• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

I really wish I played kids that mindlessly ran around SC, I really do. :(

Yeahi agree and i was gonna say..

When i play vs diamond or onyxs they dont use sc. Theyre not one man armys hoping to carry the team with 30+ kills. They Always rely on comms, position and team shots.

When i play vs gold and platinums, i see ppl sc way more often and usuually depend on it. Hence theyll never get to diamond or higher cause their mentallity is nothing of a sort to play differently or better with their team. Even see somd of them ground pound their teammates cause they wanted the kill. Lol....

Sc is a in a weird position but over all i think its fine. If i seen pros abuse it then id think differentl. But i dont see them use it at all. Correct me if im wrong.

blamite

From the Forge thread:

The guy that made the dorm room map also remade Lockout and Guardian. At the same time, on the same map.

Oh man that looks really cool. Just judging byt the video it kinda feels like one of those optical illusions or something where you look at something from a different perspective and it turns into something completely different. Very cool. I have a feeling I'd constantly get so confused playing that though.

Trup1aya

I really wish I played kids that mindlessly ran around SC, I really do. :(

I'm not seeing people constantly running around Spartan charging. But when it happens it's annoying, and it really shouldn't happen.

Yeahi agree and i was gonna say..

When i play vs diamond or onyxs they dont use sc. Theyre not one man armys hoping to carry the team with 30+ kills. They Always rely on comms, position and team shots.

When i play vs gold and platinums, i see ppl sc way more often and usuually depend on it. Hence theyll never get to diamond or higher cause their mentallity is nothing of a sort to play differently or better with their team. Even see somd of them ground pound their teammates cause they wanted the kill. Lol....

Sc is a in a weird position but over all i think its fine. If i seen pros abuse it then id think differentl. But i dont see them use it at all. Correct me if im wrong.

Naturally, It doesn't happen with pros, but in addition to their heightened awareness, they are constantly providing each other information about enemy whereabouts. They are never "aimless"

When your in a game with 7 other people each with their own agendas, your bound to encounter some fuckery...

nOJwoTR.gif
Here's an interesting thread. In my opinion it's crazy how people are complaining about SC, yet we see how easily avoidable it is right in the OP. Some hilarious posts in there. Pls nerf.

EDIT:
I wonder if he would have avoided that without seeing the enemy on radar

With a sprint/shooting-based radar they would have.

I went to a casting for a job today wish me success and good luck guys :) now that the pressure is over until hopefully they call me I can play Halo 5 again!

Madness

nOJwoTR.gif

Here's an interesting thread. In my opinion it's crazy how people are complaining about SC, yet we see how easily avoidable it is right in the OP. Some hilarious posts in there. Pls nerf.

EDIT:

I don't know. A lot of the maps are claustrophobic and with tight spaces and corners. It is one thing avoiding an SC on a super open ramp and you see the radar of him coming. And another playing Fathom or Overgrowth and having a spawn catch you off guard.

The goal of adding the sprint penalty was to offset the use of sprint but they then made Spartan Charge which has probably caused sprinting to be more ubiqituous than ever. Far more reward than there is risk. The majority of people aren't whiffing on their Spartan Charges I think. Maybe it is less used at the Onyx and above levels. But it is essentually a 5 foot melee in my eyes that I can do without.

Trup1aya

nOJwoTR.gif

EDIT:

Nice, Warzone, out in the open, with that 40m radar...

Perfectly comparable to the arena experience...

What's this about SC on small maps? I see you guys forgot about this:
I paused for a split second to see if they'd keep charging, they did, I predicted SC, didn't even need to thrust - just sidestepped. You just need to be aware of your surroundings. This is a perfect example of the common "SC around corners" complaint.

Trup1aya

What's this about SC on small maps? I see you guys forgot about this:

I paused for a split second to see if they'd keep charging, they did, I predicted SC, didn't even need to thrust - just sidestepped. You just need to be aware of your surroundings. This is a perfect example of the common "SC around corners" complaint.

Are you that good or was he that bad?

Nice job crouching to get off radar by the way. Probably helped throw off his aim. Still, I really don't think that sidestep is successful even 50% of the time... a halfway decent player would have landed that SC. It has really strong magnetism. He must have been significantly off.

Without radar
Everyone can sprint without any worry about showing up on tracker

Everyone Will be able to camp areas easier since your not constricted to crouch movement.

Crouch becomes useless for stealth.

Spartan charging abusers will have no worry about unsuspecting foes. Will occur more often imo. Like id abuse the hell out of it. No ninjas on me Thnx.

Ppl will pull ground pounds and assassinations a lot more and much easier. Id ground pound a lot more too. Theyll all fall like furious demise :p

I feel like i already said this before a couple weeks back. Idk.

Anyway yall excitrd for hod wild this week!!?!?!?

while im in mexico unable to play.

Are you that good or was he that bad?

Nice job crouching to get off radar by the way. Probably helped throw off his aim. Still, I really don't think that sidestep is successful even 50% of the time... a halfway decent player would have landed that SC. It has really strong magnetism. He must have been significantly off.
My point is that I don't think SC needs to be removed, otherwise we may see sprint -> melee make a return, and that's worse than SC. Every complaint I've seen from SC just calls for its removal, but never do I see people discussing how to change it.

