• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

IHaveIce

Banned
That feel when you personally start a game 11-0 in the first 2 minutes or something and the game starts to lagg for no reason. I got 6 kills in the rest of the match and we lost the game 47-50.

Could somebody please revert these servers back to March 2016? Thanks.

FFS this, I have an account where I am Onyx in Arena and Slayer and it is unplayable for me lagging and champions all around.

Now playing on my normal account which I use to play with my lower ranked friends and we still get the laggiest matches possible

link1201

I really hope we get some good announcements at E3 for Halo. I know Halo Wars 2 will be a focus but I really want a big announcement aside from that. I wish I could get into those kind of games but I just can't.

wwm0nkey

I really hope we get some good announcements at E3 for Halo. I know Halo Wars 2 will be a focus but I really want a big announcement aside from that. I wish I could get into those kind of games but I just can't.

Well support for 5 isn't ending after June so maybe they have something planned, Halo 5 Ultimate Edition coming to Win10/XBO July! (I wish)

I was the same way until I dove face first, bare-ass naked into Halo Wars. The game is so fun to play, and with Twitch being a thing it makes learning the game much easier. I've been watching streamers lately and I feel my build strategies improving for it.

I'm so excited for Halo Wars 2. I really, reallyyyyyyyyy hope they allow you to search for 3v3's as a party of 2 unlike the first game though. What a shame they didn't allow that.
Well support for 5 isn't ending after June so maybe they have something planned, Halo 5 Ultimate Edition coming to Win10/XBO July! (I wish)
Where did they say support won't be ending? Strictly referring to H5 on Xbox One, not the Forge on Windows 10 news.

Akai__

Don't worry. They will have something for sure. Gonna bet my avatar on it.

You know this isn't happening for PC. You were in the same Forge threads as I was. ;)

How many times does he gotta repeat himself lol.

Well, you can't expect people to know this, since literally all of the PR says otherwise. Confirming it on a Forum is like not confirming it at all to the general public.

link1201

I was the same way until I dove face first, bare-ass naked into Halo Wars. The game is so fun to play, and with Twitch being a thing it makes learning the game much easier. I've been watching streamers lately and I feel my build strategies improving for it.

I'm so excited for Halo Wars 2. I really, reallyyyyyyyyy hope they allow you to search for 3v3's as a party of 2 unlike the first game though. What a shame they didn't allow that.

Where did they say support won't be ending? Strictly referring to H5 on Xbox One, not the Forge on Windows 10 news.
I'll probably watch it being played rather than play it. I liked the story when I watched the first one on YouTube, but these games are just not my thing.

Is this supposed to be cross play too like rocket league?

The halo games i enjoy(ed) mp most in..

H5
H2 (until haxxors)
H4
H3
Hreach

For custom games though, Halo 3 was the best. It had a ton of variety in terms of maps and a lot of them just worked with smaller groups of 4 people. I did a ton of small custom games then because of that. Then they for some reason stopped doing small maps in the next installments and we also stopped playing customs.

Akai__

Best month ever. Oh, the dream...

What is going on with them? It is getting worse for me each month. Last month my total RP wouldn't start right up and now I have to wait a game or two to receive RP and daily win req cards.

FFS this, I have an account where I am Onyx in Arena and Slayer and it is unplayable for me lagging and champions all around.

Now playing on my normal account which I use to play with my lower ranked friends and we still get the laggiest matches possible

Sorry, I didn't saw the posts until now. I really don't mind when I lose, because we are outskilled. There is better people out there and I completely get that. But when I lose to teleporting bullshit, then it's just frustrating. The teleporting issue also started with the removal of region lock, but all the other issues, like "Attention! Server bla bla" and REQ issues were amplified with MoR.

Could it be that game size is to blame? The game is currently 81GB
and we are probably reaching 100GB with Firefight at this rate
, while other huge games like Witcher 3 are not even half the size.

I say this constantly, but Halo 5 is a great game, which suffers from frustrating issues. Whatever it is, they need to figure it out.

