• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

This may be weird, but does anyone else find the Prometheans less fun to fight because they feel less 'alive'. I really dig the full personality of the covenant, and they have lots of cool quirks that play out in the battlefield. Even with the added Promethean Solider chatter they just kinda feel like robot enemies.

This is just something that's been bugging me. It sounds a little silly and superficial, but I just don't really enjoy Promethean encounters that much.

I think it's in part because there hasn't been much of a push to try and humanize the Prometheans, even though some of them are quite literally running on human souls. There doesn't feel like there's as much agency because they're viewed as autonomous hiveminds, where even the Flood typically have some agency to their combat because:
1. you can clearly see what went into creating them (other living things), and
2. they actually have some personality, even if it's just gravemind taunting you using space bluetooth to talk through his puppets or making zombie gurgles

The closest thing you have with the Prometheans are Soldiers using loud, robotic voices to let you know that they are MOVING TO THIS POSITION or, upon killing you, pondering if THIS IS HUMANITY'S BEST. They kinda improved the Knights by giving them that dopey-ass "BUH HUH HUHHHHH" laugh whenever they spot you, but even then the Promethean figurehead is still just a giant white knight who spends the entire game crying about how Chief won't treat Cortana right and attempts to stop you by staring at you and brandishing his homemade katana. People play games to escape reality, not to deal with 18-foot-tall space neckbeards.

singhr1

People who are too stupid to realise a quit hurts your MMR more than a loss.

I'm rank 142 now, but I'm a bit crap and Gold 6 in Team Arena, The amount of abuse I get from (seemingly US based people) because I'm "too shit to be that rank" is astounding.

Blocked and reported 5 people in one session last night..

On the plus side I have like 50+ Ghost and Banshee Ultras so warzone is always fun.

Do you really? What the fuck. I've received maybe two hate messages in my entire Halo 5 career which is like 6 days of playtime. I do occasionally have people on mic shit on me if I haven't played in a while and I'm rusty back when I was still in like Diamond 3/4.

I guess I'm just lucky now.

I think it's in part because there hasn't been much of a push to try and humanize the Prometheans, even though some of them are quite literally running on human souls. There doesn't feel like there's as much agency because they're viewed as autonomous hiveminds, where even the Flood typically have some agency to their combat because:
2. they actually have some personality, even if it's just gravemind taunting you using space bluetooth to talk through his puppets or making zombie gurgles

The closest thing you have with the Prometheans are Soldiers using loud, robotic voices to let you know that they are MOVING TO THIS POSITION or, upon killing you, pondering if THIS IS HUMANITY'S BEST. They kinda improved the Knights by giving them that dopey-ass "BUH HUH HUHHHHH" laugh whenever they spot you, but even then the Promethean figurehead is still just a giant white knight who spends the entire game crying about how Chief won't treat Cortana right and attempts to stop you by staring at you and brandishing his homemade katana. People play games to escape reality, not to deal with 18-foot-tall space neckbeards.

I think it's still fucked up to let promethean soldiers teleport. Like if I corner an enemy, they should not get a "get out of jail free" card. Chasing an invulnerable target is still not fun or good design.

Also, the soldiers have a boring design. Yeah, they run on human souls but man...

Yeah not sure what happened last night but after a good win streak we couldn't get the fireteam back together in the lobby. Shame too we were beating diamonds and onyxs until it a crapped out on us.

And in regards to people sending hate messages that's why I try to send a GG message on occasions where someone plays really well against me. Although it's normally after an FFA where I had more than a couple chances to square off against someone.

Ade

Do you really? What the fuck. I've received maybe two hate messages in my entire Halo 5 career which is like 6 days of playtime. I do occasionally have people on mic shit on me if I haven't played in a while and I'm rusty back when I was still in like Diamond 3/4.

I guess I'm just lucky now.

This week has been exceptionally bad, ive been playing a lot UK daytimes for a change, so switched to expanded match making or quicker games and I'm seeing messages every 2/3 arena matches.

Mostly a few messages then party invite spam as they want to talk to me... One guy was rather insistant so I gave the mic to my cockatiel..

So, Is anyone going to lead a weekly Warzone Weekend party like how Akai did? Of course, if you have the time to do so.

I miss those... might be a good time to do it again with FireFight about to release? then again, we all wanted the Achilles armor back then, so we all were pumped to play WZ.

Fuchsdh

Also, the soldiers have a boring design. Yeah, they run on human souls but man...

The Soldiers aren't composed humans. They're just robots. Only the Knights are composed.

I think the teleportation is fine, because unlike Halo 4 it's easy to see where they went, my gripe is just that they do it constantly, with to real cool down that I can tell. Otherwise I appreciate that they are good at flanking me, forces you to change up your tactics.