I don't necessarily think it needs to be changed, but that's a far more interesting discussion to have than wanting it removed because lesser skilled players think it's broken. Halo fans need to be careful what they complain about, otherwise we may end up with an "overbalanced" Halo 6 just like the Halo 3 BR.
Everyone Will be able to camp areas easier since your not constricted to crouch movement.
Camping is way more effective with radar. Stahp the madness.

Trup1aya

My point is that I don't think SC needs to be removed, otherwise we may see sprint -> melee make a return, and that's worse than SC. Every complaint I've seen from SC just calls for its removal, but never do I see people discussing how to change it.

I don't necessarily think it needs to be changed, but that's a far more interesting discussion to have than wanting it removed because lesser skilled players think it's broken. Halo fans need to be careful what they complain about, otherwise we may end up with an "overbalanced" Halo 6 just like the Halo 3 BR.

I don't think SC needs to be removed. but if radar is gonna be in, then I'd like to see a way to counter it head on, to reward players who have guns ready.

We were talking changes to SC a page back...

oh wait. hog Wild reqs are this week? Or is G0SU being G0SU?

End of the month. Has to come this last week or there will be heads!!!

Its a double edge sword yeah? With radar its easier to see foes coming around the corner but your movement is restricted to crouch or to a stationary spot.

Without radar you dont know which way they are coming but you can move all up in that bitch without any repercussions. You could literally just switchback and constantly have a ground pound ready for anyone coming around the corner. No need for a power weapon now.

Either way its a problem but the lesser evil is having tracking on now :p

And i do want to see pros play without motion tracker, id be a nice bit of info to soak in on how they change their style.of play. I love halo.

I don't think SC needs to be removed. but if radar is gonna be in, then I'd like to see a way to counter it head on, to reward players who have guns ready.

We were talking changes to SC a page back...
The only people making suggestions were Fuchs, Karl and Wahrer, and I never see them complaining about SC. Generally speaking, those who complain just want it removed without bringing up suggestions for changing it.

That being said, they could probably make the time to shoot take a little longer after Spartan Charging, but even then I don't know. It's a tricky spot for 343 to be in because while it may be a nonissue in the grand scheme of things, they should still probably address the concerns that people are having with it. Whether that's through clever PR or making changes to how it functions is anyone's guess, but I hope it isn't removed.

As for radar vs no radar, I think we should more focus on radar as we have it vs radar that's sprint/shooting-based. I don't think we'll ever have a no radar Halo, at least not any time soon lol.

Karl2177

The only people making suggestions were Fuchs, Karl and Wahrer, and I never see them complaining about SC. Generally speaking, those who complain just want it removed without bringing up suggestions for changing it.

That being said, they could probably make the time to shoot take a little longer after Spartan Charging, but even then I don't know. It's a tricky spot for 343 to be in because while it may be a nonissue in the grand scheme of things, they should still probably address the concerns that people are having with it. Whether that's through clever PR or making changes to how it functions is anyone's guess, but I hope it isn't removed.

As for radar vs no radar, I think we should more focus on radar as we have it vs radar that's sprint/shooting-based. I don't think we'll ever have a no radar Halo, at least not any time soon lol.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or it's just a sign that I don't post a lot anymore, but Spartan Charge is up there on my list of grievances with the game.

Trup1aya

Agreed, but I don't think they need to remove Spartan charge, just allow for a counter... If I approach a corner cautiously, with gun at the ready and someone else comes sprinting aimlessly, I shouldn't be at the disadvantage.

It's annoying because it rewards sprinting into action when really, the person with his gun up should be at the advantage. I think that if a person performs a normal melee to someone Spartan charging, the effects should be reversed in favor of the person who wasn't sprinting.

Remove stun, change base melees to 75-80% shields, make SC deplete shields entirely. Print me money.

Make it more easily dodgeable, currently either side-thrust or back thrust works but the timing is pretty small and any amount of lag would make it almost impossible.

The problem with Spartan charge is that it's insanely easy to hit, there is a massive amount of aim assist on it, same with standard melees.

They need to make it so you actually have to be fairly accurate with a Spartan charge, then I'd be okay with it.

It think it would work much better than the sword clashes, because folks immediately revert to using guns after the stun animations.

if someone properly timed a melee, they should be rewarded with instant recovery time. If not, then let the SCer recover first...

Also, I think they should remove 'magnetism' from SC completely. If the person can't keep the reticle directly on the target, they should whiff

One adjustment I was thinking about would be to make players way more vulnerable to backsmacks during the Spartan Charge animation - as is it's like a 90-degree radius or so where a melee attack will be an instakill, but you could up that to like 180 (or even 270) during the lunge / strike so people who sidestep in time could make quick work of them.

Literally everyone in the discussion was suggesting changes... Even those who initially said it should be taken out completely.

In the grand scheme of things, it's probably not a big issue. I wonder how many kills can be atributed to SC over other methods. But we all want the best Halo possible. SC currently is probably like radar in that it encourages bad halo behavior at lower skill levels, is an annoyance at other levels, and is a skill-less mechanic.

