• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Maybe they don't want to blow their load with new vehicles and want to save some for 6?
That's what I'm thinking.

I know we're going to see Halo Wars 2 at E3 and I'm excited for it, but I hope we hear something on Halo 5's content releases and Halo 6. Is their sustain plan changing, and are they starting fresh with Halo 6's multiplayer? Not expecting anything on Halo 6 though.

Madness

Not even 7 months from Halo 5 launch and you guys think they would even remotely announce something for Halo 6? That is guaranteed at least another 2 years away.

BizzyBum

I'm hoping Halo 6 is the next Xbox's launch title.

Not even 7 months from Halo 5 launch and you guys think they would even remotely announce something for Halo 6? That is guaranteed at least another 2 years away.

It's weird. Halo 5 is still a pretty new game, but at the same time it already feels old. Though I notice this phenomenon with lots of games. I think it boils down to the insane amount of good games that come out nowadays so nothing really stays in the spotlight for that long after release.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

It's weird. Halo 5 is still a pretty new game, but at the same time it already feels old. Though I notice this phenomenon with lots of games. I think it boils down to the insane amount of good games that come out nowadays so nothing really stays in the spotlight for that long after release.

id say the really early beta has a lot to do with that feeling.

If it feels old, I blame it on the lack of new maps outside of the Infection, BTB and Breakout playlists. With the amount of quality available forge maps, the slayer playlist should feel readily fresh, but it doesn't.

Which is why I said I'm not expecting it lol, but it would be cool if they did. Poncho Chief was in 2013, Halo 5 released in 2015, although to be fair they didn't really release any info on it, but that's essentially what I'm saying here.

Know what I'm saying? ;]

So with maps being delayed to the WZ Firefight update, Hog Wild becomes the most lackluster update thus far. This is after all content updates were already pushed back once too.

Ramirez

This game needs a social playlist with skill matching off so badly. Getting smoked every match by teams is really fun. Like counting down the days to Overwatch fun.

Welfare

2 updates in one month makes up for any delays in content I think. Just makes the end of June much more juicy.

Those Plasma Rifle variants look to have been moved to June as well.

This game needs a social playlist with skill matching off so badly. Getting smoked every match by teams is really fun. Like counting down the days to Overwatch fun.
ha the first thing my coworker said to me when i got into work tonight was, "only 3 days until Overwatch arrives at my doorstep!"

2 updates in one month makes up for any delays in content I think. Just makes the end of June much more juicy.

Those Plasma Rifle variants look to have been moved to June as well.
I think you missed the part where the hog wild is a REQ update, not a full update.

Madness

It is the annualized release era. Games get played and burnt out on too quick.

Which is why I said I'm not expecting it lol, but it would be cool if they did. Poncho Chief was in 2013, Halo 5 released in 2015, although to be fair they didn't really release any info on it, but that's essentially what I'm saying here.

Know what I'm saying? ;]

Was Poncho Chief really 2013? Forgot that. I think that was more because they needed to give something for their fledgling Xbox One. I think we probably are going to see a Halo 3 anniversary for 2017 coupled with PC release? Halo 5 engine but with updated Halo 3 maps designed and built around H5 mechanics?

Was Poncho Chief really 2013? Forgot that. I think that was more because they needed to give something for their fledgling Xbox One. I think we probably are going to see a Halo 3 anniversary for 2017 coupled with PC release? Halo 5 engine but with updated Halo 3 maps designed and built around H5 mechanics?
Eh I'd say not even worry about H3 anniversary and just release all of or all of the good halo 3 maps onto halo 5. Waiting for them to do H3A would take too long.

BraXzy

I don't think that's the case. Going back and looking at the game the total damage done by my team adds up to be about what you'd expect from a Team slayer game going to 50 kills considering it only counts damage from enemies that die.

Damage count sometimes (always?) bugs and lists as 0 if you don't die. It happened to Snip3down when I was watching his stream and they joked about it. It fails to calculate for some reason.

EYEL1NER

A Needler Hog? I like the sound of that; I've developed a love for the Needler in this game.

Seeing yet another AR and BR variant makes me wish even harder that they would put in some kind of toggle to allow you to skim through REQ level weapons quicker, especially since I imagine they will be lower ranked REQs. As it is now, if I gain a REQ level early on I just wait to upgrade my starting weapons until I die, because when I try to use a REQ station, someone tends to run in and kill me while I am scrolling through to get to the upgraded weapon that I want.

And that news about the boosts remaining unused if you don't meet the requirements: Fantastic! I just wish it had been like that sooner or I would have a lot more Gambits like Spartan Kills that I missed out on after a JIP on a losing game at the end.

How rediculous is that Clip of the Week too? At the beginning, I wondered how many survivors were left. Then the announcer bellowed that there were two survivors left and the second guy died in the middle of the screen. I checked how much time was left, saw that it was over a minute remaining, and said "Holy shit, how will he get out of this?!" That was remarkable.

