due to the mechanics, there ARE ways for players to move freely w/o showing up on radar. Utilizing this swings the advantage towards those who move freely and rely on their awareness INSTEAD of the radar.

On the other side, If your opponent is largely staying off radar AND is able to move efficiently around the map, then your lack of movement no longer provides an advantage. You then have to adapt. The result is both teams moving more, and relying on radar less.

Purely anecdotal, but since testing this out, my flanking has become much more likely to succeed. Too bad I can't shoot for shit, because I've already had numerous multi-kill opportunities but I only end up getting one due to inaccuracy.

Radar is here to stay. If they were going to do something about it, they probably would have done it by now.

People complain about halo 5's radar and want it removed? Game moves so fast and the radar range is so small it's a non issue.

You could make the point that if you are in radar range and see a blip you should be able to hear them anyway.

These guys are right you know.

MorganFreeman.jpg

Unable to find a match, try another playlist!

I understand it's 7am on a Wednesday, but come on, I'm searching Slayer.

Halo dad

Of course when I do get a game, it's against a four man playing on new accounts.

and my second game is against the same fucking people.

and third.

ZnXO2co.gif

Just like I was saying the other day, it was probably just all luck. Hopefully you don't run into parties or have quitters on your team. Today I got both.

Fuchsdh

If you guys haven't played Superhot, I strongly recommend it. A really fun game
Although the endless number of challenges I'm going to have to go through to 100% this game will make me cry

In other news, finally going to try and start buckling down on Forge. Now that there's Infection and textures I have basically no excuse not to learn the controls and make something.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Although the endless number of challenges I'm going to have to go through to 100% this game will make me cry

In other news, finally going to try and start buckling down on Forge. Now that there's Infection and textures I have basically no excuse not to learn the controls and make something.

If I had more time i would like mess around in Forge. The tool set looks crazy now.

Zeta Oni

So am I the only one noticing that effect on the infected that makes them look almost cell shaded?

What is it with this games graphics that causes this to happen? I remember back before launch there was a trailer that had a scene with fred, linda, kelly, and MC all next to each other that had a few gaffers questioning about a cell shaded style as well.

And now I want a Halo MMO with a cell shaded style.

Or just a Halo MMO in general.

The texture updates are truly phenomenal. I REALLLY hope forge maps start to trickle into some type of playlist.

Maybe the only thing holding them back is spawn balance? I actually have no idea and i'm just guessing.

So am I the only one noticing that effect on the infected that makes them look almost cell shaded?

What is it with this games graphics that causes this to happen? I remember back before launch there was a trailer that had a scene with fred, linda, kelly, and MC all next to each other that had a few gaffers questioning about a cell shaded style as well.

And now I want a Halo MMO with a cell shaded style.

Or just a Halo MMO in general.

Bonnie: "I am pleased to announce our partnership with
BLIZZARD Entertainment
to help us imagine a vast role playing expeirence in the Halo Universe. "

^ I'd be so down for that.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The texture updates are truly phenomenal. I REALLLY hope forge maps start to trickle into some type of playlist.

Maybe the only thing holding them back is spawn balance? I actually have no idea and i'm just guessing.

BLIZZARD Entertainment

Gimme moar Halo!

Ryde3

Our alliance has ended. 1v1 me TMCC CE Hog Wars Blood Gulch, followed by 1v1 one-sided Assault on High Ground.

What's your progress on REQ unlocks? Are you still unlocking Silvers?

Been done with Silvers for a while, I also didn't start buying the packs 'correctly' for a LONG while, almost 2,3 months.

Halo Waypoint says I have 79/89 power weapons, 59/64 vehicles, all powerups.

I need 1 more BR, 10 more DMRs, the H2 BR, the ultra rare magnum, 3 smgs, 1 armor mod.

For gear I have 183/218 helmets, 184/218 armors, 52/59 visors, 184/280 emblems, 21/23 stances, 25/27 assassinations, 72/83 skins.

If there was a better way to give this information I apologize ahead of time.

Zeta Oni

BLIZZARD Entertainment

I can see it now....

Halo: Worlds
Third person shooter/RPG/MMO hybrid
Developed by Blizzard entertainment.

Or maybe...

Grand Theft Auto: Sanghelios
Third person action adventure/ Open World
Developed by Rockstar

Or maybe...

Vanquish 2: Spartan bugaloo
Third person character action/shooter
Developed by Platinum

Or maybe...

Halo Kart
Racing
Developed by Playground games

Or maybe...

Destiny.

But seriously, we need a Halo RPG at some point. It's universe is ripe for it.