Halo 5 won a bunch of marketing/advertising awards, including some of the trailers, Hololens, and #HuntTheTruth and even the Mister Chief REQ ad got a bronze award :)

https://promaxbda.org/awards/curren...ing-awards/game-marketing-awards-2016-winners

I love/hate that there is a award called "Most effective Buzz Generating Tactic" that the Halo 5 trailer won (John-117 is dead trailer)

I initially had a problem with that trailer after playing the game, but seeing how trailers now reveal and insane amount of content that are actually in the movies or games, i kinda appreciate the fact now that it really wasn't revealing at all.

I wish the campaign was better, but i dont mind the trailers not being actual game footage anymore. I rather be surprised.

I saw Civil war, deadpool, BvS recently and none of them surprised me. The trailers ruined every single surprise to the point where i dont watch any trailers anymore.

singhr1

I initially had a problem with that trailer after playing the game, but seeing how trailers now reveal and insane amount of content that are actually in the movies or games, i kinda appreciate the fact now that it really wasn't revealing at all.

I wish the campaign was better, but i dont mind the trailers not being actual game footage anymore. I rather be surprised.

I saw Civil war, deadpool, BvS recently and none of them surprised me. The trailers ruined every single surprise to the point where i dont watch any trailers anymore.

Yup, I learned a couple of years ago I enjoy things so much more when I go in nearly blind. Like I thought interstellar was just gonna be Matthew Mcconaughey on a farm talking about going to space and knew nothing about The Martian outside of it being on Mars.

I told myself I would stop watching trailers/previews for Halo 5 but I couldn't resist

Fuchsdh

Yeah most trailers are basically telling the entire story in encapsulated form, minus the ending these days, and even as a guy who doesn't care about spoilers it feels... anticlimactic?

I'll probably watch it being played rather than play it. I liked the story when I watched the first one on YouTube, but these games are just not my thing.

Is this supposed to be cross play too like rocket league?
I'm not sure about cross play, but it'll be available on Windows 10.

Yeah most trailers are basically telling the entire story in encapsulated form, minus the ending these days, and even as a guy who doesn't care about spoilers it feels... anticlimactic?

Yup, I learned a couple of years ago I enjoy things so much more when I go in nearly blind. Like I thought interstellar was just gonna be Matthew Mcconaughey on a farm talking about going to space and knew nothing about The Martian outside of it being on Mars.

I told myself I would stop watching trailers/previews for Halo 5 but I couldn't resist

I think most people will go and see or buy whatever movie or game theyre fans of, regardless of the trailer. Like im going to go see that xmen movie one way or another so why would i ruin the experience by watching 5 different trailers of it? Thats my line of thinking now and im positive ill end up enjoying movies and games a lot more.

For games i think its more complex cause sometimes i have to watch something because i want to see what the game plays like to get a feel for it before i drop 90$ on it.

Don't worry. They will have something for sure. Gonna bet my avatar on it.

You know this isn't happening for PC. You were in the same Forge threads as I was. ;)

Well, you can't expect people to know this, since literally all of the PR says otherwise. Confirming it on a Forum is like not confirming it at all to the general public.

Well were talking about him saying it in this forum. So thats why i said how many times does he have to repeat himself. Hes been saying it since launch window.

I expect everyone who goes into a halogaf forum constantly to know it. The ones who love ht and the ones who hate it should know.

Or are my expectations of ppl reading stinkles stuff too high?

It's too bad we knew about that Sabre mission in Reach before experiencing it ourselves for the first time.

I avoided all campaign trailers for Halo 5 post E3, and avoid most trailers for movies I want to see these days. It's insane how revealing they can be.

link1201

I actually think I enjoyed the story in HtT more than I did Halo 5's campaign. I enjoyed playing it but the story was weak imo.

I hope they hire those guys/gals again that was good stuff.

It's too bad we knew about that Sabre mission in Reach before experiencing it ourselves for the first time.