Prinz Eugn's Sleepy THoughts

Boy it would be sweet if I could put all the weapons I don't use into a separate REQ "folder" that would be there during a match, so I wouldn't have to scroll through every shitty uncommon variant of everything to get to the one I want. I would want to the contents to still be accessible though, but only if I actually went into that folder (an extra keypress away).

Im the only one who grabs plasma caster..netting kills each time with ease...

I guess im the caster man.
Dude I love the plasma caster. On the Rig i run for it over the sniper rifle. And I save my plasma caster reqs instead of selling them in WZ most of the time.

Prinz Eugn's Sleepy THoughts

Boy it would be sweet if I could put all the weapons I don't use into a separate REQ "folder" that would be there during a match, so I wouldn't have to scroll through every shitty uncommon variant of everything to get to the one I want. I would want to the contents to still be accessible though, but only if I actually went into that folder (an extra keypress away).
Yep that seems to be a frequent request and you wouldn't think it would be that hard to implement, but I'm not a developer. Or at least give us presets for each Req level.

EDIT:
I'm watching Str8 SicK stream some games with subs and he was talking about how he's not interested in streaming LCQ games tomorrow to save bandwidth solely for his online connection. Saving the bandwidth for the matches makes total sense, but then he said that the best connection he can get is 28 down and 4 up. That seems like a liability to me. Like if I'm a team looking for a replacement player, I'm not going to pick someone whose internet connection is questionable. Granted 28 mbps download speeds is enough, but still.

Glass

Calling it, a new vehicle like the falcon or revenant is one of the things moved into the Firefight update for maximum hype. I'm fine with this.

Glass

I'm watching Str8 SicK stream some games with subs and he was talking about how he's not interested in streaming LCQ games tomorrow to save bandwidth solely for his online connection. Saving the bandwidth for the matches makes total sense, but then he said that the best connection he can get is 28 down and 4 up. That seems like a liability to me. Like if I'm a team looking for a replacement player, I'm not going to pick someone whose internet connection is questionable. Granted 28 mbps download speeds is enough, but still.

Yeah 28 is a little worrying, I'd be on the first flight to the Optic house if I was him.

Needle hog is just strange, you have covenant tech on a unsc vehicle... this ain't rocket league.

Just make a new covie vehicle or make a needle ghost/spectre/whatever.

I may do the unthinkable and trade in my Wii U and some games for an elite controller. I just can't justify spending 150 on a controller at all, but I don't plan on using my wii u for anything until zelda comes out next year in march. By that time I don't even know if Ill have time to be playing games or not. So might as well make use of the time i have now. Thoughts? Good idea or bad? I want paddles like right now.
28 is not the limiting factor and has nothing to do with it.

4 is fine.
yeah i figured it was enough, but still seems low if you want to be a pro-player and plan on doing lots of online tournaments. I'd be like give me some fios or google fiber already.

I may do the unthinkable and trade in my Wii U and some games for an elite controller. I just can't justify spending 150 on a controller at all, but I don't plan on using my wii u for anything until zelda comes out next year in march. By that time I don't even know if Ill have time to be playing games or not. So might as well make use of the time i have now. Thoughts? Good idea or bad? I want paddles like right now.

Even though I really don't play my Wii U that much, I can't see myself trading it in. I haven't played it in months and I'm also pretty much just waiting for Zelda. I don't have an Elite, but I've had my Scuf for almost two years now and I still don't even use the paddles on it lol.

yeah i figured it was enough, but still seems low if you want to be a pro-player and plan on doing lots of online tournaments. I'd be like give me some fios or google fiber already.

It's about the latency, not the throughput speed (for the most part). The upload pertains to streaming more. Getting a fiber connection might help in that regard as well, but it's not anything to do with the speed.

Even though I really don't play my Wii U that much, I can't see myself trading it in. I haven't played it in months and I'm also pretty much just waiting for Zelda. I don't have an Elite, but I've had my Scuf for almost two years now and I still don't even use the paddles on it lol.
i can feel the handicap when i'm playing and having to take my thumb off the right analog to use thrust or sprint. It's just a nuisance for me. I use bumper jumper and know that I could make things slightly easier on myself by switching control schemes, but the last time I did that was in Halo Reach (went from boxer to bumper jumper) and that was a month straight of trying to get used to the switch. I won't do that again. And I still need to get a controller that has the 3.5 mm jack. I play almost exclusively with the sound off and i get boned all the time in matchmaking because of it. Ready to play some sounds through a headset. Plus, I'd be much more help to my team :p
It's about the latency, not the throughput speed (for the most part). The upload pertains to streaming more. Getting a fiber connection might help in that regard as well, but it's not anything to do with the speed.
gotcha. thanks for the clarification.

i can feel the handicap when i'm playing and having to take my thumb off the right analog to use thrust or sprint. It's just a nuisance for me. I use bumper jumper and know that I could make things slightly easier on myself by switching control schemes, but the last time I did that was in Halo Reach (went from boxer to bumper jumper) and that was a month straight of trying to get used to the switch. I won't do that again. And I still need to get a controller that has the 3.5 mm jack. I play almost exclusively with the sound off and i get boned all the time in matchmaking because of it. Ready to play some sounds through a headset. Plus, I'd be much more help to my team :p

I feel the same way when it comes to thrust. I have sprint on left stick (ayy lmao,) so that doesn't bother me much. However, thrust is a whole another issue that I have that set to B. Like I really should have the paddle for thrust, but my muscle memory if just too strong. Even if I sit them and try to use the paddle, I just end up pressing B. It's just a habit that's extremely hard to break, so I just said fuck. I'm not going pro or whatever.

