• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

After the Arena Summer Preview period ends and gametypes are locked in for Pro League, is the playlist going back to how it was before.... with Torque, Overgrowth, and Riptide included?
I haven't played in the summer preview playlist much, not enough to rank anyway. It's missing those 3 maps??? Where dafuq are all the forge maps? These playlists are dying for some new maps...

Reading Tom French's twitter makes me sad.

Sounds like they have so many great ideas, but not enough resources/staff or tech-spertise between the 2/3 man team to implement them properly.

Also, I know jack-all about coding and engines, but I get the distinct impression that the H5 engine's a total mess under-the-hood. You'd think given how H5 is designed to be service-like, it'd be modular and with all of the hooks. Mr. French makes it sounds like it's painfully rigid and inflexible (edit: maybe that's just the Forge proponent of the engine though?). Perhaps that's partly why Warzone bases are copy-paste - not to save on a few days of asset creation, but because the code's royally 'ucked.

Sounds like they have so many great ideas, but not enough resources/staff or tech-spertise between the 2/3 man team to implement them properly.

Also, I know jack-all about coding and engines, but I get the distinct impression that the H5 engine's a total mess under-the-hood. You'd think given how H5 is designed to be service-like, it'd be modular and with all of the hooks. Mr. French makes it sounds like it's painfully rigid and inflexible (edit: maybe that's just the Forge proponent of the engine though?). Perhaps that's partly why Warzone bases are copy-paste - not to save on a few days of asset creation, but because the code's royally 'ucked.

I thought they said the engine was very flexible.
I think that has to do with the few people that are still working on Halo 5. It's really a SMALL team. Really small.

Karl2177

I get the opposite reaction. It sounds like they improved a bunch of aspects of the engine to allow more modular developments. Back in Reach, you couldn't add armor. Now they can add Forge blocks, armor, weapons, gametypes, and even campaign adjustments. I'm guessing there's an internal cap that they implemented themselves to prevent data streaming from taking too long. At this point, I'd also guess that there's only 30-40 people working on sustain. All hands on deck for Halo Wars 2 internal testing and Halo 6 development.

Strider

Team Arena will only include Pro League gametypes once they are finalized... Which is a good thing IMO.

The big drawback to this is that if you like objective gametypes you're gonna be lacking some variety for sure.

I'd love a social playlist that included all the maps and gametypes to make up for it :( Id even try wacky stuff like fathom strongholds or some shit lol throw it all in there

Had to get 15 kills before the game would level me to 5... I always get put on the shittiest warzone teams. And fuck vehicles, especially banshees. Cheapest vehicles in the game.

Trup1aya

I get the opposite impression actually. It seems to me that the continued improvements to Forge indicate a rather flexible engine... It just sounds like they had to do a ton of ground work to get it that way.

Still, being a developer is hard work no matter how good the engine is.

That's said, I wish 343i would do more to help highlight how awesome forge is. French's small team are the unsung heroes of this game.

I get the opposite reaction. It sounds like they improved a bunch of aspects of the engine to allow more modular developments. Back in Reach, you couldn't add armor. Now they can add Forge blocks, armor, weapons, gametypes, and even campaign adjustments. I'm guessing there's an internal cap that they implemented themselves to prevent data streaming from taking too long. At this point, I'd also guess that there's only 30-40 people working on sustain. All hands on deck for Halo Wars 2 internal testing and Halo 6 development.

It's around that or even more small.
That's why they copy bases and only release a few arena maps. It's not the engine. They just don't have the man power to do more.

Akai__

Had to get 15 kills before the game would level me to 5... I always get put on the shittiest warzone teams. And fuck vehicles, especially banshees. Cheapest vehicles in the game.

Banshees. Are. Awesome.

Only annoyance is the overall agressive flip move, but if you have only 2 people shooting a Banshee, it will be down in no time.

Now they can add Forge blocks, armor, weapons, gametypes, and even campaign adjustments.

Agree with everything except Gametypes. In that Infection article from Gameinformer, they said that they can't easily port Gametypes over from older games, because of how the current engine works. I mean, it really shows. We still don't have 1 sided Objectives and other Gametypes took 4 and 7 months to be back in the game respectively.

Here is the quote in question:

Game Informer: Considering its popularity, why hasn’t Infection been there from the start?

Landskov: We had so many game modes we wanted to get out [at launch] and we did have a lot of changes we made for this engine that stopped us from being able to directly be able to port game variants over.

im just hoping whatever they did with the engine isnt gonna have to be REDONE with H6.

