• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

Ah yeah, my bad for not readying closely.

My solution is to move to Australia.

Out of the fire and into the frying pan. I'm usually rushing to set a boost REQ just before the game loads, they take that long to pop up, as do my points.

Finding games with a good connection has been sooo much better. Thanks for that 343.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
man, i feel for elevate. so many scrappy close matches. i'll be legit sad for them not to make pro league.

Strider

I'm glad that Elevate and Optic actually got to play each other for the last spot instead of it being decided by just single elim...

Double Elim >>> Single Elim

Trup1aya

Seems like the losers bracket was good for Optic. They really got warm and were able to find their grove.

those boys avoided Hecs wrath... For now

Optic dominating in strongholds which is a good thing for them since objectives are not their strong suit.

Interestingly, it they only dropped slayers to elevate

I wonder why no one was ghost jumping in any of these matches. Almost as if it's not a game changer, although there were some opportunities for it but the pros didn't do it. So while yes, on paper and against randoms in matchmaking who aren't aware of their surroundings it may be good, it's not good enough in defense of keeping radar as it is.

Get mad Trup and co.
kappa.png

I wonder why no one was ghost jumping in any of these matches. Almost as if it's not a game changer, although there were some opportunities for it but the pros didn't do it. So while yes, on paper and against randoms in matchmaking who aren't aware of their surroundings it may be good, it's not good enough in defense of keeping radar as it is.

Get mad Trup and co.
kappa.png

What's ghost jumping?

Seems like the losers bracket was good for Optic. They really got warm and were able to find their grove.

those boys avoided Hecs wrath... For now

Interestingly, it they only dropped slayers to elevate
You've gotta be shitting me. I had some major phone calls at work about active weather in the gulf of mexico and missed the last 3 games of the series. Saw Optic win the stronghold on Eden/Empire and then watched Optic get dropped in slayer on Plaza. UgH!
Glad they got through though.

What's ghost jumping?
When you hold crouch and jump around for movement. You're taken off the radar when you crouch in the air, so it's a good tactic to sprint -> slide then jump and crouch. Continue holding crouch as you continue jumping around too. You can build up some decent momentum when jumping down ramps/other angled surfaces.

It can be useful at times.

Strider

Don't get me wrong I'm not for radar in it's current form but I saw a lot of crouch jumping from certain players today... Especially Naded.

I don't think a lot of people even realize you don't need to slide or have built up momentum for crouch jumping to be effective either. If you just hold crouch and jump it's still way faster than crouch walking.

belushy

Banned
Happy Optic made it in. Also extremely happy for Stellur and Assault making it into the pro league (don't really care for the other two on Liquid, though)

But come'on, no way CLG drops a series the entire season. They absolutely dominate every team in scrims.

edit: Oh and can't wait for team skiiiiiiiins

Don't get me wrong I'm not for radar in it's current form but I saw a lot of crouch jumping from certain players today... Especially Naded.

I don't think a lot of people even realize you don't need to slide or have built up momentum for crouch jumping to be effective either. If you just hold crouch and jump it's still way faster than crouch walking.
Do you think that makes using toggle crouch a little more viable? I crouch with the left stick and it murders my thumb if i use it too much or for too long.
Happy Optic made it in. Also extremely happy for Stellur and Assault making it into the pro league (don't really care for the other two on Liquid, though)

But come'on, no way CLG drops a series the entire season. They absolutely dominate every team in scrims.

edit: Oh and can't wait for team skiiiiiiiins
Are team skins going to be a thing? I like the idea, but thought it was just someone's fantasy lol.

Strider

Here's an example of the crouch jumping from Naded that I remembered. I time stamped but should happen around around 5 hr 13 min 34 seconds. Notice how when Hysteria looks through the window he's looking in the wrong direction... And Naded wouldn't have made it to that side of the window fast enough by just crouch walking.

https://www.twitch.tv/halo/v/67974715?t=05h13m30s

It's not something you'll do a lot obviously but something you can def utilize at times

Trup1aya

It's really effective, I'm not sure if pro players have been doing it all along, but I've noticed it a TON since ryanoob put out his video.

It significantly cut down on the "ring-around-the-Rosie" BS you run into, and it allows for flanking undetected w/o crouch walking.

No, it's not as good as having no radar, but it's fun punishing those who are over reliant.

Do you think that makes using toggle crouch a little more viable? I crouch with the left stick and it murders my thumb if i use it too much or for too long.

Are team skins going to be a thing? I like the idea, but thought it was just someone's fantasy lol.

Nah, it puts people who toggle crounch are still at a disadvantage I'd say.

Ghost jumping is situational. The majority of your crouching is still going to be when you are strafing or trying to make skill jumps. You don't want toggle crounch when doing those things.

Trup1aya

Get mad Trup and co.
kappa.png

It never was a defense of KEEPING radar. It's a way for players to circumvent radar when staying undetected is crucial.

Think about what you are saying. If high level players are so totally aware of their surrounding that they'll never be fooled by a crouch jumper, then why do you suggest they NEED to turn radar off? By your logic, pro's will be aware of each other's every move, radar or not.

Also people were doing plenty in the LQC... And I just watched Lethul doing in scrims like 5 minutes ago.

Madness

Radar should never have been allowed for pro play though. Pros are too used to it to remove now, but the game is worse because of it watching at the high levels of play. Still fun to watch but I can do without the hiding and radar watching and crouching with autos etc.