I feel the same way when it comes to thrust. I have sprint on left stick (ayy lmao,) so that doesn't bother me much. However, thrust is a whole another issue that I have that set to B. Like I really should have the paddle for thrust, but my muscle memory if just too strong. Even if I sit them and try to use the paddle, I just end up pressing B. It's just a habit that's extremely hard to break, so I just said fuck. I'm not going pro or whatever.
definitely. you should go with whatever you're most comfortable with. I'm already in the market for a new controller, so I'm just like might as well pay double for the elite or get some trade-in value to buy it without spending so much. I looked long and hard at the lunar white controller, but i really really want the paddles.

IHaveIce

Banned
Gaming side is so embarassing. Forge on windows 10 with all maps included for custom games is huge for all Halo fans.

I'm absolutely interested in Halo customs in 4k with mouse+kb

Hearing that this months update is just a content drop was expected, since remember reach just came out.
June update will be interesting since they said WZ FF and Arena MapS

definitely. you should go with whatever you're most comfortable with. I'm already in the market for a new controller, so I'm just like might as well pay double for the elite or get some trade-in value to buy it without spending so much. I looked long and hard at the lunar white controller, but i really really want the paddles.

Elite is definitely the way to go if you're looking for a new controller.

Halo bitch time: I don't understand why some people even play. The score was only 8-11 and someone quits because he was 0-4.

jem0208

Wait, 28 down is considered questionable?

Here I am with my 1mb/s download speed (something like 8 down?) and I'm loving it. It was only a couple of years ago that I couldn't break 400kb/s.

“Focused matchmaking”

Party? Check.
Champion? Check.

The only why the game was even close to begin with was because of the Gold on their team that eventually quit. How you can have a fucking Gold and Champion in the same game is beyond me. Guess I should just find some Bronze friends and play with them.

Screenshot-Original.png

singhr1

Alright! Needle Hog gets a regenerative shield too!

SWORD HOG

Experiments with Subanese crystal explosives and Sangheili regenerative shield technology are being pioneered by UNSC forces working with the Arbiter’s Swords of Sanghelios.

These teams, operating in concert with allied Sangheili forces, have also been utilizing locally-sourced surface treatments and parts for their fleet of vehicles. The novel innovations introduced as a result of this cooperation have now been put to the test in War Games simulations on the UNSC Infinity and at High Command

jem0208

Gaming side is so embarassing. Forge on windows 10 with all maps included for custom games is huge for all Halo fans.

I'm absolutely interested in Halo customs in 4k with mouse+kb
But it's not exactly what I want therefore it's trash and a slap in the face.

*Even though it wasn't made for me in the first place.

If you didn't realise, /s

Damn this update will be small, hyped for the end of June. Finally adding updated maps to slayer etc. Yes!

Imo they should replace storm rifles with brute plasma rifles, much more balanced.

Elite is definitely the way to go if you're looking for a new controller.

Halo bitch time: I don't understand why some people even play. The score was only 8-11 and someone quits because he was 0-4.
I just went 3 and 21 on truth because my whole team quit out. Fun! And played against what I'm pretty sure was a full team the game before that too...

Ramirez

“Focused matchmaking”

Party? Check.
Champion? Check.

The only why the game was even close to begin with was because of the Gold on their team that eventually quit. How you can have a fucking Gold and Champion in the same game is beyond me. Guess I should just find some Bronze friends and play with them.

Yea, every time I've tried to play lately, I'm just matched with Champions and 2K+ Onyx people, usually on a team. I placed Diamond 5 in Slayer, and 6 in Arena, why am I getting put against those people every match?

I think I could count on one hand the amount of times I've ever matched against low tier Diamond players, despite placing in Diamond the past 2-3 months.

I'm assuming it's a mixture of past skill ratings of my own and a low population to pull from or something. I just know it's zero fun to log on occasionally, and get creamed for 6-7 games in a row by clearly superior teams that I don't feel like I should be playing while I'm solo queing.

Yea, every time I've tried to play lately, I'm just matched with Champions and 2K+ Onyx people, usually on a team. I placed Diamond 5 in Slayer, and 6 in Arena, why am I getting put against those people every match?

I think I could count on one hand the amount of times I've ever matched against low tier Diamond players, despite placing in Diamond the past 2-3 months.

I'm assuming it's a mixture of past skill ratings of my own and a low population to pull from or something. I just know it's zero fun to log on occasionally, and get creamed for 6-7 games in a row by clearly superior teams that I don't feel like I should be playing while I'm solo queing.

You'll have the overwatch population to take out your anger on soon.

Top Bottom