I avoided all campaign trailers for Halo 5 post E3, and avoid most trailers for movies I want to see these days. It's insane how revealing they can be.

And thats not counting how many commercials you end up seeing as well. Its become absolutely insane. I thought at one point i was just too difficult, but man what do they expect when they tell me everything in the damn trailer. At one point when theres 20 minutes left and i didnt see "that fight" from the trailer yet, im gonna put 2 and 2 together. Completely ruins the experience.

Halo5 imo did it right. It was deceiving but at least i was surprised when playing the game.

Get me hyped, dont tell me everything.

Say hello to my new poster :D

3er1yXS.jpg

blamite

The thing about Reach is that it wasn't a very fun game, but it was "good" in that it felt pretty confident about being what it was, and for the most part did a really great job of doing the things it wanted to do (although those probably weren't the things a lot of (most???) players wanted it to do). On the other hand H4 which felt like it was trying too hard to be a bunch of different things and ended up not being very good at any of them, even though it could've easily been great if it had just stripped away a few layers of junk.

jem0208

The thing about Reach is that it wasn't a very fun game, but it was "good" in that it felt pretty confident about being what it was, and for the most part did a really great job of doing the things it wanted to do (although those probably weren't the things a lot of (most???) players wanted it to do). On the other hand H4 which felt like it was trying too hard to be a bunch of different things and ended up not being very good at any of them, even though it could've easily been great if it had just stripped away a few layers of junk.
H4 was genuinely decent in the MCC.

It wasn't a particularly competitive game with sprint, no descope, loadouts etc. but removing weapon drops and adding weapons on map massively improved it. There were also some fairly decent maps in that playlist. Monolith is awesome IMO.

Movie trailers are the worst.

since we're back on the topic of H5's advertising, i love how many people go "I WAS EXPECTING CHIEF VS LOCKE SPACE NOIR POLITICAL THRILLER THANKS 343BAMA" only to completely ignore, like, literally every other halo ad campaign ever

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
since we're back on the topic of H5's advertising, i love how many people go "I WAS EXPECTING CHIEF VS LOCKE SPACE NOIR POLITICAL THRILLER THANKS 343BAMA" only to completely ignore, like, literally every other halo ad campaign ever

there was the whole "finish the fight" thing. and a bit about the epic scene in the diorama for halo 3... but yeah, the outrage over halo 5's ad campaign always seemed forced and just another reason to hate on the game in addition to mcc, not bungie, M$, and xbone

there was the whole "finish the fight" thing. and a bit about the epic scene in the diorama for halo 3... but yeah, the outrage over halo 5's ad campaign always seemed forced and just another reason to hate on the game in addition to mcc, not bungie, M$, and xbone

Like, nobody expected the shocking second-act twist that revealed X was the villain all along? After Halo 1, 2, 3 and 4 pulled that shit?

Watching ATOMICJORGE destroying everything in a banshee on Twitch right now... Good stuff.

I love the "adios" with every kill too... It's the only thing I understand.

Boy you talk a lot on steam Jorge!
Keeping your audience entertained.

I won't embed the images but here is some of the recent issues:

REQs not loading in a fresh game of WZ, not the JiP known bug:
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/screenshots/d14ae21b-7c6a-4510-aba1-204706c2e706

Points not loading, emblems not loading, player card not loading, boost cards not loading:
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/screenshots/a43408c3-1673-4397-b648-c7f5924e4244

Retriving data issue in post carnage report:
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/screenshots/2f0464b1-08aa-4233-b8f9-cc8ffeb48938

Game died to a black screen, xbox/dash was fine though:
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/screenshots/6462627f-563d-4fb1-9ecc-3d50e67df773

Loading a playlist and get a dedis error:
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/screenshots/e5193722-3fd1-4261-9c77-abe67f1130dd

Also I had confirmation in game of successful uploading for several other error screenshots and they never appeared in my xboxclips, onedrive, xboxdvr e.g. profile error, lobby errors (approx. 3 times the number of errors above). I even wait more than 10 seconds before grabbing a clip or screenshot as I understand the base API call rate.