Another halo launching with no gametypes is no me gusta

jem0208

im just hoping whatever they did with the engine isnt gonna have to be REDONE with H6.

Another halo launching with no gametypes is no me gusta

I think (and hope) that H6 is going to be a very iterative sequel. They've got a gameplay formula which works very well, now all they need to do is add content and polish it up a bit (read: remove Spartan charge).

Karl2177

Banshees. Are. Awesome.

Only annoyance is the overall agressive flip move, but if you have only 2 people shooting a Banshee, it will be down in no time.

Agree with everything except Gametypes. In that Infection article from Gameinformer, they said that they can't easily port Gametypes over from older games, because of how the current engine works. I mean, it really shows. We still don't have 1 sided Objectives and other Gametypes took 4 and 7 months to be back in the game respectively.

Here is the quote in question:
I'm just saying they can add base modes to the game. Reach megalo gametypes were all variations of a base gametype. With Halo 5 they can actually add Infection as a base mode.

I think (and hope) that H6 is going to be a very iterative sequel. They've got a gameplay formula which works very well, now all they need to do is add content and polish it up a bit (read: remove Spartan charge).

Agree.

Also, they have to redo all the gametypes.
That doesn't mean the Engine isn't flexible at all. Only means it has no compatibility with the older engine.

Akai__

I think (and hope) that H6 is going to be a very iterative sequel. They've got a gameplay formula which works very well, note all they need to do is add comment and polish it up a bit (read: remove Spartan charge).

The Halo community is pretty funny.

Prior to Halo 5 release: "You can't just make the same game over and over again. It will not work."

After Halo 5 release: "They should keep Halo 6 the same as Halo 5. It will work!"

I noticed this a lot recently and I kinda agree with it. "Don't fix things that aren't broken.", but you guys know this probably won't be the reality. Brace yourself for possibly more abilities.

I'm just saying they can add base modes to the game. Reach megalo gametypes were all variations of a base gametype. With Halo 5 they can actually add Infection as a base mode.

I see. Yeah, I don't know how it previously worked and if Bungie could have added completely new base modes.

Trup1aya

Agreed, but I don't think they need to remove Spartan charge, just allow for a counter... If I approach a corner cautiously, with gun at the ready and someone else comes sprinting aimlessly, I shouldn't be at the disadvantage.

The Halo community is pretty funny.

Prior to Halo 5 release: "You can't just make the same game over and over again. It will not work."

After Halo 5 release: "They should keep Halo 6 the same as Halo 5. It will work!"

I noticed this a lot recently and I kinda agree with it. "Don't fix things that aren't broken.", but you guys know this probably won't be the reality. Brace yourself for possibly more abilities.

Obviously they'll make some changes... Just like every halo game before it. But there doesn't seem to be a need to completely alter the gameplay (halo 4) or completely reengineer the engine (halo 5).

Halo6 should be 343i's opportunity to build on what's already there instead of starting from scratch... Again.

Agreed, but I don't think they need to remove Spartan charge, just allow for a counter... If I approach a corner cautiously, with gun at the ready and someone else comes sprinting aimlessly, I shouldn't be at the disadvantage.

Obviously they'll make some changes... Just like every halo game before it. But there doesn't seem to be a need to completely alter the gameplay (halo 4) or completely reengineer the engine (halo 5).

Halo6 should be 343i's opportunity to build on what's already there instead of starting from scratch... Again.

Yep foundation has been poured, with firefight and race the walls will be almost finished. Then you gotta add a roof and make it all look purty.

Akai__

You don't need to tell me. I love how Halo 5 plays, because the map and gameplay designs are mostly on point. I'd not love drastic changes again, like we had from 3 -> Reach -> 4.

And completely agree on the 2nd part. Hope they can do that, because that would probably save them a coupple ressources, which they could use elsewhere. My favourite example is still the File Share/Browser, which they are working on for the 3rd time now.

Unlocked spnkr prime this morning. oh my that is fun to run around with. I'll upload a clip later lol. Also unlocked the legendary binary rifle. Only i don't really like using the binary rifle in general. The laser sight which is visible to everyone is annoying.

Hence the shitty team comment. But I've always had a disdain for vehicles in halo dating back to Halo 3 when Bungie made them true killing machines.

I don't mind SC that much, but there are a few things at pisses me off about it. Sometimes if you get charged from the front your characters get "stunned" or something. I don't know if it's lag or what, but there is a split second you can't aim or shoot and the guy will most likely be able to kill you because of this.

The other things is the auto track on it. Again, someone charges you from the front. I wait and try to use my thrusters to dodge it. Nope, the thing has like an auto aim and you still get hit.

