• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT4| You picked a helluva week to join up

To me, the later rounds feel more like classic firefight. Anmo is scarce, enemies are tough, deaths are detrimental. Scavenging is a must, I rarely run back to req stations. If it weren't for the crappy spawns and the occasional poorly designed encounters, I'd prefer it over ODST's Firefight.
I actually do prefer it being a timed mode rather that a grouped pool of lives. And the action is good.

But ammo scarcity isn't a plus imho. Power weapons already have very limited ammo with no resupply so no matter what you have to make every shot count. Loadout weapons though should have a lot more ammo by default, or even full on unlimited ammo, considering the enemy toughness, numbers and scale of the levels.

But will try to scavenge more in my next games and see how well I can manage.

IHaveIce

Banned
for some reason I don't like firefight so far :( Given I only played solo so far because there were always friends at mine. But it is not what I hoped for, some rounds are just batshit difficult

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
now that the groundwork is there it would be really cool if we got some firefight alternate playlists from time to time. i'd love a more traditional variant with limited lives, scaled back enemies (ie no sponges), and no reqs but with some vehicles and weapons available on the map.

I kind of wish we had two hoppers, one that is slightly more forgiving than the current firefight (Less instant kill stuff) and then the current one (And maybe have lives?). I wouldn't even mind getting less req points/rewards.

I just want to be able to spawn in with a cool req I've been saving and not get instantly destroyed (Or use it on a bullet spongy enemy in a waste....)

I'm not a fan of the REQ system anyway though, I hate one time use things in anything.

Edit: I did run into some weird ass audio bugs. Most of the time I can only hear Palmer giving her intro on match start - no music or other effects until players are on the ground running.

The weirdest bug/glitch/whatever is when I can hear audio that seems like its from players talking in other matches, or even announcers live-streaming play by plays, even after muting all players. Don't know what the hell is going on there but it happens strangely often.
I run into the same audio issues refularly. And the way I've found to mute other players is to make a chat party and sit in it by yourself. Can't stand listening to open mics with random noises happening the whole game. Its super distracting.

Madness

Fix your shit 343. Last round of this warzone firefight is 2 Knight Champions that don't move and two Warden Eternal and like 300 Knights. We actually kill them all before the time runs out. We kill the final far away knight right as the clock runs out and yet it only counts as march over 4/5 rounds loss. Fuck. Makes me not want to play anymore.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
50% of the time when I try to go to REQ menu after leaving lobby the game crashes to dashboard.

Akai__

What site did you get that off of? If it's waypoint, I'd assume that it's Pacific time. If it's off rooster teeth, I'd guess central time.

Waypoint, yeah. I hate timezones and I'm not sure when this will be in Central European Time. Guess 343i will tweet about it again, so I'll probably find out.

My money would be on Central time.

I learned to not bet any money on anything that involves 343i. lol
:'(

I run into the same audio issues refularly. And the way I've found to mute other players is to make a chat party and sit in it by yourself. Can't stand listening to open mics with random noises happening the whole game. Its super distracting.
Think I'll give that party-of-one a shot next time I jump on. Thanks.

Madness

Like what were these guys thinking with some of these rounds. I got JIP'ed into a round 5 Urban firefight. Two Knight Noble champions in the back with 5 mins total round but I couldn't respawn for 25 seconds. We finally take these bullet sponges down and then they introduce two warden eternals surrounded by watchers with about 3 mins left and a shit ton of banshees and Knights. All 3 of the scorpions on ground die and we have to wait 25 seconds to respawn. Someone spawned a wraith which was bombed by like 3 banshees at spawn a warden that did the power down move. Don't think we got 10% of the health off before round finished.

Fuchsdh

I actually do prefer it being a timed mode rather that a grouped pool of lives. And the action is good.

But ammo scarcity isn't a plus imho. Power weapons already have very limited ammo with no resupply so no matter what you have to make every shot count. Loadout weapons though should have a lot more ammo by default, or even full on unlimited ammo, considering the enemy toughness, numbers and scale of the levels.