Overall I think they did a good job expanding on the Prometheans in Halo 5, but the problem is we're still missing the stuff that made CE so great and neither Bungie or 343 seemed to capitalize on later—multi-faction battles. Let me decide who to pick off, who to help, who to avoid and possibly run past. CE had Covenant vs. Sentinels vs. Flood vs. you, and we've never had those kinds of encounters since then except in smaller and more limited ways (some Covenant vs. Prometheans stuff for a level or two in Halo 4 and 5.)

ultimota

So, Is anyone going to lead a weekly Warzone Weekend party like how Akai did? Of course, if you have the time to do so.

I miss those... might be a good time to do it again with FireFight about to release? then again, we all wanted the Achilles armor back then, so we all were pumped to play WZ.

that and customs nights i was never part of any and would loveeee to be :p

singhr1

The Soldiers aren't composed humans. They're just robots. Only the Knights are composed.

I think the teleportation is fine, because unlike Halo 4 it's easy to see where they went, my gripe is just that they do it constantly, with to real cool down that I can tell. Otherwise I appreciate that they are good at flanking me, forces you to change up your tactics.

Overall I think they did a good job expanding on the Prometheans in Halo 5, but the problem is we're still missing the stuff that made CE so great and neither Bungie or 343 seemed to capitalize on later—multi-faction battles. Let me decide who to pick off, who to help, who to avoid and possibly run past. CE had Covenant vs. Sentinels vs. Flood vs. you, and we've never had those kinds of encounters since then except in smaller and more limited ways (some Covenant vs. Prometheans stuff for a level or two in Halo 4 and 5.)

Oh ok.

Yeah, knowing visually where they show up helps. And its a huge improvement in Halo 5 and overall still a fun and dynamic experience of how all the different promethean enemies interact with each other and the player.

Every Halo game I hope the devs do something crazy in terms of enemy type or weapons. Like the reason the flood were interesting to me over brutes was that they werent just another humanoid (even though they are made of humans, they don't act with logic). Warzone seems to be the place where we are finally seeimg a team dig into the possibilties. Yeah, give me a weapon that shoots mini black holes, yeah give me a tank that shoots a beam of electricity, yeah give me a hog that shoots needles, and now give me a grunt driving a mech that stomps after jumping 200ft in the air.

Id really love a class of prometheans that are basically 100% melee based and require the player to dodge slashes and stabs. Like give them a Warden sword but not the laser beam and black hole. Let them run and charge the player but give the player the ability to thrust away with proper timing.

Or give elites a mech that wields a giant energy sword so its actually just Gundams in Halo :p

Fuchsdh

Oh ok.

Yeah, knowing visually where they show up helps. And its a huge improvement in Halo 5 and overall still a fun and dynamic experience of how all the different promethean enemies interact with each other and the player.

Every Halo game I hope the devs do something crazy in terms of enemy type or weapons. Like the reason the flood were interesting to me over brutes was that they werent just another humanoid (even though they are made of humans, they don't act with logic). Warzone seems to be the place where we are finally seeimg a team dig into the possibilties. Yeah, give me a weapon that shoots mini black holes, yeah give me a tank that shoots a beam of electricity, yeah give me a hog that shoots needles, and now give me a grunt driving a mech that stomps after jumping 200ft in the air.

Id really love a class of prometheans that are basically 100% melee based and require the player to dodge slashes and stabs. Like give them a Warden sword but not the laser beam and black hole. Let them run and charge the player but give the player the ability to thrust away with proper timing.

Or give elites a mech that wields a giant energy sword so its actually just Gundams in Halo :p

The problem with going crazy with the base weapons is that players don't understand and don't use them. Halo 4 created pretty analogous Promethean weapons with secondary characteristics and people still didn't pick them up, even with the Light Rifle having the fastest TTK. So it seems like the sandbox is stuck in this weird world where you make the weapons too samey—what's the point of having them, make them wacky and weird—either people don't use them or they create a weird imbalanced sandbox for campaign.

I think with Halo 5 and the REQ weapons in campaign they're trying to blur the line a bit and bring some of that more varied sandbox options without disrupting the balance, which is nice.

I still want my pocket shotgun back with the Boltshot. Blowing up Knight's faces with it in Halo 4 was one of my campaign highlights, and it fit the Forerunner aesthetic established with earlier media a lot better; doesn't look like much but does serious damage.

There is only one problem with prometheans, but no one has mentioned it:

Lack of feedback

My main problem fighting the soldiers and the larger crawlers is that there is no weapon feedback when you shoot them (aside from the hitmarkers).

When you shoot grunts there's some green/purple blood and smoke effects, and they stagger.

When you shoot elites, their shields flash with every hit, and it still feels like you're doing damage despite them not staggering at all.