You have to be shitting me a AAA studio can continually fuck this franchise up for so long. Patience lost confirmed. You actually want me to play Halo right?

G8Niu9P.gif

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
virtually every match of warzone i've played in the last week loads with no music/effects other than the narrator during the intro. kind of annoying, but fairly minor

virtually every match of warzone i've played in the last week loads with no music/effects other than the narrator during the intro. kind of annoying, but fairly minor

Stupid question, but are you checking your volume levels? Could be something as simple as the XBL service being fucky and dialing your FX / BGM sliders down to 0.

jem0208

Do you know of anyone else who has these issues?

I personally haven't had any issues to the same extent as you and I haven't heard of anyone else either. Could it be something with your setup which doesn't play nice with H5?

There was that problem near the launch of the game which only affected people with a certain internet provider.

You know I think back over H4 dedis issues, MCC mega issues and H5 flakiness issues to arrive at the comment that 343 isn't a AAA studio. I'm curious what y'all would rate them?

Do you know of anyone else who has these issues?

I personally haven't had any issues to the same extent as you and I haven't heard of anyone else either. Could it be something with your setup which doesn't play nice with H5?

There was that problem near the launch of the game which only affected people with a certain internet provider.

Yep, anyone in our Halo group, we've all had plenty of flakiness and a wide array of issues. My friends just moved to other games, we try party nights and things just fall apart so it's weeks before I can get them back. Just look at the last 3 pages here at Halo 5 OT and you can see 3 people with the same issues, another Aussie with Waffles. I've offered to give 343 a list of gamertags from our parties and links to my solo games as well, no response. In my Waypoint thread below 11 others show the same issues. Read the Waypoint H5 and H5 support threads as well as Reddit, there is a ton of people from EU and non-USA regions complaining, and they've been complaining for months now particularly.

This was literally one page back:
Supposedly the game is also crashing for people now to according to r/halo post.
https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/4ksujt/since_the_latest_update_ive_been_having_crashes/
I have been noticing halo 5 crashing randomly to the dashboard also to after opening a few req packs, but I have yet to experience any crashes while in a match.

Also try checking here for just how incorrect that statement is:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...oo/dd4134ee-f308-41cb-baa2-baea494847ac/posts

Have a look at just the first page of the H5 support thread at Waypoint: all posted today within hours of each other, dozens reporting the same issues as me:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/e0d9938206f04a598ce84f2c8cadce02/topics

TL;DR - multiple connection types e.g. different line tech and ISPs (cable vs adsl), I've reinstalled the game, updated the game...just have a read of my thread at Waypoint. 3 weeks and not one support reply in their official forums, 2 calls to XBL support, an article from KotakuAU, consistent updates from me in GAF & Waypoint, no PMs, no phone calls, no emails...fucking garbage support and no where near a AAA studio. I'm fucking ready for a PS4 at this point.

But seriously, who the hell thought Locke was really going to fight Chief anyway, and actually stand a chance?? Who even wanted that?

That never made sense in the first place, so it's comical how people expected some grand conflict between the two. I think it was more Halo 5's story being so unliked that it made the marketing that much worse. If we received a compelling story of Chief and Blue Team instead of fluffing it up with Fireteam Osiris, things would have turned out differently. I just don't understand why they felt the need to shove this new team on us when they could have focused on what people really wanted to see. A lot of us were saying it before launch, how they had so much to cover that 343's chances of explaining it all was very slim.

But seriously, who the hell thought Locke was really going to fight Chief anyway, and actually stand a chance?? Who even wanted that?

That never made sense in the first place, so it's comical how people expected some grand conflict between the two. I think it was more Halo 5's story being so unliked that it made the marketing that much worse. If we received a compelling story of Chief and Blue Team instead of fluffing it up with Fireteam Osiris, things would have turned out differently. I just don't understand why they felt the need to shove this new team on us when they could have focused on what people really wanted to see. A lot of us were saying it before launch, how they had so much to cover that 343's chances of explaining it all was very slim.