Fuchsdh

Spawning is as far as I can tell from my own efforts making maps in previous games definitely one of the trickiest things to get right, especially for objective.

I do hope we get a handful of really polished Forge maps into the competitive rotation, though, and some weekly Forge playlists scattered in, fit to themes.

Also, more BTB maps and more updated versions of the existing ones.

Trup1aya

Damn I forgot I needed to go back to silvers and I dropped 20k on golds since the update... Luckily I ended up getting ultra rares.

I can see it now....

snip
But seriously, we need a Halo RPG at some point. It's universe is ripe for it.

Especially from what i read time to time in the halo lore thread. Would be amazing to explore many places.

Spawning is as far as I can tell from my own efforts making maps in previous games definitely one of the trickiest things to get right, especially for objective.

I do hope we get a handful of really polished Forge maps into the competitive rotation, though, and some weekly Forge playlists scattered in, fit to themes.

Also, more BTB maps and more updated versions of the existing ones.

I hope we hear something about forge community maps this friday.

I'm getting INSANELY tired of the brain dead gameplay Halo 5 promotes. It's literally get a SMG/SR or BR/Carbine and charge straight at/challenge people. Half of the fault lies with the tier 1/2/3 weapon system and the other half with the segmented, halway/square room map design. "Back to equal starts!!!!" "oh we forgot to mention every gun on the map is easier/stronger/more useful than your starting weapons" Seriously this shit needs to get fixed, TA preview is a good first step, now make that shit game wide.

Fuchsdh

No posts for nearly 4 hours?

Halo is dad.

Some of us have work.

EuroGAF should be picking up the slack.

I'm getting INSANELY tired of the brain dead gameplay Halo 5 promotes. It's literally get a SMG/SR or BR/Carbine or OS/Camo and charge straight at/challenge people. Half of the fault lies with the tier 1/2/3 weapon system and the other half with the segmented, halway/square room map design. "Back to equal starts!!!!" "oh we forgot to mention every gun on the map is easier/stronger/more useful than your starting weapons" Seriously this shit needs to get fixed, TA preview is a good first step, now make that shit game wide.

...this is simply not objectively true.

I'm getting INSANELY tired of the brain dead gameplay Halo 5 promotes. It's literally get a SMG/SR or BR/Carbine and charge straight at/challenge people. Half of the fault lies with the tier 1/2/3 weapon system and the other half with the segmented, halway/square room map design. "Back to equal starts!!!!" "oh we forgot to mention every gun on the map is easier/stronger/more useful than your starting weapons" Seriously this shit needs to get fixed, TA preview is a good first step, now make that shit game wide.

not sure if serious... halo 5 has the most balanced sandbox compared to every other halo (maybe not 1)

Halo has be primarily this way since 2001, this just hit you?

Whats balanced about SR beating AR 9/10 times and BR beating Pistol 7/10??

The problem with spanwing people with great weapons is that no one will move out of their spawn. Part of not doing that is to get players moving around the map and establish map control. This is what halo has been forever. Changing that changes the way the game is played.

It's been niche circumstances until H5, now every weapon on the map will rip your face off in a 1v1 and not just power weapons.

So youd rather have only one that you can lose to the other team and not stand a change at all? Your halo doesnt sound fun.

The problem with spanwing people with great weapons is that no one will move out of their spawn. Part of not doing that is to get players moving around the map and establish map control. This is what halo has been forever. Changing that changes the way the game is played.

Again power weapons/power ups are completely fine, the fact that there's 4 stupidly OP CQC weapons on empire spawning EVERY 20 seconds, that will destroy your AR 9/10 times is not fine. That's not counting the PP which is arguably better than h2, shotgun, oversheild and 2 much easier to use BR's.

So youd rather have only one that you can lose to the other team and not stand a change at all? Your halo doesnt sound fun.
You don't think Halo 1-Reach were fun?

Again power weapons/power ups are completely fine, the fact that there's 4 stupidly OP CQC weapons on empire spawning EVERY 20 seconds, that will destroy your AR 9/10 times is not fine. That's not counting the PP which is arguably better than h2, shotgun, oversheild and 2 much easier to use BR's.

Normally you spawn with the pistol too and you can do a lot of damage with that, if youre good with it.

This is one complaint i have not had in this game. Weapons to me are the best theyve ever been.

You don't think Halo 1-Reach were fun?

Reach was the worst for guns. 3 had a bunch of weapons and grenades that did no damage, 2 was good, 1 everyone just used the pistol. I had fun at the time, but to go back to that over this, i would not.

edit: only thing id take from those games are the MP maps.

Top Bottom