But with the soldiers and large crawlers, you shoot them and they're literally just moving and behaving as if nothing is happening. It's only when you pop open their orange glowie thingies that they stat to flash when you shoot them.

It just feels unsatisfying.

Glass

There is only one problem with prometheans, but no one has mentioned it:

Lack of feedback

Heck yes. Nail on the head.

Ive considered going into theatre and recording a clip of a soldier being shot, to get across how damn static it feels. There's no feedback.

Same with the Covenant, the feedback in CE feels way better because you can see the damage you're doing. I hope its down to being one of the 60fps sacrifices.

Warzone Firefight is coming on June 29!
Halo-5-Guardians-Warzone-Firefight-REQ-Sheet-e1466698284624.jpg

Megaton

To celebrate the release of Warzone Firefight next week, the full game of Halo 5: Guardians will be available to download and play FOR FREE to all Xbox Live Gold members from June 29 to July 5 as part of Xbox Live’s “Free Play Days” program. Additionally, Halo 5: Guardians will be on sale for 50 percent off during this same time. There’s no better time to join the Spartan ranks!
Read more at http://news.xbox.com/2016/06/23/war...halo-5-guardians-june-29/#sHTUiLQmSUyXtW08.99

jem0208

Biggest thing that stuck out to me in that article:

To celebrate the release of Warzone Firefight next week, the full game of Halo 5: Guardians will be available to download and play FOR FREE to all Xbox Live Gold members from June 29 to July 5 as part of Xbox Live’s “Free Play Days” program. Additionally, Halo 5: Guardians will be on sale for 50 percent off during this same time. There’s no better time to join the Spartan ranks!
Read more at http://news.xbox.com/2016/06/23/war...halo-5-guardians-june-29/#2jVc5mHJXX9T4dCd.99

Dammit gosu.

The new program is also interesting. I imagine more games in the future will have "free to play" weekends or time-frames.

What an exciting time lol

Looks like I'll be playing Halo again starting next wednesday.

I'd better be let back into the SC, I'm gonna be racking up them sweet, sweet kills.

They should have put Zanzibar on Tidal. It'd be cool if all future forge templates had a classic map on it, as long as there was room to forge. Instead of one big forge world they could do a few templates, each would contain a classic map skeleton + new structures to go with it.

I kind of wish along with the new Score Attack mode, they would put in a Campaign Remix mode that would add in a lot of the new weapons and vehicles and enemy bosses and variants to the campaign so it would be a nice fresh way to play campaign again. This mode would also let you play as your own Spartan. (They can just still leave in the voice acting of the characters as a conceit.)

So with halo being free for a week or so when the update drops should they extend the time of this season or something? I mean people who aren't used to the concept will get pretty mad when all their ranks reset and will probably make them quit or something. I know it's a extreme but it's definitely a possibility. They are really going to have to try to keep the people playing cause it's free playing so they might buy the game or at least don't give it up after a couple of days.

Madness

Would love that.

I am really looking forward to checking this map out:
Halo-5-Guardians-Warzone-Attack-on-Sanctum-Overview.jpg

I really hope with the power of Scorpio they can move away from their lighting style. I HATE it. Never liked it since H4. The permeating yellow tint, heavy use of fog, browns etc. Hard to explain what I mean.

Fuchsdh

I really hope with the power of Scorpio they can move away from their lighting style. I HATE it. Never liked it since H4. The permeating yellow tint, heavy use of fog, browns etc. Hard to explain what I mean.

It's not an engine limitation. They want it to look that way.

GreyWind

That's up to the artists. Don't see why it should be a limitation.

And regarding the screenshot, it looks amazing, minus the lighting.

This new update keeps looking better and better and I'm having my fingers crossed for at the end of the stream a sneak peak. Wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't one but just hope content support doesn't end for this game after this huge update.

Ohh, the new maps look pretty great from the pics!

Have they shown off more of the new Forge canvas, or Molten?

I would love for 343 to bring back grunt and elite chatter from halo 1 and 2. Give the prometheans a voice too. Its entertaining and does add to the immersion. Load all of them up with literally hundreds of one liners along with return banter.
+
I agree, hoping maybe some changes might be done to them with the next halo with the story and all. Though anything to set them apart would be nice, they are difficult to fight but not very fun. Though I will say their weapons are some of my favorite design wise and the smart scope looks great.

Hoping to get a lot more of a athuortity personality out of them in the next game more so than in 5 while in four they were animalistic. Would of been cooler if they were more animalistic but now it's a little late for that to happen.
+
They've always been a bit lifeless as they don't have the personality even the flood had somewhat more a personality than them.
+

Glad I'm not alone in thinking this.. it gives me hope it may be rectified going into the future.

Top Bottom