Other than those two issues, it really doesn't bother me.

Unlocked spnkr prime this morning. oh my that is fun to run around with. I'll upload a clip later lol. Also unlocked the legendary binary rifle. Only i don't really like using the binary rifle in general. The laser sight which is visible to everyone is annoying.

Hence the shitty team comment. But I've always had a disdain for vehicles in halo dating back to Halo 3 when Bungie made them true killing machines.

We have feelings :(

Trup1aya

I don't mind SC that much, but there are a few things at pisses me off about it. Sometimes if you get charged from the front your characters get "stunned" or something. I don't know if it's lag or what, but there is a split second you can't aim or shoot and the guy will most likely be able to kill you because of this.

The other things is the auto track on it. Again, someone charges you from the front. I wait and try to use my thrusters to dodge it. Nope, the thing has like an auto aim and you still get hit.

Other than those two issues, it really doesn't bother me.

Yeah that the knock 'back feature'If you get hit from the front, your stun is longer than the recovery for the person doing the Spartan change.

It's annoying because it rewards sprinting into action when really, the person with his gun up should be at the advantage. I think that if a person performs a normal melee to someone Spartan charging, the effects should be reversed in favor of the person who wasn't sprinting.

Fuchsdh

I've been wondering if there would be a way to make Spartan charge countering via a well-timed melee strike work—take some damage but reflect most of it back on the enemy player so they'd be at the disadvantage. It sounds good on paper but sword clashing at least never really made for engaging fights, so I dunno if it would actually work.

I've been wondering if there would be a way to make Spartan charge countering via a well-timed melee strike work—take some damage but reflect most of it back on the enemy player so they'd be at the disadvantage. It sounds good on paper but sword clashing at least never really made for engaging fights, so I dunno if it would actually work.

Make it more easily dodgeable, currently either side-thrust or back thrust works but the timing is pretty small and any amount of lag would make it almost impossible.

jem0208

The problem with Spartan charge is that it's insanely easy to hit, there is a massive amount of aim assist on it, same with standard melees.

They need to make it so you actually have to be fairly accurate with a Spartan charge, then I'd be okay with it.

Trup1aya

It think it would work much better than the sword clashes, because folks immediately revert to using guns after the stun animations.

If both players are one shot after making contact, then the survivor is the one who gets the kill shot off quickest.

if someone properly times a melee, they should be rewarded with instant recovery time. If not, then let the SCer recover first...

Also, I think they should remove 'magnetism' from SC completely. If the person can't keep the reticle directly on the target, they should whiff

Remove stun, change base melees to 75-80% shields, make SC deplete shields entirely. Print me money.

One adjustment I was thinking about would be to make players way more vulnerable to backsmacks during the Spartan Charge animation - as is it's like a 90-degree radius or so where a melee attack will be an instakill, but you could up that to like 180 (or even 270) during the lunge / strike so people who sidestep in time could make quick work of them.

link1201

It sucks to face a team like that but at least those of us in the shallow end of the pool never have to. You got some kills I'd probably wouldn't have even managed that.

I'd be down for a lone wolves playlist for sure though since I play alone 99% of the time.

Strider

I've heard stories about it, the legends. I just never thought I'd finally pull it off.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/GringoSuave89/video/17800503

Thank God for the rando that got the other guy haha

lmao

nice
goodjob.gif

pieface

343. Thank you for providing the matchmaking settings, now give us one more option...

"match against players in a party - yes or no"

You can even give me a little warning telling me matchmaking might take longer.

Thanks

TCKaos

Also Spartan Charge is fine. Why are you guys not backing up and shooting them?

It should kill in one hit from Speed Boost and from one hit with a Hammer, Sword or bayonetted weapon. Lacking the situational awareness to see a charge coming is enough of a justification for the punishment it entails.

Trup1aya

Also Spartan Charge is fine. Why are you guys not backing up and shooting them?

It should kill in one hit from Speed Boost and from one hit with a Hammer, Sword or bayonetted weapon. Lacking the situational awareness to see a charge coming is enough of a justification for the punishment it entails.

My issue with it is the behavior it encourages...

I'm generally fine with sprint being in the game, but sprinting around corners is never something that should be rewarded. With regards to backing up and shooting, that's fine works often, but network conditions make the lunge distance appear inconsistent, therefore tough to judge. There should be a network nuetral counter to it...

I don't really care about 1HKs in Warzone, so have at it I say. But Spartan Charge has currently an annoying existence in Arena.

Top Bottom