But will try to scavenge more in my next games and see how well I can manage.
Do you have the expanded mag variants of the loadout weapons? They pretty much seem expressly tailored to WZFF. I also usually run with two precision weapons by the end of the game as well for ammo, if I'm not in a vehicle.

Do you have the expanded mag variants of the loadout weapons? They pretty much seem expressly tailored to WZFF. I also usually run with two precision weapons by the end of the game as well for ammo, if I'm not in a vehicle.
My REQ collection is scarce. I've got two variants of the AR, one variant BR and a variant SMG, but no extended mags. I see there's an armor mod for extended ammo too, but I don't have any of those.

I imagine this mode appears and plays very differently for those with low REQs and those overflowing with choices. Am trying to make the best I can with loadout weapons and what I can scavenge on the field (and will redouble that effort), but with only the occasional spend of REQ on a power weapon or vehicle (maybe once, possibly twice in a match), as I'm not acquiring them as fast as I'm expending them.

There's an ammo armor mod now too. They are trying to make it really hard to run out of ammo.

First arena game in over a month and someone on my team quits within the first few minutes.

giphy.gif

They range from Commons to Legendary. "Patrol Case" is the one I'm referring to, so that is an Ultra Rare, so it would show up in Gold packs, I believe.

But you should have at least some armor mods I would think.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...quisitions/categories/loadout?ownedOnly=False
Nope, no armor mods.

Speaking of REQ items, I'm SR16 and have only acquired 1 scorpion, 1 banshee, 1 wraith and 1 mantis in total to date (and maybe 1 rare variant of each), so I kind of grimace when I read other posts and advice on how to succeed in Firefight that basically come down to using power REQs every match that I just don't have to spend.

I really want to enjoy this mode, but the REQ system really doesn't help. Maybe something similar to it that relied upon cooldowns rather than pure RNG? I don't know, but I'm still into this mode for a while yet, but it'll be mostly loadout weapons and the occasional light vehicle or more plentiful heavy weapon for now. And because I can deplete my ammo quickly, even with high accuracy, I'll need to stick near REQ terminals to resupply.

Nope, no armor mods.

Speaking of REQ items, I'm SR16 and have only acquired 1 scorpion, 1 banshee, 1 wraith and 1 mantis in total to date (and maybe 1 rare variant of each), so I kind of grimace when I read other posts and advice on how to succeed in Firefight that basically come down to using power REQs every match that I just don't have to spend.

I really want to enjoy this mode, but the REQ system really doesn't help. Maybe something similar to it that relied upon cooldowns rather than pure RNG? I don't know, but I'm still into this mode for a while yet, but it'll be mostly loadout weapons and the occasional light vehicle or more plentiful heavy weapon for now. And because I can deplete my ammo quickly, even with high accuracy, I'll need to stick near REQ terminals to resupply.

Depending on how you want to approach things, stick with bronze/silvers until you get RP refunds. It's a more efficient use of your RP and will unlock more things for you (since every unlock gets you 3 cards for that item as well), including at least a few armor mods.

Madness

So remember when 343 said they learned about how poor their defend rounds were in Escape from ARC and how it was easily one of the rounds everyone loses. I finally get Escape from ARC and very first round is defend the armory and by time we even reach it from base spawn elites have swarmed. We regroup and we do a decent job protecting. Then the next round is protect the forerunner core and from armory spawn to forerunner core area the core is already being attacked and the area has no ammo nearby and is just a shit ton of knights and crawlers. We barely win and it was core destruction imminent by timer for round. We regroup again and it is defend the garage and within seconds the garage is now swarmed again, phaeton in air with ridiculous auto aim.

Did they not test these rounds. Things like spawns, ammo, they all affect it as well as increasing respawn timers. Who cares if they made it easier to know the objective is defend the garage if you just do not have the time or good spawns to do anything.