I came out of it wanting to see more Osiris than Blue Team, tbh. Blue Team's story has already been told like 6 times over.

Myexwife was just in kampys game... Diamond up against onyx/champions in FFA :)

I think I did alright. First game of the day after a long day at work. Game says "FUCK YOU YOU DON'T GET TO WARM UP HERE PLAY KAMPY AND CO!"

My MMR is crazy high, but the dumbass game keeps putting me in diamond (or lower) after placements where I play and do well (a couple wins even) against only onyx and champs. Been like this every month since they did the rank reshuffling bullshit.

singhr1

Oh, my Halo: Escalation Library Edition just came today. Extremely nice, especially since I got it for $30.

Word? Still $32 on Amazon... Hmm. I think I may just save my money for Mythos and the Fractures short story collection. Never had too much desire for the comics

Wow, just realized both of those are coming out in September!

I came out of it wanting to see more Osiris than Blue Team, tbh. Blue Team's story has already been told like 6 times over.

I am interested in what happens to Osiris now. With Chief and Locke "on the same side" is Locke still going to be a playable character? Will they bring back the team aspect of Halo 5 or return to the solo/duo aspect of Halo 4/3 respectively? Chief and Locke, bros to the close.

Halo 6 twist:
You play as Roland. AI vs AI

Akai__

Guy betrays me 3 times in a BTB match. I kicked him and he wants a 1vs1 for whatever reaspn. He starts MLG Truth v7 or some shit with BR starts and the 1st thing he does is picking up Camo in a 1vs1. I defeat him and now enjoy his salty tears.

Sore losers everywhere. lol

Edit: OMG his highest skill is from Social Rumble Rockets. Champion #45. Social indeed.

jem0208

You know I think back over H4 dedis issues, MCC mega issues and H5 flakiness issues to arrive at the comment that 343 isn't a AAA studio. I'm curious what y'all would rate them?

Yep, anyone in our Halo group, we've all had plenty of flakiness and a wide array of issues. My friends just moved to other games, we try party nights and things just fall apart so it's weeks before I can get them back. Just look at the last 3 pages here at Halo 5 OT and you can see 3 people with the same issues, another Aussie with Waffles. I've offered to give 343 a list of gamertags from our parties and links to my solo games as well, no response. In my Waypoint thread below 11 others show the same issues. Read the Waypoint H5 and H5 support threads as well as Reddit, there is a ton of people from EU and non-USA regions complaining, and they've been complaining for months now particularly.

Also try checking here for just how incorrect that statement is:
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...oo/dd4134ee-f308-41cb-baa2-baea494847ac/posts

TL;DR - multiple connection types e.g. different line tech and ISPs (cable vs adsl), I've reinstalled the game, updated the game...just have a read of my thread at Waypoint. 3 weeks and not one support reply in their official forums, 2 calls to XBL support, an article from KotakuAU, consistent updates from me in GAF & Waypoint, no PMs, no phone calls, no emails...fucking garbage support and no where near a AAA studio. I'm fucking ready for a PS4 at this point.

Does it affect everyone you've talked to in Australia?

There must be some similarity which connects the people with issues considering the consistency and lack of major issues for other people.

If it affects pretty much everyone in that region and barely anyone else I wouldn't be surprised if the problem is that MS's azure servers in Australia just suck ass.

I think I did alright. First game of the day after a long day at work. Game says "FUCK YOU YOU DON'T GET TO WARM UP HERE PLAY KAMPY AND CO!"

My MMR is crazy high, but the dumbass game keeps putting me in diamond (or lower) after placements where I play and do well (a couple wins even) against only onyx and champs. Been like this every month since they did the rank reshuffling bullshit.

I'd be very happy with that effort mate, but I'm a scrub.
Well done :)

Top Bottom