SmartWaffles and jem didn't provide specific changes, although you can assume jem is suggesting to lessen the width of the SC, but I'll concede on that point anyway as it was rather moot. I just don't want to see it removed because some of the loudest voices are simply shouting "broken, pls remove" when there are so many instances showing it's not as bad as it's perceived to be. Where are all the gifs and videos showing how broken it is? I'm curious to see those if anyone has 'em.

As far as them being skill-less mechanics, I think radar actually does take some skill to be good with. Mind games don't come naturally for everyone, and for lesser skilled players, radar is another thing they have to manage other than paying attention to their teammates and surroundings.
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or it's just a sign that I don't post a lot anymore, but Spartan Charge is up there on my list of grievances with the game.
Didn't know that, but you're probably just better at not repeating yourself more than others, like me for instance ;]

Nowise10

Nice, Warzone, out in the open, with that 40m radar...

Perfectly comparable to the arena experience...

Seriously, I feel like some of you people have never played the game. Arena SC feels like uttered crap that just rewards randies from sprinting around corners/hallways. Takes less then a second to get terminal velocity to charge. It's magnetism also feels very wonky, and I feel like their is sometimes 5+ feet between us and I'll get the charge hit/someone will hit me.

Trup1aya

SmartWaffles and jem didn't provide specific changes, although you can assume jem is suggesting to lessen the width of the SC, but I'll concede on that point anyway as it was rather moot. I just don't want to see it removed because some of the loudest voices are simply shouting "broken, pls remove" when there are so many instances showing it's not as bad as it's perceived to be. Where are all the gifs and videos showing how broken it is? I'm curious to see those if anyone has 'em.

As far as them being skill-less mechanics, I think radar actually does take some skill to be good with. Mind games don't come naturally for everyone, and for lesser skilled players, radar is another thing they have to manage other than paying attention to their teammates and surroundings.

Didn't know that, but you're probably just better at not repeating yourself more than others, like me for instance ;]

Well, yeah, I think skilled players will find way to manipulate either mechanic. With radar you have ghost jumping, radar assisted ninjas, diversions, etc. and with Spartan Charge you see pros use it to make jumps, saving thrusters for a later use. Skilled players will make an advantage out of everything

That said, in their current states, they also reward bad behaviors, a slow down the learning process. Compared to mechanics like crouch/stabilize jumping, and GP, the learning curve for radar and SC is negligable.

That said I think having (at most) Spartan ability only radar would increase general awareness, and having a better balanced SC would improve the game dramatically. I'm all for changing them rather than removing them outright.

Strange season, I placed Plat four or five (don’t really remember,) went all the way to Diamond six then all the way back to Diamond one and now I’m at Diamond five.

I have been ghost jumping and crouching a lot lately though. You just have to embrace the crouch to ascend to greatness!

Argument against #NoMotionTracker: we wouldn't get things like this

I think the ninja is supposed to be the highlight here (and it was impressive)

But the splinter nade obliteration you witnessed from the death screen is what really got my attention.

i had a bizarre triple splinter grenade death clip but i can't find it so here's this from the same game

bonus clip

FAKE EDIT: actually the pulse ohbabyatriple is at the end of the clip i just didn't watch it the whole way through

Matchmaking sure is funny though. Just earlier last week I was complaining about my losing streak. This season I got to around a 53% w/l in slayer and after that is when I went on a ridiculous losing streak all the way to 45%. Now, surprise surprise I go on a long ass winning streak and I’m now I’m exactly at 50% w/l this season. At least I know I’m not crazy and I know this system tries to force 50%. However, I can’t say I’m too fond of the way it does it.

TjbXpIn.png

I only bought Overwatch cause the Tracer is hot. best $60 of my life.

Not sure what people meant by the game being hard on PC with a controller. I'm doing really well :D

IHaveIce

Banned
Funknown if your really think NoMotionTracker in H5 is better than modified motiontracker your time of being right is over and you are just a old man yelling at clouds.

Playing competive 4s in Halo 5 shows this. No Radar paired with Sprint and Thrust just promotes hyperaggressive playing and not making strats, since you are so damn fast.

Top Pros already explained that.

This fucking game. Busted, buggy and still never reaching a consistent product/service. 4 days of profile errors, dedis errors, no reqs loading in full WZ games, no points loading, no boosts loading, post carnage errors, emblems not loading. Fuck this I'm going to buy Doom and Overwatch tonight. 2 nights a week this thing works, all others it's a mess on and off.

Tell me how in the fuck games can load and match and all this other shite goes on. Literally no other game does this, oops MCC does!

Get me some direct tech support or fuck off Halo. Forever.

Edit: oh look here's a list of what works perfectly fine on my Xbox/connection directly after quitting a fucked session of Halo 5:

1. Destiny tower and playing a daily heroic mission
2. Netflix streaming of Arrested Development
3. Buying Doom
4. Edge browsing Halo Waypoint, logged in
5. YouTube music video
6. Playing Killer Instinct

Top Bottom