No one was ghost jumping? What the hell matches were you watching?

This. A ton of people were doing it.

No one was ghost jumping? What the hell matches were you watching?
I mostly saw the later half and there were only a certain few, like Strider said. Plus, it was mostly in jest because <3 The Radar Brigade&#8482;
Keepo.png

Radar should never have been allowed for pro play though. Pros are too used to it to remove now, but the game is worse because of it watching at the high levels of play. Still fun to watch but I can do without the hiding and radar watching and crouching with autos etc.
Yeah. I want to see 2v2's make a return in a major way as well, preferably without radar.

When you hold crouch and jump around for movement. You're taken off the radar when you crouch in the air, so it's a good tactic to sprint -> slide then jump and crouch. Continue holding crouch as you continue jumping around too. You can build up some decent momentum when jumping down ramps/other angled surfaces.

It can be useful at times.

Sounds nifty. That's some good shit right there

&#128076;&#128064;&#128076;&#128064;&#128076;&#128064;&#128076;&#128064;&#128076;&#128064; good shit go&#3174;&#1281; sHit&#128076; thats &#10004; some good&#128076;&#128076;shit right&#128076;&#128076;there&#128076;&#128076;&#128076; right&#10004;there &#10004;&#10004;if i do &#445;a&#1199; so my self &#128175; i say so &#128175; thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: &#691;&#7590;&#7501;&#688;&#7511; &#7511;&#688;&#7497;&#691;&#7497;) mMMMM&#5047;&#1052;&#128175; &#128076;&#128076; &#128076;&#1053;O0&#1054;&#2848;OOOOO&#1054;&#2848;&#2848;Oooo&#7506;&#7506;&#7506;&#7506;&#7506;&#7506;&#7506;&#7506;&#7506;&#128076; &#128076;&#128076; &#128076; &#128175; &#128076; &#128064; &#128064; &#128064; &#128076;&#128076;Good shit

This deserves a quote. QFT

Strider

New settings for pro league go live for Team Arena tomorrow yea? Ready for them to be finalized and also hope some of the newew maps make it... Altho the best day of all was when they updated TA to not have Fathom Assault anymore. That shit was traaaaash.

New settings for pro league go live for Team Arena tomorrow yea? Ready for them to be finalized and also hope some of the newew maps make it... Altho the best day of all was when they updated TA to not have Fathom Assault anymore. That shit was traaaaash.

Gametypes are actually finalized on Wednesday. It got extended cause they made v3 maps on Friday and need additional feedback

Im thinking about getting a X1 primarily for Halo 5.

How is the Halo 5 community doing? All modes still playable and has a decent player base playing each day or has the community focused on a couple modes and nothing else? How easy is it to find a game?

Warzone seems interesting to me, is it still played?

Ramirez

How is the Halo 5 community doing? All modes still playable and has a decent player base playing each day or has the community focused on a couple modes and nothing else? How easy is it to find a game?

I can't speak for other countries, but if you're in the US, you'll have no trouble finding matches in any playlist.

Like Ram said, if you&#8217;re from the US you won&#8217;t have troubles finding games at all, especially Warzone. WZ is easily the most played mode and it&#8217;ll probably get even more popular with WZ FF at the end of June. The H5 community is very healthy, not H3 and Reach level, but there are more than enough people playing.

To add to what people already said, the only mode that isn't highly populated is Breakout. Which....isn't like 'normal' Halo anyway so it's not like you're gonna miss out on the Halo experience by not playing it

With the way emblems unlock now, can I just move on to Gold once I unlock all non-emblem stuff from silvers?

Like Ram said, if you&#8217;re from the US you won&#8217;t have troubles finding games at all, especially Warzone. WZ is easily the most played mode and it&#8217;ll probably get even more popular with WZ FF at the end of June. The H5 community is very healthy, not H3 and Reach level, but there are more than enough people playing.

Actually you won't have trouble finding games on any playlist other than Breakout anywhere in the world right now.

No issue finding games in the EU. Breakout is fine too, in my experience.

Game is superb, warts and all. I genuinely can't get excited about most online shooters because of H5, unless they're significantly different.

Do yourself a favour and start with a focused search setting for your playlist of choice, if you're finding games great as they'll be better quality. If you're not finding games with a no match found red screen after a few minutes then change that setting to balanced. Repeat down to expanded if necessary. This is a good method for each session of play, depending on your country/region and what times you're searching for games.

Severely bummed. I thought I was going to have 2 final warzone req bundle packs to open this morning and they never came. I must have counted wrong. ;_;

mo60

Do yourself a favour and start with a focused search setting for your playlist of choice, if you're finding games great as they'll be better quality. If you're not finding games with a no match found red screen after a few minutes then change that setting to balanced. Repeat down to expanded if necessary. This is a good method for each session of play, depending on your country/region and what times you're searching for games.

Focused works pretty well usually, but focused matches are more likely to end up as sweatfests in warzone from what I noticed. This is most likely applies to arena to.

singhr1

After the Arena Summer Preview period ends and gametypes are locked in for Pro League, is the playlist going back to how it was before.... with Torque, Overgrowth, and Riptide included?

Loomba

I haven't took it off of focused since it came out and I can count the amount of times it's lagged since then on one hand.

When I can't find matches with focused is when I stop playing.

Top Bottom