Depending on how you want to approach things, stick with bronze/silvers until you get RP refunds. It's a more efficient use of your RP and will unlock more things for you (since every unlock gets you 3 cards for that item as well), including at least a few armor mods.
Will do. Don't mind relying upon loadouts and cards I have in decent quantity as long as nobody else gives me shit for it :)

so this is free to play this weekend, but I hear there's no campaign matchmaking?
Oh man, but that reminds me, there's campaign scoring now. Will need to give that a spin. Haven't gotten much time with the campaign since they tweaked the AI.

How do you get the Grunt Goblin boss in Firefight? I've played at least 8 or so games and still haven't seen it once.

It took me two nights of playing pure firefight to see them once. I had at least my first ten games done before I finally found one. I was starting to believe they didn't exist.

Anybody gonna be playing firefight tonight?

Dice

Next time I fight a grunt mech I'm going to try The Answer if it's late enough to have that high of a REQ.

Did they not test these rounds. Things like spawns, ammo, they all affect it as well as increasing respawn timers. Who cares if they made it easier to know the objective is defend the garage if you just do not have the time or good spawns to do anything.
They are bad, and defend the core ones are easily the worst. There have been so many of these defend missions where it is all the way across the map and by time any of us get there it's already 1/3 gone, even 1/2 sometimes.

op_ivy

halo pro league week 5 day 2 starting @ www.twitch.tv/halo

HCSProLeague.jpg

first up, renegades vs optic, a match renegades should win easily but, well, they havent been playing all that well lately... also, nV vs clg. can nV pull out the win they were on the very verge of recently? especially considering clg has a (terrific) sub in for possibly their best player and possibly halo's best player?

Okay this should not happen. I feel like the number of times I'm put on good teams versus put on bad teams is largely skewed to being put on bad teams. How does this even happen? My amazing plat 1 slayer ranking

halo pro league week 5 day 2 starting @ www.twitch.tv/halo

HCSProLeague.jpg

first up, renegades vs optic, a match renegades should win easily but, well, they havent been playing all that well lately... also, nV vs clg. can nV pull out the win they were on the very verge of recently? especially considering clg has a (terrific) sub in for possibly their best player and possibly halo's best player?
nice. just got to work and pulled up twitch.

Alright I'm back for the moment and as soon as my download is done I'll be able to play some placement matches and some sweet firefight.

What's needed for the company atm? Is ground vehicles still a big thing? If so I can work on it and do what I can.

Dice

RE: Low ammo and REQ costs.

REQ weapons should never disappear. If I die and go back to where I was, I expect that weapon to be there unless a teammate picked it up.

Firefight is fun, but I've never had such a strong desire to strangle my teammates
For me it isn't even them being dumb in relation to the objective. It's more like... Do not come stand in front of me when I am obviously shooting at someone. Do not run me over with a vehicle. Do not push me off a ledge into 10 enemies. Do not go to where I obviously went to recharge and then draw the attention of enemies with explosives.

Isn't it curious how when you get a team that can clear the objectives well, they never do any of these things? Gee, I wonder why on earth that would be.

Optic pulls even on the series 1-1 with Renegades. I think if the Pro League was only slayer, Optic would be a much better team. They just don't handle objectives well at all.

Edit: Beaten

Edit2: lol following the stream chat - "Bubu pass me the Dubu." lol

op_ivy

series score of 3-1, game 3 ctf truth was a win by a score of 3-0, but that series was waaaaaay closer than those stats indicate. renegades gets the win, but still looking incredibly shaky as a team.

Ugh. Why did I even bother watching that series? Optic with the chokes yet again. They should have won that Stronghold game. Then it would come down to a game five slayer matchup, which they're not bad at. APG had a chance to do something with the plasma pistol and whiffed.

I turned the stream off. Are they having issued with twitch?

EDIT: A question for anyone who has purchased the pro team skins. Did you get any HCS Contender skins as well? I'm still on the fence, but continue to entertain the idea of getting the Optic pack. Why couldn't they be priced at $5 instead of $10? At $5 I would have considered getting all of them. At $10 I'm not sure if Ill get any, but one pack at most if I do get any. I really wish I was a bigger fan of EG, cuz I like their skin designs the best, but my heart is with Optic. I guess I like rooting for underdogs.

Top Bottom